PDA

View Full Version : Science Fiction Books That Should Be Movies

Graybeard6
2007-Mar-02, 08:25 AM
Please note that I wrote "Science Fiction", not "SciFi" or Fantasy (although I'd like to see a really good adaptation of Lovecraft).
I'll throw out a few to start.
1. Anne McCaffery's "Dragonriders". Some co-workers played with this back in the '80s (one of us was a dead ringer for Lessa) and decided it could only be done with animation. Now it would be possible with CGI and live actors.
2. S.M. Stirling's "Nantucket Trilogy". could be as easily shot as "Master and Commander" was.
I have more, but what do the rest of you think?

Tog
2007-Mar-02, 10:43 AM
I have no clue what genre House of Leaves would be, but I'd like to see it make it to the big screen. Intact.

The way it was written though, the chances of it surviving any form of adaptation would be slim.

Jason Thompson
2007-Mar-02, 12:34 PM
Kin Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy could make a nice series of films, I think. Effects technology should now really enable us to put scenes like the escape down the rapidly flooding (which for Mars at that time means great bursts of instantly freezing water erupting from the ground) canyon in the first book, or the crash of the space elevator, or the sight of the ocean waves in 1/3 G on the screen well.

Romanus
2007-Mar-02, 02:49 PM
I've wrote it before, and I'll write it again: Haldeman's The Forever War.

It'll never happen, though. :(

I also think Marusek's "The Wedding Album" could be an outstanding short-film--ditto for (Sterling's ?) "Scherzo With Tyrannosaur".

loglo
2007-Mar-02, 03:00 PM
David Gerrold's War Against the Chtorr..... just because we haven't had a decent scifi movie with a monster in it lately. And CGI can now do credit to the purple fur. :D

Swift
2007-Mar-02, 03:26 PM
I would love to see John Varley's Titan triology, just because I love the books and I think it would be visually stunning. But looking at Hollywood's history of converting great SF books into movies, I think they would just completely muck them up.

Disinfo Agent
2007-Mar-02, 03:29 PM
Worse yet, they would make it decent. All that free love and loveless sex is just too much for this politically correct age.

I've always thought that Philip K. Dick's Divine Invasion would make a great movie -- if it were produced by a film industry from another universe, of course.

ciderman
2007-Mar-02, 04:07 PM
Hmm, how about Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelles The Mote in Gods Eye?
Action, plot twists, stunning visuals, jolly good aliens, strong characters, shocking revelations, moral dilemmas & that essential for movies, a love interest.;)
& how about Pouls Andersons War of the Wingmen/The Man Who Counts, a well thought out(scientifically plausible) planet there! Who would make a good Nicholas Van Rijn? I'd nominate John Rhys-Davies.:D

Doodler
2007-Mar-02, 04:15 PM
Hate to fall back on a franchise novel, but I'd love to see I, Jedi done as a miniseries.

ToSeek
2007-Mar-02, 04:17 PM
Harlan Ellison wrote a brilliant script based on Asimov's I, Robot that I would love to see as a film.

Arthur C. Clarke's A Fall of Moondust seems almost intended to be turned into a movie, but even though it's a decent read it's not a classic.

ToSeek
2007-Mar-02, 04:17 PM
Kin Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy could make a nice series of films, I think. Effects technology should now really enable us to put scenes like the escape down the rapidly flooding (which for Mars at that time means great bursts of instantly freezing water erupting from the ground) canyon in the first book, or the crash of the space elevator, or the sight of the ocean waves in 1/3 G on the screen well.

Yeah, and you could take out all the political machinations, which would actually make the story interesting. ;)

skwirlinator
2007-Mar-02, 04:24 PM
I'd like to second David Gerrold's War Against the Chtorr (http://www.chtorr.com/books-chtorr1/chtorr1.htm).

Ronald Brak
2007-Mar-02, 05:12 PM
I've wrote it before, and I'll write it again: Haldeman's The Forever War.

It'll never happen, though.

I think think Hollywood might be willing to do an adaptation of The Forever War.

Hope you liked Starship Troopers.

Ronald Brak
2007-Mar-02, 05:15 PM
I would like to see Hollywood do Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land.

However, perhaps I should point out that I enjoy watching train wrecks.

Jason Thompson
2007-Mar-02, 05:26 PM
Yeah, and you could take out all the political machinations, which would actually make the story interesting. ;)

Lol. That would actually make the story very very dull indeed, since without them there is no plot except 'people go to Mars and build a house'. However, there is certainly room to tone them down a bit, and the great long passages of descriptive prose would be covered in a single panning shot.

The more I think about it the more I am sure it could survive the transition from book to film quite well. Having said that, I did think Blue Mars was a bit anticlimactic after such a long trawl. Green Mars was great though.

Doodler
2007-Mar-02, 05:33 PM
Ben Bova's Mars would be interesting. Particularly since the Vice President character would take on a slightly more interesting twist, what with current events. ;)

Swift
2007-Mar-02, 05:55 PM
I would like to see Hollywood do Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land.

However, perhaps I should point out that I enjoy watching train wrecks.
This (http://www.micro-blaze.com/graphics/devine.jpg)should make you happy. ;)

Trantor
2007-Mar-02, 06:44 PM
Isaac Asimov's "Foundation Trilogy" would be an excellent epic, if it could be done right. I was not too happy with the movie "I Robot" based on his short stories. I could see a Foundation movie as part drama/suspense and part sci-fi. There's not a lot of shooting or chasing, mostly a mystery type of movie, where the viewer is given pieces of the mystery, until the end where things are resolved(mostly) and you sit there and just admire the work of a true genius like Asimov.

I am skeptical that "Foundation" would be made the way Asimov would have liked. Hollywood would probably trash it pretty good.

Doodler
2007-Mar-02, 06:55 PM
Psychohistory with a single man who violates its ability to predict human behavior has been done already. The Matrix Trilogy.

Certassar
2007-Mar-02, 07:13 PM
I'd think Niven's Ringworld could be easily made into a great space adventure.

Also, I could imagine that some of Peter F. Hamilton's space operas could be made into epic TV series.

Trantor
2007-Mar-02, 07:16 PM
Psychohistory with a single man who violates its ability to predict human behavior has been done already. The Matrix Trilogy.

I do agree that some elements of The Matrix do agree with some of Asimov's work. I did enjoy the first Matrix movie and I did see some of the similarities to Asimov's Psychohistory, after that, the 2nd and 3rd movies lost me to a great extent.

"The Foundation" would require a director that wanted to make a work that would make Asimov proud. I have thought about this in the past, and think that a person such as Peter Jackon would probably do well. He did very well with "Lord of the Rings" - staying very close to the original books.

Disinfo Agent
2007-Mar-02, 07:17 PM
In my opinion, the original Foundation trilogy is too much of an idea-driven story to translate well into the screen.

agingjb
2007-Mar-02, 08:21 PM
I'm with Swift, Varley's Gaean trilogy, but filmed exactly, all of it, no concession to misplaced prudery, no conflation of characters or incidents for convenience - just as Varley wrote it (would that he had chosen to, and survived to, write sequels).

Doodler
2007-Mar-02, 08:25 PM
I do agree that some elements of The Matrix do agree with some of Asimov's work. I did enjoy the first Matrix movie and I did see some of the similarities to Asimov's Psychohistory, after that, the 2nd and 3rd movies lost me to a great extent.

"The Foundation" would require a director that wanted to make a work that would make Asimov proud. I have thought about this in the past, and think that a person such as Peter Jackon would probably do well. He did very well with "Lord of the Rings" - staying very close to the original books.

Consider your audience.

1) Foundation geeks who will tear into and nitpick every stinking variation from the Holy Text that makes it to the final cut.

2) People who's minds will fold like a pair of deuces facing a straight flush at the scope of the movie, who after reading RottenTomatos responses from moviegoers of the first type, will skip out and pick up the Matrix from Blockbuster on their way home.

Trantor
2007-Mar-02, 08:40 PM
Consider your audience.

1) Foundation geeks who will tear into and nitpick every stinking variation from the Holy Text that makes it to the final cut.

This part gave me a good laugh.:D I've never thought of it as a "Holy Text", but I can see that many Asimov fans would nitpick it, if it deviated too far from the original text. Still, I would love to see someone take up the challenge.

Humphrey
2007-Mar-02, 08:41 PM
I would like to see a Starship Troopers movie made.

Paul Beardsley
2007-Mar-02, 09:32 PM
What an excellent selection of suggestions!

The two that interest me most are Foundation and the Varley Gaia - partly because I read Titan before it was released in book form.

Foundation - it would have to be an adaptation that really, really captures the essence whilst ditching a lot of the literal details. A far-future planet where they depend on coal? Yeah, it could be done, but it would have to be either a passing reference or a retro scene flying through smoke-belching suburbs of Trantor. (Reminiscent of, but not like, the opening scene of Blade Runner.) Actually I might reread it with this approach in mind.

And that scene in, what, Second Foundation where a girl has a typewriter with reliable speech recognition but no data storage... Yeah, again it could be done, either retro or with, sya, a blue screen of death...

Meanwhile, a literal interpretation of Titan could be great.

mike alexander
2007-Mar-02, 09:58 PM
Me, I would settle for a good rendition of The Phantom of Kansas.

What I would REALLY like to see (and cannot possibly conceive how to do it right) would be The Stars My Destination.

Swift
2007-Mar-02, 10:20 PM
What an excellent selection of suggestions!

The two that interest me most are Foundation and the Varley Gaia - partly because I read Titan before it was released in book form.

My bold - explain please. Was it serialized or a short story?

Paul Beardsley
2007-Mar-02, 10:28 PM
It was serialised, in four issues of Analog. I've got a feeling it was Jan to Apr of 1979 - I'll check that later if I've still got them.

Doodler
2007-Mar-02, 10:49 PM
This part gave me a good laugh.:D I've never thought of it as a "Holy Text", but I can see that many Asimov fans would nitpick it, if it deviated too far from the original text. Still, I would love to see someone take up the challenge.

I'd be all for it, but when you get into the big stuff like that, I'd just as soon trim the f/x budget a tad and go miniseries it. Worked wonders for Dune and Children of Dune. Grander science fiction needs miniseries level time to tell the story, and with a lot less marketing needed, you can actually avoid the "pander to the masses" rape of the story's integrity.

SMEaton
2007-Mar-02, 10:49 PM
I think think Hollywood might be willing to do an adaptation of The Forever War.

Hope you liked Starship Troopers.Doublethink! (my bold).

Paul Verhoeven has directed a few movies that I liked: Robocop, Flesh + Blood, Total Recall... but I can't imagine how he could take Starship Troopers, with all of RH's very well defined ideas, and from that put out that typical hollywood pablum. But then he did turn a Philip K. Dick story into Total Recall.

My nomination for book-to-movie is The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress. Drama, action, love story, prescient AI, ballistic rocks... who could ask for anything more?

Doodler
2007-Mar-02, 10:50 PM
:clap: You win the thread.

vonmazur
2007-Mar-02, 10:58 PM
Richard Mckenna, who wrote "The Sand Pebbles", also wrote an interesting Sci Fi story shortly before he died, "Hunter Come Home" Would make a really good movie.....

Dale in Ala

Lianachan
2007-Mar-02, 11:13 PM
The War Of The Worlds by H.G. Wells needs a proper adaptation, and I quite fancy seeing films based on Philip Jose Farmer's Riverworld series. I vaguely recall a miniseries or film of To Your Scattered Bodies Go, though.

Paul Beardsley
2007-Mar-02, 11:27 PM
The War Of The Worlds by H.G. Wells needs a proper adaptation,
Absolutely. There have been previous threads on this subject, but really, it deserves to be done properly - good though the recent version was.

Ditto The Time Machine. The 2002 remake was offensive.

and I quite fancy seeing films based on Philip Jose Farmer's Riverworld series. I vaguely recall a miniseries or film of To Your Scattered Bodies Go, though.
Well, the first few minutes covered Scattered Bodies. It then went straight into Fab Riverboat. This miniseries was one instance where the "liberties" were mostly justified - notably the idea that not everybody was resurrected at the same time. The horses were a naff idea though.

Van Rijn
2007-Mar-02, 11:46 PM
Lol. That would actually make the story very very dull indeed, since without them there is no plot except 'people go to Mars and build a house'. However, there is certainly room to tone them down a bit, and the great long passages of descriptive prose would be covered in a single panning shot.

The more I think about it the more I am sure it could survive the transition from book to film quite well. Having said that, I did think Blue Mars was a bit anticlimactic after such a long trawl. Green Mars was great though.

I liked the technology in those stories, but the plot made me eyes glaze over. I ended up skimming much of those books. A movie would need, I think, a very different plot, but the "look" and the scale of what they are doing would be very interesting on the screen (much as with a Ringworld movie).

Van Rijn
2007-Mar-02, 11:49 PM
Hmm, how about Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelles The Mote in Gods Eye?
Action, plot twists, stunning visuals, jolly good aliens, strong characters, shocking revelations, moral dilemmas & that essential for movies, a love interest.;)
& how about Pouls Andersons War of the Wingmen/The Man Who Counts, a well thought out(scientifically plausible) planet there! Who would make a good Nicholas Van Rijn? I'd nominate John Rhys-Davies.:D

Yes! I must second both of those nominations. Actually, as loath as I am to say it, I would like to see Mote on the screen even more than The Man Who Counts. The one issue with JRD is if he could get the Van Rijn accent right.

tdvance
2007-Mar-02, 11:51 PM
I'd second "Ringworld", subject to it being done well. I have visions of an inside-out (I mean, outside-in) Star Wars death-star battle scene though, knowing Hollywood, with instant communication around the ring and everything.

The first RAMA book would make a good movie too.

mike alexander
2007-Mar-02, 11:53 PM
Good choice, vonmazur. Although I once read an interview McKenna gave where he said he considered The Sand Pebbles a science fiction novel in the broadest terms (bascially humans meet advanced alien civilization).

And it's a truly fine novel as well. The ending just sticks it in your gut.

Lianachan
2007-Mar-03, 01:09 AM
Absolutely. There have been previous threads on this subject, but really, it deserves to be done properly - good though the recent version was.
Couldn't stand it myself.
Ditto The Time Machine. The 2002 remake was offensive.
It certainly was. I like this version (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054387/) though.
Well, the first few minutes covered Scattered Bodies. It then went straight into Fab Riverboat. This miniseries was one instance where the "liberties" were mostly justified - notably the idea that not everybody was resurrected at the same time. The horses were a naff idea though.
Ah right. I can't remember it in much detail, having only seen a bit of it (a few years ago, and once). Did manage to find it on IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0310952/) though.

Makgraf
2007-Mar-03, 07:24 AM
Foundation - it would have to be an adaptation that really, really captures the essence whilst ditching a lot of the literal details. A far-future planet where they depend on coal? Yeah, it could be done, but it would have to be either a passing reference or a retro scene flying through smoke-belching suburbs of Trantor. (Reminiscent of, but not like, the opening scene of Blade Runner.) Actually I might reread it with this approach in mind.

And that scene in, what, Second Foundation where a girl has a typewriter with reliable speech recognition but no data storage... Yeah, again it could be done, either retro or with, sya, a blue screen of death....
[Spoilers on Asimov novels ahead] Okay now I'm the proverbial "Foundation geek" who loves literalism in movies (I'm against, for example, Lord of the Rings. I say this not to start an argument on that but to demonstrate my literalist bone fides). However even with literalism you can change stuff esp. very anacronistic stuff like going back to "coal and oil". Although as a Foundation Geek I should point out that that was a reference to the periphery and the Empire kept nuclear power. So I don't think there ever are smoke-belching suburbs of Trantor.

Anyway, with that said I'll repeat a suggestion I've said elsewhere. Foundation would make a terrible movie but it would make an excellent play. It would be completely doable and all the special effects (like the aura) could be done with lighting. The Mule, by contrast, would be an excellent movie. Think of the pitch: Star Wars meets The Usual Suspects. You could play up the action (Asimov jumps ahead from the Hari Seldon debacle: perfect opportunity for a chase scene as the enemy ships land?) Yes you're starting in the middle of the story, but it can be summed up by, who else, Hari Seldon at the beginning (much like, say, the opening of Dune. But good). The dialogue's already even written. Have some classy old British actor do it, it'd be awesome.

parallaxicality
2007-Mar-04, 07:45 PM
I agree with Magraf. If I were to do the Foundation series, I would strip down the first one and a half books into 45 minutes, and then do a movie and a half based on the second half of Foundation and Empire and Second Foundation. The first book is basically setup, and the whole Bel Riose-Milton Devers section can be dropped entirely; even Asimov noted later in the story that it was unnecessary.

My dream scifi project is The Stainless Steel Rat and its sequels. I'd love to see it done in a kind of retro future where everyone is endlessly happy, wears lycra and takes food pills, and we're all in the cuddly fascism of Roddenberry. Thievery becomes the ideal job because it's the only interesting thing left to do.

Occam
2007-Mar-04, 08:19 PM

It's been done! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120201/

I have a list:
The Mote In God's Eye - Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle
Ringworld - Larry Niven
Protector - Larry Niven
The End Of Eternity - Isaac Asimov
The Dark Light-Years - Brian Aldiss
Seetee Ship - Jack Williamson

JonClarke
2007-Mar-04, 08:39 PM
Okay now I'm the proverbial "Foundation geek" who loves literalism in movies (I'm against, for example, Lord of the Rings. I say this not to start an argument on that but to demonstrate my literalist bone fides).

No argument from me, I thought Jackson's retelling apalling.

However even with literalism you can change stuff esp. very anacronistic stuff like going back to "coal and oil". Although as a Foundation Geek I should point out that that was a reference to the periphery and the Empire kept nuclear power. So I don't think there ever are smoke-belching suburbs of Trantor.

I agree, people erroneously think that a committment to a high fidelity to the source materials means that there can be no creative interpretation. They are wrong.

As for the coal-burning suburbs of Trantor, you are right, there weren't. The Empire core and The Foundation kept nuclear power, it was the break away planets on the periphery that lapsed back to fossil fuels.

Anyway, with that said I'll repeat a suggestion I've said elsewhere. Foundation would make a terrible movie but it would make an excellent play. It would be completely doable and all the special effects (like the aura) could be done with lighting. The Mule, by contrast, would be an excellent movie. Think of the pitch: Star Wars meets The Usual Suspects. You could play up the action (Asimov jumps ahead from the Hari Seldon debacle: perfect opportunity for a chase scene as the enemy ships land?) Yes you're starting in the middle of the story, but it can be summed up by, who else, Hari Seldon at the beginning (much like, say, the opening of Dune. But good). The dialogue's already even written. Have some classy old British actor do it, it'd be awesome.

It's been done as a radio play, with considerable effect, by the BBC. They did the whole trilogy. If you liked their adapation of LOTR, you'd probably like this. But I am not sure if it is available. Originally released in 1973 was recently rebroadcast in the UK, I believe, so it may be made available. I heard it in Oz in the late 80's

Jon

Alasdhair
2007-Mar-04, 09:21 PM
The BBC also did The Caves of Steel with Ed Bishop as Lije Bailey, a couple of years or so back

Ilya
2007-Mar-05, 02:50 AM
"Foundation" I think would be a complete flop even with all anachronisms removed. It has a much bigger problem, as far as today's audience is concerned. Think of it -- a centuries-long conspiracy which manipulates the entire history from behind the scenes with mind-control techniques are the good guys?? It will never fly. In fact, if something like "Foundation" were published today without the benefit of Asimov's name I think it would be unsaleable.

I too think "War Against Chtorr" series could make a good movie*. Although James McCarthy's sexual ambiguity will probably disappear. Problem with Chtorr, though, it is too long. Unless the director limits himself to one book, or maybe two, there is simply far too much to cram into one movie. Now that I think of it, "The Season for Slaughter" is most filmable, if first few minutes are done to fill the backstory, sans McCarthy.

Charles Sheffield's "Cold as Ice" would make a decent movie, and Hollywood might not even mangle it too much. I think I even know what mangling WOULD happen -- Hilda Brandt would become an unambiguous black villain (and die at the end), and Camille would sleep with SOMEBODY en route from Ganymede to Europa.

* But then, I am biased (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?p=398474#post398474)

danscope
2007-Mar-05, 03:11 AM
Hi, Interesting thread.
I have always been a fan of Robert H. Heinlein. He had a writing style that brought you into the future with a focused eye. You "were" there.
How about " Starman Jones", great book.
Citizen of the Galaxy, another great book. Do we really need a 5th remake of king kong? Where are the great producers with vision?
Best regards, Dan

Lord Jubjub
2007-Mar-05, 04:17 AM
Tommyknockers. OK, so it's a Stephen King horror tale. The actual text was overblown and in need of some considerable editing. A screenplay based on the same general plot would be awesone.

Out of the Silent Planet. . Perelandra. . .That Hideous Strength. Any comments?

Doodler
2007-Mar-05, 05:00 AM
It's been done! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120201/ (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120201/)

Lemme give you a coupon redeemable for one free clue. ;)

He knows about that abomination. He was referring to it being done right.

Makgraf
2007-Mar-05, 05:53 AM
It's been done as a radio play, with considerable effect, by the BBC. They did the whole trilogy. If you liked their adapation of LOTR, you'd probably like this. But I am not sure if it is available. Originally released in 1973 was recently rebroadcast in the UK, I believe, so it may be made available. I heard it in Oz in the late 80's

Jon
That is awesome. I really should try to track that down.

"Foundation" I think would be a complete flop even with all anachronisms removed. It has a much bigger problem, as far as today's audience is concerned. Think of it -- a centuries-long conspiracy which manipulates the entire history from behind the scenes with mind-control techniques are the good guys?? It will never fly. In fact, if something like "Foundation" were published today without the benefit of Asimov's name I think it would be unsaleable.
I don't know if "good guys" is the right word though. Asimov was always careful to protray ambivelence towards them. Certainly they're not the protagonists. Mark Rosenfelder has a fascinating essay along these lines (http://www.zompist.com/psihist.html):

But the Second Foundation has the thinking of a Politburo; its aim is explicitly to establish itself as a ruling elite over inferiors. They also suffer no appeal-- you can't face them, can't disagree with them, can't overthrow them; and indeed, they can not only repress dissent, but reach into your mind and remove that dissent, and leave you feeling happy about it, like poor Winston at the end of 1984.
Anyway, if you do The Mule you don't really get into the implications of the second foundation (the sequal might be problematic though :))

I too think "War Against Chtorr" series could make a good movie*. Although James McCarthy's sexual ambiguity will probably disappear. Problem with Chtorr, though, it is too long. Unless the director limits himself to one book, or maybe two, there is simply far too much to cram into one movie. Now that I think of it, "The Season for Slaughter" is most filmable, if first few minutes are done to fill the backstory, sans McCarthy.
Agreed, Chtorr would be awesome. Also awesome: another Chtorr book. *sigh*.

Humphrey
2007-Mar-05, 06:31 AM

Aye. I refuse to accept either of the two [and a proposed third] Starship Troopers movies were ever even remotely done with the book in mind.

I am willing to concede that the animated television series was taken in the spirit of the book.

Mentioned earlier: a Forever War book really would not work that well as a movie. It jumps around a bit too much and is a bit too..well...sexual To become mainstream.

Forever Peace, while not even close to as good as forever war, is far more pliable to become a movie.

I would enjoy some Robert Sawyer novels made into movies. they are generally excellent reads and very character driven. Sure he is a bit too deep into I.D. but hey, the plots and characters are still a really fun read for a majority of his books.

Musashi
2007-Mar-05, 07:18 AM
How about Niven and Pournelle's Footfall? Hollywood seems to love those kind of stories already, so maybe it could make it to the screen relatively intact.

JonClarke
2007-Mar-05, 07:33 AM
Out of the Silent Planet. . Perelandra. . .That Hideous Strength. Any comments?

OotSP is one of my favourites. it would be a grat film - if done properly. Do work howevewr it would have to be a period piece. I guess the chances of seeing that are smaller than a decent period piece war of the Worlds.

I like Perelandra too, but the nudity might be difficult for adaptation purposes.

I can't see anyone tackling THS - too complex and metaphysical for most directors and audiences.

Jon

Van Rijn
2007-Mar-05, 07:34 AM
How about Niven and Pournelle's Footfall? Hollywood seems to love those kind of stories already, so maybe it could make it to the screen relatively intact.

That could be interesting. I have to admit I'd like to see the Michael (http://www.up-ship.com/apr/michael.htm) in action. But I'd be willing to bet there would be protests at "glamorizing" nuclear bombs, even to save us from an alien invasion.

JonClarke
2007-Mar-05, 07:35 AM
The BBC also did The Caves of Steel with Ed Bishop as Lije Bailey, a couple of years or so back

Interesting. Was that a radio play too? I think Asimov's stories are eminently suitable for such a medium, as they basically all take place in doors and the action is mostly cerebral.

Jon

MG1962A
2007-Mar-05, 07:37 AM
Rendezvous with Rama, Arthur C Clarke.

I always adored how Rama after passing close to the Sun boosted out of the system with the whole of humaninty going WTF then realising Rama didn't even notice they existed

Citizen Of The Galaxy, Robert Heinlein

Tunnel In The Sky, Robert Heinlein

JonClarke
2007-Mar-05, 07:40 AM
I'd love a good Rama and I don't think anyone has done a movie of a world with spin gravity.

Jon

Graybeard6
2007-Mar-05, 07:41 AM
Tommyknockers. OK, so it's a Stephen King horror tale. [snip] Any comments?

Just one; it's not science fiction!

Van Rijn
2007-Mar-05, 07:48 AM
There are a number of Heinlein books I'd like to see as movies, but I think one of my favorites would be (properly done, of course) "Have Space Suit, Will Travel." It was the first Heinlein book I read, and my favorite of his juveniles.

Gillianren
2007-Mar-05, 08:23 AM

There are aliens!

Actually, it's my least favorite King.

Occam
2007-Mar-05, 10:38 AM

Ah, right. I'd like to add 2010 to that list then.

Ilya
2007-Mar-05, 01:38 PM

I think "Footfall" is nothing special. The only things that distinguish it from zillion other alien invasion stories are the number of protagonists and the level of detail (and the resulting heft). Remove the details -- which is necessary to fit it into a movie, -- and you have an entirely linear run-of-the-mill story. Just the kind Hollywood loves! :)

Parrothead
2007-Mar-05, 05:25 PM
Greg Bear's "EON". I've read that "The Forge of God"/"Anvil of Stars" and "Darwin's Radio"/"Darwin's Children" have been optioned.

Swift
2007-Mar-05, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Musashi
How about Niven and Pournelle's Footfall? Hollywood seems to love those kind of stories already, so maybe it could make it to the screen relatively intact.I think "Footfall" is nothing special. The only things that distinguish it from zillion other alien invasion stories are the number of protagonists and the level of detail (and the resulting heft). Remove the details -- which is necessary to fit it into a movie, -- and you have an entirely linear run-of-the-mill story. Just the kind Hollywood loves! :)
I understand what you are saying Ilya - I cant' speak for anyone else, but it might be nice to see a well made, semi-scientific alien invasion movie, and Footfall might have a chance, at least based on the book. It is almost surprising that someone in Hollywood hasn't made it; certainly the Fithp would not be a challenge for current special effects. Some of the story is probably a little dated now, like Cold-War stuff with the Russians, but it might be interesting to update it to the current world.

It might even be better as a mini-series of TV, if you spent the money on the effects, you could really get into some of the alien psychology stuff.

Alasdhair
2007-Mar-05, 07:50 PM
Interesting. Was that a radio play too? I think Asimov's stories are eminently suitable for such a medium, as they basically all take place in doors and the action is mostly cerebral.

Jon

Yes, it was on Radio 4

Certassar
2007-Mar-05, 08:52 PM
"Footfall" - Baby elephants from outer space!! Yeah! I love it already! :-)

BTW, what ever happened to the Ender's Game movie?

jamesabrown
2007-Mar-05, 08:56 PM

Um, was that sarcasm?

Doodler
2007-Mar-05, 08:57 PM
BTW, what ever happened to the Ender's Game movie?

Ugh...no...stop...don't... They couldn't. No way to touch that one and not completely garbling the crap out of it. For starters, Ender killing the other team leader will likely be dropped, even though its one of the key elements to how he grows, and the part with his brother and sister playing political pundit via hacked accounts is vomitously Disney. I never could take it seriously. RTS video gamer saves humanity? Oh no no no, please, just don't...

vonmazur
2007-Mar-05, 10:35 PM
Good choice, vonmazur. Although I once read an interview McKenna gave where he said he considered The Sand Pebbles a science fiction novel in the broadest terms (bascially humans meet advanced alien civilization).

And it's a truly fine novel as well. The ending just sticks it in your gut.

Thank you sir! The short story was truly great, especially for the era...The Sand Pebbles was also one of the best....However I have a new suggestion to add to this fine thread...Phillip Jose Farmer's classic short story; "The Jungle Rot Kid on the Nod..." (If Tarzan was written by William Burroughs instead of Edgar Rice Burroughs.....)

Dale in Ala

Maksutov
2007-Mar-06, 12:39 AM
Thank you sir! The short story was truly great, especially for the era...The Sand Pebbles was also one of the best....However I have a new suggestion to add to this fine thread...Phillip Jose Farmer's classic short story; "The Jungle Rot Kid on the Nod..." (If Tarzan was written by William Burroughs instead of Edgar Rice Burroughs.....)...So any scenes involving space flight would lumped together in a chapter titled "Naked Launch"?

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif

Lianachan
2007-Mar-06, 01:18 AM
What about Star Smashers Of The Galaxy Rangers or The Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison?

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency or The Long Dark Tea-time Of The Soul by Douglas Adams?

Films of Patrick Tilley's Amtrak Wars series might also be interesting.

mike alexander
2007-Mar-06, 02:04 AM
'A Canticle for Liebowitz' by Walter Miller. While some might object to the religious overtones, the characters are very richly drawn.

'The Listeners' by James Gunn. At first glance it's just 'Contact' warmed over, but the thrust of the story seems, to me, to be quite different.

Swift
2007-Mar-06, 04:17 AM
'A Canticle for Liebowitz' by Walter Miller. While some might object to the religious overtones, the characters are very richly drawn.

Wonderful story, but I also wonder if it might be a little dated and how well it could be updated post-Cold War.

Occam
2007-Mar-06, 04:54 AM
What about ...
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency or The Long Dark Tea-time Of The Soul by Douglas Adams?...

Absolutely! Is it just me or does anyone else think Johnny Depp would make a great Dirk Gently?

SolusLupus
2007-Mar-06, 05:15 AM
Any William Gibson novel. Preferably Neuromancer.

Also, Halflife could make a good movie or animation. I know it's not a book, but it's still cool.

MG1962A
2007-Mar-06, 06:50 AM
What about Star Smashers Of The Galaxy Rangers or The Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison?

As much as I would like to see Star Smashes made. I am not sure how Hollywood would handle some of the themes. Maybe off Hollywood, English perhaps could turm it into a worthwhile project, but I dont think mainstream Hollywood can do it

Graybeard6
2007-Mar-06, 07:02 AM
I've been waiting for someone to come up with that. Also, how about "The Sparrow" by Maria Doria Russell?

Paul Beardsley
2007-Mar-06, 08:09 AM
Absolutely! Is it just me or does anyone else think Johnny Depp would make a great Dirk Gently?
My first reaction to this is, no way!

I'm not sure why. I think it's got to be someone who initially seems normal but whose weirdness shows through gradually.

Ah, I've got a concrete reason.

In the second book, Dirk Gently realises he's going to be four hours late for an appointment. His first reaction is to go into a panic and try to get there as quickly as possible. But then he stops and thinks about it. He thinks, which is better, arrive four hours late in a panicky, flustered state? Or arrive four hours and five minutes late, but in a calm state?

Johnny Depp wouldn't have that problem. He'd just think, Oh look, I'm four hours late. Oh well, I am so smooth I can talk my way out of the problem.

Meanwhile, I have an idea for an SF film that would be brilliant, and need virtually no special effects. It's Dying Inside by Robert Silverberg. I see it being done in the style of, say, Finding Forrester. It could be updated, but it would be nicer if it was set in the sixties and seventies. It would almost certainly need voice-over narration to make it clear that David Selig is telepathic, but that his ability is becoming increasingly unreliable in his middle age.

Of course, a lot of people would say it wasn't science fiction because it doesn't have aliens and ray guns, but what the hey.

skwirlinator
2007-Mar-06, 10:27 AM
So, I would like to see StarTrek go away and Fred Saberhagen's Berserker universe get a shot at a series and movie. I like popcorn!

NOVELS:

* BERSERKER, Ballantine, 1967. Ace, 1980. Ace, 1992.
* BERSERKER BASE, Tor, 1987.
* BERSERKER BLUE DEATH, Tor, 1985.
* BERSERKER FURY , Tor, 1997.
* BERSERKER KILL, Tor, 1993.
* BERSERKER MAN,Tor, 1992.
* BERSERKER PLANET,Tor, 1991.
* BERSERKER PRIME, Tor, 2003.
* BERSERKER STAR, Tor, 2003.
* BERSERKER THRONE,Tor, 1986.
* ROGUE BERSERKER, Baen, 2004
* SHIVA IN STEEL, Tor, 1998.

COLLECTIONS:

* BROTHER ASSASSIN, Tor, 1993.
* BERSERKER ATTACK, 1987. A special limited edition for Waldenbooks Otherworlds Club.
* BERSERKER LIES,Tor, 1991.
* BERSERKER WARS,Tor, 1981. Tor, 2003.
* ULTIMATE ENEMY, Baen, 1987.

BERSERKER
by Fred Saberhagen
Published by BALLANTINE, 1967. Published by ACE, 1978. To be reprinted by BAEN, 1997.
Copyright (c) 1967 Fred Saberhagen

Long ago, in a distant part of the galaxy, two alien races met--and fought a war of mutual extinction. The sole legacy of that war was the weapon that ended it: the death machines, the BERSERKERS. Guided by self-aware computers more intelligent than any human, these world-sized battlecraft carved a swath of death through the galaxy--until they arrived at the outskirts of the fledgling Empire of Man.

These are the stories of the frail creatures who must meet this monstrous and implacable enemy--and who, by fighting it to a standstill, become the saviors of all living things.

Stories included:

* Fortress Ship
* Goodlife
* In Temple of Mars
* Mr. Jester
* Masque of Red Shift
* Patron of Arts
* Peacemaker
* Sign of the Wolf
* Stone Place
* Face of the Deep
* What'T' and 'I' Did

http://www.berserker.com/FredsBerserkers.html

I'd love to see his swords get a series too!

ARDNEH'S SWORD, Tor, 2006.

1st BOOK OF SWORDS, Tor, 1984
2nd BOOK OF SWORDS, Tor,1985
3rd BOOK OF SWORDS, Tor, 1985

1st BOOK OF LOST SWORDS: WOUNDHEALER'S STORY, Tor, 1988
2nd BOOK OF LOST SWORDS: SIGHTBLINDER'S STORY, Tor, 1988
3rd BOOK OF LOST SWORDS: STONECUTTER'S STORY, Tor, 1988
4th BOOK OF LOST SWORDS: FARSLAYER'S STORY, Tor, 1989
5th BOOK OF LOST SWORDS: COINSPINNER'S STORY, Tor, 1989
6th BOOK OF LOST SWORDS: MINDSWORD'S STORY, Tor, 1990
7th BOOK OF LOST SWORDS: WAYFINDER'S STORY, Tor, 1992
LAST BOOK OF LOST SWORDS: SHIELDBREAKER'S STORY, Tor, 1993; Tor, 1999 reprint.

FIRST SWORDS, Tor, Jan 1999. Reprint. An omnibus of the three original BOOK OF SWORDS

SWORDSI-III:COMPLETE SWORDS, Doubleday Book Club Edition
THE BOOK OF LOST SWORDS: THE FIRST TRIAD, Doubleday Book Club Edition
THE BOOK OF LOST SWORDS: THE SECOND TRIAD, Doubleday Book Club Edition
THE BOOK OF LOST SWORDS: THE END GAME, Doubleday Book Club Edition

AN ARMORY OF SWORDS, Tor, 1995, 1995
(A collection set in the SWORDS world by authors: Fred Saberhagen, Walter Jon Williams, Gene Bostwick, Robert E. Vardeman, Thomas Saberhagen, Pati Nagle ., Michael A. Stackpole, Sage Walker)

THE TWELVE SWORDS
http://www.berserker.com/info_swdprop.htm

Roger Zelaney's Chronicles of Amber would be fun as well

The Chronicles of Amber The First Chronicles of Amber The Second Chronicles of Amber
Nine Princes in Amber (1970) Trumps of Doom (1985)
The Guns of Avalon (1972) Blood of Amber (1986)
Sign of the Unicorn (1975) Sign of Chaos (1987)
The Hand of Oberon (1976) Knight of Shadows (1989)
The Courts of Chaos (1978) Prince of Chaos (1991)

Amber Short Stories "Prolog to Trumps of Doom" (1985)
"The Salesman's Tale" (1994)
"Blue Horse, Dancing Mountains" (1995)
"The Shroudling and the Guisel"(1994)
"Coming to a Cord" (1995)
"Hall of Mirrors" (1996)
Miscellaneous The Complete Amber Sourcebook (1996)
Roger Zelazny's Visual Guide to Castle Amber (1988)
L'Univers d'Ambre (1996)
http://zelazny.corrupt.net/amber.html

John Carter of Mars (2009)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401729/

Rendezvous with Rama (2009)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0134933/

he guy who adapted I Robot is working on an adaptation of the Foundation Trilogy for FOX and the designated director are Shekhur Kapor who did 'Elizabeth' a couple of years back. They're planning two films mainly focusing on the second and third book, using the first book as the backdrop story. There's an interview with Jeff Vintar who adapted I Robot from August 2004 on this page:

http://www.screenwritersutopia.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=2713

scroll down to approx. the middle of the interview where he talks about the Foundation films.

The Sci-Fi Channel is making a four part mini-series based on the "Ringworld" books.

Next (2007)
Which Philip K. Dick story is this movie based on?
The Golden Man

1. John Carter of Mars (2009)
2. Deathrace 3000 (2008)
3. Deathlok (2008)
4. He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (2008)
5. Untitled Philip K. Dick Biopic (2008)
6. Terminator 4 (2008)
7. Fahrenheit 451 (2007)
8. Duke Nukem Forever (2007) (VG)
9. Logan's Run (2007)
10. The Giver (2007)
11. The Boy from Out of This World (2007)
12. I'll Believe You (2007)
13. Babylon 5: The Lost Tales - Voices in the Dark (2007) (V)
14. Sanctuary (2007) (TV)
15. 2095 (2007)
16. Highlander: Vengeance (2007) (V)
17. Intergalactic Combat (2007)
18. Próxima (2007)
19. The Rapture (2007) (V)
20. Gutlump (2007) (V)
21. Freezer Burn (2007)
22. Human Nature (2007)
http://www.imdb.com/keyword/sci-fi/?sort=date

Gillianren
2007-Mar-06, 10:50 AM

I've always loved the title.

Johnny Depp is too thin to be Dirk Gently.

skwirlinator
2007-Mar-06, 10:52 AM
Dragonriders of Pern (2008)

Quote:
Here's what I've heard! So we'll probably be hearing more in the not so distant future. Yeah! Various websites have stated a 2008 release, but it's the movie business and it's going to take some time to do and to do it right (otherwise McCaffrey wouldn't have signed the deal with them). So just believe that it IS coming and hopefully soon!

======
Pern Heads To Big Screen

Anne McCaffrey's best-selling and long-running SF book series The Dragonriders of Pern will be adapted for the big screen by Canadian production company Copperheart Entertainment, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Copperheart, which was behind the 2005 Oscar-winning animated short Ryan, has optioned the 19-book series, which began with Dragonflight in 1968. The books are best known for having humans ride dragons with which they telepathically bond. With Dragonflight, McCaffrey became the first woman ever to win a Hugo Award for fiction, and she is one of the 2006 inductees into the Science Fiction Hall of Fame.

Copperheart, run by Steve Hoban, also has produced the Imax 3-D movie Cyberworld.

Pern nearly came to TV in a 2001 series for The WB from Battlestar Galactica creator Ronald D. Moore, but the network pulled the plug on the pilot after Moore refused to make changes to the Pern mythos that he thought would harm its integrity.

Source(s):
http://www.scifi.com/sfw/news/sfw_news_2...
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/fil...
http://www.copperheart.ca/

yuzuha
2007-Mar-06, 11:14 AM
I'll second The Mote in God's Eye, and Ringworld et.al. as a short miniseries, and The Forever War.

I've always thought Miller's "A Canticle for Leibowitz" would be great if it was done sort of like The Name of the Rose.

Clement's Mission of Gravity would be interesting, but I don't think viewers could relate to such alien looking main characters.
Poul Anderson's Tau Zero might be interesting

parallaxicality
2007-Mar-06, 02:37 PM
Johnny Depp is too thin to be Dirk Gently.

Wasn't Dirk Gently modelled on Stephen Fry?

Romanus
2007-Mar-06, 03:15 PM
Let me also second "Canticle". In the right hands, it could be truly magnificent...

mike alexander
2007-Mar-06, 04:42 PM
yuzuha mentioned 'Tau Zero', and I wish I had thought of it. Granted that cyclic universes seem to be ruled out, who really cares if the story is good? As Ted Sturgeon wrote, to hell with the science if it isn't good fiction.

The only problem I can think of is that much of the power in Poul Anderson's best stories comes from his writing in what I call the High Style: a slightly archaic use of words and phrasing that give some passages almost Biblical overtones. Near the climax of Tau Zero he wrote, for instance:

As far as humanity was concerned, or the most swiftly computing and reacting of machines, she fought a hurricane-but such a hurricane as had not been known since last the stars were melted together and hammered afresh.

I think A Canticle for Liebowitz could be adapted extremely well, given a good screenwriter (offers quick prayer, crosses self). Just to see and hear Abbot Zerchi's admonition to the group leaving on the starship before Armageddon would be worth it:

“Remember this Earth. Never forget her, but–never come back....If you ever come back you might meet the Archangel at the east end of earth, guarding her passes with a sword of flame...”

parallaxicality
2007-Mar-06, 05:21 PM
Never read Canticle, but looking at it on Wikipedia, I don't think it would be well suited for cinema. A television miniseries would be more appropriate, especially since it is effectively three separate but linked narratives.

SMEaton
2007-Mar-07, 01:07 AM
RTS video gamer saves humanity? Oh no no no, please, just don't...WarGames (http://imdb.com/title/tt0086567/), anyone? Actually, as a kid oh so long ago, I liked that movie.

How about David Brin's Startide Rising, but without making it into a Seaquest DSV-type laugh fest?

Vonnegut's Player Piano could make a good movie... or Galapagos. There are a lot of great colorful characters in most of his novels, and there are a lot of character actors working today that would fit the parts. An enterprising director/producer/script-writer could use the recurring characters and themes in Vonnegut's novels to make a series of films. Kurt's still alive, of course, and who knows if he'd be amenable to such a thing.

Roy Batty
2007-Mar-07, 01:22 AM
Vonnegut's Player Piano could make a good movie... or Galapagos. There are a lot of great colorful characters in most of his novels. An enterprising director/producer/script-writer could use Vonnegut's recurring characters and themes to make a series of films.
I quite liked the Slaughter House V adaptation.

Oh & I watched Wargames yet again not so long ago & still enjoyed it for what it was.
W.H.O.P.P.E.R. heh heh :D

ggremlin
2007-Mar-07, 02:05 AM
I usually just say "Here go again" when I hear Hollywood is going to abuse another of my favorite books. But I would like to see someone try tackling Jack Chalker's Well World books.

Pip
2007-Mar-07, 05:53 AM

I'm more of a Slaughter House III fan myself.

BigDon
2007-Mar-07, 07:45 AM
Anything by Allen Dean Foster, especially the Tar-Aiym Krang or Midworld

Serenitude
2007-Mar-07, 08:46 AM
Kind of going out on a tangeant here, but....

I think Knights of the Old Republic, and the sequel that would have been released had not LA made them finish the game where it was, would make better Star Wars movies than any of the 6.

There. I said it.

Revan pwns Vader and Obi.

And let Angalina Jolie play Bastilla :D

yuzuha
2007-Mar-07, 09:02 AM
Never read Canticle, but looking at it on Wikipedia, I don't think it would be well suited for cinema. A television miniseries would be more appropriate, especially since it is effectively three separate but linked narratives.

Well, it isnt mindless, whiz-bang entertainment, so no, it wouldn't be a 90 minute hit. More like a BBC Masterpiece theater production with several episodes... maybe like Elizabeth R http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_R

Dave Mitsky
2007-Mar-07, 11:18 AM
I think that The Legacy of Heorot would make a good science fiction flick.

Dave Mitsky

SMEaton
2007-Mar-07, 09:11 PM
I'm more of a Slaughter House III fan myself.Upon reading that post, and without conscious effort, my brain translated that into Sorority House Slaughter. And I've never seen that movie*!

Book to movie: Steven Brust's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Brust) To Reign In Hell would adapt well as a fantasy film.
Stephen Baxter's Xelee/Destiny's Children series might do well... his books are packed with incredible detail that could be done very well in a visual medium.

*more than three times

HenrikOlsen
2007-Mar-15, 09:19 AM
'A Canticle for Liebowitz' by Walter Miller.
I've always loved the title.

Well, if you go by loving the title, Zelazny's 'A Rose for Ecclesiastes' also springs to mind, would make for a rather different movie.

Jim
2007-Mar-15, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by Roy Batty

I'm more of a Slaughter House III fan myself.

I thought only the even numbered entries were any good?

mike alexander
2007-Mar-15, 08:12 PM
Two of Zelazny's stories that might work are Jack of Shadows and This Immortal, the former especially. It's extremely visual, even on the printed page. Jack himself is a nicely complex antihero, and I can see Johnny Depp doing a great job in the role.

Gillianren
2007-Mar-16, 03:09 AM
Well, if you go by loving the title, Zelazny's 'A Rose for Ecclesiastes' also springs to mind, would make for a rather different movie.

Also a great title. I've never read either work.

mike alexander
2007-Mar-16, 03:41 AM
Then get going and read them!

Gillianren
2007-Mar-16, 07:24 AM
There are literally hundreds of books in my house right now that I need to get going and read. (Most of them don't actually belong to me, but rather pressingly, several of them are library books.)

HenrikOlsen
2007-Mar-16, 08:15 AM
The Zelazny's fairly short, 30 pages or so.
Googling the title will get you the actual short story very easily (first hit) :)

It was written the year after he got his Master's in Elizabethan and Jacobean drama on top of a Bachelor's in English, I think you'd like it. :)

Gillianren
2007-Mar-16, 09:33 AM
Oh, that's lovely. Such language!

HenrikOlsen
2007-Mar-16, 12:26 PM
The early Zelazny's are some of my absolute favorites, and yes, the language is a large part of that.

When he was thunder in the hills the villagers lay dreaming harvest behind shutters. When he was an avalanche of steel the cattle began to low, mournfully, deeply, and children cried out in their sleep. He was an earthquake of hooves, his armor a dark tabletop of silver coins stolen from the stars, when the villagers awakened with fragments of strange dreams in their heads. They rushed to the windows and flung their shutters wide. And he entered the narrow streets, and no man saw his eyes behind his vizor. Horseman!

ToSeek
2007-Mar-16, 06:32 PM
Zelazny's one of the few sf writers known for his wordcraft as well.

mike alexander
2007-Mar-17, 06:20 AM
Zelazny was a magician with words. Ever read "Auto-da-Fe'"? Simultaneously an SF homage to and a sendup of Hemingway.

Roy Batty
2007-Mar-18, 08:09 PM
I haven't read much of Zelazny, but 'Eye of Cat' has been memorable for me.

Paul Beardsley
2007-Mar-18, 09:45 PM
I decided today I would re-read "Doors of his Face" and read "A Rose for Ecclesiastes" for the first time. To my delight, I found a book with both in on the shelf - so I don't have to go on an expedition into the more inaccessible parts of the loft.

Unfortunately I fell asleep before I even got to the end of the intro by Theodore Sturgeon. Needless to say I will try again later.

Dave Mitsky
2007-Mar-20, 09:04 AM
During my science fiction reading heyday, I was a big fan of Roger Zelazny's works.

ggremlin
2007-Mar-20, 05:20 PM
I was rereading "This Immortal", and I'm thinking this would make a great Hollywood movie. Where else can you found Alien Overlords, cannibals and mystical heroes and beasts in the same place?

Then the fever broke. Please do not forward this:naughty:

HenrikOlsen
2007-Mar-21, 05:32 PM
I was rereading "This Immortal", and I'm thinking this would make a great Hollywood movie. Where else can you found Alien Overlords, cannibals and mystical heroes and beasts in the same place?
Not forgetting interspecies prostitution and sex, though only discussed rather than shown, so that shouldn't affect the rating much.

weatherc
2007-Mar-21, 06:25 PM
Johnny Depp is too thin to be Dirk Gently.Agreed. But I thought of who would make a perfect Dirk Gently while watching the British version of The Office -- Ricky Gervais. (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0315041/) He's pudgy, British, and has the general aura of how I always pictured Dirk. I could really see him explaining the concept of the catflap as Newton's greatest invention with all seriousness in a movie.

eburacum45
2007-Mar-23, 07:46 AM
The state of CGI art has probably progressed to the point where a good version of Arthur Clarke's Childhood's End could be made; that story has many cinematic elements- giant ships floating over cities (an image stolen by Independence Day), demonic looking aliens, psychic powers, and the end of the world as we know it.

All the story needs is some interesting characters, never Clarke's strong suit.

SeanF
2007-Mar-23, 01:53 PM
...giant ships floating over cities (an image stolen by Independence Day)...
Nah, Independence Day stole it from V. V stole it from Childhood's End. :p

Childhood's End would make for an interesting movie, though I suspect there'd be a lot of flak from the fundamentalist Christians.

dogman
2007-Mar-24, 05:03 AM
All great suggestions.

Have I missed something or is it just assumed that "Way Station" ("Here Gather the Stars") is at or near the top of this list? I think I've seen some scenes for a screenplay posted ...

Three others for your consideration - all at least somewhat 'movie ready' as written:

"Needle" - although with teen-age kids as the main characters, I can see Disney picking it up, adding a girl, and making a mess out of it. The hardest part would be giving Hunter some real personality - he's (it's) mostly intellect in the story.

Clarke's "Rescue Party". Although a short story, with a direct plot and theme, there is (I think) enough leeway in the details to fill out 90-110 minutes on film. And I would love to see the S9000...

And the quintessential WWII submarine film - set in hyperspace - David Gerrold's "Yesterday's Children".

eburacum45
2007-Mar-24, 07:52 AM
Nah, Independence Day stole it from V. V stole it from Childhood's End.

Ah; the evolution of the meme.

tusenfem
2007-Mar-28, 04:55 PM
Nobody has proposed Orson Scott Card yet "Ender's Game"
But the problem is ofcourse not to spoil the end (which was done for me, when I was halfway through the book and two friends talked about, and at the end you find out that .... (I'll stop here!))

mike alexander
2007-Mar-28, 06:00 PM
We once discussed making Way Station into a movie. I think it was 2-3 years ago in a 'Great SF Novels that HAven't Been Made into Movies' thread.

phunk
2007-Mar-28, 06:54 PM
Nobody has proposed Orson Scott Card yet "Ender's Game"
But the problem is ofcourse not to spoil the end (which was done for me, when I was halfway through the book and two friends talked about, and at the end you find out that .... (I'll stop here!))

They're working on a movie already aren't they? I love the book and it would translate well into a movie I think, but where will they find that many child actors with the skill to handle those roles?

Makgraf
2007-Mar-30, 08:28 PM
They're working on a movie already aren't they? I love the book and it would translate well into a movie I think, but where will they find that many child actors with the skill to handle those roles?
The orginal suggestion of OSC to play Ender was Jack Lloyd[!] so that doesn't bode well for the skill thing. On the other hand, look at a movie like Narnia where they got a bunch of child actors who hand't really done anything before and that turned out well. Plus, there are all sorts of other things that the movie could spawn. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/02/18) (warning, mild profanity).

jamesabrown
2007-Apr-02, 02:24 PM
On the other hand, look at a movie like Narnia where they got a bunch of child actors who hand't really done anything before and that turned out well.

It did?

Gillianren
2007-Apr-02, 08:42 PM
It did?

I thought so. Certainly the acting wasn't the problem I had with it. Then again, I really like Tilda Swinton, and I'm very disappointed at the rumour I heard that they won't be making The Magician's Nephew.

jamesabrown
2007-Apr-03, 01:17 PM
I thought so. Certainly the acting wasn't the problem I had with it. Then again, I really like Tilda Swinton, and I'm very disappointed at the rumour I heard that they won't be making The Magician's Nephew.

I had to look her up and finally realized she played the character of the Witch, which I will agree was nicely done.

My wry comment was in response to your remark about the children's acting. I will admit the little girl who played Lucy was adorable, but I thought the girl who played Susan was made of wood. After a while, my displeasure with the child actors' performances gets too wrapped up with the story itself, which I enjoyed as a child and now find to be absurd. The movie only brought out that absurdity to me and left a bad taste in my mouth.

SeanF
2007-Apr-03, 02:52 PM
...I'm very disappointed at the rumour I heard that they won't be making The Magician's Nephew.
I'm disappointed to hear that, too. I was under the impression they had optioned all seven books.

IMDB lists Prince Caspian for next year and Dawn Treader for 2009.

At least they don't have the same problem as the Harry Potter producers do of needing to make all the movies before the actors outgrow the characters...

HenrikOlsen
2007-Apr-03, 04:02 PM
My wry comment was in response to your remark about the children's acting. I will admit the little girl who played Lucy was adorable, but I thought the girl who played Susan was made of wood.
Read the books and you'll realize that it's quite appropriate, Susan was made of wood:)

SeanF
2007-Apr-03, 04:08 PM
I will admit the little girl who played Lucy was adorable, but I thought the girl who played Susan was made of wood.
If it makes you feel better, James, Prince Caspian is the only other book in which Susan appears - except as an adult again in A Horse and His Boy.

Gillianren
2007-Apr-03, 06:54 PM
I'm disappointed to hear that, too. I was under the impression they had optioned all seven books.

I was, too. I have to admit that I don't recall where my information comes from; probably one of my local Friendly Suncoast Guys. (Suncoast is a US chain that sells DVDs at greatly-inflated prices but is the only local place to find certain things.) It's possible that my information is wrong; I quite hope it is. Tilda Swinton as Jadis in London would be a thing to behold.

I have always loved the books, and I'm glad they're finally making movies worthy of them. In the old BBC production, I tend to reference "That fat, squeaky girl who plays Lucy." Which is bad, given that Lucy is supposed to be thin and thoughtful.

And, yes, Susan is appalling. She is no longer a Friend of Narnia.

jamesabrown
2007-Apr-03, 08:36 PM
Read the books and you'll realize that it's quite appropriate, Susan was made of wood:)

Hmmm... I did read the books, long ago, and don't have any memory of that particular plot point.

Then again, I'm a non-subtle reader. I had to have someone spell out the religious references in The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe after I read it. I had completely missed them.

jamesabrown
2007-Apr-03, 08:37 PM
If it makes you feel better, James, Prince Caspian is the only other book in which Susan appears - except as an adult again in A Horse and His Boy.

I've got to admit it...that doesn't make me feel any better. However, my problems with the movie stem not only from the child actors but from the plot itself. I'd discuss more, but I don't think I could without veering into religious discussion, which I believe is outside the bounds of this forum.

Gillianren
2007-Apr-03, 08:59 PM
Hmmm... I did read the books, long ago, and don't have any memory of that particular plot point.

Well, in a figurative sense. She was a total prig who, as (I believe) Lady Polly put it, spent her whole life trying to be the age she is in Last Battle, and, now that she's reached it, will spend the rest of her life trying to stay that age.

Makgraf
2007-Apr-03, 09:25 PM
I've always felt Susan got a bad rap, I'd really recommend reading the short story "The Problem Of Susan" by Neil Gaiman (though I agree that the other children were better actors in the movie).

A Horse and his Boy might be... awkward, so to speak, in the current political climate. Too bad though, it was always my favourite book (though, in retospect, very problematic).

parallaxicality
2007-Apr-04, 08:15 AM
Ah yes. I do love the language used in that book; takes you back to an earlier era.

"That boy is manifestly no son of yours, for your cheek is as dark as mine, but the boy is fair and white, like the accursed but beautiful barbarians who inhabit the remote north."

They just don't write like that anymore...

Gillianren
2007-Apr-04, 08:47 PM
All of which is why I was so surprised that it was Magician's Nephew that they were threatening not to make. I mean, even Last Battle?

SkepticJ
2007-Apr-04, 09:14 PM
Any William Gibson novel. Preferably Neuromancer.

I'd like to see that as well, though with a little updating to the technology: Gibson has no cellphones in the future, and maybe make the decks keyboard-less

SeanF
2007-Jul-31, 03:31 PM
...I'm very disappointed at the rumour I heard that they won't be making The Magician's Nephew.
Gillianren, check out the little blurb at the bottom of this page (http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=31204eb8-5c68-493e-ad1c-5c52c4f519ab&entry=index&sid=rss_topstories&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories):

Mark Johnson, producer of The Chronicles of Narnia films, revealed that Disney will be unleashing a sequel every May, starting in 2008 and wrapping up in…2013! Prince Caspian is up next and shooting on The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is expected to kick off in late January or February for its 2009 release, after which the series will need a new director.
Every year through 2013 would suggest six more movies... :)

Swift
2007-Jul-31, 05:25 PM
The reawakening of this thread reminded me of something I read on John Varley's (http://www.varley.net/Main.htm#July_17,_2007) website recently:

July 17, 2007 - We’re pleased to announce that my trilogy of TITAN, WIZARD, and DEMON have all been optioned by a Canadian producer. His intention is to turn them into three mini-series for cable TV. (HBO was mentioned, though no particular company is involved yet.) This is extremely early times for this project. Development, which can last for years, begins now. Without mentioning this man’s name, I can tell you that he has a long career in the movie business, and seems to genuinely love the books. If you love the books, it is far too early to get your hopes up … but it wouldn’t hurt to cross your fingers. And be sure to check back at this site, as we will update you on any progress.

Gillianren
2007-Jul-31, 05:33 PM
Yay, Tilda Swinton as Jadis in London! Yay for rumour being wrong! (IMDB has info for nothing past Voyage of the Dawn Treader, of course.)

Paracelsus
2007-Jul-31, 06:57 PM
Well, there is one by E. C. Tubb that I hope won't be made into a movie! In the book, astronauts run afoul of a random spacetime phenomenon or alien (can't remember which) that literally turns people inside out. :sick:

My dad was the one who originally bought the book; I just read bits of it (the gory bits, of course, as the rest of the book was very tedious ;)).

stutefish
2007-Aug-03, 03:52 AM
Blatantly derailing this thread, I wouldn't mind seeing Outland remade, on a Siberian oil drilling station, with the McGuffin being lost artifacts of the ancients rather than laborers hopped up on goofballs (which would be taken as a given, and part of the backrgound for the story).

Occam
2007-Aug-03, 10:10 AM
The Dark Light Years - let's see 'em make that movie

mike alexander
2007-Aug-03, 03:52 PM
My god, it's been forty years since I read that.

Interesting challenge.

Lord Jubjub
2007-Aug-05, 11:33 PM
A Horse and his Boy might be... awkward, so to speak, in the current political climate. Too bad though, it was always my favourite book (though, in retospect, very problematic).

AHAB is not very problematic. The setting is essentially medieval Ottoman. As long they present it relatively accurately, the plot will work.

Tash and Tashlan, to understate the matter, will be a cross-cultural conundrum.

parallaxicality
2007-Aug-06, 05:46 AM
Lewis really got a bug in his ear about Islam towards the end of his life. He called it "the greatest Christian heresy". If Walden Media want to make their own contribution to the clash of civilisations, then they couldn't really do better than to film "The Last Battle."

Damburger
2007-Aug-06, 08:36 AM
What I would REALLY like to see (and cannot possibly conceive how to do it right) would be The Stars My Destination.

I'd go and see that. I'm not sure it really would be hard to do, in fact reading it I thought it could make a good movie, if it was done carefully.