PDA

View Full Version : Best SF Comedy in Cinema: Round 3

Lord Jubjub
2007-Mar-11, 08:56 PM
Final results of Round 2. Since there was a tie for fifth and a small separation between fourth and fifth, I decided to go with the top four.

Galaxy Quest 21
Dr. Strangelove 21
Monty Python's Holy Grail 20
Princess Bride 18

Groundhog Day 16
Young Frankenstein 16
Life of Brian 14
Ghostbusters 14
Back to the Future 11
Spaceballs 11
Men in Black 11
Mars Attacks 9
Big Trouble in Little China 8
Shrek 6
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 5
The Incredibles 5

ToSeek
2007-Mar-12, 12:36 AM
Tough call! I've spent five minutes staring at the choices and still can't bear to pick just one. I'll come back later....

Gillianren
2007-Mar-12, 09:03 AM
Well, those are four of my top-five choices, right there. (Life of Brian was number five.)

Oh, poopie. I'm with ToSeek; I'll think it over some more and be back. (Actually, I've narrowed it down to two, but it's still hard going.)

Roy Batty
2007-Mar-13, 01:40 AM
Well they were indeed tough choices. I decided to go on not what makes me laugh out loud so much (Grail would of probably gotten that), but what gives me a more, all over internal chuckle & general feeling of well being after watching it.

So, Princess Bride it was! :)

Lord Jubjub
2007-Mar-13, 02:29 AM
Well they were indeed tough choices. I decided to go on not what makes me laugh out loud so much (Grail would of probably gotten that), but what gives me a more, all over internal chuckle & general feeling of well being after watching it.

So, Princess Bride it was! :)

Well, you and me against the world. . .

stutefish
2007-Mar-13, 02:44 AM
One more for Princess Bride here.

Gillianren
2007-Mar-13, 04:03 AM
I had to go with Dr. Strangelove in the end. I've spent a lot of the last few years studying film, and from a purely technical perspective, Strangelove is the best film. It's not light, and it's not actually the funniest, but I'd say it's the best.

Hydro
2007-Mar-13, 06:12 AM
Monty Python was my choice, mainly because of the many individual scenes that one may 'recreate' to an unsuspecting victim, leaving them completely confused and thinking you are bonkers, which is probably true if you quote that film! :)

Maksutov
2007-Mar-13, 09:18 AM

So, Princess Bride it was! :)Dr. Strangelove, without a doubt.

If one had to choose between this excellent movie and The Princess Bride, well, I'd take awareness over a cure for insomnia any day.

http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/muede/a030.gif

Jim
2007-Mar-13, 12:50 PM
"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

"That's right, sir, you are the only person authorized to do so. And although I, uh, hate to judge before all the facts are in, it's beginning to look like, uh, General Ripper exceeded his authority."

"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company."

All those very fine, serious actors, acting so very seriously, and it's just so funny.

parallaxicality
2007-Mar-13, 01:58 PM
I had to go with Dr. Strangelove in the end. I've spent a lot of the last few years studying film, and from a purely technical perspective, Strangelove is the best film. It's not light, and it's not actually the funniest, but I'd say it's the best.

Yeah. What she said.

NorthGuy
2007-Mar-13, 06:04 PM
There's no good way to set one of these above the rest; there're all great. Do I choose the one I enjoy the most, or do I chose the one that's the best overall film? Kind of a following your heart or your head sort of thing. In the end, I followed my video shelf. I chose Holy Grail because it's the only one of the four that I actually own on either DVD or VHS.

ToSeek
2007-Mar-13, 06:06 PM
I manage to trim it down to Dr. Strangelove and Princess Bride. The former is the better film, but the latter would be the one I'd be more inclined to sit down and watch. Since it's not getting much love right now, anyhow, that's what I went with.

Doodler
2007-Mar-13, 06:10 PM
One more for Princess Bride here.

Had to give the Bride her due. Strangelove was good, but even acknowledging its intent to be satire, there comes a point where I can't enjoy a movie where I feel the compelling urge to pimpslap the entire cast of characters.

Besides, knowing military personnel like I do, there are too many characters in that movie that make it all to non-satirical...

Van Rijn
2007-Mar-13, 09:04 PM
I picked Grail simply because it had the lowest number of votes at the time. If I had chosen later, it would have been Princess Bride (as it now has the lowest votes). Honestly, I'm not comfortable picking a best out of these four, as I like them for different reasons, but they're all very funny.

peter eldergill
2007-Mar-13, 10:07 PM
FOr the final round, I had to pick Galaxy Quest over Pricess Bride, for the SF reason. Here's how I judge a movie now: Would I see it again? Yes to both.

What would I rather see given a choice? Princess Bride, but to me it's not SF

Same with the Grail

Pete

Roy Batty
2007-Mar-14, 02:07 AM
What would I rather see given a choice? Princess Bride, but to me it's not SF

Same with the Grail

Pete
But it was my understanding this was the best Science Fiction and Fantasy competion & Lord Jubjub just abbreviated the title for these rounds?

Lord Jubjub
2007-Mar-14, 11:21 PM
Yes

Donnie B.
2007-Mar-15, 06:42 PM
Perhaps we should do a poll that covers only SF comedies. By my reckoning, only one of the four finalists here is science fiction. And I didn't vote for it.

Of course, we'd have to determine what is and is not SF. Maybe the next poll should be "which of these films is science fiction?"

parallaxicality
2007-Mar-15, 07:57 PM
Doctor Strangelove was hardly science fact. There is, as far as I'm aware, no such thing as Cobalt-Thorium G.

Though there are cobalt bombs, which are scary.

Doodler
2007-Mar-15, 08:09 PM
Doctor Strangelove was hardly science fact. There is, as far as I'm aware, no such thing as Cobalt-Thorium G.

Though there are cobalt bombs, which are scary.

It was fiction, but hardly science fiction, not in the literal sense.

Donnie B.
2007-Mar-15, 08:39 PM
It was fiction, but hardly science fiction, not in the literal sense.Exactly. If you include every film that contains dodgy science, then virtually everything Hollywood produces is science fiction.

For example, Airplane! would be SF by the same criterion. Turbojets that sound like piston/propellor engines, indeed!

Swift
2007-Mar-15, 09:57 PM
I manage to trim it down to Dr. Strangelove and Princess Bride. The former is the better film, but the latter would be the one I'd be more inclined to sit down and watch. Since it's not getting much love right now, anyhow, that's what I went with.
Yep, me too. Really, a four-way tie I would say, I love all four. Grail and PB are fantasy, not SF technically and as several had said, Dr. Strangelove is just a fantastic movie on so many different levels (and in glorious black and white).

Lord Jubjub
2007-Mar-16, 02:04 AM
I consider Strangelove to be sci-fi because of the speculation about the doomsday device. Such an automatic trigger was a staple in Cold War sci-fi until 1991. The movie was largely propelled, largely, by the presence of this device.

I like to combine sci-fi and fantasy in the same category because of that fuzzy line problem and because there are a lot of good fantasies. Galaxy Quest is pretty much a fantasy, if you think about it.

I had to choose between Strangelove and PB, also. I picked the Bride.

Gillianren
2007-Mar-16, 03:04 AM
For example, Airplane! would be SF by the same criterion. Turbojets that sound like piston/propellor engines, indeed!

According to the trivia track on the DVD, Zucker Abrams Zucker wanted a prop plane but the studio didn't. They compromised.

Roy Batty
2007-Mar-17, 01:28 PM
And there was I thinking it was a deliberate joke with the engines! :)

Btw this IS a scifi AND fantasy poll, as Lord Jubjub confirmed. Or are people saying the 4 don't fit in either category?

Gillianren
2007-Mar-17, 09:29 PM
And there was I thinking it was a deliberate joke with the engines!

I thought that for years, too. It is still funny, regardless of why they did it.