PDA

View Full Version : stupid question re: nuclear waste in an oil well

tofu
2007-Mar-30, 01:31 PM
What would be the implications of using oil well drilling equipment to dig a 10,000 meter hole in some random place and then dropping spent nuclear fuel rods down the hole?

2007-Mar-30, 01:41 PM
It seems it would imply that scientists know a lot more about how wastes behave under high pressure and high temperature than when it was rejected.

US Department of Energy: Managing nuclear waste: Options considered (http://www.ocrwm.doe.gov/factsheets/doeymp0017.shtml)

Another option scientists investigated was disposal in very deep holes: placing high-level radioactive waste containers as deep as about six miles (10,000 meters) underground. At such depths, the radioactivity theoretically could be isolated until it decayed to a safe level.

Very deep-hole disposal was rejected as an option, however. While it would keep radioactive waste below most groundwater, the surrounding rock would have to retain its structure under extreme heat and radiation.

Scientists do not know enough about how radioactive waste would behave under the exceptionally high pressures and temperatures of very deep holes.

farmerjumperdon
2007-Mar-30, 01:45 PM
What would be the implications of using oil well drilling equipment to dig a 10,000 meter hole in some random place and then dropping spent nuclear fuel rods down the hole?

Why random, and why so deep? I can think of a few choice places where I'd like to drop them in someone's lap.

tofu
2007-Mar-30, 02:43 PM
From 69's link: "the surrounding rock would have to retain its structure under extreme heat and radiation."

So, the worry is that you would create a nuclear volcano?

I wonder what would stop the molten rock from diluting the nuclear waste and then cooling.

TrAI
2007-Mar-30, 06:38 PM

Hmmm... Seemed like a good idea to me too once, get rid of the stuf where it wouldn't be in the way. But now when I see something like suggestions of sending spent fuel into the sun or digging it down deep I see a bunch of people in a meeting:

- "Ok, we have found a solution to the problem. We can reuse spent nuclear fuel. So I want you to start working on ways to transform the fuel into a form suited for the job. Any questions?"
- "Uhm...."
- "Yes?"
- "Did anyone concider how we would recover the stuff?"
- "Recover what?"
- "The spent fuel... it's all sealed up 10 kilometers down in the ground somewere..."
- "..."

After all, it may come in handy some day, it may have uses we do not currently employ or even know off...

Van Rijn
2007-Mar-31, 12:32 AM

In terms of risk, compared to the risk of other waste handling for other energy sources, that's actually a pretty low risk option (mostly because, for other energy sources, there is simply far more waste to deal with, so we can't afford to be fancy). However, when compared to other ways of storing nuclear waste, careful, controlled storage (such as in Yucca) has even lower risk.

JustAFriend
2007-Mar-31, 02:58 AM
I can think of quite a few places in the world where they could be ground up and spread around for general birth control....

Ronald Brak
2007-Mar-31, 03:18 AM
I can think of quite a few places in the world where they could be ground up and spread around for general birth control....

This wouldn't result in birth control. Although radiation can decrease fertility, it only achieves this by doing damage to human cells. Anyone giving ground up fuel rod to someone as birth control would probably be commiting murder.

crosscountry
2007-Mar-31, 02:12 PM
Why random, and why so deep? I can think of a few choice places where I'd like to drop them in someone's lap.

you know farmer, they'd like to do the same to us. I'm not sure our radiating another country would be such a good idea considering our current issues with Iran and North Korea.

I'll admit though, your wording and witty response did make me laugh - especially the question.