PDA

View Full Version : How to make XP auto-login?

Serenitude
2007-Apr-05, 06:22 AM
I'm sure there's a way to do this, but I can't seem to find how, fumbling through menus (meni? :razz: ). My wife and I just use the one login - constantly changing desktop backgrounds (her to Eddie Vedder, me to the Houston Texans) is about the only place we bump heads.

Anyhoo. How do you go about setting things up so that Windows automatically boots into the one account, instead of going to the "Welcome Screen" and having to click from there. No, it's not system critical, merely an annoyance, but still. It'd be nice to have it go from "power on" to desktop automatically.

Thanks in advance for any tips :)

Occam
2007-Apr-05, 06:27 AM
Hi there - try this...

Click [Start] [Run] and type control userpasswords2
Click [OK]
The [User Accounts] Property Sheet displays.
On [Users] tab, clear the [Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer] check box.
Click [Apply].
Enter a user name and password that should be used to logon automatically in the dialog box that appears.
Click [OK].
Go to [Control Panel] [User Accounts] [Change the Way Users Log On and Off].
Uncheck [Use the Welcome Screen] and [Use Fast User Switching]

Serenitude
2007-Apr-05, 06:29 AM
I tried unchecking Use Welcome Screen and Use Fast User Switching already, but instead it just takes me to a prompt that look like the one from Win2K, and I still have to click and log-in :-(

Occam
2007-Apr-05, 06:45 AM
Oops - hold on, will be back in a moment with the proper procedure. Memory going down the tubes

Serenitude
2007-Apr-05, 06:54 AM
:lol: Thanks mate. You know, they say memory is the first thing that goes with old age.

I don't remember what the other two are.

Occam
2007-Apr-05, 06:58 AM
Okeydokey, if you just have the one account and password...

Start>Settings>Control Panel
User Accounts
Click on the user account
Click on Change Password
delete whatever password you have so that the fields are blank and when you've done that click "create password" and NO to "Do you want to make your files and folders private?"

Go back to "Change the way users log on or off" and recheck those two boxes again

Now when you re-start it should bypass the log-in.

Good luck. Windows is your friend :)

Serenitude
2007-Apr-05, 07:02 AM
Thanks mate. I appreciate your diligence ;)

please
2007-Apr-05, 07:07 AM
you mean this (http://www.theeldergeek.com/unattended_logon.htm)?

Occam
2007-Apr-05, 07:12 AM
you mean this (http://www.theeldergeek.com/unattended_logon.htm)?
No, I supplied that but it doesn't give the desired effect in all cases.

Nicolas
2007-Apr-05, 07:25 AM
My windows logs me on automatically. Handy, though sometimes fights a bit with other programs (antivirus starting up...). That's all sorted out now, just my office taskbar that refuses to cleanly autoload (1 million dollars for the guy who can fix that without formatting the disk ;) )

Remember though, that Windows Xp still gives you 3 [three] [two more than one] accounts.

"Administrator"
"All users"
"Serenitude and Mrs"

Now in itself, that would be quite OK, you don't really encounter the first two if you give your account admin rights. BUT. When you install something, or put something on the desktop, you don't know whether the file or startup folder will be placed in "Serenitude and Mrs\desktop", "All Users\desktop", or "Administrator\desktop".

So every now and then, I go and look them up, and place everything in my own folder.

Xp and just one user simply doesn't work, they've made it too social. Don't ask me why, I mean nerds <=> social? ;)

please
2007-Apr-05, 07:36 AM
you can kill 3rd account and login as admin all the time (though not the best thing to do), but hardly you can ever get rid of 2nd folder

Tog
2007-Apr-05, 07:38 AM
I always just use the default admin user and never do anything with the others. I didn't ever get a log in screen until I tried to set up the GF with her own account and wall paper and all her silly programs (pffft Slingo) on the desktop. It's easier to just deal with them on mine than it was to set up a new user with everything we both used.

tony873004
2007-Apr-05, 07:44 AM
I'll have to try these thing too. To me, this is one of the dumbest parts of Windows... pause during boot-up to ask a question that has only 1 answer.

Tog
2007-Apr-05, 07:59 AM
We used to use a program where I work that would pop up a box that told you there were no options to select for this report, and to click OK to continue. At another point in the audit, it would pop up a window saying "Process complete, press any key" with Yes and No buttons. You had to click one of them, presing any key didn't work.

Roy Batty
2007-Apr-05, 10:40 AM
Remember though, that Windows Xp still gives you 3 [three] [two more than one] accounts.

"Administrator"
"All users"
"Serenitude and Mrs"

Now in itself, that would be quite OK, you don't really encounter the first two if you give your account admin rights. BUT. When you install something, or put something on the desktop, you don't know whether the file or startup folder will be placed in "Serenitude and Mrs\desktop", "All Users\desktop", or "Administrator\desktop".

So every now and then, I go and look them up, and place everything in my own folder.

Xp and just one user simply doesn't work, they've made it too social. Don't ask me why, I mean nerds <=> social? ;)

On mine (home edition), I deleted all but Admin & Guest which have to remain, then simply turned off Guest. Wouldn't that make things simpler for you? (unless you want an account without admin privileges of course).

Nicolas
2007-Apr-05, 10:45 AM
If I could manage to do that, it would.

Roy Batty
2007-Apr-05, 11:24 AM
Oh, I don't know what's stopping it then. I merely did it via 'User Accounts' in the Control Panel :think:

Nicolas
2007-Apr-05, 01:35 PM
Hm, I'd have to check that out. It didn't work for me last time, or it did but it didn't autoboot or something like that.

Of course, I'd have to move all my files to admin then, or I'd lose them when deleting my account.

snarkophilus
2007-Apr-05, 06:27 PM
I followed Occam's original instructions on xp64, and it worked. Ah, bliss... no silly login screen.

tony873004
2007-Apr-06, 08:54 PM
HELP!!

I followed the instructions followed in the link given by "Please". Now I can not log into my computer at all.

I get a window called "Log On to Windows". Username is filled for me with Administrator. It wants a password. I've never had a password before. I don't know what it is.

So I booted in SAFE MODE and made up a password. Now it tells me that I can not log on because of an account restriction.

How can I log on?

tony873004
2007-Apr-06, 09:35 PM
OK, I was able to undo everything I did using Safe Mode. I can log in to my computer again. But I'm back to square 1, where it pauses in the middle of the bootup process so I can select my 1 option.

It seems every 2 weeks Microsoft is uploading an update to my computer. You figure they'd be able to address something as stupid as this.

Occam
2007-Apr-07, 11:45 AM
Tony, please advise (by PM if you like) what OS you have. Is it XP home or Professional? Also do you have service pack 2?

Ps bear in mind I am on the other side of the world and probably asleep when you post :)

In the meantime, either try the instructions in post #6 above or...
Obtain and install the Windows XP version of TweakUI here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
Open TweakUI (it's in Start -> Programs -> Powertoys for Windows XP).
Expand the Logon branch, and click Autologon.
Turn on the Log on automatically at system startup option, type your username and password, and click Ok.