PDA

View Full Version : Officially sanctioned scientific predictions!

peteshimmon
2007-Apr-01, 11:44 AM
A committee of Scientists has announced new
policy regarding predictions in science that
turn out to be true. The success will be
recognised if the prediction has been
properly published in a recognised, refereed
journal! Then the Almighty will be informed
that grace may be exercised if so fated. Any
apparent triumphs outside this procedure will
be regarded as mischief from the alternative,
lower other world department and suppressed.

I think I read this somewhere:)

Michael Noonan
2007-Apr-01, 01:35 PM
I have written to a number of publications and apart from the auto reply received no other acknowledgement. Then if you read the notes from the editor you may find they do not publish any material they believe to be from crackpots.

I prefer to think of my self as a cracked pot as per the chinese fable, not of worth as a perfect container or as regular but as having a function of value all the same.

In this case predictive ideas may not ever make it to peer review in any journal of respect of any level. Ideas not astrological or of propaganda value to those who would seize on the more out of the square concepts of prediction will not receive a mention.

Cheers

farmerjumperdon
2007-Apr-01, 07:09 PM
If any one of them could ever stand up to scrutiny, or could show credibility in any way at all, people would treat them differently that they do crystal balls and other various parlor tricks.

Personally, I'd be amazed and very interested if something like HDD were shown to be valid. Think of the money to be made on the ponies.

Which, though not constituting and kind of proof that such things can not exist, provide an interesting angle. If a predictive system actually worked, gambling as we know it would be gone in a flash.

Maksutov
2007-Apr-01, 09:36 PM
[wdit]Personally, I'd be amazed and very interested if something like HDD were shown to be valid....That would be remarkable. It would lead to all sorts of unexpected stuff.

For instance, one would anticipate the development of technology which slices bread into individual pieces, places them in a plastic bag, and then seals the bag using a twist tie.

Once HDD is shown to be valid, a perpetual motion machine would be, how would one say it, a well-Designed, perfectly Planned, Platonic piece of cake.

Maksutov
2007-Apr-01, 09:39 PM
I have written to a number of publications and apart from the auto reply received no other acknowledgement. Then if you read the notes from the editor you may find they do not publish any material they believe to be from crackpots.

I prefer to think of my self as a cracked pot as per the chinese fable, not of worth as a perfect container or as regular but as having a function of value all the same.

In this case predictive ideas may not ever make it to peer review in any journal of respect of any level. Ideas not astrological or of propaganda value to those who would seize on the more out of the square concepts of prediction will not receive a mention.

CheersMaybe they expected some kind of objective evidence that supported what you purported?

Bull & Finch.

sarongsong
2007-Apr-01, 09:46 PM
http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon7.gif
June 30, 1986
...A distinguished research group at the University of Colorado went public with an earthquake prediction for Adak Island in the Aleutians last year. The prediction, based on solid geophysical data, was that a major earthquake would occur near Adak before the end of October 1985. When it didn't materialize, the scientists gracefully admitted that it had been a "failed prediction." But six months later, on May 7, 1986, a magnitude 7.7 earthquake did occur at precisely the location they had predicted. That's pretty good for a field in which there are no absolutes.
The sciences are littered with failed predictions, yet are punctuated with equally many good ones...Edmund Halley's predicted 76-year return of "the" comet...existence of the planet Neptune was predicted by Urbain Leverrier...helical structure of the DNA molecule was discovered because of predictions...
University of Alaska (http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF7/775.html)