PDA

View Full Version : Question.

Dragon
2007-Mar-18, 12:44 AM
What makes a post say that it was edited by someone at such and such time? Because I posted several posts, edited the first one, and it said it was edited at such and such time. But then I deleted all of them and redid the experiment, and editing the first one did not make it say that. Is there like a time limit for that or something?

2007-Mar-18, 01:08 AM
Is there like a time limit for that or something?

Yes. I don't know what it is. Don't worry about it -- unless you are editing posts way after you make them and others respond. Don't do that.

(I must say, your font's still ugly.)

Dragon
2007-Mar-18, 01:22 AM
I changed it to Georgia. I had no idea you were so ubiquitous. ;) But do you think Georgia is ugly? And anyways, I just was wondering: the four-colour thread is the only thread I generally post in, so you can see people don't complain. It's just a matter of formatting that I usually change. Now then, another question: if you post and someone else posts after you and you edit your post and the time limit hasn't passed, will it say that the post was edited?

2007-Mar-18, 01:48 AM
I changed it to Georgia. I had no idea you were so ubiquitous. ;) But do you think Georgia is ugly? And anyways, I just was wondering: the four-colour thread is the only thread I generally post in, so you can see people don't complain. It's just a matter of formatting that I usually change.

(Yep, still ugly. Use the font everyone else uses, please. Get a unique avatar if you want to spot your articles or express your personality. Decorated text slows down reading. I think it should be used only where a voice change would convey extra meaning were the words spoken.)

Now then, another question: if you post and someone else posts after you and you edit your post and the time limit hasn't passed, will it say that the post was edited?

I don't know. Never cared. Don't worry about it.

Did you see the bit about editing articles in the rules for posting (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?p=564845)?

Edit your posts with care. There's no problem with editing a post later to change the tone or to correct spelling and the like. But changing content is not allowed! This is a slippery path that can be seen as revisionism. You may edit your post for up to 24 hours.

I frequently edit out the usual stupid mistakes in minutes after I submit. Something about seeing them in a regular article, not an edit-box, make my mistakes more obvious. If I'm changing content, I try to call out that I'm making an edit (usually "Edit:"). After someone replies I don't make any changes -- too late then -- unless it's a real, called out, addition that just isn't worth a new article.

Edit: like this edit. I thought the article could use an example.

Roy Batty
2007-Mar-18, 01:26 PM
I don't think there is a time limit for the 'Edited' message to kick in, I think it's only triggered if you edit after someone else has already posted. Hence when you deleted all your posts it didn't come up with the message with just the 1st one.

Btw I'm with 01101001 on the font thang :)

Dragon
2007-Mar-18, 08:55 PM
Well, I was of that opinion too, but then the first time I posted two posts, edited the first one, and it said edited at such and such time; the second time through, I posted two posts, edited the first one, and it did not say edited at such and such time. That was rather intriguing. So what is a font you want me to use?

Moose
2007-Mar-18, 08:57 PM
The default? It's the most legible.

Dragon
2007-Mar-18, 09:11 PM
Which is... ?
On the other hand, it is based on time. Because I just posted and someone posted after me, and I edited, so the post had an "Edit:" in there, but it did not say "Last edited...".

Moose
2007-Mar-18, 11:04 PM
Arial.

Dragon
2007-Mar-18, 11:07 PM
Thank you, I will do it henceforth.
═════════════════════════════════════════════════╣ ╠═══════════════════════════
My signature to identify my posts until I find a small enough avatar.

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Mar-18, 11:29 PM
Verdana, actually.

Dragon
2007-Mar-18, 11:31 PM
Very well, then I will use it until someone tells me otherwise. It is just too bad that Arial is at the very top and Verdana is at the very bottom... :)

Van Rijn
2007-Mar-19, 12:45 AM
I changed it to Georgia. I had no idea you were so ubiquitous. ;) But do you think Georgia is ugly? And anyways, I just was wondering: the four-colour thread is the only thread I generally post in, so you can see people don't complain.

People don't always complain. Sometimes they live with it, but sometimes they just ignore the posts. In the case of Viv Pope's long POAMS posts, I found it so annoying attempting to read the font that I just stopped trying. I'm glad to see you took the friendly advice. :)

Dragon
2007-Mar-19, 12:54 AM
Viv Pope's?

Van Rijn
2007-Mar-19, 01:03 AM
Here:

http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=52599

2007-Mar-19, 01:04 AM
Viv Pope's?

VivPope (http://www.bautforum.com/member.php?u=17039)

Yes, thanks for blending in on the font business. My eyes are happier.

Dragon
2007-Mar-19, 01:46 AM
Ah, OK. Well, I wouldn't be able to stand to waste time reading his ultraliberal-sounding proposition even were it in the right font. Of course, unless it were in my font. Wonder why this forum is so big on fonts... ;)

2007-Mar-19, 01:54 AM
Hey, does anyone know what are the details of that story, fairy tale, of the clever elf/leprechaun/sprite who was forced to mark the tree hiding the gold/treasure with a red/yellow/brightly colored bandanna/flag -- and carried out that task, yet kept the gold hidden, by tying a red bandanna around every tree in the forest?

═════════════════════════════════════════════ ════╣ ╠═══════════════════════════

No, I won't do that any more. Just thought it was funny -- if everyone did... Nah.

Dragon
2007-Mar-19, 02:17 AM
Huh? I don't get it, but it sounds great. Other than the fact that now I might get confused over which post is really mine.

HenrikOlsen
2007-Mar-19, 06:37 AM
Which is... ?
The default is "don't set a font."

While there are lots of very nice fonts out there, Palatino included, the majority of them are not optimized for the low resolution of the computer screen, making the difficult to read even if they'd be very good on a printed page.

We're interested in your fonts because this site is, at least partly, about the efficient communication of ideas.
Misuse of fonts as well as bad spelling and grammar make communication more difficult, and are therefore commented on in cases where people might improve.

Dragon
2007-Mar-19, 08:30 AM
Would I not setting a font were a choice. Then everyone's font would look like my favourite font, and my font would look like their font to them. But nope, it's not a choice, so sorry, I can't.
And actually, I chose Palatino Linotype because people told me not to use fixedsys or Georgia and I did not feel like searching for a better alternative.
But for my computer, no font is set to fixedsys, so were the pages not automatically set to (Verdana, I guess it is), I would be very happy and would actually prefer to use no font at all. Now then, is fixedsys hard to see on a low resolution screen?

Gillianren
2007-Mar-19, 05:51 PM
It's certainly unattractive.

Pinemarten
2007-Mar-20, 09:03 PM
I seems that a senior member has edited a post that is more than a week old, vastly changed the content; and there is no indication that it was ever edited. Have the rules on editing changed or have some members figured out how to crack the site? If it is a violation I feel I am forced to report it.

PS
OTT = on the topic
PS = post script

Dragon
2007-Mar-20, 09:10 PM
What was the post?

Pinemarten
2007-Mar-20, 09:20 PM
Oops!
Oops!
Oops!

The edit was noted!
The edit was noted!

It seems that I lost my connection and the page was loaded from my internet cache. The page in the cache was the original before the edit. When I hit refresh the edit showed up. Any moderator/administrator may feel free delete these posts.