PDA

View Full Version : Sign here if you never got that blasted Mars Hoax...

The Patriot
2007-Feb-25, 10:27 PM
About how Mars was going to approch the Earth so closely as to look as large and bright as the full moon?

I didn't., so... *signs*

foreignkid
2007-Feb-26, 04:13 AM
A family member, who knows how interested in astronomy I am, genuinely believed the message and was very eager to send it to me. Fortunately, I had enough info from the BA and the Nasa site to convince them otherwise.

2007-Feb-26, 02:10 PM
I didn't., so... *signs*

There wasn't an expiration year on many versions of it, and it has appeared every summer since it was (sort of) valid in 2003, and it's escaped into the wild of the Internet, so you'll have more chances to receive it, probably as long as you live -- or until someone invents a pill that makes gullible people skeptical.

Roy Batty
2007-Feb-26, 05:40 PM
-- or until someone invents a pill that makes gullible people skeptical.
That would be this pill (http://gulligo.com/) then :D

Hydro
2007-Feb-26, 06:50 PM
That would be this pill (http://gulligo.com/) then :D

:clap: I also like the acronym for the "Institute." :razz:

Ingo
2007-Mar-06, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I read it on the AboveTopSecret forums somewhere, I actually watched for mars :doh:

djellison
2007-Mar-09, 08:26 AM
Never saw the email - so ticked no.

Doug

spaceman22
2007-Mar-25, 09:13 PM
I did.And when I tried looking for it it was cloudy.

The Patriot
2007-May-21, 03:32 AM
There wasn't an expiration year on many versions of it, and it has appeared every summer since it was (sort of) valid in 2003, and it's escaped into the wild of the Internet, so you'll have more chances to receive it, probably as long as you live -- or until someone invents a pill that makes gullible people skeptical.

%@$# e-hoaxes... it's as if the innumerable "awareness virus" e-mails you get aren't enough.

Why don't those pranksters just CUT IT OUT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Occam
2007-May-21, 09:03 AM
Yes, not only did I receive several emails about it but - and this is the kicker - it was seriously added as an item in the newsletter of my daughter's school.
I had to call and explain things to them.

OneHotJupiter
2007-May-21, 02:15 PM
Yeah , my Grandma called me up , all exited to tell me that Mars would be as big as a full moon , I had not heard the rumor then (2003) , she was aware of my 'pre-occupation' with Mars , so she thought it would be something I would freak out about , I told her then , that a full moon size mars is utterly impossible unless YOU get very close to Mars Herself , which at the moment is not one of my options , It is pretty funny to think that some people believed this one.

Roy Batty
2007-May-21, 02:45 PM
Yeah , my Grandma called me up , all exited to tell me that Mars would be as big as a full moon , I had not heard the rumor then (2003) , she was aware of my 'pre-occupation' with Mars , so she thought it would be something I would freak out about , I told her then , that a full moon size mars is utterly impossible unless YOU get very close to Mars Herself , which at the moment is not one of my options , It is pretty funny to think that some people believed this one.
Hey, I think it's pretty cool your grandma was on the interweb :)

OneHotJupiter
2007-May-21, 04:57 PM
Actually the reality is NOT so cool , Granny didn't hear this on the web , get this. . . It was printed as fact in our local 'NEWS'paper!!

I still have the article , it was in the Chico 'Enterprise Record'.

The headline read like this , 'Mars to be as big as full moon in once in a lifetime event'

This is on one hand very funny , but also very unfortunate , People really believed this whopper!

They did take the time to print a retraction several days later after the astronomy professor at Chico state went on the proverbial 'rampage' over it.

The real plus side was that said professor decided to invite all who were interested in a free discussion at our local observitory to dispel all rumors , so we got a neat lecture and one thing led to another , soon we were staring at globular clusters and waxing astronomy til the wee hours.

a rare treat in a college town where beer bong engineering is considered a science.

Peter Wilson
2007-May-23, 10:44 PM
Do I sign there if I "never got" that blasted Mars Hoax, or if I never "got it"?

:confused:

R.A.F.
2007-May-24, 08:05 PM
I still have the article , it was in the Chico 'Enterprise Record'.

Surprised I missed it.

I'm also surprised to find someone on the board who lives so close to me. :)

I'm posting from Magalia.

Identity 4
2007-Jun-05, 03:31 AM
Reason #437 why i dont read most stuff in my inbox beyond just the title... :lol: I think i remember seeing somehting about that in there somewhere..hm...I probably just chucked it. Whats next? Saturn making an eclipse with the sun over parts of africa?? lol

-=Identity 4=-