PDA

View Full Version : mars looking good

planethollywood
2003-Jun-01, 03:16 PM
sorry about the post but i am just excited by seeing mars through my telescope for the first time last night. I had read about the history of early observations of mars and the stories behind the misinterpretations of the canals.

But seeing it for myself helped me to understand why people could make these assumptions of a civillization on mars. I could see the north pole clearly and only very dim the canals and its only going to get better through this month. i'm excited!

I hope to take some photos. Crossed fingers for some clear skies.

Hale_Bopp
2003-Jun-01, 04:57 PM
Great...I haven't done a lot of Mars observing myself and am looking forward to this opposition.

However, I believe it is winter in the southern hemisphere right now (or early spring) so the southern polar ice cap should be more prominent. By any chance does you telescope invert the view of Mars?

Hey, I can never remember which way is up in the telescope :)

Rob

Aldrin
2003-Jun-01, 09:19 PM
I hope to take some photos. Crossed fingers for some clear skies.

There is actually an "non official contest" for taking pictures of Phobos and Deimos.

All the story here
http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4041&start=0 : :wink:

planethollywood
2003-Jun-01, 11:19 PM
good point Hale_Bopp, yes it does invert the image. In my excitement my brain didn't make the correction. thanks...

on a side point the "south pole ice cap" seemed much bigger than I expected. I had only seen pictures from astronomics sites of mars previously so i have no real first hand observations to go by.

Dickenmeyer
2003-Jun-02, 04:28 AM
good point Hale_Bopp, yes it does invert the image. In my excitement my brain didn't make the correction. thanks...

on a side point the "south pole ice cap" seemed much bigger than I expected. I had only seen pictures from astronomics sites of mars previously so i have no real first hand observations to go by.
I had my first good look at Mars last week and I too thought the polar cap looked unusually large and bright. In reading since then I've come to the conclusion that what we are really seeing (mostly) is the "South Polar Hood".
The polar hoods are circumpolar masses of cold mist which should disappear by the beginning of the polar cap meltdown and my sources indicate that they are very bright. The hood should dissipate within a month or so and then we will have a clearer view of the melting polar cap.