PDA

View Full Version : Extended warrenty?

NEOWatcher
2007-Mar-13, 06:42 PM
I ran across this article (http://www.woio.com/Global/story.asp?S=6220220) and just had to laugh. (oh yeah, word for word on the network (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/03/13/earlyshow/main2562144.shtml))

Ok; the article was intended to be serious. They claim that various car's odometers can be up to 2% high causing lawsuits.

Then I ran across this:
"Over the lifetime of your car, or the lifetime of your lease or your warranty, you're talking about hundreds of thousands of miles that are being stripped off of those cars that they've never been driven," Holmes said.
Does anybody else have a 5 million mile warranty?

And, following the link I also see this:
While older, mechanically driven odometers often had errors of +/-4%, modern odometers should not.
Why not?

farmerjumperdon
2007-Mar-13, 06:53 PM
I ran across this article (http://www.woio.com/Global/story.asp?S=6220220) and just had to laugh. (oh yeah, word for word on the network (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/03/13/earlyshow/main2562144.shtml))

Ok; the article was intended to be serious. They claim that various car's odometers can be up to 2% high causing lawsuits.

Then I ran across this:
"Over the lifetime of your car, or the lifetime of your lease or your warranty, you're talking about hundreds of thousands of miles that are being stripped off of those cars that they've never been driven," Holmes said.
Does anybody else have a 5 million mile warranty?

And, following the link I also see this:
While older, mechanically driven odometers often had errors of +/-4%, modern odometers should not.
Why not?

Because they are modern.

Modern is good.

Modern is our friend.

"HA! I . . . . (slapping hands on chest) . . . have made fire!"

But seriously, if you want to cheat on the odometer, just get taller tires. Really big ones should make a considerable difference. Think Bigfoot. The handling may go to pot, but imagine the underreporting of miles if you put some humongously tall (bead to tread) rubber on your rims. And I imagine you'd add some speed to the top end to boot.

ToSeek
2007-Mar-14, 02:55 PM
Just drive to the dealer in reverse. By the time you get there, you'll be back under the limit.

NEOWatcher
2007-Mar-14, 03:00 PM
Just drive to the dealer in reverse. By the time you get there, you'll be back under the limit.
That only works with mechanical odometers. Electronic ones count upward in both directions.

Edit: Besides, if the car don't go...how do I drive it.

Tog
2007-Mar-14, 03:03 PM
I drive a 2005, so I assume it's modern. The GPS thinks it's 40.3 miles from home to work, the car thinks it's 38.5. I get 4.46% off, but may have done it wrong. Anyway, it boils down to me getting an extra 4,000 miles or so out of the warranty. I think he may have meant hundreds OR thousands of miles.

BTW, The spedometer reads 3 MPH over at what it thinks is 80 mph. Shouldn't it read under if the odometer is short, or do I have that backwards?

NEOWatcher
2007-Mar-14, 03:13 PM
I think he may have meant hundreds OR thousands of miles.
That's my assumption, but it's still sloppy work, and should have been caught especially considering the fact that it changes the meaning so much.

BTW, The spedometer reads 3 MPH over at what it thinks is 80 mph. Shouldn't it read under if the odometer is short, or do I have that backwards?
I picture it this way. If the speedometer is reading faster than the car is going, then the wheels are smaller than what the speedometer is calibrated for. Therefore the wheels are turning more than it was designed to, therefore registering more miles.
So yes, reading 3 over does mean you are more miles than it should.

Larry Jacks
2007-Mar-14, 03:16 PM
I have a 2001 Honda CR/V. Driving around town, there are these mobile devices the police set up that display my speed as I pass by. These are typically in neighborhoods or near new construction zones where speeding is a problem.

In every case, the device shows me going 3-4 MPH slower than my speedometer indication. If those devices are accurate (big if), then my speedometer is not only reading fast, my odometer is probably showing that I'm going a longer distance than what I'm actually driving. As the article implied, this would've affected my warranty (now expired) and potentially my resale value. Instead of having 71,000 miles on the car, I may have actually only driven it about 68,000 miles. I need to find a precise distance to measure my odometer accuracy and/or find out the accuracy of those speed monitoring devices.

Tog
2007-Mar-14, 03:21 PM
T
I picture it this way. If the speedometer is reading faster than the car is going, then the wheels are smaller than what the speedometer is calibrated for. Therefore the wheels are turning more than it was designed to, therefore registering more miles.
So yes, reading 3 over does mean you are more miles than it should.

That's the way I picture it too, but it's going the other way. Speedometer is over, odometer is under. Which confirms my suspicion that it's a really poor excuse for a vehicle.;)

NEOWatcher
2007-Mar-14, 03:22 PM
In every case, the device shows me going 3-4 MPH slower than my speedometer indication.
I've experienced that also, but my odometer seems correct. The best thing to do, is go on a long trip, and compare the odometer with the highway mile markers.

Doodler
2007-Mar-14, 03:49 PM
That only works with mechanical odometers. Electronic ones count upward in both directions.

Edit: Besides, if the car don't go...how do I drive it.

OLD mechanical odometers. I had occassion to drive my mother's 1998 Geo Metro in reverse for a substantial stretch once, it did not roll back.

farmerjumperdon
2007-Mar-14, 04:01 PM
Hmmmm, I do sense a conspiracy.

My speedometer registers 3 MPH over in the radar traps also. (When the radar gun says I'm going 45, my speedometer says I'm doing 45).

That's overreporting miles to the tune of 6.66%! I say we file a class action suit against all automobile manufacturers. With a number like that we should be able to pull in support from PAL (Paranoid Antichrist Lobby). I hear they have big connections on The Hill.

Doodler
2007-Mar-14, 04:11 PM
Hmmmm, I do sense a conspiracy.

My speedometer registers 3 MPH over in the radar traps also. (When the radar gun says I'm going 45, my speedometer says I'm doing 45).

:think:

For my next amazing prediction, I see an edit here soon. ;)

farmerjumperdon
2007-Mar-14, 04:15 PM
:think:

For my next amazing prediction, I see an edit here soon. ;)

What? What? What'd I say?

NEOWatcher
2007-Mar-14, 04:18 PM
What? What? What'd I say?
:clap: :doh: Read it a few more times.

Moose
2007-Mar-14, 04:25 PM
Hee hee hee. :D

farmerjumperdon
2007-Mar-14, 04:36 PM
Shiver me timbers.

First I needed a knee brace, then the reading glasses. I've now hit the age where 45 plus 3 equals 45. Fabulous. I suppose I better quit making fun of the astronaut that wore diapers on the long road trip.

Torsten
2007-Mar-14, 05:31 PM
With the tires I currently have on my pickup, the odometer shows 100 km for every 104 km that I actually travel.

A quarter inch of tread wear on that vehicle translates into about a 2% difference in distance measured.

Whirlpool
2007-Mar-15, 03:35 AM
Hahaha , you guys are funny. :D:D

Odometers are odometers.
Unless wife checks your odometer and computes , and asks where have you been with that kind of reading?

:p:p

Torsten
2007-Mar-15, 05:59 AM
. . . hundreds of thousands of miles. . .

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and attribute that to a typo. Perhaps they meant to write "hundreds or thousands".

Odometers are odometers.
Unless wife checks your odometer and computes , and asks where have you been with that kind of reading?

Yeah, I know you're joking, but. . .

. . . . what if you care whether the instrument is reliable?

. . . . what if part of your pay is based on odometer readings and you're paying for the fuel etc? A 4% difference is about $700 to my bottom line each year.

Tog
2007-Mar-15, 06:53 AM
Yeah, I know you're joking, but. . .

. . . . what if you care whether the instrument is reliable?

. . . . what if part of your pay is based on odometer readings and you're paying for the fuel etc? A 4% difference is about $700 to my bottom line each year.

Or a job that pays you a fixed rate per mile to use your own vehicle. In my case, I'd be taking a 4.5% pay cut by just driving the car I do.

Granted, for many people it doesn't matter in the least, but for certain people, it's really important.

NEOWatcher
2007-Mar-15, 12:11 PM
With the tires I currently have on my pickup, the odometer shows 100 km for every 104 km that I actually travel.

A quarter inch of tread wear on that vehicle translates into about a 2% difference in distance measured.
I would say that you have a different issue. A smaller tire (less tread) will do more revolutions per distance thus showing more distance driven than actual.

Or a job that pays you a fixed rate per mile to use your own vehicle. In my case, I'd be taking a 4.5% pay cut by just driving the car I do.
Again, for this particular issue, the odometer is showing more, so you would get paid more.

Besides; does anyone count the milage for those trips through the drive through, the trips to the post office, or whatever comes up?:shhh:

Tog
2007-Mar-15, 12:32 PM
Again, for this particular issue, the odometer is showing more, so you would get paid more.

In my case though, the odometer reads less than what was actually travelled.

torque of the town
2007-Mar-15, 12:57 PM
In my case though, the odometer reads less than what was actually travelled.

Are you approaching light speed? this could be down to time compression...

Torsten
2007-Mar-15, 04:16 PM
I would say that you have a different issue. A smaller tire (less tread) will do more revolutions per distance thus showing more distance driven than actual.

Right. And my tires are new, with really deep tread. There's probably about a half inch of wear that I'll allow before I replace them (depending on how cheap or unsafe I'm feeling.) So the odometer that presently records about ~4% fewer km than actually travelled will be about right when I'm ready to replace the tires.

Besides; does anyone count the milage for those trips through the drive through, the trips to the post office, or whatever comes up?

I do. I have to separate business travel from personal travel for both client billing and for taxation purposes (using my company vehicle for personal purposes is a taxable benefit). So I record the odometer reading everytime I complete a trip that was for a different purpose than the previous trip. There are a lot of people in my community that are allowed personal use of business vehicles, and many of them had unexpected tax bills for personal driving that they had not properly attributed after they or their companies were audited. I don't need surprises like that, so I keep good records.

NEOWatcher
2007-Mar-15, 04:31 PM
Right. And my tires are new, with really deep tread.
Yep, different issue. Based on the fact that the odometer is calabrated to new tires, I would assume your tires are just a bit larger than stock.

I have to separate business travel from personal travel for both client billing and for taxation purposes...
I was thinking more of those occasional stops while you are travelling for business. Kind of the "ooh, donuts" thinking. :D

snarkophilus
2007-Mar-15, 06:35 PM
OLD mechanical odometers. I had occassion to drive my mother's 1998 Geo Metro in reverse for a substantial stretch once, it did not roll back.

Very old odometers. The odometer of my 1979 Fairmont didn't go backward.