PDA

View Full Version : NASA Reveals a Sample Lunar Base

Fraser
2007-Feb-27, 10:15 PM
For the upcoming lunar return missions, the astronauts will be staying on the surface of the Moon far longer than they did during the Apollo. They'll need someplace safe to live. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/02/27/nasa-reveals-a-sample-lunar-base/?1365)

Grand_Lunar
2007-Feb-28, 01:39 PM
Given that this is a prototype, I hope the real deal is a bit larger. Unless, of course, they wind up sleeping elsewhere.

These are exciting times; prepping for the return to the moon, and plans for staying there.

Before we know it, a rectangular object will be found at Tycho!

Ronald Brak
2007-Feb-28, 02:11 PM
As it all has to come from earth I don't think it will be much bigger because of the immense cost of lugging something to the moon. I wonder how it is going to be powered? If they end up staying for 180 days that's going to include at least 6 lunar nights. Will they beam microwave power to it from earth or do they have some other plan?

antoniseb
2007-Feb-28, 04:37 PM
I suspect that the 180 day missions will probably be at one of the locations with year-round sunshine.

Launch window
2007-Feb-28, 06:09 PM
Given that this is a prototype, I hope the real deal is a bit larger. Unless, of course, they wind up sleeping elsewhere.

The Ares will be a great rocket but it ain't no magic wand and it will still have limited payload (Saturn-5 had about 110 tonnes to LEO, while Ares1 and AresV will add 125+25 tonnes or 150 to LEO )

Ronald Brak
2007-Feb-28, 06:25 PM
I understand the proposed lunar lander will carry a crew of four and six tons of payload. Six tons of payload isn't much. I could fit it all in my spare room without taking out the junk that is already there.

VPCCD
2007-Feb-28, 06:48 PM
Ok, I'm a bit confused is this just one part of the base or the enite thing, surley this not the entire "base" that nasa has been talking about?
Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I'm new here.

Occam
2007-Feb-28, 07:21 PM
It's a concept prototype to test the idea. There is no necessity for the prototype to be larger. I'm pretty sure that any real lunar base would be modular, so each mission could add a new section.

Doodler
2007-Feb-28, 08:06 PM
Betcha those are partially inflatable.

VPCCD
2007-Feb-28, 10:04 PM
It's a concept prototype to test the idea. There is no necessity for the prototype to be larger. I'm pretty sure that any real lunar base would be modular, so each mission could add a new section.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

transreality
2007-Feb-28, 10:40 PM
I'm glad it wasn't a huge thing with telescope domes, mass-drivers and smelters this looks feasable.

Grand_Lunar
2007-Mar-01, 12:23 AM
I understand the proposed lunar lander will carry a crew of four and six tons of payload. Six tons of payload isn't much. I could fit it all in my spare room without taking out the junk that is already there.

That's a heck of a space room!

I don't think all the stuff in my shed comes to six tons, the shed itself included.

Given that this is an inflatable structure, six tons ought to go a long way.

It makes sense it this is but one part of a modular base. That makes a lot of sense.

Suppose they do what Apollo planned to do; launch an unmanned lander full of supplies, then send the manned one down to put it all together.

BigDon
2007-Mar-01, 03:44 AM
And include a small nuke generator.

VPCCD
2007-Mar-07, 03:13 AM
Are there any other options to inflatiable bases or are they our only option?
I guess they would be the most easy to transport and build.

BigDon
2007-Mar-07, 06:02 AM
I am reading the Apollo surface journal and this picture:

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/alsj/a14/AS14-64-9075.jpg

really caused me to experiance a serious claustrophobic reaction. Its during the Apollo14 mission and the two astronauts walked more than a mile away from the LM. You look at the picture and realize there is absolutely no air anywhere except in your suit and in the LM, which has the interior volume of an old Toyota pickup camper shell. None. zip. No air. On the whole planet. As far as you can see.

Those bases are pretty big in comparison. Still wouldn't go myself. But I don't mind if any of you all want to go. Heck, I'll help wind up the rocket for you.

Nick4
2007-Jun-11, 03:02 AM
I would love to go to the moon