PDA

View Full Version : Misguided Marketing

Fazor
2007-Mar-15, 05:08 PM
Okay this was too funny to pass up. I find it funny every time we get one of those generic "call us to get a cheaper quote on auto insurance" letters at work. Why? Because i'm an insurance agent (well, technically a licsensed salesperson for an agent). A good number of these come addressed to [Agent's Name] Insurance Agency. Seems like a waste of postage to me.

But this one today from Geico is even funnier, as the return address from which it origonated is from "Chevy Chase, Maryland". I love Chevy Chase, but does that mean that these people at Geico are comedians? Or a joke? (I think a little of both ;) ).

okay, so Chevy Chase, MD came way before the comic, but still. I thought it was funny. and actually the comic (not his birth name) was apparently (according to wikipedia) named after a town that his scottish decedants helped defend from invasion (?) which quite possibly is also what the city Chevy Chase, MD is named after. But that takes away from the fun in my post. Jay was right, it is more fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality (or however he worded it).

Donnie B.
2007-Mar-15, 08:51 PM
I keep getting phone and mail offers for Verizon FiOS internet service. I signed up the minute it was available (it rocks, BTW), so they're wasting their advertising budget on me.

The junk mail I understand, I'm sure it's sent to "Resident". But you'd think they'd be able to cross reference to their own records and eliminate the phone spam.

Swift
2007-Mar-15, 09:52 PM
The funniest (to me at least) junk phone call I ever got was shortly after I was married. My wife and I were renting a house. We got a call from someone at our bank (Bank One) with a great offer for a home equity loan. I let them prattle on for several minutes and then asked "Do you actually have to own a home to get a home equity loan, because if not, I'd love to take out a loan with you?". Once they got their tongue operational they actually asked if we owned this home. You would think they would cross check with the county land ownership records.

hhEb09'1
2007-Mar-15, 09:56 PM
I keep getting "free panties" cards from Victoria's Secret. Well, my daughters snap them up, so maybe they do know what they're doing.

yuzuha
2007-Mar-15, 10:10 PM
Um, Chevy Chase bank is in MD and banks are sending out all kinds of insurance junk now (marketing kickbacks? Who knows?)

What is funny is I get all these car insurance offers and don't even own or drive a car! More trash for the landfills!

hhEb09'1
2007-Mar-15, 10:14 PM
Um, Chevy Chase bank is in MD and banks are sending out all kinds of insurance junk now (marketing kickbacks? Who knows?)I used to have a credit card issued by them. Used to get the funniest looks at checkout

and then I'd take out my card

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Mar-15, 10:20 PM
Um, Chevy Chase bank is in MD and banks are sending out all kinds of insurance junk now (marketing kickbacks? Who knows?)

What is funny is I get all these car insurance offers and don't even own or drive a car! More trash for the landfills!
all junk mail ends up in our woodstove, the only junkmail I have got is asking to become a member of the planetary society, and the AAAS, but the house gets flyers about once a week, the only usefull thing was a diaper from one of the major companies (two neices born in the last 4 years).

Gillianren
2007-Mar-16, 03:01 AM

They send them to everyone in my apartment complex.

NEOWatcher
2007-Mar-16, 12:03 PM
I keep getting "free panties" cards from Victoria's Secret. Well, my daughters snap them up, so maybe they do know what they're doing.
I understand how that feels. My mom's Chirstmas list this year was a catalog with items circled, so I just on-lined it. Now, you wouldn't believe the catalogs I get. It's actually quite embarassing, especially living single.

SharkByte
2007-Mar-16, 03:18 PM
I'm in the military and a few years ago, I spent a year in South Korea. My mailing address there was my work address which happened to be the Korean Combined Air Operations Center on Osan Air Base. I still, 5 years later, get offers to refinance my property at that address. Occasionally when I'm really bored I'll fill one of the applications out and send it back using the most accurate numbers I can come up with for that property but apparently none of the banks really want to refinance a $14 billion facility built into the side of a mountain...

torque of the town
2007-Mar-16, 03:44 PM
I understand how that feels. My mom's Chirstmas list this year was a catalog with items circled, so I just on-lined it. Now, you wouldn't believe the catalogs I get. It's actually quite embarassing, especially living single.

Dont knock it untill you have tried it............oh hell!! wrong forum:o :o

:D

closetgeek
2007-Mar-19, 04:22 PM
You know what's annoying? My last name starts with EST so everyplace thinks I am Spanish of some descent. I can't even read my junkmail. I have figured out, one at least, is a Latin singles ad. That doesn't bother me as much as when I request information from an English speaking operator and it comes in Spanish.

torque of the town
2007-Mar-19, 04:49 PM
You know what's annoying? My last name starts with EST so everyplace thinks I am Spanish of some descent. I can't even read my junkmail. I have figured out, one at least, is a Latin singles ad. That doesn't bother me as much as when I request information from an English speaking operator and it comes in Spanish.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing:confused:

mugaliens
2007-Mar-19, 07:23 PM
The first words out of my mouth when I realize it's a telemarketer is "put your supervisor on." The second set of words (assuming I reach the supervisor) is, "if you call me even ONCE more I'll sue in accordance with Federal Law. Do you understand?"

If I don't reach the supervisor, it's the same, along with the fact I'll name them, personally, in conjunction with my lawsuite of the company.

My last recollection of a telemarketer calling me is back in July.

Of 2005.

Gillianren
2007-Mar-19, 10:10 PM
You do know their computers don't process the information immediately, right? You do further know it's not the fault of the poor soul actually doing the calling, right? (Besides, there's no point in suing them personally; they don't get paid enough. Even the supervisors where I worked only made $10 an hour.)

tofu
2007-Mar-19, 10:14 PM
a $14 billion facility built into the side of a mountain...

are you talking about CP tango?

Moose
2007-Mar-19, 10:14 PM
The first words out of my mouth when I realize it's a telemarketer is "put your supervisor on."

The "supervisor" is just the next guy over.

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Mar-19, 10:16 PM
The "supervisor" is just the next guy over.
you do not know how right you are.:D

Moose
2007-Mar-19, 10:22 PM
Pretty sure I know. One of my ex-girlfriends was a telemarketer for a few weeks. She lasted longer than most, but I was somewhat relieved (so was she) when she'd quit. What a rotten job.

Anyway, I've had the same telemarketing firm "on behalf of Capital One" calling me three times a month since last April. I've heard "let me pull up the application to get you off our list" whitewash so many times, I can recite it... well... like I just did.

I suspect nothing short of a tactical nuke is going to get these vultures off my phone.

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Mar-19, 10:34 PM
Pretty sure I know. One of my ex-girlfriends was a telemarketer for a few weeks. She lasted longer than most, but I was somewhat relieved (so was she) when she'd quit. What a rotten job.

Anyway, I've had the same telemarketing firm "on behalf of Capital One" calling me three times a month since last April. I've heard "let me pull up the application to get you off our list" whitewash so many times, I can recite it... well... like I just did.

I suspect nothing short of a tactical nuke is going to get these vultures off my phone.
I actually work for a call center that is inbond only and I could never to outbound (the ones that call you).

Gillianren
2007-Mar-20, 01:11 AM

It works, though. The number they're asking for allows them to pull up all of the company's information on you--and I've dealt with at least one application system that wouldn't take people off the list unless you could get the information they were asking for, which is frustrating and stupid but true.

danscope
2007-Mar-20, 01:52 AM
Here's a modest proposal:
Why not have a standard mail survey by zip code: If for instance everybody in the 02979 zip code or 90% of them registered at the postoffice that they
"DO NOT WANT ANY JUNK MAIL EVER" , then the post office could by law stop junk mail to that zipcode.....period. And thus.....we can DEFEAT JUNK MAIL .
The trees we save and the energy, and the poor feet of the mail delivery people everywhere will thank you.....every day. No delivery to that zipcode.
We don't need no junk mail. We don't need no steeenkeen junk mail!!!!!

THIS COULD WORK !

Best regards, Dan

Gillianren
2007-Mar-20, 05:42 AM
But I like catalogues, and they're junk mail.

Tog
2007-Mar-20, 07:26 AM
I had MCI call me up one day to sell me their service. All I had to do was confirm that the information they had was correct and agree to whatever it was they asked me to do after that. I told them I wasn't interested. I had a second call 90 minutes later from a supervisor with an incredibly thick Jamaican accent. I told him I wasn't interested. I got a third call 30 minutes after that from another guy selling me the same thing. I was sort of mean to him, explaining that I had already been through this twice that morning and that if he was so interested in confirming my information then he should should speak the rather gruff Jamaican supervisor, who I had spoken to before. I also said that I hoped never to hear fro them again and that if I did get another call from them it had better be the manager of the call center because I had a question for him. They never called back. Too bad too. It was a good question.

If that company cannot route a list of names in a way that only one person actually gets any given name, how can they be trusted to get a phone call all the way across the country?

Another one I like is the Craftmatic Bed people. They go through their script about all the benefits of sleeping in one of those beds, the free trial, the free delivery and removal of the old bedding (so you get stuck with nothing if you decide against theirs). When they ask why I'm not interested in such a great offer and product, I tell them it's because I sleep on my stomach and I'd die.:p I've never had anyone respond to that.

The nice lady that tried to sell me a subscription to the New York Times was actually really good at countering my arguments.
Would you like the NYT?
Nope, I live in Utah, wrong side of the country.
It has national news
So does the TV and internet.
But you can take this with you.
Like a laptop?
I think you're missing the point
You want me to get a newspaper which is at least 8 hours out of date by the time I get it because it's more current than a live TV broadcast.
It's not out of date. It's published daily.
But if something happens at 6 AM, I won't know about it until the next day, while the TV and internet would have the news by 6:10 if it were really important.
It doesn't just have news, it has entertainment features as well, those don't get updated on TV.
Oh, you mean like my local theater show times?
Well, no, it's a New York Paper.
And I don't live there, so I'm having a hard time finding a reason to care.

It went on like this for about 10 minutes. I finally told her that she was very good at what she did, but that there was no way I would ever be getting a newspaper, from anywhere.

Gillianren
2007-Mar-20, 09:06 AM
I'd rather get the New York Times than my local paper, were it not for the fact that they don't have comics. (They do have a really good Sunday magazine section.)

Moose
2007-Mar-20, 12:33 PM
It works, though.

I've jumped through every hoop they've asked me to jump through, more than once. No luck. The only thing I wouldn't have given them (had they asked) is _my_ name. (No sense adding a fourth call every month.)

I've gotten a bit more sympathy (but still no results) when I'd expressed concern that the volume of calls from them, all fairly tight-lipped about what they wanted, and having added a new name that month (well over six months after I'd gotten that phone number), may have been an indication of identity fraud.

Moose
2007-Mar-20, 12:35 PM
"DO NOT WANT ANY JUNK MAIL EVER" , then the post office could by law stop junk mail to that zipcode.....period. And thus.....we can DEFEAT JUNK MAIL .

You're assuming the post office wants to stop third class mail. They don't. Third class mail is by far their biggest source of revenue, and it subsidizes your first class stamps.

Swift
2007-Mar-20, 01:05 PM
We occasionally get stuff from dating services addressed to "The Single Resident" at our address. Since the cat is the only single resident, it must be for her. When she turns 18 I might let her sign up for them. :p

Fazor
2007-Mar-20, 01:33 PM
I always liked the guys that would call up and try to sell windows. Not the software, but windows for your house. My standard responce was "Windows! Genious! That WOULD stop the rain and insects from getting in through these gaping holes in my house! Wait...now that I think about it, my house HAS windows. Goodbye."

I'd think an item like that, if one were in need, they would already be actively looking for them. Altho I told that story to someone once and they said "Oh, I bought windows from a call like that. Ours were drafty and we needed new ones". So I guess they do make sales that way *shrugs*

Delvo
2007-Mar-20, 03:42 PM
I seriously heard this this morning on the radio: a five-second ad for a church, or at least its website...

It starts with a man's voice, in that echoing effect that symbolizes unspoken thoughts, asking "Why is the world so screwed up?" Then a clear, unechoing woman's voice responds with the web address, which is the church's name and ".com". (That's all they had time for, I guess.) So they're telling us that that church, or at least its website, is responsible for the world's problems!

Maksutov
2007-Mar-21, 04:37 AM
Soon after I got my first cordless phone, I found that a good use for it was when a telemarketer would call. I'd put the phone against the parakeet's cage. After a while I didn't get many more telemarketing calls.

Fazor
2007-Mar-21, 04:09 PM
I seriously heard this this morning on the radio: a five-second ad for a church, or at least its website...

It starts with a man's voice, in that echoing effect that symbolizes unspoken thoughts, asking "Why is the world so screwed up?" Then a clear, unechoing woman's voice responds with the web address, which is the church's name and ".com". (That's all they had time for, I guess.) So they're telling us that that church, or at least its website, is responsible for the world's problems!

Hehe, I love un-thoughtout advertising. I heard one yesterday that I liked; it's an ad for this guys autobody-repair shop (which has been struggling to stay in business for years now).

Only reason I even paid attention was because he last commercial contained slanderous opinion about a few insurance companies, and the one specifically named is the one I work for (I say slanderous "opinion" because it starts out as opinion, which is fine he can say his opinion is whatever he wants, but then he says his "opinion is true" because of claims that are simply not true). I don't know if my company threatened suit or what, but the commercial has now changed to this guy singing an Eminem 8-mile-style "hiphop" song about how he'll "fix your car, so it can drive far." "he won't use aftermarket parts, that will fall apart" or something along those lines.

Guess he's trying to appeal to the younger generation, but is just makeing a huge fool of himself. and the older generation won't take him seriously either. way to seperate yourself from your market! :)

Noclevername
2007-Apr-19, 07:04 AM
Beautiful, just beautiful. Any way we can get to see a clip of this rappin' mechanic?