PDA

View Full Version : Enhanced feed experiment is over

Fraser
2007-Mar-15, 11:54 PM
After we switched the podcast over to an enhanced AAC feed with pretty pictures, we've decided to go back. We looked at our download stats, and it appeared that people were turning away from downloading the show. It's not surprising, the filesizes were roughly double, and wouldn't play in many players.

We were maintaining alternative feeds, but that was just confusing. Nobody wanted the 16kb version. We didn't get many complaints about the enhanced version, but the stats told the story. Since these formats were taking us about 3 hours to produce, it wasn't worth the time and effort.

So, we've simplified. There's only one format, regular mp3. Sorry for the confusion.

Maybe we'll come back to it in 5 years, when this kind of technology is more widely adopted.

whiznat
2007-Mar-16, 04:16 PM
Perhaps you could provide different versions of the podcast. The good folks at TWiT (http://www.twit.tv) provide several different versions of their podcasts, including a 16-kbit version for the "bandwidth-impaired". You could provide an audio-only version. I have a 3G iPod, so even though I have a broadband line, I would prefer a picture-less version.

EvilEye
2007-Mar-17, 07:36 AM
.mp3 is all I need.

I can listen to the entire first episode of "Cosmos" without looking at the video.

When you're that good (and you both are), you don't need pretty pictures. You paint them with your words.

Fraser
2007-Mar-17, 07:20 PM
Perhaps you could provide different versions of the podcast. The good folks at TWiT (http://www.twit.tv) provide several different versions of their podcasts, including a 16-kbit version for the "bandwidth-impaired". You could provide an audio-only version. I have a 3G iPod, so even though I have a broadband line, I would prefer a picture-less version.

We did have 16kb versions. Nobody used them. Over the source of 6 months, some of those episodes were downloaded a total of 50 times or so.

Anton
2007-Mar-18, 08:22 PM
We did have 16kb versions. Nobody used them. Over the source of 6 months, some of those episodes were downloaded a total of 50 times or so.

I was one of those few that made use of the 16 kb-version just to fit as many of your shows as possible into my mp3-telephone and because the download-time is often veeery slow. I have a 24 Mbit line and yet the download rate is typically 15-20 kB. On a rare day though, I suddenly get 350 kB! I guess the slow rate is a combination of “Atlantic congestion” and a result of your show being very popular.
Anyway, I think you did the right thing in simplifying. The difference in sound quality makes it worth it.
Thanks again!

DannyLiverpool
2007-Mar-26, 01:14 AM
i enjoyed the enhanced one :-(