PDA

View Full Version : Seas Discovered on Titan

Fraser
2007-Mar-14, 09:35 PM
Planetary scientists had reported lakes around Titan's southern poles, but now it looks like the northern hemisphere has liquid on the surface as well. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/03/14/seas-discovered-on-titan/)

Launch window
2007-Mar-15, 09:17 AM
amazing moon, i see why many scientists think of it more as a planet

transreality
2007-Mar-15, 09:22 AM
There is quite a difference between the two lake images isn't there? The terrestrial lake has a sharp edge and no detail in the liquid, however the titanian lake has this fuzzy region around the shore. Most images of low lying/dark regions on titan seem to show some detail at high contrast.

Perhaps this why the mission scientists sound rather guarded in their declaration.

Darrrius
2007-Mar-15, 10:51 AM
I'm more taken by how similar they look! You have to remember, the earth pic was taken with different equiptment, on probably a haze free day, whereas the titan pic was taken through massive haze layers with completley different imaging equiptment.

Heath Patrie
2007-Mar-15, 02:05 PM
Your comparison of the lake on Titan with Lake Superior is quite potent for me as i live there (or here, rather -- on Lake Superior, that is ;-). As a lifelong resident of the Great Lakes region of North America, Titan holds a special fascination for me these days. I know that walking upon the strand of that lake on Titan would probably feel quite different (survival aside); yet i am fascinated with the striking similarity between features on Titan with the hydrology of Earth.

I may be too old to be an Astronaut, but, Planetary Scientist? Hmm. Hmm...

By the way: have any names been suggested or adopted for these features? It would be a meaningful gesture for some (such as me) to be able to, for instance, hang a framed photo of 'Lake So-and-so' with such photos of other natural features i admire.

John Mendenhall
2007-Mar-15, 03:02 PM
By the way: have any names been suggested or adopted for these features? It would be a meaningful gesture for some (such as me) to be able to, for instance, hang a framed photo of 'Lake So-and-so' with such photos of other natural features i admire.

How about 'Lake Freyja', after the Norse goddess of beauty? Sounds cold enough, too.

runen
2007-Mar-15, 03:35 PM
How about 'Lake Freyja', after the Norse goddess of beauty? Sounds cold enough, too.

Good name, but it would be better something related with the original myth of Titan(s).

Also "Huygens Lake" may be another good choice...

John Mendenhall
2007-Mar-15, 03:58 PM
There is quite a difference between the two lake images isn't there? The terrestrial lake has a sharp edge and no detail in the liquid, however the titanian lake has this fuzzy region around the shore. Most images of low lying/dark regions on titan seem to show some detail at high contrast.

Perhaps this why the mission scientists sound rather guarded in their declaration.

Look down mapping radars are noted for their ability to see into liquids (and sand). It's probably return off the bottom around the edges of the lake. The scientists are still right to be guarded: it may yet turn out to be goo. It doesn't seem to reflect light as expected.

parallaxicality
2007-Mar-15, 08:43 PM
One of the lakes is already called "Ontario Lacus", which suggests the other great lakes will get a look in at some point.

transreality
2007-Mar-16, 10:13 PM
Look down mapping radars are noted for their ability to see into liquids (and sand). It's probably return off the bottom around the edges of the lake. The scientists are still right to be guarded: it may yet turn out to be goo. It doesn't seem to reflect light as expected.

That would have to provide a depth contour, at the edge of this effect. I am thinking that if these are shallow ice effects then they might be very ephemeral, and not constrained by any underlying topography. What opportunity does Cassini have to reimage these features over the duration of the mission?

Grand_Lunar
2007-Mar-19, 09:46 PM
amazing moon, i see why many scientists think of it more as a planet

Don't tell the IAU that! :)

Disinfo Agent
2007-Mar-19, 10:05 PM
One of the lakes is already called "Ontario Lacus", which suggests the other great lakes will get a look in at some point.It would be nice if they used the name that Arthur C. Clarke came up with (in Imperial Earth): Lake Hellbrew.

Nick4
2007-Jun-07, 04:56 AM
Life>life>life

Heath Patrie
2007-Jun-07, 03:40 PM
I like the idea of the Arthur C. Clark tribute. {Imperial Earth is one of my favourite of his stories.}

But 'Lake Freyja' would emphasize the beauty of Titan (which we appreciate as Scientists) rather than the harsh physical environs (which we'd be subject to as frail Earthians).

I know a Freya; she is beautiful. So, i guess i'm partial to Freya.

Disinfo Agent
2007-Jun-07, 04:19 PM
I seem to have slightly misremembered the name. Clarke used the Scottish name for "lake" in his book, "Loch Hellbrew". :)