PDA

View Full Version : is the official NASA-GSFC's Hubble site accessible from your city/country?

gaetanomarano
2007-Mar-12, 04:12 PM

the (very important) NASA-GSFC's http://hubble.nasa.gov/ site is COMPLETELY INACCESSIBLE from my city and I don't know if that problem exists in other cities and countries in Europe and around the world

do you access it from your city/country?

Nicolas
2007-Mar-12, 04:33 PM
I'm in. You must be on the black list ;).

jamini
2007-Mar-12, 05:00 PM
Are you sure it's your whole city? You need to have Flash enabled to view that page.

gaetanomarano
2007-Mar-12, 05:14 PM
not possible since... a) the problem exists from months... b) it was inaccessible before my Hubble thread/posts... c) all other NASA sites are accessible... d) I'm one of the few that want to save it... :)

gaetanomarano
2007-Mar-12, 05:16 PM
Are you sure it's your whole city? You need to have Flash enabled to view that page.
all the browsers I use runs Flash and have no problems with Flash sites and animations

R.A.F.
2007-Mar-12, 05:23 PM
I'm one of the few that want to save it... :).

I'll grant that you're one of the "few" who want to save Hubble using unrealistic methods, but it's absurd to say there are "few" who are interested in Hubble's continued operation.

If there is a access problem, it sounds like it is on your "end".

Swift
2007-Mar-12, 05:28 PM
Ditto, no problem. Also checked several of the sub-pages and no problem.

gaetanomarano
2007-Mar-12, 05:51 PM
save Hubble using unrealistic methods...
"realistic" or not, my suggestion is the only way to save the Hubble when the after-last-repair-mission's (real) life-cycle will end (around 2013)

loglo
2007-Mar-12, 06:14 PM
Have you tried pinging the domain name to determine if it is browser or network related?

stutefish
2007-Mar-12, 06:17 PM
Have you talked to anybody else in your city if they are having the same issue? Have you asked your ISP if they're aware of any issues, or are able to assist you in troubleshooting this issue? Are you able to reach other nasa.gov sites, such as

www.nasa.gov
spaceflight.nasa.gov
www.jpl.nasa.gov

?

Also, what is the error message given by your browser, when you attempt to connect to hubble.nasa.gov ?

As a systems administrator, I'm glad to finally find a topic on this board that lies withing my area of expertise :D

mantiss
2007-Mar-12, 08:23 PM
Check your HOSTS files to see if that site is not being redirected to 127.0.0.1

gaetanomarano
2007-Mar-12, 11:37 PM
Have you talked to anybody else in your city if they are having the same issue? Have you asked your ISP if they're aware of any issues, or are able to assist you in troubleshooting this issue? Are you able to reach other nasa.gov sites, such as
www.nasa.gov
spaceflight.nasa.gov
www.jpl.nasa.gov
Also, what is the error message given by your browser, when you attempt to connect to hubble.nasa.gov ?
As a systems administrator, I'm glad to finally find a topic on this board that lies withing my area of expertise

I've not tested the site everyday, just some times in latest months ...all sites in your post and also the GSFC and its mission's pages work well ...the Hubble site still don't open its pages using any browser used (FastStone 2.1, Opera 9.1, IE 6 and Avant 10.2) so I've used a trick (why I not thought it before??? :o ) ...open the Hubble page with a free proxy server service found on internet that changes the IP address seen from the site's server ...that service adds lots of advertising, a frame and some pop-up windows (also slowing my ADSL under a dial-up speed) but WORKS and (finally) the Hubble pages appeared on my screen... :)

thank you for your help

however, since the Hubble site doesn't appear without the proxy service, I will post the question on an italian computer's forum to know if that happen in other cities