PDA

View Full Version : Bad Science, Good Movie

VPCCD
2007-Mar-27, 09:58 PM
Are there any movies that have terrible science and astronomy in them, but you are able to over look the mistakes and enjoy the movie?

Doodler
2007-Mar-27, 11:02 PM
Enemy Mine.

Van Rijn
2007-Mar-27, 11:35 PM
Frankly, there aren't many movies that have good science or astronomy, so pretty much any science fiction movie that I liked aside from perhaps 2001 and one or two others would fit the criteria. That would include Star Wars and Star Trek movies (at least the ones I liked).

Delvo
2007-Mar-28, 12:57 AM
And 2001 invoked magic and presented evolution as a destiny or "grand scheme"...

Van Rijn
2007-Mar-28, 01:33 AM
And 2001 invoked magic and presented evolution as a destiny or "grand scheme"...

Any sufficiently advanced technology . . .

The idea of aliens genetically engineering humans is science fiction, but would be physically possible. Hyperspace travel (or whatever happened through the monolith) doesn't appear to be possible, of course. Still, I don't have a problem with an introduced idea like FTL in what is, after all, a science fiction story. The problem is when you start doing wrong things with known physics.

Bearded One
2007-Mar-28, 04:01 AM
Any sufficiently advanced technology . . .

The idea of aliens genetically engineering humans is science fiction, but would be physically possible. Hyperspace travel (or whatever happened through the monolith) doesn't appear to be possible, of course. Still, I don't have a problem with an introduced idea like FTL in what is, after all, a science fiction story. The problem is when you start doing wrong things with known physics.Clarke wasn't one to use FTL much, his only novel that I recall that openly used it was Against the Fall of Night and it's successor The City and the Stars. ATFON was also his first novel. He implied it in a few short stories mainly as a tool to set the stage for an underlying message. Examples are Rescue Party and The Star. In 2001 it was never made clear if Bowman ever actually went anywhere, it could have all been an implanted mental image. In the final novel, 3001, Clarke pretty much put the speed brakes on the Monolith creators and limited them to STL travel/communications.

EricDerKonig
2007-Mar-28, 04:55 AM
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, and, oh, probably every other sci-fi movie I like.

Dr Nigel
2007-Mar-28, 05:35 PM
The Fifth Element.

jamesabrown
2007-Mar-28, 07:00 PM
The Matrix

FlyingPenguins
2007-Mar-28, 07:27 PM
Plan 9 From Outer Space

I'll admit it's more because I can't overlook the obvious flaws that made this movie worth watching.

Occam
2007-Mar-28, 09:45 PM
Let's face it - all of them.
They're entertainment and as such take liberties with reality. Suspension of disbelief is fine and acceptable. It only fails when the viewer's intelligence is blatantly insulted by rank stupidity.

Doodler
2007-Mar-28, 09:53 PM

And evoked somnolence, acid use, and utter frelling bewilderment...

VPCCD
2007-Mar-29, 02:19 AM
Let's face it - all of them.
They're entertainment and as such take liberties with reality. Suspension of disbelief is fine and acceptable. It only fails when the viewer's intelligence is blatantly insulted by rank stupidity.

I admit most sci-fi movies go to far when it comes to bad science, but there has to be at least one movie that is compleatly acurate.:think:

Tog
2007-Mar-29, 07:25 AM
I really like Star Trek IV despite the fact they got science as right as they ever to for Trek; as well as screwing up the plot in several ways.

The details of the conspiracy were plotted about as well as the ones we used to get in the CT section. Details available if anyone cares.

Spock apparently was related to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. (possible I guess)

He attributes the quote "Once the impossible is eliminated, all the remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth" to one of his ancestors. Data attributes the same quote to Sherlock Holmes on at least two occasions.

Spock carries a transponder around with him at all times, just in case Jim does something really foolish.

The shape changer uses it's own voice at all times, except when it mimics Kirk, then does not change back to another form to prove who it is when the guards find them on the surface, as per the plan.

Uhura's suggestion of using the sensors used to catalog the gas anomalies to fly a torpedo 'up the tailpipe' of the Klingon ship only had one minor flaw... It was the Excelsior that was on that mission at the start of the film, not the Enterprise.

In the theater, the version I saw never revealed the sniper to be human. It was edited in a way that the assassin was a Klingon. I guess the red blood was supposed to be enough.

The underlying conspiracy was a paradox. In order to prevent the Klingons and Federation from working together, one group of each worked together in an effort to continue hostilities with one another.

And yet, I still like it.

Tog
2007-Mar-29, 07:26 AM
I admit most sci-fi movies go to far when it comes to bad science, but there has to be at least one movie that is compleatly acurate.:think:

How did Apollo13 rate, or is that not Sci-fi?

Dave Mitsky
2007-Mar-29, 08:23 AM
I really like Star Trek IV despite the fact they got science as right as they ever to for Trek; as well as screwing up the plot in several ways.

The details of the conspiracy were plotted about as well as the ones we used to get in the CT section. Details available if anyone cares.

Spock apparently was related to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. (possible I guess)

He attributes the quote "Once the impossible is eliminated, all the remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth" to one of his ancestors. Data attributes the same quote to Sherlock Holmes on at least two occasions.

Spock carries a transponder around with him at all times, just in case Jim does something really foolish.

The shape changer uses it's own voice at all times, except when it mimics Kirk, then does not change back to another form to prove who it is when the guards find them on the surface, as per the plan.

Uhura's suggestion of using the sensors used to catalog the gas anomalies to fly a torpedo 'up the tailpipe' of the Klingon ship only had one minor flaw... It was the Excelsior that was on that mission at the start of the film, not the Enterprise.

In the theater, the version I saw never revealed the sniper to be human. It was edited in a way that the assassin was a Klingon. I guess the red blood was supposed to be enough.

The underlying conspiracy was a paradox. In order to prevent the Klingons and Federation from working together, one group of each worked together in an effort to continue hostilities with one another.

And yet, I still like it.

I believe that was Star Trek VI.

Dave Mitsky

Tog
2007-Mar-29, 12:33 PM

Dave Mitsky
:doh:
Bah. Lysdexia got me again.

VPCCD
2007-Mar-29, 03:54 PM

Belive it or not i've actually never seen apollo 13, I need to though.

ToSeek
2007-Mar-29, 03:55 PM

Dave Mitsky

Which I think is also the one with the old Vulcan saying, "Only Nixon can go to China." I'm assuming this is a loose translation.

SeanF
2007-Mar-29, 04:10 PM
Which I think is also the one with the old Vulcan saying, "Only Nixon can go to China." I'm assuming this is a loose translation.
It's also the same one with the reference to reading Shakespeare "in the original Klingon." :)

Occam
2007-Mar-29, 08:35 PM
Even Apollo 13 has errors, once again for narrative purposes, but errors all the same. Example: On the way back to Earth, a corective burn is made in which Earth's terminator is used to line up the spacecraft (stars were unusable because of all the debris around them). When we see this, the spacecraft is slewing around all over the place, which is nonsense, but more importantly the spacecraft is pointing directly at Earth. In reality, the burn was made at about a 90 degree angle.
That's just nit-picking of course but it does demonstrate that ALL movies are entertainment primarily. It is possible to learn from them but what you learn may not be true.

allenwench
2007-Mar-30, 01:48 PM
Them!

That was a wonderful giant atomic monster movie. All giant atomic monster moves have bad science. But James Whitmore and Edmund Gwenn were great. It also had a female lead (Joan Weldon) who was intelligent and competent. She did fall down and scream when she saw the first giant ant, but most people would have done the same. It also had some fun bits when the investigators are talking to people who've seen the ants, Fess Parker and one old guy in the drunk tank in particular. Leonard Nimoy also shows up for one or two lines. I recognized his voice before the face. He was very young then.

"Make me a sergant and charge the booze!"

stutefish
2007-Mar-31, 12:49 AM
Serenity

Pip
2007-Mar-31, 02:08 AM

These two aren't necessarily that bad.

I always got the sense that Martia (the shape shifter) used her own voice to clue Kirk and McCoy in to her real identity, then used Kirk's to confuse McCoy.

As for the second one, I don't think it's all that unreasonable that two vessels in Starfleet (which is supposedly a scientific and exploratory organization) would have the same kind of equipment for cataloging gaseous anomalies on board.

Dr Nigel
2007-Mar-31, 06:03 AM
What the heck is a gaseous anomaly?

Ronald Brak
2007-Mar-31, 06:23 AM

I think it's related to that space-time anomaly that keeps following them around.

In our reality we have the Weather Channel. In Star Trek they must have the Space-Time anomaly channel because there's so many of the darn things.

Doodler
2007-Mar-31, 05:44 PM

A transparent nebula caused by spicy food and carbonated beverages.

Dr Nigel
2007-Mar-31, 09:27 PM
A transparent nebula caused by spicy food and carbonated beverages.

Ahh. Now I understand. :lol: