PDA

View Full Version : What is that

bmpbmp
2003-May-26, 03:48 PM
Hi all how are you doing today , I am just curious here but what is the big dot near about 7:00 on the soho pic,

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/realtime/javagif/gifs_small/20030526_1418_c3.gif

I noticed it lower yesterday it seems like its creeping its way towords the sun, is it supposed to hit it,

I am curious to know what body it is and where it is sceduled to go.

Thanks in advance

tracer
2003-May-26, 04:10 PM
A bright spot, that looks like it's creeping "towards" the sun?

My first guess would be: Venus.

Laser Jock
2003-May-26, 04:13 PM
Here I go feeding the troll, but...

Go check out an animation of the last couple of days:

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/LATEST/current_c3small.gif

You will see that it's a background star and will not crash into the sun. :roll:

Note added:

I don't think it's Venus since it's not moving WRT the background of stars.

bmpbmp
2003-May-26, 04:13 PM
will hit the sun

tracer
2003-May-26, 04:26 PM
So you are saying that venus will hit the sun
*sigh* ... no, I am not saying that at all.

I am saying that, since Venus orbits closer to the sun than the Earth does, then, when viewing the sun from the plane of the ecliptic (as SOHO does), Venus will appear to move directly toward the sun at some points on its orbit and directly away from the sun at other points on its orbit.

Get one of those red balls on a string. Have your brother or sister whirl it around quickly above his/her head. Now, position a slow-motion movie camera so that its looking edge-on at the plane of the ball's revolution, and film it. Notice that at some points of the film, the ball appears to be travelling directly toward your brother or sister's hand (the hand he/she is using to whirl the ball), while at other times, it appears te be travelling directly away from his/her hand. This does not mean the ball is going to actually hit the hand.

Of course, as Laser Jock pointed out, the object in question isn't Venus anyway, because it's not moving with respect to the background stars. (I didn't poke around for the SOHO animation, and just posted a first guess given your description.) Here's a big secret for you: SOHO is in Earth orbit, and the Earth is revolving around the sun. This means that, as SOHO is kept pointed toward the sun, the background stars are going to seem to move, because SOHO's "camera angle" on the background stars has to keep changing in order to keep it pointed toward the sun.

David Hall
2003-May-26, 06:27 PM
I believe it's Aldeberan (http://www.astro.uiuc.edu/~kaler/sow/aldebaran.html). The Sun is almost exactly halfway between it and the Pleiades at this time, and there are a bunch of dimmer stars around it (The Hyades).

Comixx
2003-May-26, 10:05 PM
Why is it that bmpbmp cant seem to understand that the universe isnt 2-dimensional? Just because an object, be it comet, inner planet, or background stars, seems to be moving towards the sun does not mean it will, in fact, impact the sun. You see, even though the sun is huge, the distances between objects in space is still vast...something that looks like it's only centimeters from the sun's surface could in fact be millions of kilometers away, to the front, to the rear, or in the case of your latest "object" lightyears away to the rear.

Really, bmpbmp, educate yourself a bit by reading the SOHO site, the BA's SOHO (http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/planetx/soho.html) page, or a children's book on astronomy would even do, before you post any more questions here.

jest
2003-May-26, 10:14 PM
Why is it that bmpbmp cant seem to understand that the universe isnt 2-dimensional? Just because an object, be it comet, inner planet, or background stars, seems to be moving towards the sun does not mean it will, in fact, impact the sun.

The blame goes to Star Trek. Ever notice they never (or almost never) decide to suddenly go UP in their ships? It's always forward and a bit of side to side, and the occasional reverse. lol. A lot like Atari, really.

Reacher
2003-May-27, 05:32 PM
I have never seen a sci-fi(that i can remember) that has its ships come our of warp/hyperspeed/window to meet another ship, with one on a funny angle. they generally seem to be the same way up.

Glom
2003-May-27, 06:15 PM
I believe Peter DeLuise was making jokes about this issue in his commentary of the Stargate SG-1 episode '2001', for which he was the director.

carolyn
2003-May-27, 06:43 PM
Thought bmpbmp had been banned? :-?

tjm220
2003-May-27, 08:04 PM
Thought bmpbmp had been banned? :-?

The BA has shown mercy (for now).

Comixx
2003-May-27, 08:51 PM
bmpbmp may not do their own research, they may type in the subject line of their posts instead of the body (making it extremely difficult to decipher their questions sometimes), and asks repeatedly about the same topics, but they dont necessarily meet the definition of a troll. In fact, their posting of followup answers, questions, and attempts at defending themself sufficiently puts them in the stubborn catagory instead of the troll catagory. We have several of those here on these boards...but I digress :)

beskeptical
2003-May-28, 07:04 AM
bmpbmp,

There seems to be some question as to whether or not you are asking serious questions or are just having fun reading responses to off the wall concerns. Would you be willing to tell us a little more about yourself? What on the soho pictures in particular has you worried? Are you coming from the zeta site? Are you new to astronomy? Are you worried about something in particular? Do you believe there is a big conspiracy by the government to hide the truth from the little people?

You haven't seemed to be bothered by some folks' belief you are not sincere. I for one am withholding judgement as I do not have enough to base judgement on.

Mainframes
2003-May-28, 10:41 AM
Why is it that bmpbmp cant seem to understand that the universe isnt 2-dimensional? Just because an object, be it comet, inner planet, or background stars, seems to be moving towards the sun does not mean it will, in fact, impact the sun.

The blame goes to Star Trek. Ever notice they never (or almost never) decide to suddenly go UP in their ships? It's always forward and a bit of side to side, and the occasional reverse. lol. A lot like Atari, really.

They do go up and down in Star Trek 2 : THe Wrath of Khan, when they outwit him in the nebula by going up and down because he was 'thinking 2-dimensionally..'

Grey
2003-May-28, 11:04 AM
Actually, though, if you look at the recent pick of the week (http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/pickoftheweek/), there are two comets (probably fragments of a single comet originally, since they seem to be in the same orbit) that pass close enough to the sun to be vaporized on 24 May. You can actually see the ghost remnant of the tail after the comet passes. The real things that SOHO images are pretty cool, there's no need to invent imaginary ones! :)