PDA

View Full Version : College Selection Help

Monoxide Child
2007-Mar-13, 05:48 AM
As a senior in high school, time is running out to decide what college I am going to attend. Because finances are a big issue, it looks as if I will be forced to choose between Arizona State and U of Arizona. So first off, anyone have any information to sway me one way or the other? I wish to study pre-med (majoring in biochemistry). U of A has a medical facility on the campus, but I'm really not sure if Tucson is for me..

Another alternative is the University of Iowa (because they have offered the most so far in terms of scholarships and aid). I am not sure about this one at all either--anyone have any input to help me decide if this would be a good choice?

I am still waiting to hear back from the other schools I've been accepted to, but the outlook in terms of aid is not so optimistic. U of Connecticut offered me $19000, but that still leaves me footing a bill of $10000 (which is not possible... and I will NOT take out any loans, for if I DO go to med school, I'll be completely swamped).

Thanks.

Maksutov
2007-Mar-13, 06:02 AM
Are you good at basketball or football? If yes, then go to UCONN. Their programs and scholarships are the best.

If not, try for the Ivy League. I went to Columbia and having such a degree opened many doors with the folks over the glass ceiling that would have otherwise remained shut. Lots of snots, but lots of money, too.

I know it's not fair, but, that's how it is.

Meanwhile, I like ASU. But Arizona has some wonderful telescope facilities down there outside Tuscon.

Big Bad Boo
2007-Mar-13, 06:09 PM
Have you considered going to a community college for the first two years then transferring? Some colleges have excellent transfer programs. Like, for example, if I go to San Jose City college for my first two years when I graduate, I could be automatically enrolled in San Jose State University as a junior. (This is in California, so I don't know what they do in Arizona, but they could have similar programs.)

farmerjumperdon
2007-Mar-13, 06:40 PM
Unless you can go to one of the REALLY uppity places, then go where they will give you the most assistance. As Mak mentioned, a degree from a place like MIT, Harvard, Princeton, etc will open doors like no other.

Outside of those, it doesn't matter, your record and work will speak for itself. And forget about all the mostly heresay that goes around about this school or that school being the best place for this or that.

Those are mostly empty pitches manufactured and propogated by the schools. Every single school seems to claim to be #1 at something. It's mostly nonsense. Accreditations? You know who cares the most about those? The accrediting agencies, the schools, and the doe-eyed freshman they are trying to attract.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a cynic and a snob about it, but unless you get a degree from an Ivy or something equivalent, once you graduate you are on the same footing as the 18 bajillion other graduates of XYZ State U.

The name of the school isn't gonna mean squat unless it is REALLY big. Your individual effort is what will matter. So go where they will give you the free (or most subsidized) ride.

And for the record, ASU is a way better party scene than AU, just in case that comes into play. Of course, being a relic, things may have changed.

tdvance
2007-Mar-13, 06:53 PM
In general, the ".... State" universities tend to be more teaching oriented, and the ".... University" universities tend to be more research oriented. (not to say there are no good teachers at a research university and no bad teachers or no research at all at the state university--but this is the usual leaning.)

If you are a self-starter and don't need to be led too much by a teacher, the research universities will provide more opportunities to learn right at the cutting edge of knowledge expansion (I'm sure I've mixed up a metaphor somehow here). But those opportunities are only there for those who go for them. A student has as many opportunities to fail as to succeed.

If you do need more attention and guidance through the learning process and need a teacher who is a good teacher more than being top-gun in his/her subject, the state colleges are better. If you need a lot more attention and guidance, you should go for a community college to start with, where teaching ability is usually even more valued in the hiring process.

Todd

farmerjumperdon
2007-Mar-13, 06:56 PM
Like, for example, if I go to San Jose City college for my first two years when I graduate, I could be automatically enrolled in San Jose State University as a junior.

You name dropper you.

Fazor
2007-Mar-13, 07:08 PM
Have you considered going to a community college for the first two years then transferring? Some colleges have excellent transfer programs. Like, for example, if I go to San Jose City college for my first two years when I graduate, I could be automatically enrolled in San Jose State University as a junior. (This is in California, so I don't know what they do in Arizona, but they could have similar programs.)

The thing you have to watch out for there is a lot of the bigger schools only offer scholarships and certian financial aid to "First time" students. If you've ever gone to another school, you won't qualify.

Becasue of my standardized test scores I would have qualified for nearly a free ride at my current uni, but of course I went to an Art school (Art Institute of Pitts) straight out of highschool. They didn't care what your test scores or grades were, solong as you had money. When I changed schools I no longer qualified as a "new student" and thus my nearly perfect ACT score meant nadda. Go figure.

Trebuchet
2007-Mar-13, 11:10 PM
....Another alternative is the University of Iowa (because they have offered the most so far in terms of scholarships and aid)....
Thanks.

You'll want to seriously consider whether you want to deal with the Midwest winters. If you've grown up in AZ, you may be pretty spoiled.

farmerjumperdon
2007-Mar-14, 04:58 PM
Just imagine the surprise the first time they experience 20 below.

Had just such a thing happen when I moved back up this way from Phoenix. Decided restaurant management was not where it was at and that finishing the degree would be easier at 30 then at 50. So after a year in Phoenix, packed up the bags and headed back north. This guy I had been working with gets the travelling bug and decides to hitch a ride and see what the upper Midwest is all about. This is happening around late October/early November.

He had never lived anywhere but the Phoenix area, had never experienced snow. He lasted until just after New Year's.

suntrack2
2007-Mar-15, 05:28 PM
In my opinion one has to choose or opt for the decision the things for which he mostly like very much, though it is costly or costless, because the time is precious, our carrier is precious we have to first look about the avenues for our making carrier and later we have to search the best options.

Anyway you have to opt the decision, that which will be most right. :)

I judged that you mold in " sincere personality", (I guess it through your above writing style, and you are too plain by heart, really)

:)

sunil (I am a free advisor, do not forget to take the advise from our other members here)

Monoxide Child
2007-Mar-20, 07:32 AM
Okay, just a little update:

I'm waiting to hear back on scholarships from a lot of places, however...

U of Iowa has given me ALMOST a full a ride. It'd be as cheap to go there s it would for me to stay in state at ASU, and it'd also be CHEAPER than going to U of Arizona.

But I still don't know if I'd be able to handle the cold! And I'm pretty sure there'd be some cultural differences too!

Someone else me out!

I'm so confused.. I am not a big fan of Tempe at all (so ? to asu), and Tucson it gross (so ? to ua), but the cold? And the smaller city? I dunno what I should do!

suntrack2
2007-Mar-20, 05:28 PM
are you a reserved personality?, if yes then release your stress about your reserveness, if you are not reserved nature then the avenues with you ahead. what is happening that the qualities are inbuilt in you, but you don't how exactly the same can be use at the proper juncture, hence don't worry, if you are eager to frame your carrier, there are great solutions to overcome.

Tobin Dax
2007-Mar-20, 08:23 PM
Okay, just a little update:

I'm waiting to hear back on scholarships from a lot of places, however...

U of Iowa has given me ALMOST a full a ride. It'd be as cheap to go there s it would for me to stay in state at ASU, and it'd also be CHEAPER than going to U of Arizona.

But I still don't know if I'd be able to handle the cold! And I'm pretty sure there'd be some cultural differences too!

Someone else me out!

I'm so confused.. I am not a big fan of Tempe at all (so ? to asu), and Tucson it gross (so ? to ua), but the cold? And the smaller city? I dunno what I should do!

Can you visit Iowa? If so, that's what you should do. That will answer your questions about the city and such.

As for the cold, I'm sure you'll be able to handle it. I'm from Oregon, and Illinois gets a whole lot colder in the winter than western Oregon ever did. Plus, there are a bunch of Taiwanese grad students in my department, and they manage. If they can, you can.

It really sounds like you don't want to go to either school in AZ, so consider Iowa. If the only downside is the cold, then do it. That's a small price to pay. Still, if you're really unsure, I would try to visit the campus. I'm sure that you could arrange a visit with someone you're communicating with already. Once you're there, and you see the school and the town and all that, you can decide if you really want to be there, or if UA or ASU would be better.

farmerjumperdon
2007-Mar-20, 08:28 PM
On a slightly related aside; had lunch today with a friend who's son got offered and accepted enrollment at DePaul last week. He got a nice chunk of scholarship and some guaranteed loans, which he said was very fortunate because the cost to attend (tuition, books, dorm housing, food service, and a few misc fees) comes to $27K per year.

OOOOOUUUUUCH! And am I glad we stopped at 2 kids.

Tobin Dax
2007-Mar-21, 01:46 AM
On a slightly related aside; had lunch today with a friend who's son got offered and accepted enrollment at DePaul last week. He got a nice chunk of scholarship and some guaranteed loans, which he said was very fortunate because the cost to attend (tuition, books, dorm housing, food service, and a few misc fees) comes to $27K per year.

OOOOOUUUUUCH! And am I glad we stopped at 2 kids.

A quick google search shows that DePaul is private, which is exactly what I expected with those rates. Private (liberal arts) colleges in Oregon were about that much or a little less ten years ago.

Matherly
2007-Mar-21, 02:24 AM
(just to establish my cred, I live in Phoenix and have family in Iowa)

Assuming you are intresting in becoming a medical doctor, my understanding is that as long as you are serious in your studies pretty much any bach degree will open the door for you. Therefore, I would also think about North Arizona University if you are looking in state.

Now then, I have a bunch of family in Iowa and I lived a while in Nebraska. IMHO, its not that bad. Maybe on or two bad storms, and no lake effect snow. I think what it would really come down to is are you ready to move that far away. On the plus side, you get to strike out on your own and make your own life. On the down side, it can be very scary. Ultimatly, its up to you.

Of course, if you want the best education possible you will go to Texas A&M University. But I may be a bit biased :)

Monoxide Child
2007-Mar-31, 02:09 AM
Welllll, as of today I was accepted to Stanford!!!

I'd really really love to go, but I don't think I could ever afford it. My parents will not pay more than $6000 a year for me to go to college. Booooo.

Trebuchet
2007-Mar-31, 02:24 AM
Congratulations! It's great just to have been accepted. (Which I wasn't, not that I could have afforded to go anyhow.) Don't give up though. It's a well endowed school and there may be some very good aid opportunities for promising students.

And you could still do worse than Iowa.

Monoxide Child
2007-Mar-31, 02:44 AM
Congratulations! It's great just to have been accepted. (Which I wasn't, not that I could have afforded to go anyhow.) Don't give up though. It's a well endowed school and there may be some very good aid opportunities for promising students.

And you could still do worse than Iowa.

Yah, its funny.

The more and more I researched about Iowa, the more sure I got that I'd be going there next fall. But now that Stanford accepted me, I'm all screwed up again! Well, when I get my student aid report from stanford, I'll have a better idea for sure. I'm visiting U of Iowa on the 9th though, so hopefully all will work out.

Damien Evans
2007-Mar-31, 03:16 PM
Welllll, as of today I was accepted to Stanford!!!

I'd really really love to go, but I don't think I could ever afford it. My parents will not pay more than $6000 a year for me to go to college. Booooo.

At least you've been accepted somewhere, it's a good start

Question: Do you Americans have anything like the HECS scheme we have in Australia, where by the govt pays for your university schooling and you then pay them back when you are in the workforce?

Donnie B.
2007-Mar-31, 03:44 PM
Here it's mostly handled in the private sector with student loans. The government provides guarantees and funds to keep the interest rates low.

The downside is that many (most?) college graduates enter the workforce with a large debt burden.

Damien Evans
2007-Apr-01, 05:44 AM
Here it's mostly handled in the private sector with student loans. The government provides guarantees and funds to keep the interest rates low.

The downside is that many (most?) college graduates enter the workforce with a large debt burden.

ok, i can understand that

lpgeorge123
2007-Apr-01, 07:51 AM

Well, I've never been to Iowa, but I lived in Minnesota up until last fall (going to college in Florida), and assuming that the two are pretty much the same climate wise, it won't always be cold. I know Minnesota is really the land of extremes. The winters drop down into sub zero temps (plus wind chill) but the summer sometimes hit 110 (plus heat index). In fact, last week it was 81 (which is VERY unusal for March) when it was 78 in Florida.

Also the change in seasons is SOOOO nice! I always took that for granted. Here I was thinking I'd get to escape the snow just to find out that a little part, buried way deep down inside, actually misses it. I'm sick of it constantly looking like summer here. Palm trees were super exciting in August, but now they're boring. You can't climb a palm tree.

Cultural differences are interesting. Who knew I had an accent? sOOOO I'm from MinnesOOOOta. We dOOOOn't talk funny (and it's pop, not sOOOOda!). My roommates and I had fun teasing each other. :lol:

farmerjumperdon
2007-Apr-01, 07:28 PM
But snow will be back by the middle of the week. Variety is the spice heh?

The buds on the fruit trees are popping, and the early perrenials are already a few inches out of the ground, but all will be white for at least a few hours.

This will be the snow when the kids make a few perfect snowballs, stash them in the freezer, then pull them out to throw at people in August.

Trebuchet
2007-Apr-02, 04:12 PM
Friday was shirtsleeve weather here. This morning there's half an inch of snow! It won't last of course. In a day or two my backyard will be covered with pink snow as the petals drop from the flowering plum trees. They're quite lovely for one week of the year, I hate them the other 51.

Monoxide Child
2007-Apr-23, 08:46 PM
Just to update you guys on my situation...

I just sent my acceptance fee to Stanford. So that is where I will be as of next fall. Whew!

cjl
2007-Apr-23, 10:29 PM
Very nice :D

I'm going to the measly University of Colorado next fall (;)), but I have some idea how you feel.

Congrats :)

Trebuchet
2007-Apr-23, 10:44 PM
Congrats indeed! A very fine school, other than having turned me down a millenium or two ago.

Matherly
2007-Apr-23, 11:00 PM
Congratulations!

DyerWolf
2007-Apr-23, 11:16 PM
Just to update you guys on my situation...

I just sent my acceptance fee to Stanford. So that is where I will be as of next fall. Whew!

Congratulations!

When I attended school in California, we had a saying:

"The smart girls go to Stanford, the pretty girls go to Chico State."*

Regardless of your interest in such things, Stanford is in a good location to enjoy all that Northern California has to offer.

The piece of paper you will earn at Stanford will be helpful in your future endeavors. However, it won't necessarily make you any fun at parties.

If you accept one bit of advice: don't forget to "smell the roses" along the way. Enjoy the college experience, take road-trips, do things that would disappoint your parents if they found out about it (but that you wanted to try anyway), and if nothing else - spend a couple of weekends in Chico.

...you've already done plenty of things to regret, you just don't know what they are.
It's when you discover them, when you see the folly in something you've done, and you wish that you had it do over, but you know you can't, because it's too late.
So you pick that thing up, and carry it with you to remind you that life goes on, the world will spin without you, you really don't matter in the end.

Then you will gain character, because honesty will reach out from inside and tattoo itself across your face.
Phil Cooper (Danny Devito) in "the Big Kahuna" - answering the question, "So, you mean to say I need to do things that I regret to build character? That sounds ridiculous!"

*Not having made any study of the male members of the respective populations, I cannot comment on whether the converse holds true...

Pinemarten
2007-Apr-27, 03:55 AM
My 2 cents is probably too late, but it may assist others on the board.

In Canada we have a military program for post-secondary education.

My cousin spent 6 years in school with the Department of Defence footing the bill.
No loan, but for 6 years university, he had to put in 6 years as a doctor for the military. A year for a year, so to speak. No loans, but the income was less than he could have made as a civilian doctor. His grades were normal, the military is short on trained professionals.

Do they have anything similar in the US?

It may not be well advertised, and it may have a deal for partial degrees. 2.4 years for 2.4 years or something like that.

lpgeorge123
2007-Apr-27, 02:53 PM
Colleges in the US have all sorts of options like that. I think the most popular one is the Army ROTC, though they don't always foot the whole bill. There are several options with each of the branches of the military. I've got a stepbrother who went into the Coast Guard because they had the best education benefits for what he wanted to do. He spent four years in the Coast Guard, and left as an electronics technician. He didn't have any bills at all afterwards. In fact, I think they paid him to be there. So it wasn't the typical university thing, but he got the education he wanted.