PDA

View Full Version : No! Not "V"! Ahhhhhh......!

g99
2003-Jun-02, 09:36 PM
Read this (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2003-06/02/11.15.tv)

But be warned, you might cringe in your seat.

tracer
2003-Jun-02, 09:49 PM
They're stealng our water!

dgruss23
2003-Jun-02, 09:56 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooo!!!!!!!

They say no date is set for the shooting, but I think they're wrong. Find out when the first episode is set to air and you can pencil in on your calendar that date (and time) as the day millions of TV's across America will be shot by their owners!

2003-Jun-02, 10:25 PM
Hey, it MIGHT be better. Then again, probably not.

daver
2003-Jun-02, 10:26 PM
Hmm, maybe they'll update the premise a bit. Stealing water is pretty hackneyed--dumb enough that it's even made its way into Star Trek. Maybe there's some other compound that Earth has in abundance that is needed by the aliens. I propose MORONIUM. It could turn out that civilization requires massive amounts, or people would stop watching their tvs and stop following their political leaders. Earth, as it happens, is a natural producer. North America is gifted with two large sites; one on the west coast, one on the east. Its entertainment capital has migrated to one site, its political capital to the other.

Initially, Earthlings are glad to turn over their excess supply to the invaders, but then social and entertainment structures start to collapse, and chaos ensues.

g99
2003-Jun-02, 10:36 PM
I know! Their core is collapsing and they need Unobtanium to stop it! dun dun dunnnnnnn! :-)

dgruss23
2003-Jun-02, 11:25 PM
Hey, it MIGHT be better. Then again, probably not.

If the precept was that the aliens found themselves battling Dumb and Dumber.

Beaver
2003-Jun-03, 12:54 AM
I will admit it "I loved it and I do not care who knows it" :D

Rodina
2003-Jun-03, 01:22 AM
I don't mind the anti-gravity, I don't mind the water stealing, I don't mind the human "costumes" over their lizard reality, I don't even mind the alien-crossed-with-human baby, I just mind this: THEY ALREADY MADE THAT SHOW!

I mean, there are literally dozens of good, solid alien invasion stories to work with -- any of them could be done very well in a one-season miniseries, ala Fox's Twenty-Four: Niven/Pournelle's Footfall, Silverberg's The Alien Years (which, involving very few aliens and being all in Los Angeles, might not be that bad, flawed as it was), what have you.

dgruss23
2003-Jun-03, 01:34 AM
I'll second that Rodina. Come up with something different already!

wedgebert
2003-Jun-03, 01:53 AM
I always thought that, if done correctly, X-Com UFO Defense would make a good TV series.

But it'd have to be high quality, not the crap that the Sci-Fi channel puts out.

freddo
2003-Jun-03, 02:07 AM
It would need a jucier ending - something a little more exciting than a mere dose of hot plasma between the eyes... if you clocked the game you'll know what I mean!

wedgebert
2003-Jun-03, 02:24 AM
Why have it end? You could have it go for a long time by turning from "Fending off UFO attacks" to "The aliens are winning and now it's an underground resistance".

g99
2003-Jun-03, 02:34 AM
Why have it end? You could have it go for a long time by turning from "Fending off UFO attacks" to "The aliens are winning and now it's an underground resistance".

They did that for a while already. There was a War of the Worlds T.V. series that had this premise.

wedgebert
2003-Jun-03, 02:35 AM
Yeah, but I still want my X-Com series :)

In fact, I think I remember that War of the Worlds show, wasn't very good.

g99
2003-Jun-03, 02:39 AM
I think a good series would be a alternate history event where humans continue with apollo and space.

It would entail humans exploring the solar system and the pressures from home. Each week would be trying to push that much farther into the solar system or trying to deal with the new bases on Mars and the moon. The pressures of home and its taxing on the economies of the world will also play a part.

And no Aliens...at leats untill the sreries finally or sweeps week.

-------------

A great game and universe to turn into a series would be the Freespace universe.

wedgebert
2003-Jun-03, 02:57 AM
I think a good series would be a alternate history event where humans continue with apollo and space.

It would entail humans exploring the solar system and the pressures from home. Each week would be trying to push that much farther into the solar system or trying to deal with the new bases on Mars and the moon. The pressures of home and its taxing on the economies of the world will also play a part.

And no Aliens...at leats untill the sreries finally or sweeps week.

So you want a series that basically says "FARK you NASA, this is what we COULD have done years ago?"

g99
2003-Jun-03, 03:09 AM
So you want a series that basically says "FARK you NASA, this is what we COULD have done years ago?"

In essence, yes. Hey! That would be a good title for it! FNASA! :-)

captain swoop
2003-Jun-03, 08:59 AM
I always thought that, if done correctly, X-Com UFO Defense would make a good TV series.

But it'd have to be high quality, not the crap that the Sci-Fi channel puts out.

Been done.

Gerry Andersons first 'Live people' show was UFO about defending against attacks by, erm well, UfOs'

informant
2003-Jun-03, 12:55 PM
I liked V, the miniseries. Then they made it into a series, which I never had the chance to watch, and it seems to have gone downhill (http://www.firsttvdrama.com/neverf/never7.php3).
I wasn't looking forward to a sequel, but I trust Kenneth Johnson. He was the mind behind the miniseries, and he seems to want to do a decent show.

TheGalaxyTrio
2003-Jun-03, 01:55 PM
I will admit it "I loved it and I do not care who knows it" :D

Aside from the bad astronomy, the original mini-series wasn't *that* bad. I have read that Kenneth Johnson originally planned a WWII miniseries, but changed it to aliens to sell it to the network, hence the Nazi-ish aliens. That might be urban myth, though. Actually, WWII Germany taking over the US for natural resources (even potable water) makes much more sense, although I doubt he envisioned cannibalistic Nazis. :o

Johnson then went on to make the "Alien Nation" series (based on the film) which also had much merit to it. IMHO, Alien Nation was another SF series, like Stargate, where the series was far superior than the original film.

Previously he wrote and dircted episodes of "The Incredible Hulk" (another popular series which placed "you wouldn't like me when I'm angry" into the American lexicon) and "The Bionic Woman". If I'm not mistaken, he got his directorial start way back on "Adam-12." The guy has been around and is not dumb. He's also displayed some artistic fortitude (walking away from a large paycheck rather than let suits dictate policy), so he might come up with a good reimagining of V.

Rue
2003-Jun-03, 02:44 PM

This would be an excellent way of getting public interest back into space.

Do you remember James Michener's Space mini-series? Public sympathy over the botched Apollo 18 mission, pushes the US into a mars mission almost immediatly.

g99
2003-Jun-09, 06:47 PM
Guys Don't worry it just got worse.

Tell me what does this sound alot like?

From: here (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2003-06/09/14.00.tv)

"NBC Revisiting V

NBC has confirmed rumors that a new film based on the 1980s miniseries about alien invasion is in the works, Variety reported. The three-hour made-for-television movie, called V: The Second Generation, will be directed, written and produced by Kenneth Johnson, creator of the original series.

Johnson is talking to original stars Marc Singer, Robert Englund, Jane Badler and Faye Grant about reprising their roles, though no official casting decisions have been made, the trade reported. The Second Generation will be set 20 years after the original, with the alien Visitors now in control of much of the Earth, according to Johnson.

"The alien force is deeply entrenched, has turned many Earth people into followers and is sweeping them toward a dangerous new conquest," Johnson told the trade. "The Resistance seems to be fighting a losing battle when suddenly Earth gains a powerful and mysterious new ally."

While the movie is envisioned as a stand-alone project, future sequels are possible if ratings are high enough. If green-lighted, the project wouldn't be ready until fall 2004 at the earliest, the trade paper reported."

First Wave or Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict
:o :o

tracer
2003-Jun-09, 09:16 PM
They forgot to add the part about the cute robot and the world-saving little kid genius. :roll:

Waarthog
2003-Jun-09, 11:51 PM
They forgot to add the part about the cute robot and the world-saving little kid genius. :roll:

Hmm, cute little robot... Wasn't that from Buck Rodgers in the 25th (and a half :) ) Century?

world-saving little kid genius... Wasn't this from Galactica 1980? But then again, Orson Scott Card has made a mint with the same premise...

I never watched V the series long enough to know if these were real characters or not. My take on the whole thing even back then when I was in High School was to use the A-10 to dive bomb the ships (no weapons system to disrupt with a free fall iron bomb drop) and that if the aliens were truly as inept as depicted, CIA, MI-5, KGB would have eaten them alive.

TheGalaxyTrio
2003-Jun-10, 05:37 PM
Hmm, cute little robot... Wasn't that from Buck Rodgers in the 25th (and a half :) ) Century?

No. Twiki the robot was not "cute". Twiki the robot was the "robot character equivalent of an ice pick through one eye, out an ear drum and impaled right dead center of the naughty bits."

Maybe he meant the dog robot "Daggett" on Battlestar Galactica, which was also annoying, but tolerantly so as all it did was emit a raspy bark and wander around a bit- sort of like a Sony Aibo. I recall the name because I used to live on a Daggett Street.

gethen
2003-Jun-10, 09:44 PM
Did you say Marc Singer was gonna be back. Talk about your icepick in the eye. According to the newspaper story I read, the original series was "wildly popular." Which is, I guess, why it got cancelled.

TheGalaxyTrio
2003-Jun-11, 04:01 PM
The first miniseries was quite popular. It was OK despite the dubious reasons for the aliens coming to Earth (water+food). A simple "we're here because we need unskilled slaves for our thermostellar bomb manufacturing industry, and a place to put a weapons depot and deep strike base for Galactic Sector 12B-90/791X" reason would have worked better. Well, OK, maybe it's not that simple. Then you have the double whammy of an invading alien, and another powerful alien race out there somewhere that might eliminate the Earth (or take it over themselves) as a strategic move.

You could even include the "eat the humans" angle as a vindictive fetish on the alien's part. :evil:

Mmmmm.... alien fetishes...

tracer
2003-Jun-11, 07:32 PM
Maybe he meant the dog robot "Daggett" on Battlestar Galactica, which was also annoying, but tolerantly so as all it did was emit a raspy bark and wander around a bit- sort of like a Sony Aibo.
Actually, I was referring to a comment made by J. Michael Straczynski, head honcho of Babylon 5. He insisted that his series must have no cute robots or kids on it. (He later broke his no kids rule, but never stooped to the level of having a cute robot a la Twiki or 7-Zark-7 or Beba-2.)

And besides, "Dagget" wasn't the robot's name, it was the Galactica universe's word for "dog." The robot's name was "Muffet 2".

AstroSmurf
2003-Jun-12, 11:59 AM
Actually, I was referring to a comment made by J. Michael Straczynski, head honcho of Babylon 5. He insisted that his series must have no cute robots or kids on it. (He later broke his no kids rule, but never stooped to the level of having a cute robot a la Twiki or 7-Zark-7 or Beba-2.)
B5 had plenty of robots flying around... more like drones/remotes, actually. There were AIs, but those were more scary than cute. (Of course, nothing is as scary as when you combine the two - innocent but completely psycho.)

And yes, B5 had cute kids, but kept killing them off, which was more or less what JMS said he'd do. A B5 kid had slightly higher life expectancy than a redshirted ensign, but not by much.

informant
2003-Jun-12, 12:03 PM
Kinky... :D

TimH
2003-Jun-12, 04:54 PM
I mean, there are literally dozens of good, solid alien invasion stories to work with -- any of them could be done very well in a one-season miniseries, ala Fox's Twenty-Four:.

24 dealt with Alien invasion? I thought it was an assassian (season one) and a nuclear bomb (season 2)

I must have missed the invasion eposides