PDA

View Full Version : Solar eclipse superstitions

pulsarX
2007-Mar-19, 05:36 AM
Today, there was the rise of the eclipsed sun which was visible from northern India. I happened to see it as I am an Indian. In India, we have a lot of superstitions about eclipses. During an eclipse, we cannot eat. As the eclipse ends, we must pray to the sun god. The sun must not be looked at even by mistake. We must bathe after the eclipse. Food prepared before the eclipse must be thrown away. On the eclipse day, cities become lifeless, as temples, offices etc. are closed. We do not venture out durind an eclipse. Some guys visit the holy pond at Kurukshetr as belief is that bathing there during an eclipse purifies your sole. Indian astrologers say that eclipses bring bad luck.

I delebrately do not abide by them actually.

What are the beliefs about eclipses in your region?

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Mar-19, 06:12 AM
Really, the only thing we don't do when there's an eclipse around here is look directly at it. Bad for the eyes until totality.

Donnie B.
2007-Mar-19, 01:43 PM
Historically, in the days before celestial mechanics were properly understood, eclipses were often considered to be ill omens (in the Western world). Still, I don't know of any rituals surrounding them like the ones you describe.

I have to wonder: did these rituals develop before or after eclipses became predictable? I would suspect the former, since once it became possible to predict them they would no longer hold much mystery or occult power.

So, could these rituals be holdovers from ancient times when eclipses were not understood?

farmerjumperdon
2007-Mar-19, 01:57 PM
Today, there was the rise of the eclipsed sun which was visible from northern India. I happened to see it as I am an Indian. In India, we have a lot of superstitions about eclipses. During an eclipse, we cannot eat. As the eclipse ends, we must pray to the sun god. The sun must not be looked at even by mistake. We must bathe after the eclipse. Food prepared before the eclipse must be thrown away. On the eclipse day, cities become lifeless, as temples, offices etc. are closed. We do not venture out durind an eclipse. Some guys visit the holy pond at Kurukshetr as belief is that bathing there during an eclipse purifies your sole. Indian astrologers say that eclipses bring bad luck.

I delebrately do not abide by them actually.

What are the beliefs about eclipses in your region?

That thing about not looking is not just superstition. You really should not look at the Sun directly any more than is necessary - which pretty much means you shouldn't. I've broken this rule a couple times in the past just to see what it looks like. Not a good idea though.

We also bath after an eclipse, . . . eventually.

The belief in our area, in general, is that solar eclipses are caused by the Moon and sun lining up in our line of sight. A few people, mostly living in caves and trailer parks, think there is some connection to Gods, supernatural powers or unexplainable mysterious and spooky phenomena.

Hydro
2007-Mar-19, 07:37 PM
Related thread (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=40153).

pulsarX
2007-Mar-28, 12:33 PM
I have to wonder: did these rituals develop before or after eclipses became predictable? I would suspect the former, since once it became possible to predict them they would no longer hold much mystery or occult power.

So, could these rituals be holdovers from ancient times when eclipses were not understood?

These superstitions are followed by Hindus. I am a Hindu myself and I know it is a very old religion and these superstitions have existed from the ancient times.