PDA

View Full Version : Book-TV: Neil DeGrasse Tyson - Feb 24-25

sarongsong
2007-Feb-24, 08:52 AM
Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Death By Black Hole and Other Cosmic Quandaries
...talks about his new book of collected essays about the cosmos...author of...Origins: Fourteen Billion Years of Cosmic Evolution (with Donald Goldsmith) and The Sky Is Not the Limit: Adventures of an Urban Astrophysicist
C-SPAN2 Book TV (http://www.booktv.org/feature/index.asp?segID=7936&schedID=477): February 24-25
(Saturday 10 PM, Sunday 3:15 and 7 PM ET)http://bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

parallaxicality
2007-Feb-24, 09:03 AM
I have to say I don't like Neil De Grasse Tyson; I don't think he's done his personal rep any favours with his conduct over the whole "Pluto thang". Making fun of little kids is not tactically wise behaviour, particularly for a scientist, since little kids remain the largest demographic that is actually interested in science.

sarongsong
2007-Feb-24, 10:15 AM
Not that familiar with him or any controversies; just happy to find something astronomy related on ye olde boobe tube. http://bautforum.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

sarongsong
2007-Feb-27, 12:32 AM
He brought up a fascinating thought at lecture's end; since chimpanzees share ~98% of human DNA, what if there were a creature "above" us that had the advantage over humans of the equivalent of the ~2% difference that separates us from chimps.

LynnF1
2007-Feb-27, 02:18 PM
As a layperson, I found the lecture's tone "spot on", as they say. I feel that everyone should be exposed to such passionate and engaging people of science.

publiusr
2007-Mar-02, 11:49 PM
He is the New Carl Sagan.

Bearded One
2007-Mar-04, 04:57 PM
I have to say I don't like Neil De Grasse Tyson; I don't think he's done his personal rep any favours with his conduct over the whole "Pluto thang". Making fun of little kids is not tactically wise behaviour, particularly for a scientist, since little kids remain the largest demographic that is actually interested in science.
I didn't like his behavior over the Pluto issue either and that has tarnished my image of him. He should have included it in the planets exhibit. He could have put a disclaimer in the exhibit stating his viewpoint, but at the time Pluto was a planet and he should have included it.

Other than that I think he does a fine job of presenting science to the general public. Seems obsessed with black holes, but there's nothing wrong with that :)

parallaxicality
2007-Mar-07, 12:10 PM
I didn't like his behavior over the Pluto issue either and that has tarnished my image of him. He should have included it in the planets exhibit. He could have put a disclaimer in the exhibit stating his viewpoint, but at the time Pluto was a planet and he should have included it.

I didn't mind that so much; what got to me was the way he talked about it afterwards, and the way he dissed those thousands of kids who sent him letters asking him to put Pluto back. He could have been nicer is all.