PDA

View Full Version : Time Travel, dudes?

SharkPaste
2003-May-30, 03:10 PM
Hi everyone. New dude here. Interest in BA originally piqued by pole shift phenomenon. This has nothing to do with that: eversince I was presented a copy of National Geographic's "Our Universe" coffee table book as a youth (to set alongside the 30 issues of Nintendo Power on my bookshelf) and eyed an artist's rendering of a black hole, I've had a fascination with time travel/wormholes/etc. and have only fostered it via dorky movies, Philip K Dick, and late night conversations in a gnarly old van rolling through the moutain roads of Idaho. I really want to buckle down and educate myself, and get in some killer summer reading as well, but I'm no genius, and so need someone who talks slowly. So: can anyone recommend some good layman's reading on time travel?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum--

Thx,
Trevor T

Chuck
2003-May-30, 03:32 PM
I found Time: A Travelers's Guide (http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/time1.htm) by Cliff Pickover to be entertaining.

CthulhuBob
2003-May-30, 09:57 PM
Try "How to Build a Time Machine" by Professor of Mathematical Physics P.C.W. Davies. It was a very fun read but may hurt your brain if you think on it too much :D . Oh, and its only 80+ pages too!

BigJim
2003-May-31, 01:44 AM
Let's see-

"Time Travel" and "Time Machines" by Paul Nahin
"Time Travel in Einstein's Universe" by Richard Gott

The Supreme Canuck
2003-May-31, 04:52 AM
Try "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking. Full of blackhole and wormhole physics.

Pinemarten
2003-May-31, 10:10 AM
"The Door Into Summer" by Robert A. Heinlein.
It is fiction, but does explain a few things.

And by the way, welcome to the board.

kilopi
2003-May-31, 10:20 AM
"The Door Into Summer" by Robert A. Heinlein.
It is fiction, but does explain a few things..
And not The Number of the Beast, by Heinlein, even though it also is about time travel.

informant
2003-May-31, 12:02 PM
Especially since The Number of the Beast isn't really about time travel, IMO. :) Even though Jake initially says that he was building a time machine, it turns out that what the machine actually did was jump to parallel universes.

kilopi
2003-May-31, 01:37 PM
Especially since The Number of the Beast isn't really about time travel, IMO. :) Even though Jake initially says that he was building a time machine, it turns out that what the machine actually did was jump to parallel universes.
It is about time travel, in a three dimensional time. He labels the dimensions: t, tau (Greek t), teh (Cyrillic t). (p.50) Being able to choose, apparently (p.54), gives them 6 to the 6 to the 6 choices of universes--your parallel universes--but they even jump around in a single timeline, and once hide from themselves in a parallel universe, I think. I'll have to look up that chapter.

For obvious reasons, that's where the title comes from, but what's not so obvious is why it should be that number, and in particular he says it's (6^6)^6 instead of 6^(6^6). The first is only 6^36 (10^28 ), whereas the second is 6^46656 (more than 10^36305). I guess he wanted to make it more tractable. Later on, he reveals that they limited the technology so only 6^6 (46656) universes were accessible.

[removed redundant quote]

SAMU
2003-May-31, 04:40 PM
I enjoyed "The Man Who Folded Himself" By David Gerrold

Klausnh
2003-May-31, 07:51 PM
Thrice Upon a Time by James P. Hogan

sarongsong
2003-Jun-03, 08:20 AM
"Good news for time travellers - it just got cheaper. The amount of material
needed to build a window through time is infinitesimally small, new research
shows.
To travel through time, all you need to do is open a wormhole in space-time
and step through it. And to do that you need a magic ingredient called
'exotic matter', which is repelled rather than attracted by gravity..."
http://www.nature.com/nsu/030527/030527-12.html

Argos
2003-Jun-03, 01:58 PM
I have read (in physical medium) some S. Hawking thoughts on what he calls "protection of causality" which forbids time travel. He mentions it in his "Universe In a Nut Shell". Im trying to find a web link to the paper.