PDA

View Full Version : Is SARS from outer space?

Bill Thmpson
2003-May-28, 03:41 PM
http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/65/72723.htm

Eta C
2003-May-28, 03:51 PM
Already dealt with in at least two other threads (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5681)

zwi
2003-May-29, 04:57 PM
I think this British scientist is a gentleman, of Indian origin, Chandra Wickramasinghe, who was associated with the late Fred Hoyle and an advocate of the Steady State and Panspermia

His hobby horse is that life is universal in this Universe

I dont think Eta's comment not even wrong applies here

Panspermia is quite possible; an idea that is two centuries or more before its time

I think Chandra wrote a letter to the Lancet which because of his fame published it

That is not unusual. They even published two letters of mine in the 1960's when I was young alive and had some good ideas As I look back from 2003 I am amazed that I was right :roll: in the contents of one of those letters, the other letter is so so. :wink: but not incorrect!

Hope this helps people understand that this is not British Science, I think it is the comment of one famous British astronomer/scientist

Best to all I am just recovering from an operation and the anesthetic so please forgive any stupidity Getting better every day thanks

BA Edit or delete as you think fit, please

Zwi

Argos
2003-May-30, 12:29 AM
SARS from space?

Look at its DNA. You´ll find that it´s just a slightly modified version of the common flu.

The incompetence of governments is astronomical.

tracer
2003-May-30, 01:14 AM
Aha! That's it! The flu comes from space!!

beskeptical
2003-May-30, 05:39 AM
SARS from space?

Look at its DNA. You´ll find that it´s just a slightly modified version of the common flu.

The incompetence of governments is astronomical.

Uh oh! Bad Medicine Alert! :D

Influenza virus causes the flu. It is a respiratory virus despite the misconception many folks have that it is an intestinal infection.

SARS is in the corona virus family. This family of viruses cause upper respiratory symptoms usually referred to as 'the common cold'. Corona viruses also cause a variety of intestinal infections.

There are about 200 known organisms that cause upper respiratory infections. About 35% of these infections are caused by as yet unidentified organisms.

SARS infects the LOWER respiratory tract. It appears to be causing intestinal infections as well. Influenza virus can also infect the lower respiratory tract.

upper respiratory infections, URIs = sore throat, nasal congestion, cough
lower respiratory infections = pneumonia

And there are a number of varieties of both of the above I will not bore you with.

But you are right in that the RNA (corrected after seeing the error of my ways. :wink: )clearly shows SARS did not come from space.

Argos
2003-May-30, 02:38 PM
I must have confounded the honorable family of mr. virus, but what I meant (and what matters here) is that there´s nothing exceptional with its DNA.

And I think this subject should be discussed in Against... Else we´ll be infected with hoaxes.

if I should stumble, catch my fall, yeah

David Hall
2003-May-30, 03:38 PM
I dont think Eta's comment not even wrong applies here

That's not a comment about the OP, that's just his sig.

Bob
2003-May-30, 03:45 PM
I believe that the most recent DNA analysis shows that this particular corona virus hopped species from civet cats to humans. Ironically, people in southern China eat civet cat, considered a delicacy, in the cold and flu season to ward off infection. Does panspermia allow for civet cats raining down from outer space?

zwi
2003-May-30, 07:57 PM
"Argos" said

but what I meant (and what matters here) is that there´s nothing exceptional with its DNA

Oh Yes there is something exceptional about its DNA

It doesnt have any DNA

Its an RNA virus

Say what you mean, even if its only a sig

It does matter

Really does

Let me say this also. This coronavirus. this RNA virus is an earthbound virus. It is of earthly origin. But Dr Wick should get a little respect, especially from folk who dont know what DNA and RNA is

:evil: Zwi

beskeptical
2003-May-30, 08:03 PM
Argos, it's my mission to correct flu misconceptions. It wasn't meant as a comment on your intelligence. :D

tracer
2003-May-30, 08:39 PM
Say what you mean, even if its only a sig
Um ... a user's sig gets appended to each and every message a user writes, and always contains the same text each time. It is meant to be a memorable quip that sums up something about the user's beliefs or personality, kinda like a bumper-sticker. It is not meant as, and should not be read as, having anything to do with the contents of the individual message above it.

Argos
2003-May-31, 02:22 PM
But Dr Wick should get a little respect, especially from folk who dont know what DNA and RNA is

Dr. who?

Argos
2003-May-31, 02:28 PM
Argos, it's my mission to correct flu misconceptions. It wasn't meant as a comment on your intelligence. :D

Beskeptical, I appreciate your help, as usual. :wink:

zwi, what I said should be read as: there´s nothing expceptional wiith its genetic material. Are you satisfied now? I don´t feel obliged to be precise about biology in an astronomy forum.

zwi
2003-May-31, 04:12 PM
Reply to all

Sorry to have misunderstood

Thanks for your input, all of you

:P

Zwi

BigJim
2003-May-31, 08:47 PM
Is SARS from outer space?

No.

beskeptical
2003-May-31, 09:18 PM
Is SARS from outer space?

No.

Depends on how far back in time one is referring to. Five+ billion years ago, yes, at least the components of SARS, last year, no. :wink:

BigJim
2003-May-31, 09:42 PM
That was my meaning. Thanks for correcting me. :wink:

Argos
2003-Jun-03, 04:11 PM
China girl by summer´s end
http://planeta.terra.com.br/informatica/ebm/bad/chinasummer.jpg

calliarcale
2003-Jun-03, 04:28 PM
Influenza virus causes the flu. It is a respiratory virus despite the misconception many folks have that it is an intestinal infection.

Thank you, and absolutely correct!

However, I'd just like to add a note as to *why* this confusion exists. It's a linguistic one.

The word "flu" is a very old one, and it used to mean almost any ailment that made a person feel crummy without being something more obvious. It is believed to be a diminutive of "influence" -- once upon a time, it was believed that if you were sick, you had some sort of influence acting upon you, possibly demonic in nature. Like many old medical terms, this one has suffered from the advance of science. What exactly is a flu? It's not very clear, because the colloquial useage differs from the medical useage. Colloquially, the archaic useage still prevails -- "flu" can refer to practically anything, although it's mostly tied today to viruses and gastrointestinal upset. Medically, it's really only supposed to refer to things caused by viruses in the influenza family. But language is a hard thing to control; it changes itself based on how people use it, and "the stomach flu" is still a well-known and well-understood term. Confusing the issue further, many doctors give in to the power of language and go with the colloquial useages, since that's what their patients use anyway.

So is there a stomach flu or isn't there? Yes and no. There is something called the stomach flu, but it's not really a medically-accepted diagnosis. It's just a colloquial way to describe an upset tummy that goes away by the next day.

beskeptical
2003-Jun-03, 04:52 PM

Thank you, and absolutely correct!

However, I'd just like to add a note as to *why* this confusion exists. It's a linguistic one.

....................So is there a stomach flu or isn't there? Yes and no. There is something called the stomach flu, but it's not really a medically-accepted diagnosis. It's just a colloquial way to describe an upset tummy that goes away by the next day.

It's not hard to see why the confusion exists. The problem is what the confusion leads to. Actually, I am a very practical person. It is not the medical correctness that is at issue. The issue is the miriad of influenza misconceptions that increase the disease burden on society.

"I don't need a flu vaccine, I never get the flu."
"What do you think the flu is?"
"Stomach upset."

"I got a flu vaccine and it [did/did not] work."
"How do you know?"
"Because I [did/did not] have [any/many] colds after my vaccine."

Misconceptions about the flu and the flu vaccine lead people to miss the chance to prevent it, to the tune of 20,000 deaths a year in the USA alone. And, 10% of those deaths are in persons under age 65, etc. etc.....