PDA

View Full Version : Well, it worked for the coffee guys.

Big Bad Boo
2007-Mar-27, 05:02 AM
Funny stuff here!

Who in their right mind would think of a buy one get one free (http://www.stuffed.co.nz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=265&Itemid=29) sale for a CAR?

sarongsong
2007-Mar-27, 05:36 AM
You know it's pretend, right?

Tog
2007-Mar-27, 06:39 AM
When the Yugo came out, I recall hearing of a Cadillac dealer in Texas that gave away a free Yugo with any Cadillac. Unconfirmed but plausible. Yugos sold for under $5000 in 1984. Bogo Porche sale though... Not really likely.

NEOWatcher
2007-Mar-27, 12:13 PM
You know it's pretend, right?
I agree, and I am rather irked at the fact that they don't say so.

Anyway, Tog was right about the Yugo. It went to under $2000 around here, and some were being given away.

I have heard the buy an x get a y free deal on the radio recently (I think it was a Sedona and a Rio). I'm sure when you consider the "up to $15,000" off offer, it would be easy to do if you pay retail, and the first vehicle is "decked out".

Roving Philosopher
2007-Mar-27, 03:10 PM
An old Yugo joke for your amusement:

Q: What happens when you are driving in a Yugo, listening to music, and you hit a bump?

A: The record skips

jamesabrown
2007-Mar-27, 03:13 PM
Hey, Yugos weren't all bad. They had some standard features, like rear-window defrost.

Keeps your hands warm when you're pushing it.

NEOWatcher
2007-Mar-27, 03:15 PM
Well, that one can be applied to a whole bunch of cars, besides, that was a feature in the 50s Chryslers (http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9687999-1.html?tag=head)

I personally liked the 4 door We-Go.

Doodler
2007-Mar-27, 03:18 PM

Q: What happens when you are driving in a Yugo, listening to music, and you hit a bump?

A: The record skips

As funny as that is, when my brother's Aveo hits a bump, the CD does in fact skip...

Tog
2007-Mar-27, 03:20 PM
Hey, Yugos weren't all bad. They had some standard features, like rear-window defrost.

Okay, that was funny.

When I was in High school in about 1987 I read a consumers digest review of the Yugo. In a 5 MPH impact on the front and rear, like one might experience while parking, the Yugo tested took over $1,000 in damage. None of the other cars tested required repairs.

Every now and then I actually see one driving around and it just amazes me. I saw a Chevy Sprint the other day too. Bold name for a car with three cylinders.

Donnie B.
2007-Mar-27, 03:21 PM
"My car's so bad that when I hit a bump, my mp3 player skips!"

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week. Thursday is Ladies' Night!

NEOWatcher
2007-Mar-27, 04:15 PM
... I saw a Chevy Sprint the other day too. Bold name for a car with three cylinders.
Maybe it's limitted to doing a 440.;)

Big Bad Boo
2007-Mar-27, 06:16 PM
Ah- I didn't know it was fake. It was sent to me in an email. >.<

farmerjumperdon
2007-Mar-27, 06:20 PM
I see past tense references. Is Yugo gone?

Over.

Trebuchet
2007-Mar-27, 07:04 PM
Last I heard, the factory, in Serbia, was producing weapons for the various Balkan civil wars. Things are a bit more peaceful now, perhaps they've gone back to cars.

But I think the "Yugo" name was for export only. It's almost certainly as gone as the country it represented.

Jeff Root
2007-Mar-27, 08:29 PM
A few years ago (while Yugoslavia still existed, I think... Ah, it was
January 1997. Did Yugoslavia still exist then?) I saw an art display
on Navy Pier in Chicago where something like two dozen Yugos had
been given to two dozen artists for them to modify. They really
transformed those cars. One was redone in sea green fiberglass
and outfitted like a Port-a-potty. It was named "Yugo First".

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Larry Jacks
2007-Mar-27, 08:29 PM
There was a movie several years ago called Drowning Mona (http://www.amazon.com/Drowning-Mona-Danny-DeVito/dp/B00004TJJX/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-8543180-9787823?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1175026616&sr=8-1), starring Danny DeVito, Jamie Lee Curtiss and Bette Midler. It was a fairly funny movie. One of the running gags was that everyone in this town drove a Yugo. I wonder what it took to get that many functioning Yugos together to make the movie. It'd almost be easier to put together a squadron of WWII planes than that many Yugos.

ToSeek
2007-Mar-27, 09:11 PM
I was visiting one used car dealer who had just accepted as trade-in a positively ancient Toyota Corolla, with paint peeling and the seats in tatters. He was wondering out loud what to do with it and mused about giving it away free to someone who bought another car from him.

Whirlpool
2007-Mar-28, 03:19 AM
"My car's so bad that when I hit a bump, my mp3 player skips!"

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week. Thursday is Ladies' Night!

Same here, but not MP3 Player, my CD player is . :wall: <I'm old-fashioned :p>

What's with Thursdays , and it's our night?

;)

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Mar-28, 03:26 AM
our driveway looks like ther was a two for one sale my sister bought 94 jeep and soon after my mother bought one same year different color.

Bearded One
2007-Mar-28, 03:27 AM
But we're in a Yugo! (http://home.att.net/~orac/yugoservice.WMV)

Edit: Per sarongsong's post - Link is to a WMV file, appropriate player required.

Whirlpool
2007-Mar-28, 03:34 AM
our driveway looks like ther was a two for one sale my sister bought 94 jeep and soon after my mother bought one same year different color.

Maybe your mom liked the jeep and wanted to have one for herself. :D

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Mar-28, 03:38 AM
Maybe your mom liked the jeep and wanted to have one for herself. :D
It actually was like that plus it also gives more access to couple of woodlots we have.

sarongsong
2007-Mar-28, 04:06 AM
But we're in a Yugo!Video link-alert:
WMV (*.wmv) files...can be played by players such as MPlayer or Windows Media Player, the latter being only available for Microsoft Windows and Macintosh systems... wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Video)

Bearded One
2007-Mar-28, 04:27 AM
Video link-alert:There, I added a disclaimer. Happy? :p

Also plays with Kaffeine and VLC under Linux. Seems to pixelate more with those players though.

sarongsong
2007-Mar-28, 05:45 AM
http://bautforum.com/images/icons/icon7.gif Thanks---Opera locks-up on contact w/ MS media files; I switch to Firefox for those.

Kaptain K
2007-Mar-28, 07:12 AM
My brother and his wife have his-n-hers Chevy Aveos in Dallas Cowboys blue and silver.

Gillianren
2007-Mar-28, 07:19 AM
Mention of Yugos always reminds me of Adobe, the little car that's made of clay.

Noclevername
2007-Apr-19, 05:22 AM
I saw a Chevy Sprint the other day too. Bold name for a car with three cylinders.

Actually, my first car was a Sprint-- a golf cart with a roof, it started shaking like it had seizures if I went over 80, but it lasted 14 years with only a few thousand in maintainance. Got terrific milage too. If it wasn't for an oil leak that melted the engine, I'd still be using it today. With gas prices the way they are, that would be a good thing.

LurchGS
2007-Apr-19, 05:37 AM
Speaking of used car lots...The city actually came by a while back and cited me for too many vehicles... the 84 RV, my 95 Lincoln, my wife's 93 Blazer and my wife's 89 Cougar. And I have two boys approaching oh-my-god age - and both have taken an interest in autocross.

http://www.performanceimagery.com/events/scca/15apr07/DPS/11/

Some pics taken this past weekend with Megalon co-piloting. (No shots of Godzilla here - I'll get them developed one day)

I'm doomed.

(oh, the RV is gone - but I'm hunting for a couple Karmann Ghias so the monsters can race their own cars)

----

As a friend of mine said to me today: two stupids don't make a smart

jfribrg
2007-Apr-20, 05:21 PM
When the Yugo came out, I recall hearing of a Cadillac dealer in Texas that gave away a free Yugo with any Cadillac. Unconfirmed but plausible. Yugos sold for under $5000 in 1984. Bogo Porche sale though... Not really likely.

I recall this promotion as well. IIRC, it was a very widespread promotion. I also remember stories that most customers refused to take the free car.

Ronald Brak
2007-Apr-22, 07:02 PM
In India there is a company that is going to produce a $2,500 car. It has four doors and will do almost 130 km/h. Unfortunately it won't meet U.S. safety standards in its current form.

LurchGS
2007-Apr-22, 07:09 PM
In India there is a company that is going to produce a $2,500 car. It has four doors and will do almost 130 km/h. Unfortunately it won't meet U.S. safety standards in its current form.

4 doors, no body to speak of, no lights, no brakes, no seats, no steering wheel....

Back to the BOGO thing.. there was a dealer in the Denver area a year or so ago.. offered a Scion or some such free with the purchase of a "real" car. that is, you had to spend $40K or more to get two cars

Pinemarten
2007-Apr-23, 12:33 AM
Funny stuff here!

Who in their right mind would think of a buy one get one free (http://www.stuffed.co.nz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=265&Itemid=29) sale for a CAR?

When our Good and Services Tax first came out at 7% it applied to cars but not apples.

One company sold you a car for $1 if you bought an apple for $20,000. A saving of $1400.
They had to change the federal law in the house to stop the practise.

Ronald Brak
2007-Apr-23, 02:55 AM
4 doors, no body to speak of, no lights, no brakes, no seats, no steering wheel....

No, a complete but very basic car.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/07_17/b4031064.htm?campaign_id=rediff_indiacar

LurchGS
2007-Apr-29, 05:53 AM
if they can do it, more power to them. I'm not planning on buying one, though. I think I'll have problems enough in my big car if some truck crosses the median.

Still - I'll need to think on this a bit - it might just be light enough to bounce off ...

Gillianren
2007-Apr-29, 08:55 AM
I read once that, statistically speaking, large cars are safer in accidents, but small cars get into fewer accidents. My figures are 20 years out of date, though, so I don't know if that's still true.

Ronald Brak
2007-Apr-29, 09:09 AM
I understand that SUV's aren't particularly safe, despite their large size.

I also understand that a lot of people in the U.S. don't wear seatbelts. (They are compulsary for everyone in the car here.) This can turn what would overwise be an expensive repair job into a potentially crippling set of injuries. Perhaps without seat belts a more massive car is considerably safer, unless it is top heavy and tends to roll like an SUV.

This is all just speculation on my part.

mugaliens
2007-Apr-29, 11:52 AM

So that's why they got twice the gas milage of any other car in their class...

LurchGS
2007-Apr-29, 05:39 PM
I understand that SUV's aren't particularly safe, despite their large size.

I also understand that a lot of people in the U.S. don't wear seatbelts. (They are compulsary for everyone in the car here.) This can turn what would overwise be an expensive repair job into a potentially crippling set of injuries. Perhaps without seat belts a more massive car is considerably safer, unless it is top heavy and tends to roll like an SUV.

This is all just speculation on my part.

In the states, they're considered trucks, not cars, so are in a separate category. However, in the broad sense, you are correct - most SUVs are built with a too-narrow wheelbase and take little extra energy to instigate a roll. Unfortunately, these are the more popular (cheaper) models, so swarm our highways like disturbed ants - driven by individuals who have no idea what they are doing. These people, in the past, would almost certainly have purchased a large car in which to carry their progeny. That's increasingly not a choice as the automotive downsizes everything. So.. they are left with minivans and SUVs. MInivans are seen as less safe and less... impressive. (Soccer-mom-car vs rugged-tree-climbing-mom-car)

Seatbelts are required in most states - but in most cases it's what I call... well... a seatbelt law. One that the police can't stop you for, but will make a difference in the post-collision investigation. And the hospital or morgue.
Colorado was trying to make not wearing a seatbelt a first order offense, so police could stop you for it, but I don't know how the vote came out.

All that being said, an SUV is still safer than a small car, probably not significantly worse or even better than a large car, depending on the SUV

loglo
2007-Apr-29, 06:09 PM
snip...

All that being said, an SUV is still safer than a small car, probably not significantly worse or even better than a large car, depending on the SUV

The stats I have seen agree with that but also say that cars involved in collisions with a SUV will have on average far more fatalities than if they collided with sedans (the figure I think was 40-50% more fatalities). So the SUV occupants may be slightly safer in one, but everyone else on the road isn't!

Delvo
2007-Apr-29, 06:20 PM
A lot of so-called "SUVs" these days aren't SUVs in the original sense. When they were first invented, SUVs were based on trucks, so they essentially were trucks with more passenger space and less cargo space, which meant they were still truck-like in terms of frame construction, suspension, steering/braking/handling, and such. That will carry people around but isn't very good for some things that are priorities in the passenger vehicle world, like noise reduction and smoothness of ride and street-handling. So manufacturers started trying to make them more comfortable and better suited to the street environment they're practically always really driven on anyway, which meant making them more like cars and less like trucks, which led to the epiphany that they should just start basing them on cars to begin with instead of basing them on trucks. So now there are two kinds of "SUV": the truck-based ones and the car-based ones. (The latter are essentially minivans or mini-minivans by another name, with swinging doors instead of sliding.)

I think it was about a year ago that the insurance industry published its top ten safest and most dangerous cars based on how many are registered. The top ten "most dangerous" list consisited of sports cars/hotrods, trucks, and truck-based SUVs. The top ten "safest" list included things that were dedicated passenger vehicles and had been designed as such from the start: "normal" cars, minivans, and car-based SUVs.

Gillianren
2007-Apr-29, 08:25 PM
My figures are from before the SUV revolution, which is why I was unsure of them.

In Washington state, while they can't pull you over for seatbelt violation (I don't think; I always wear mine), they can and do fine you a large amount of money if they pull you over for something else and you're not wearing it.

sarongsong
2007-Apr-29, 08:36 PM
...Seatbelts are required in most states - but in most cases it's what I call... well... a seatbelt law. One that the police can't stop you for...Ha-ha! Don't try that in California; cops can see if your shoulder strap is on or not and WILL pull you over if they want to. You're OK if the vehicle's original equipment was only lap-belts and they are fastened.

Trebuchet
2007-Apr-29, 10:18 PM
I heard some statistics on seatbelt usage the other day and was surprised how high it was. Washington was highest, with something like 95%. Somwhere in the deep South (Mississippi?) was lowest but still at around 75% if I'm remembering correctly. And yes I always wear mine.

Lord Jubjub
2007-Apr-29, 10:41 PM
The Yugo was actually salable in the U.S. When I was stationed in Germany about the time the Berlin Wall fell, the Trabant was the butt of a few jokes.

What do you do when your Trabant breaks down?

Weld a couple handles on it and use it as a wheelbarrow.

LurchGS
2007-Apr-30, 01:26 AM
I used to not wear my seatbelt - no particular reason, I just didn't.

Then I got married and made HER start wearing HER seatbelt. Ha!

The kids grew up in seatbelts. The car doesn't move until all belts are fastened, and the belts don't come off until the engine is off or the driver says "ok". Never had a word of complaint about it either, from them (some of their friends complain. Tough).

They did have the usual "I wanna sit up front" for a long time - that became a privilege when they each turned 11 (though they were acually in the "safe size" range when they were 8..big kids, you betcha!)

Personally, I think people who don't wear seatbelts are stupid. People who don't have their young children in booster/baby seats are criminally insane. I see a kid bouncing in the seat of a car, I call 911. May not actually get anything done, but it makes me feel better.

NEOWatcher
2007-Apr-30, 01:02 PM
A lot of so-called "SUVs" these days aren't SUVs in the original sense.
This makes it quite difficult for someone like me who has a single vehicle to be used in all situations, including towing. There are not a lot of choices if you don't want to go with a full sized truck.

The top ten "most dangerous" list consisited of sports cars/hotrods, trucks, and truck-based SUVs.
Dangerous as far as injury? frequency? damage?
I'm sure a great deal of it is also based on the demographic of the owners.

mickal555
2007-Apr-30, 01:28 PM
Yeah, It's weird for me to even imagine driving around without a seatbelt. My parents enforced it strongly. :D

SUV? We call them Four Wheel Drives down here. 4wd.

NEOWatcher
2007-Apr-30, 03:13 PM
SUV? We call them Four Wheel Drives down here. 4wd.
That's only a minor sub-class of SUV here.

Pinemarten
2007-May-01, 12:01 AM
4WD and AWD owners tend to forget they still only have four brakes. I used to have a '75 full size car with two wheel rear drive.
I had four studded snow tires for it.
When I stopped or slowed down quickly I had to make sure I wasn't going to get rear-ended by them. I could always out-accelerate them as well.

mickal555
2007-May-01, 07:39 AM
That's only a minor sub-class of SUV here.

Thats interesting...

I mean we have vans, 4wd's and ute's and then it's all trucks

Tog
2007-May-01, 08:06 AM
Thats interesting...

I mean we have vans, 4wd's and ute's and then it's all trucks

In the States, most people think of an SUV as a large truck like thing that's a cross between a pick up with a shell on the back and a van. They don't have to be 4 wheel drive, but most are. Most will never go off road despite having every off road looking accessory available, usually in chrome. Also, they tend to come with more AV gear than most schools.;)

To me, a 4wd would be a older Jeep, Land Rover, or a Land Cruiser.
A truck is something with a cab and an open bed, or bed with a shell on the back, 2 or 4 wheel drive.
A van has a stub nose and is designd in a way that the cargo area is accessible from the driver's seat.

mickal555
2007-May-01, 09:40 AM
4WD
http://www.hirecar.co.nz/images/cars/rav4wd.jpg[/URL]
http://www.farmfantastic.com/img/2006/4wd_track_intro.jpg

Jeep:
http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2007-jeep-rubicon.jpg

Ute:
http://www.auto-rent.com.au/ute.jpg

Van
http://www.vanpriceguide.co.uk/vans/toyota/images/toyota_hiace.gif

Truck:
http://www.vecoplanllc.com/images/products/About%20Truck.jpg

Semi-Trailer
http://www.tfhrc.gov/pubrds/04jan/images/botel1a.jpg

Bee:
http://www.physorg.com/newman/gfx/news/1-bee.jpg

etc...

sarongsong
2007-Dec-28, 04:49 AM
I see past tense references. Is Yugo gone?...News! :)
December 27, 2007
The manufacturer [Zastava] of the much-maligned Yugo will be sold next year...The Yugo was removed from the U.S. market in the early 1990s following U.S. sanctions against Yugoslavia...Zastava has been recovering after being heavily damaged during the 1999 NATO bombing of Serbia, clinching two production deals with global automakers...assembles Punto cars for Italy's Fiat...[and] a deal with General Motors for local production of Opel Astras, with the first cars expected to roll out next year...has about 4,000 employees...produced 15,000 cars in 2006, far below its capacity of 60,000 per year...
International Herald Tribune (http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/12/27/business/yugo.php)