PDA

View Full Version : Duh

clop
2007-Mar-02, 07:21 AM
OK I give in, I got it wrong :(

RussT
2007-Mar-02, 07:32 AM
Uh.............

For a moon-based observer's view, graphic artist Hana Gartstein (Haifa, Israel) offers this composite illustration. In the cropped version of her picture, an Apollo 17 image of Earth is surrounded with a red-tinted haze as sunlight streams through the planet's dusty atmosphere.

BigDon
2007-Mar-02, 10:54 PM
Did Clop do something silly and I miss it?

(Clop, don't you hate it when that happens?)

clop
2007-Mar-02, 11:01 PM
Yes very silly. I might tell you when the shame has worn off.

RussT
2007-Mar-02, 11:52 PM
Yes very silly. I might tell you when the shame has worn off.

Sorry clop!!! I could have shown that in a different way, and should have, because we have all done that at one time or another, when we have NOT taken that one extra second to re-read something we should have!!!

Squashed
2007-Mar-03, 01:58 AM
Could it be worse than my assertion that we should be able to see the dark side of the new moon, at night, with the earthshine?

And I did this on an astronomy board, too.

BigDon
2007-Mar-03, 02:11 AM
Once in the conspiracy forum, I misread a title and lit into someone for being a moon hoax believer when quite the opposite was true. Makes you feel silly for a long time.

eburacum45
2007-Mar-03, 02:24 AM
Could it be worse than my assertion that we should be able to see the dark side of the new moon, at night, with the earthshine?

And I did this on an astronomy board, too.

Well, you can see the dark side in those circumstances- just not very clearly. What is the error?

Squashed
2007-Mar-03, 02:30 AM
Well, you can see the dark side in those circumstances- just not very clearly. What is the error?

I could be wrong (again) but isn't the new moon only visible (if it were visible) in the daytime?

clop
2007-Mar-03, 05:19 AM
OK I'll come clean.

I looked at APOD yesterday

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap070302.html

with the title Solar Eclipse from the Moon.

And I thought, "no, a solar eclipse means that the moon is between the earth and the sun."

Like I say, "duh!"

RussT
2007-Mar-03, 07:30 AM
Uh.............

For a moon-based observer's view, graphic artist Hana Gartstein (Haifa, Israel) offers this composite illustration. In the cropped version of her picture, an Apollo 17 image of Earth is surrounded with a red-tinted haze as sunlight streams through the planet's dusty atmosphere.

Which is why I should have just put..."You probably just missed this part of the caption" (The Bold).

Squashed
2007-Mar-03, 04:02 PM

For further clarification you are correct that the dark side can be seen with earthshine but in my mind I was equating the "dark side" with the "far side".

The dark side eventually includes the entire surface of the moon as it goes through its monthly rotation but the far side is never visible from the earth.

So I was thinking erroneously that when the moon is in the "new" phase that it had its far side towards the earth and then if we used earthshine we could see the far side - but that is wrong.

Kaptain K
2007-Mar-03, 06:38 PM
...the far side is never visible from the earth.
Well, technically, due to libration and nutation, we can see about 10% of the far side (but not all at once).

Maksutov
2007-Mar-04, 09:02 AM
clop, that wasn't silly.

This is silly (http://www.cleese.co.uk/gallery/15.jpg).

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/4879/iconbiggrin1kg.gif