PDA

View Full Version : Frustration!

Big Bad Boo
2007-Mar-17, 02:30 AM
I'm just having issues in general.

First, I was really excited when I got a $2 bill at Walgreens today, so I'm all hyper. So I was bouncing around, jumping and whatnot, because my boyfriend, Drew, called me.

So I lost my spiffy bill, and I went out to look for it. As I'm turning the corner, I hear "Mommy, mommy, I found weird money!"

"That's not weird money, silly, that's a $2 bill! It's very rare. You're a lucky girl!"

"I'm lucky, I'm lucky!"

I didn't have the heart to say that was my bill, and I would have looked stupid anyway because I had no proof. I turned around and went home.

And now, I'm trying to write a stupid letter to get sponsors for iPOP! but I can't get past the introduction, because, to me, there's no easy way to ask for money. I have trouble asking for a buck from my sister!

So, I am frustrated. Grr...

/end rant.

2007-Mar-17, 02:43 AM
"That's not weird money, silly, that's a $2 bill! It's very rare. You're a lucky girl!"

Great! You brought the little girl luck! And, for only two dollars.

Swift
2007-Mar-17, 04:32 AM
BBB,
One thing that works for me when I'm writing is that I imagine it as a conversation. Imagine that you are sitting down, having a nice latte with the person you are trying to talk with. Explain what you want as if you were just speaking to them. Now, I suspect that when you are done, you will want to clean it up a bit; maybe make the language a little less casual. But it should give you a starting point.

Good luck

Bearded One
2007-Mar-17, 05:09 AM
"Mommy, mommy, I found weird money!"
That's a great testament to the success of the $2 bill :lol:

Nice of you to let her keep it. :clap:

mike alexander
2007-Mar-17, 06:46 AM
Actually, it sounds like a Congressman.

Doodler
2007-Mar-19, 12:01 AM
Head to a bank, you can change two ones for a two dollar bill. They're not common, but still around.

Big Bad Boo
2007-Mar-19, 03:55 AM
Head to a bank, you can change two ones for a two dollar bill. They're not common, but still around.

Really? Cool.

Big Bad Boo
2007-Mar-19, 03:56 AM
BBB,
One thing that works for me when I'm writing is that I imagine it as a conversation. Imagine that you are sitting down, having a nice latte with the person you are trying to talk with. Explain what you want as if you were just speaking to them. Now, I suspect that when you are done, you will want to clean it up a bit; maybe make the language a little less casual. But it should give you a starting point.

Good luck

Your advice worked! I need to touch it up a bit, but at least I got something out!

Tog
2007-Mar-19, 07:59 AM

When I was the graveyard checker at the store I had severl people ask if we acepted a $2 bill. I asked why we wouldn't and they said the stor down the street said they weren't legal tender. They said something similar about Susan B. Anthony dollars. BTW if you happen to gat a Susan B. that is NOT a 1981, it's worth holding on to.

farmerjumperdon
2007-Mar-19, 12:11 PM
When I was the graveyard checker at the store I had severl people ask if we acepted a $2 bill. I asked why we wouldn't and they said the stor down the street said they weren't legal tender. They said something similar about Susan B. Anthony dollars. BTW if you happen to gat a Susan B. that is NOT a 1981, it's worth holding on to.

Never heard of that. Not many made? What are they worth?

Tog
2007-Mar-19, 12:52 PM
Never heard of that. Not many made? What are they worth?

Not sure of the actual value of them, but they were made in three different years. I've never seen one that wasn't an '81.

Looking into just briefly, it would seem that I'm the victim of skewed statistics. Wiki says most were produced in '79, with only a few in '80 and most of those in '81 being part of proof sets. A "proofed" coin is one that is sealed in a protective case from the time it comes out of the press. They are never touched by bare hands. As soon as they are, they drop in value.

Values of some are here (http://www.fastcoin.com/sbadollar.htm). Looks like the range from about $2 for a good condition one to over $200 for a proofed set.

It was a guy in a coin shop that told me about the 79-80 ones being worth more too. I'd have thought I could trust that source. Now I'm not sure.

Larry Jacks
2007-Mar-19, 01:22 PM
Not sure of the actual value of them, but they were made in three different years. I've never seen one that wasn't an '81.

I'll have to check, but I have a pretty distinct memory of cashiers at overseas military commissaries and exchanges being told to "push twos and Sues" (two dollar bills and Susan B. Anthony coins) back in 1980. Both failed in general circulation so they dumped them on us. We didn't like them either.

Maybe I have the year wrong, but I remember "push twos and Sues".

farmerjumperdon
2007-Mar-19, 01:49 PM
Appreciate the link. Interesting. And strange (seems to me anyway) that they sell proof coins in rolls. Must be a different kind of roll than the standard paper goodie with the ends exposed.

Fazor
2007-Mar-19, 01:56 PM
Hmm...I guess everybody has thier own problems with writing. For me, I can nail the introduction and the body, but then the conclusion which should be a simple...well...conclusion...makes me want to pull my hair out. All you have to do is basically recap everything you just said, but I can't do it without making a very well written (not being egotistical, but I can write) paper sound like it was done by a middle school special needs class :-/. Bah! :) anyway a weekend has elapsed since your post, so hopefully things are on the up-and-up by now.

Trebuchet
2007-Mar-19, 08:23 PM
We get $2 bills pretty regularly in change when buying tickets on the Washington State Ferry system. Half-dollars, too. My wife is collecting the two's.

I was cleaning up a bunch of change yesterday and found a Sacajawea dollar, the latest failed attempt to replace the dollar bill. The upcoming presidential dollars may get some collector interest but will suffer the same fate as currency. There's no chance of replacing the dollar bill until they stop printing the dumb things.

Doodler
2007-Mar-19, 08:31 PM
They're not "dumb things" if you have a practical use for them. ;)

Donnie B.
2007-Mar-19, 09:17 PM
They'd better find something that works soon, or the one-dollar bill will join the penny and nickel as being worth less than the metal/paper it's made of. ;)

Doodler
2007-Mar-19, 09:53 PM
They'd better find something that works soon, or the one-dollar bill will join the penny and nickel as being worth less than the metal/paper it's made of. ;)

You sure? From what I read, its still only about 40 cents a bill...

Donnie B.
2007-Mar-19, 10:24 PM
You sure? From what I read, its still only about 40 cents a bill...I didn't claim it was true yet.

I have a clever plan that cannot fail. I say, get rid of all coins with denominations under a dollar.

Surely inflation has exceeded 100x since the currency was first established. If a penny was a sufficiently small value then, a dollar should be today. If anything has a value less than $1.00, sell them two, three, or four for a buck.

If you like having the jangly stuff in your pocket, you can make one-, five-, and ten-dollar coins.

cjl
2007-Mar-19, 10:28 PM
In fact, both the penny and nickel are also worth more than the materials (though they did have to change they penny to zinc to keep it that way). The penny is only worth slightly more than the zinc in it though IIRC.