PDA

View Full Version : Unique New Perspectives of Saturn

Fraser
2007-Mar-01, 09:28 PM
Now flying in a polar orbit around Saturn, NASA's Cassini spacecraft is now sending back completely unique images of Saturn, seen from overhead. The photograph that I've attached to this story shows Saturn seen from almost directly overhead. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/03/01/unique-new-perspectives-of-saturn/?1408)

antoniseb
2007-Mar-02, 12:50 PM
How many moons can you see in this picture? I found six so far.

Imminent Death
2007-Mar-02, 02:05 PM
These images are awesome. I especially like the over-exposed image showing the atmosphere.

:cool:

Whirlpool
2007-Mar-02, 02:50 PM
How many moons can you see in this picture? I found six so far.

Gee... I try to look where the 6 moons are .. but with my innocent, unprofessional eyes...

I would like to know...:think:

Sir.. can you tell where are the six...

:o

antoniseb
2007-Mar-02, 09:52 PM
can you tell where are the six...

For starters, there are four near the rings at about the one o'clock position. There's another very dim one at about 5 o'clock, and the other that I say was embedded in the rings about about 8 o'clock.

Doodler
2007-Mar-02, 11:26 PM
For starters, there are four near the rings at about the one o'clock position. There's another very dim one at about 5 o'clock, and the other that I say was embedded in the rings about about 8 o'clock.

Those are moons? I blew the image up to 400% through MSIE, and I wasn't sure if they were bad pixel data.

knealy
2007-Mar-02, 11:37 PM
There are some amazing features visible in the terminator of the over-exposed image from Cassini. ("Blinding Saturn" - Image #2588_7243.1)

If you look about a quarter of the way down from the uppermost end of the terminator right at the edge near the transition to total dark, you can see what looks to be concentric ripples as though something were dropped into the soup. What is this?

You have to download the full res 1.9M image and view it at full size to see this. There are many unusual dimples visible in this transitional band between the day and night. I'm hoping that they are not optical artifacts.

Any thoughts?

Whirlpool
2007-Mar-04, 10:38 AM

Gee...

Sir , those are moons?

Its hardly noticeable to me as a starter.

But , thank you for telling.

:)

Nick4
2007-Jun-07, 05:11 AM
Really cool pic