PDA

View Full Version : King Bloop Zod of Mars speaks to the WHite House

aporetic_r
2003-Jun-03, 04:02 PM
I don't know where to post this, so it's going here. Enjoy:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A5171-2003Jun2.html

Apparently the White House has been having semi-formal web chats, and one day King Bloop Zod of Mars decided to make himself known to us.

Aporetic
www.polisci.wisc.edu/~rdparrish

tracer
2003-Jun-03, 06:04 PM
Note: If you've never been to washingtonpost.com, the above link will require you to enter your birth year, gender, and ZIP code before you can read the article.

g99
2003-Jun-03, 06:56 PM
hah! thats great. :-)

I do have something to say about it politically, but that is for a different board.

tracer
2003-Jun-03, 07:22 PM
From the Washington Post article linked to in the OP:

King from Mars writes:

Greetings Mr. Secretary. Although there are no humans on Mars at present, I would like to invite the human race to consider Mars as an ideal location for a vacation home or just a place to get away from it all. Would you consider offering incentives to those who might want to build a home on Mars? I'll tell you, it is a beautiful place and oh, let me tell you, there is nothing like Autumn on Mars. And please don't tell me that you are looking at Venus first. Kindly,

King Bloop Zod, Mars
"Autumn on Mars"?!?

Now, that's bad astronomy! Mars has a tilted axis of rotation, just like the Earth does. Autumn north of the Martian tropic zone will be Spring south of the Martian tropic zone. And, of course, the Martian tropic zone itself won't experience "seasons" any more than the Earth's tropic zone has seasons.

(Of course, Mars does have a much more eccentric orbit than Earth does, but "close to aphelion" is not the same thing as "autumn"!)

Hmph! Reminds me of those old Flash Gordon comics that began with, "That morning, it was raining on planet Mongo."

aporetic_r
2003-Jun-03, 07:44 PM
Note: If you've never been to washingtonpost.com, the above link will require you to enter your birth year, gender, and ZIP code before you can read the article.

Or totally fake versions of them.

Aporetic
www.polisci.wisc.edu/~rdparrish