PDA

View Full Version : NASA Cutbacks Will Delay Moon Missions

Fraser
2007-Mar-01, 09:48 PM
The New York Times is reporting that recent cutbacks to NASA’s budgets will probably push back the human return to the Moon. Instead of retiring the Space Shuttle and sending the first spacecraft back to the Moon in 2014, the first missions won’t be until 2015 instead, according to NASA administrator Michael Griffin.

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/03/01/nasa-cutbacks-will-delay-moon-missions/?1404)

Grand_Lunar
2007-Mar-02, 01:49 AM
Since when did NASA plan on a moon mission in 2015?
Last I read, the target year was 2020 (2018 by the earliest).

Date aside, this makes me angry to know of the budget increase being frozen.
I'd write additional thoughts, but they'd violate political rules on this forum. And we don't need that here.

2007-Mar-02, 02:43 AM
Since when did NASA plan on a moon mission in 2015?

Yep. Somewhere between the NY Times story and Universe Today, the goals changed: from first mission to first landing (or maybe after UT picked it up, the Times corrected itself to first mission).

NY Times, now:

The craft that is to replace the space shuttle could be delayed because of recent budget reductions, pushing its first missions into 2015 instead of 2014, the NASA administrator, Michael D. Griffin, told a Senate committee on Wednesday.

Doodler
2007-Mar-02, 03:07 AM
Wow...a whole 12 months. I think my poor heart can handle that. ;)

Cripes, this last shuttle mission was only delayed what, three years?

Fraser
2007-Mar-02, 03:09 AM
I'm sure this is just the beginning of many delays.

Fraser
2007-Mar-02, 03:11 AM
I messed up my article. I've revised it.

Doodler
2007-Mar-02, 03:32 AM
I'm sure this is just the beginning of many delays.

Exactly. 2015 is only what, 8 years? That's a scoche more ambitious than Apollo, and not even close to the level of funding. 2018-2020 is still an intelligent bet, if it actually survives that long.

Rocketaholic
2007-Mar-05, 07:19 AM
It would appear to me that there needs to be more joint manned missions. The U.S., ESA, CIS, China and Japan should look into a real joint program. Joint space launch systems. There is a lot of unshared systems that could save time and $$$ if the knowledge and technology was actually shared.

It seems that ever since the end of Apollo, management and direction of what the focus is, is lost. I have been a space geek since birth and believe in manned and unmanned missions.

If we actually do get back to the Moon, there needs to be an established moon base for joint operations. There are a lot of private start up companies that want to support such a plan. This does not need to be just a NASA plan.

Doodler
2007-Mar-05, 03:28 PM
Pass, coordinating missions like that on a regular basis would lead to a Moon base that ends up like the space station. Maybe if the Russians' financial house were in better order and JAXA and the ESA had a manned program to begin with, maybe. After this last weapon test stunt, cooperation with China will amount to "we won't shoot you if you don't shoot us" for a while.

At the moment, its cheaper to go alone for a while.

Occam
2007-Mar-06, 01:52 AM
They should take away the Iraq contract from Halliburton and give them the space programme instead. Let NASA handle the war. That way, the war will cost much less, the troops will have better equipment and the space programme will have an endless supply of cash.

Nick4
2007-Jun-07, 05:15 AM
Man that suckes