PDA

View Full Version : A backwards galaxy

ToSeek
2002-Feb-07, 02:16 PM
The latest Hubble Heritage image (http://heritage.stsci.edu/2002/03/supplemental.html)

Kaptain K
2002-Feb-07, 05:51 PM
It is mentioned that NGC 4622 is the result of a merger of two galaxies. Perhaps the "leading arms" belonged to one of the original galaxies and will eventually be disrupted and integrated into the "normal" galactic pattern.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kaptain K on 2002-02-07 12:53 ]</font>

Hale_Bopp
2002-Feb-07, 06:13 PM
Interesting theory...however, every pair of interacting galaxies I have seen become quite disrupted before they would merge and I find it hard to fathom that the spiral arms would stay that intact in a merger. I would be interested if there was a mechanism that could achieve this.

Of course, I would also be interested in whatever is making this thing spin the wrong way!

Rob

DJ
2002-Feb-07, 06:37 PM
I saw this on Space.com today and then did a search on NGC 4622 and got a number of hits... apparently this is old news from around 1992.

I've noticed this more frequently at s.c lately... started happening about the same time as the ads.

ToSeek
2002-Feb-07, 06:57 PM
On 2002-02-07 13:37, DJ wrote:
I saw this on Space.com today and then did a search on NGC 4622 and got a number of hits... apparently this is old news from around 1992.

I've noticed this more frequently at s.c lately... started happening about the same time as the ads.

I don't think that's a fair accusation in this situation: the story is based on the latest Hubble Heritage image, which was just released today.

Hale_Bopp
2002-Feb-07, 07:25 PM
How about saying it was thrust back into the spotlight by the latest Hubble Heritage Image /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Rob

ToSeek
2002-Feb-07, 07:40 PM
On 2002-02-07 14:25, Hale_Bopp wrote:
How about saying it was thrust back into the spotlight by the latest Hubble Heritage Image /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Rob

That's one heck of a spotlight if it can light up an entire galaxy! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

DJ
2002-Feb-07, 09:07 PM
I don't think that's a fair accusation in this situation: the story is based on the latest Hubble Heritage image, which was just released today.

I will humbly disagree that it's unfair. After reading much of the material, it was known as early as '89 that something was going on. The research that developed the inner vs. outer arm rotations occurred in 1992-1993. The presentation on s.c refers to this as "Hubble Finds Backwards Galaxy," with further text reading "The finding, made with a Hubble Space Telescope image, was first presented in January at a meeting of the ..." definintely dilates the efforts of those early pioneers who did this with more traditional tools.

As a pseudo-scientist, I find the presentation offensive.