PDA

View Full Version : Satellites Reveal Subglacial Streams in Antarctica

Fraser
2007-Feb-21, 08:35 PM
Although it looks ancient and unchanging, the ice sheet in Antarctica is a surprisingly active place. Deep beneath the sheet's surface, there are waterways, channels and pipes that connect various subglacial "lakes". ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/02/21/satellites-reveal-subglacial-streams-in-antarctica/)

niin
2007-Feb-21, 10:00 PM
So, does this mean that we can't trust those ice samples that is drilled and used to look back in time?
If the ice can melt and drain away, i can't see how we can get any reliable timeline information from ice samples.

John Mendenhall
2007-Feb-22, 03:22 PM
So, does this mean that we can't trust those ice samples that is drilled and used to look back in time?
If the ice can melt and drain away, i can't see how we can get any reliable timeline information from ice samples.

Good point. Certainly they'll have to be cautious.

bill mendenhall
2007-Feb-23, 03:25 AM
Ya, know, I live about 67 feet above sea level and I'm going to have beach front property in 10 yerars or less.

3rdvogon
2007-Feb-23, 03:06 PM
Perhaps of equal importance does this mean that Lake Vostok is not as isolated from the world outside as previously imagined.

It could mean that when they eventually develop the technology demonstrator ROV which is planned as a method to explore Europa, then it will not be entering a lake that has remained frozen in time for millions of years instead they will be exploring a place that has recieved an annual influx of sludge from the outside world all through the millenia.

John Mendenhall
2007-Feb-26, 03:30 PM
Perhaps of equal importance does this mean that Lake Vostok is not as isolated from the world outside as previously imagined.

It could mean that when they eventually develop the technology demonstrator ROV which is planned as a method to explore Europa, then it will not be entering a lake that has remained frozen in time for millions of years instead they will be exploring a place that has recieved an annual influx of sludge from the outside world all through the millenia.

That's two good 'let's stop and think about this' ideas in a row on this humble thread, to say nothing of Bill's reminding us sea level + dwellers of what's in store from even a modest rise.