PDA

View Full Version : Nominations for Best Artificial Intelligence Character

Lord Jubjub
2007-Apr-06, 04:42 AM
As promised, another round of polls. I've been mulling over the rules and I think these are properly wide enough to catch all of the good ones.

1. Character must be a construct, not a member of an 'evolved' intelligence.
2. Character must have a distinct personality and character in the story line(s). Star Trek's ship computer is NOT eligible (not to exclude all shipwide computers, though).
3. A character can only be nominated once, even if it appears in multiple retellings and adaptations.

All genres eligible with the possible exception of a single short story (anthologies of short stories are acceptable). This means that any AI from the movies, TV, novels, series of novels are all acceptable. When the final list is compiled, the nomination will include the seminal work that it appears in.

Lord Jubjub
2007-Apr-06, 04:43 AM
I'll use my first nomination as an example of how a nomination will appear:

Marvin from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Apr-06, 05:13 AM
Data from startrek of course

Occam
2007-Apr-06, 06:09 AM
Isaac Asimov's Bicentennial Man, Andrew
HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey
Kryten from Red Dwarf

ciderman
2007-Apr-06, 11:16 AM
Surely Holly(& scutters!) from Red Dwarf?
Orac & Zen (think there was something creepy called Slave later on also) from Blake's 7.
Twiki from Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.
& K9 from Dr Who.

Oh, Talkie Toaster from Red dwarf has got to be a contender!

Edit: & The original?
Robby from Forbidden Planet.

HenrikOlsen
2007-Apr-06, 01:20 PM
The False Maria from Metropolis

NorthGuy
2007-Apr-06, 01:32 PM
R2D2 and C3PO of course.

NorthGuy
2007-Apr-06, 01:42 PM
Oh yeah, and how about the Terminators: Ah-nold the T800 and Robert Patrick the T1000.

I've never seen the 3rd sequel.

Lord Jubjub
2007-Apr-06, 07:08 PM
Let me put up one extra clarification. A human intelligence transported to an artificial construct is NOT eligible.

papageno
2007-Apr-06, 07:38 PM
Deep Thought, the second most powerful computer in the pan-dimensional Universe, from The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Paul Beardsley
2007-Apr-06, 07:39 PM
Tinribs from the Tinribs series in Viz comic.

Are negative nominations allowed? If so, I'd go for everyone in AI simply because I hated the film so much.

eburacum45
2007-Apr-06, 07:44 PM
I don't expect him to win, but I have fond memories of this chap;
Robert the Robot (http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4961/robertvf2.jpg) from Fireball XL5...
Like the blow-up automatic pilot in the movie Airplane! Robert (not Robbie!) was an automatic pilot who actually took up one of the valuable seats on the flight deck.

selden
2007-Apr-06, 09:02 PM
Are negative nominations allowed? If so, I'd go for everyone in AI simply because I hated the film so much.

:P
;)

Just for that...

David from AI
Gigolo Joe from AI

Forskern
2007-Apr-06, 09:11 PM
Continuity, from Gibson's books (the merged Neuromancer and Wintermute).

selden
2007-Apr-06, 09:11 PM
What about androids (biological constructs)?

e.g.
Roy Batty from Blade Runner

Definitely artificial and certainly intelligent.

Alasdhair
2007-Apr-06, 09:24 PM
Deep Thought, the second most powerful computer in the pan-dimensional Universe, from The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

The Earth; the first most powerful computer in the pan-dimensional Universe, ditto

Antice
2007-Apr-06, 09:37 PM
The Harlie Unit of the LS-1187 in David Gerrold's Star Wolf Series.
I Just love AI's that try themselves at human ethics.

Lord Jubjub
2007-Apr-06, 10:33 PM
Talkie Toaster didn't have enough of a role, unfortunately.
Biological constructs are eligible.
The Earth from HHGTTG isn't presented with a personality.

I know Andromeda is not well-liked here but I did like the Andromeda Ascendant (Rommie).

Van Rijn
2007-Apr-06, 10:45 PM
As promised, another round of polls. I've been mulling over the rules and I think these are properly wide enough to catch all of the good ones.

1. Character must be a construct, not a member of an 'evolved' intelligence.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Would Mike from Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress count, because while he was constructed, he developed sentience on his own? The same is true of Colossus of The Forbin Project. Both are interesting AI characters, though.

If they are allowed, I'd nominate both. Colossus was a nasty AI, but a significant one.

Also:

The robot from Lost In Space (he didn't have a name).

R. Daneel Olivaw from various Asimov novels.

R. Dorothy Wayneright from Big O. (One of the more interesting depictions of a robot in anime).

mike alexander
2007-Apr-06, 11:02 PM
Stephen Byerly, who appeared in Asimov's stories "Evidence" and "The Evitable Conflict". Who may or may not have been an artificial intelligence.

TrAI
2007-Apr-06, 11:27 PM
All genres exept single short stories.. Hmmm...

I would like to suggest SHODAN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHODAN) from the System Shock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Shock) series(Computer games is a genre too, is it not?).

For some reason SHODAN is one of the first AIs I recall when the subject comes up...

captain swoop
2007-Apr-06, 11:43 PM
Talkie Toaster didn't have enough of a role?
Pha! he was in 2 different seasons!

I nominate Talkie toaster and 'Eddie' the Shipboard computer from HHG.

And also Durandal from the Marathon games on the mac

Delvo
2007-Apr-06, 11:52 PM
What, no KITT? :eek:

novaderrik
2007-Apr-07, 02:42 AM
Bender from Futurama..

yuzuha
2007-Apr-07, 04:34 AM
Ash from Alien

Count Zero
2007-Apr-07, 06:12 AM
Bishop, from Aliens
Hymie, from Get Smart
Maggie, from Amy Thompson's Virtual Girl
Friday (a.k.a. Marjorie Baldwin) from Heinlein's Friday

Star Trek, of course, had many interesting AIs:
Lore, from Star Trek: The Next Generation (various episodes)
Lal, from Star Trek: The Next Generation "The Offspring"
V'Ger, from Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Nomad, from Star Trek "The Changeling"
Ruk, from Star Trek "What are Little Girls Made of?"
Rayna Kapec, from Star Trek "Requiem for Methuselah"
M-5, from Star Trek "The Ultimate Computer"
Norman, from Star Trek "I, Mudd"
and, of course,
Stella Mudd, from Star Trek "I, Mudd"

agingjb
2007-Apr-07, 06:38 AM
Gort, from The Day the Earth Stood Still.

MG1962A
2007-Apr-07, 08:22 AM
The three worker robots from Silent Running. Any robot capable of cheating at cards has got to have something go him.

And I am shocked HAL from 2001 has not got a run yet????????

Count Zero
2007-Apr-07, 08:54 AM
And I am shocked HAL from 2001 has not got a run yet????????

Post #4 dude.

clop
2007-Apr-07, 08:55 AM
Number Five from Short Circuit

parallaxicality
2007-Apr-07, 09:19 AM
Hmmm. All these Star Trek references and no one's mentioned "The Doctor" from Voyager.

And how could anyone forget Max Headroom?

My favorite AIs were Wintermute and Neuromancer from Neuromancer.

And Skynet, because I like Oedipal subtexts.

djellison
2007-Apr-07, 02:29 PM
Marvin from HGTTG - utterly brilliant.

Doug

Dave Mitsky
2007-Apr-07, 02:33 PM
Sonny from I, Robot

Zero from the original Rollerball

Dave Mitsky

HenrikOlsen
2007-Apr-07, 02:50 PM
Friday (a.k.a. Marjorie Baldwin) from Heinlein's Friday
Friday was genetically enhanced, not artificial, she got her intelligence the same way all humans do, she just had more of it.

Bearded One
2007-Apr-07, 03:50 PM
If books are allowed there's ZORAC and VISAR from the James P. Hogan's Giant's series. ZORAC was my kind of ship's computer, very witty and a good sense of humor (humans have brain problems :razz: ).

eburacum45
2007-Apr-07, 03:57 PM
Number Five from Short Circuit

"input, input"

eburacum45
2007-Apr-07, 04:00 PM
I think the Doctor from Voyager ('the emergency medical hologram' ) was a 'virtual' rather than an AI; that is, he was copied from an original template which was a human doctor, although he was only a partial copy.

Lord Jubjub
2007-Apr-07, 07:06 PM
The Doctor from Voyager presents a problem. As originally designed, his personality was a copy of a specific human, but worked from programmed scripts. He developed (not evolved) into a more general A.I. from his experience.

Along the same lines and to answer an earlier question, Mike from The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is a valid nomination because it developed intelligence on its own. I'll give the Doctor a pass because he is a construct and his intelligence is his own doing.

I now have a list of 53 names. I think it would be fair, since I'm not counting single short stories, that I also not count single TV episodes. If a character appears across multiple episodes than I will accept it. That puts in Lore and Talky Toaster. Movies have to be considered the equivalent of novels or multiple TV episodes.

I'll have to look it up in the books, but was Sonny an Asimov character?

TrAI
2007-Apr-07, 07:21 PM
Hmmm. All these Star Trek references and no one's mentioned "The Doctor" from Voyager.

And how could anyone forget Max Headroom?

My favorite AIs were Wintermute and Neuromancer from Neuromancer.

And Skynet, because I like Oedipal subtexts.

I think the Doctor from Voyager ('the emergency medical hologram' ) was a 'virtual' rather than an AI; that is, he was copied from an original template which was a human doctor, although he was only a partial copy.

I am not sure about the Doctor, but Max Headroom was copied from that reporter guy. Of course, the question is if an uploaded mind is an AI or not...

Puffin
2007-Apr-07, 07:31 PM
If computer games are allowed:

Daedalus from Deus Ex. Not a robot, not a computer, just an AI. He can exist on any computer connected to the internet...

Lord Jubjub
2007-Apr-07, 09:59 PM
I've been thinking about the format. The first round will have the nominations grouped according to type:

mobile (robots, androids and small movable machines)
ship (running a vehicle large enough to hold people)
mainframes (any that don't fit the above two)

Daedalus will be placed in the mainframe category. Some of the AIs that have been nominated, I have not heard of. I would appreciate if you would categorise any nominations.

papageno
2007-Apr-07, 10:15 PM
Along the same lines and to answer an earlier question, Mike from The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is a valid nomination because it developed intelligence on its own. I'll give the Doctor a pass because he is a construct and his intelligence is his own doing.

Daedalus from Deus Ex. Not a robot, not a computer, just an AI. He can exist on any computer connected to the internet...

How about the Puppet Master from Ghost in the Shell (movie, rather than comic)?

Bearded One
2007-Apr-07, 10:16 PM
I suspect the votes will be heavily slanted towards TV/Film AIs. Books don't get the same coverage and are likely to fall behind. Perhaps this should be two different polls? One for TV/Film and one for written books. Those that are in both categories, such as HAL from 2001 and 2010 would default to the film category.

HenrikOlsen
2007-Apr-07, 10:41 PM
Frost from Zelazny's "For A Breath I Tarry"

Gillianren
2007-Apr-07, 11:45 PM
Would Ron Headrest from Doonesbury count?

Count Zero
2007-Apr-08, 12:39 AM
Friday was genetically enhanced, not artificial, she got her intelligence the same way all humans do, she just had more of it.

Point taken (although she did refer to herself as an "artificial person").

I withdraw the nomination.

SkepticJ
2007-Apr-08, 07:28 PM
Cortana, from the Halo video games.

Roy Batty
2007-Apr-10, 01:42 PM
Proteus in Demon Seed.
The ships & drones in Iain M. Bank's Culture novels.

parallaxicality
2007-Apr-11, 04:41 PM
It's a shame short stories are out. I would love to have nominated Cutie from I, Robot; only Isaac Asimov could have come up with a creature who, using perfect logic and reason, determined that a power generator was in fact God.

And no Sonny was not an Asimov character- Asimov probably would have died watching that movie if he wasn't dead to begin with.

Daneel has already been mentioned, but if I were to include another big Asimov bot it would have to be Giskard Raventlov.

mike alexander
2007-Apr-11, 10:52 PM
Oh, and Flowers from Zelazny's Roadmarks.

torque of the town
2007-Apr-12, 08:42 AM
Metal Mickey:eek:

please
2007-Apr-12, 12:12 PM
Did anyone suggested R2D2 yet? Generally, starwar droids AI is almost unique in the sense that it does not try to take over the universe and kill humans, they are rather nice and helpful fellows (that was so, of course, before they made I-III episodes).

torque of the town
2007-Apr-13, 09:34 AM
The three worker robots from Silent Running. Any robot capable of cheating at cards has got to have something go him.

Named after Donald Ducks nephews If I remember right:think:

Roy Batty
2007-Apr-13, 11:13 AM
Twiki from Buck Rogers has already been mentioned so I'll throw in Dr Theopolis as well (around his neck:)).

Oh, and the android Rem, as played by Donald Moffat in the TV series of Logan's Run.

Also Nell, the ship in Battle Beyond the Stars.

Ok I better stop now :D

nomuse
2007-Apr-17, 05:54 PM
Best artificial intelligence committed to film? Colossus. Monumentally uninterested in becoming human, completely in control of its situation, remorselessly logical.

And has anyone mentioned The Creature(s) created by various scions of the Frankenstein family (it's pronounced "Fronk-en-STEEN")? Biologicals count, after all.

If I could venture into web comics, my favorite would have to be Florence. What? She's an engineer! A case could also be made that the history of a certain carbo-silicate amorph also qualifies him as a constructed non-human intelligence.

Fiction there are so many memorable ones, and a few (like James Hogan's "Spartacus") that are more than a human character actor in a metal skin. I'm tempted to go big, however (though not as big as Marvin's brain) and nominate Dahak. Dahak, like the rather more svelte "Rommie," is best described as having "The AI of a warship" -- an admirable attitude that can also be a lot of fun to watch in action.

parallaxicality
2007-Apr-17, 06:18 PM
It's complete crap, but someone should mention Proteus from Demon Seed.

Matherly
2007-Apr-17, 07:10 PM
And has anyone mentioned The Creature(s) created by various scions of the Frankenstein family (it's pronounced "Fronk-en-STEEN")? Biologicals count, after all.

I don't think that should count. The "life" may have been artifical, but the brain (and the intelligence that goes with it) were created the normal, squishy, way.

(Even that 'Abby' person... I believe it was 'Abby Normal')

HenrikOlsen
2007-Apr-17, 08:48 PM
If I could venture into web comics, my favorite would have to be Florence. What? She's an engineer!
I've contacted robots who have spoken to her and obtained the proper greeting ritual. DOGGY! (http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff600/fv00548.htm)

note for people who don't know Florence, she's not (http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff600/fv00562.htm) a dog:)

Roy Batty
2007-Apr-17, 10:27 PM
It's complete crap, but someone should mention Proteus from Demon Seed.

See post 48, the one just before your previous before last. And I disagree with it being complete crap:exclaim:
Me, Robert Vaughan & a weird dodecahedron thingy are totally going to get medieval on your *$$ now :);)

Van Rijn
2007-Apr-17, 10:32 PM
I've contacted robots who have spoken to her and obtained the proper greeting ritual. DOGGY! (http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff600/fv00548.htm)

note for people who don't know Florence, she's not (http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff600/fv00562.htm) a dog:)

Also, Florence is purely biological, a genetically engineered being based on canines. She isn't a computer or a robot, though she does work with robots.

BigDon
2007-Apr-18, 08:47 AM
All the good ones are taken.

Oh wait! Oh how could I forget! Keith Laumer's Bolos!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolo_(tank)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolo_Marks_technical_data#Mark_XX.2FB_.28Tremendou s.29

There was a different one in each story but they were all cool! Often more human than human.

The bittersweet story, A Weapon of War always choked me up.

I thought of them as being like Asimov's robots, only with the ability to blow the living crap out of the bad guys. Always thought they could make a good stand against Fred Saberhagen's Berserkers as they had a lot more on the ball, especially the later models

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserker_%28Saberhagen%29

Roving Philosopher
2007-Apr-18, 06:37 PM
Agent Smith, from The Matrix

BigDon
2007-Apr-18, 07:00 PM
Agent Smith, from The Matrix

Good one Rove.

Donnie B.
2007-Apr-18, 08:59 PM
Albert, from Fred Pohl's Gateway novels.

Tensor
2007-Apr-20, 06:13 PM
Minerva/Athena from Heinlein's later works. I don't think that the two should be considered seperately. Also Dora, starting with "Time enough for Love"

nomuse
2007-Apr-20, 06:45 PM
Whoah. If bolos are on....

How could we forget _Berserkers_?

Lord Jubjub
2007-Apr-22, 03:22 AM
Just read up on Bolos. . .and I think their personality is not distinctive enough within any story. Normally, I take all comers, but I think this list might need a bit of pruning. . .

Doodler
2007-Apr-22, 03:30 PM
The Merovingian from the Matrix movies.

The man had style. Pompous ***, but stylish.

Could also throw in the Oracle and the Architect.

Roy Batty
2007-Apr-23, 08:50 AM
How could I forget this one?:doh:- Bomb No. 20 in Dark Star :)

parallaxicality
2007-Apr-23, 10:45 AM
Whatever happened to the dystopia noms?

Solfe
2007-Apr-24, 01:24 AM
Got a couple of really (word of your choice) ones:
MCP (From Tron)
V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Black Hole)
and The Libraries and NISS machine from the David Brin books.

If I can propose a real world system, I would like to nominate my first HP Pavilion which was used to alpha and beta test so much software, it has some real personality.
It still boots even though it has serious issues with .msi files which cannot be fixed because the disk drive, the network card and cd rom drive have all mysteriously died.
Oddly enough, the USB ports work, but since this machine was made for Windows 95, it cannot be used on boot up.

Lord Jubjub
2007-Apr-24, 02:29 AM
The dystopia noms were so varied that I decided to put them aside and ask for a more narrow range. There will be several different contests for that subject.

This thread keeps on going, so I'm not closing the nominations until everyone is satisfied.

Van Rijn
2007-Apr-24, 02:40 AM
Oh! I don't know how many will remember this, but Questor from the Questor Tapes. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070585/) This was a Roddenberry pilot, and Questor was a conceptual prototype for Data, though the story was much different. Like Data, Questor didn't understand human emotion, and there is great similarity in the way they were portrayed.

Lord Jubjub
2007-Apr-24, 03:32 AM
I think Agent Smith will be the only intelligence from the Matrix to be in the poll. Considering the whole series dealt with the meld of artificial and natural, Smtih was the major AI character from the first movie. With the list hovering around 70 entries, I am going to have to do some serious research to properly present this list.

BTW, keep the suggestions coming.

granolaeater
2007-Apr-24, 08:53 AM
GOD (general operational device) from Stanislav Lems Fiasco, a computer of the final generation with the highest physical possible computational capacity, but still unable to think outside of the box of his human inventors, when it tries to understand an alien inelligence.

Disinfo Agent
2007-Apr-24, 12:53 PM
GOD (general operational device) from Stanislav Lems Fiasco, a computer of the final generation with the highest physical possible computational capacity, but still unable to think outside of the box of his human inventors, when it tries to understand an alien inelligence.That's an interesting interpretation. I had never thought of it that way. Good book.

Roy Batty
2007-Apr-24, 02:05 PM
The higher replicators in Stargate SG1.
The silicate A.I.s in Space Above & Beyond.

stutefish
2007-Apr-26, 09:33 PM
Aveeare, the robot from Snarfquest.

TrAI
2007-Apr-26, 10:48 PM
Seems to me that the poll is about spesific AI characters, so nominating entire species/series of AIs like Replicators, Bolos, Berserkers and so on would not really be relevant...

I started thinking though, where does the limit between AI and non-AI go... I remember the episode of SG-1 called "Learning Curve" where the girl Merrin teaches Sam about naquada reactor technology.

Merrin's body was human, but had been implanted with nanites that seems to have taken over all the higher functions of the brain, leaving these undeveloped. After the nanites were removed, it was no longer Merrin(people all to often equate the physical body with the person, so they still called it Merrin, I think). Anyway the question is: was Merrin an AI? it wasn't a case of a natural intelligence converted to run on an artificial substrate, as it seems she was implanted before any personality was formed...

PhantomWolf
2007-Apr-26, 11:32 PM
HK-47 told me to add him and that everyone had to vote for him or else he'd start wiping out the meatba... um humans on Earth. (for those that don't know, HK is an assassin robot found in from SW games KotoR and SWG.)

Did I miss seeing a nomination for the Cylons from the new BSG?

Also Moya from Farscape for the ships category.

Lord Jubjub
2007-Apr-30, 02:48 AM
OK, I'll give this a bump for the sake of any more suggestions. I need to put down the last few nominations and then prune the list. My emphasis had been toward individual characters and I think I will keep that bias. That will likely mean that not all of nominations in this thread will appear in the poll--or they may appear in a different way.

I am concerned that written works will not be as widely recognized as visual works. I will try to arrange the poll to avoid this problem.

So, any more ideas?

Count Zero
2007-Apr-30, 03:10 AM
It may be late, but I'd like to see "seconds" to nominations, or something like that. What we have here does not look like a list of the Best Artificial Intelligence Characters (as stated in the subject line), but rather a list of every AI anyone could think of. I mean, come on, V.I.N.C.E.N.T.??!! :D

Of course, I am as guilty of this as anyone. Norman was a bore and Ruk was a stereotype, but I will stand by many of my nominations because of their emotional resonance.

SkepticJ
2007-Apr-30, 04:07 AM
Melfina, from Outlaw Star.

publiusr
2007-Apr-30, 07:35 PM
R. Daneel Olivaw from various Asimov novels.

R. Dorothy Wayneright from Big O. (One of the more interesting depictions of a robot in anime).

Agrees.

Alex W.
2007-May-01, 09:53 PM
I've got a fondness for the exchanges between the ships' AIs in Excession by Iain M. Banks. To a certain extent they're human personalities, but the scales over which they operate and the sort of power they represent changes them drastically. Also, while not a particularly intelligent character, D0g from Half-Life 2 has a certain charisma.

Props to the guy who nominated Shodan, though. Especially in her early-in-the-game guise.

ASEI
2007-May-01, 11:26 PM
I second R2D2. He's an actual AI/robot that makes sense as something people would build. He's built to do maintenence work in hostile environments in an around starships, talks to other computers directly, ect. Seems to me to be a lot more logical than your typical Robot Overlord of Doooom (TM). And he takes no guff from "mindless philosophers".

(PS, is it okay to not consider the latest three films as part of the series?)

Count Zero
2007-May-02, 01:00 AM
(PS, is it okay to not consider the latest three films as part of the series?)

Yes. It may be part of an alternate universe where R2D2 flies. :rolleyes:

Grand Admiral Thrawn
2007-May-02, 04:43 AM
1. R2-D2: This droid is the best AI ever created! This little droid has saved over a million of peoples lives, caused great damage to evil parties, funnier than a comedian droid, smarter than a "smart" AI, and R2-D2 has seen more worlds than any being, droid, or creature has ever seen.

2. Guri (Female): This HRD (Human Replica Droid) is a virtually indestructable assassin, mastermind, aid, bodygaurd, and pilot. All in one. Only a jedi (or sith) could defeat her in hand-to-hand combat. And, only a master strategists could out smart Guri. (9 million creds to build)

3. IG-88 A: Only the most evil assassin droid that could think on it's own! The evil droid took over the Second Death Star (about to destroy all organic being) before an X-wing pilot shot the Death Satr's main reactor that blew the IG-88/Death Star to kindom come!

4. 4-Lom: A protocol droid that started to steal and think on it's own. Started to work with Zuckuss as a Bounty Hunter.

5. MD-5: An evil Imperial droid. Could build anything or fix anything (for evil).

6. Cortana (from Halo): A "smart" AI (one of the smartest AIs that UNSC has of course). Helped Spartan John 117 in alot of tight spots.

7. C3-PO: A protocol droid that can speak over 6 million forms of communication. This droid caused more problems than it fixed, but it has also save many lives and aided many "masters". The droid has always found a way to get itself into trouble, but it ends up saving the day (and blaming R2).

Doodler
2007-May-02, 09:02 PM
HK-47 told me to add him and that everyone had to vote for him or else he'd start wiping out the meatba... um humans on Earth. (for those that don't know, HK is an assassin robot found in from SW games KotoR and SWG.)

Did I miss seeing a nomination for the Cylons from the new BSG?

Also Moya from Farscape for the ships category.

Moya and Talyn would be pushing a bit, since they're actually organisms as opposed to technological constructs.

mr obvious
2007-May-02, 11:40 PM
Not that these are what I consider best, but they don't appear to be mentioned in this thread (apologies if I missed it) so I thought I'd throw them out there for consideration.

Maximillian from "Black Hole" Not chatty.
HK-whatever from Knights of the Old Republic game. Sarcastic guy.
D.A.R.Y.L. from the movie of the same name. Chewing gum> camera.
WOPR from Wargames. "How about a nice game of chess?"

Gillianren
2007-May-03, 06:06 AM
Oh, how could I have forgotten D.A.R.Y.L.? Also the Max from Flight of the Navigator, as voiced by Paul Reubens?

Lord Jubjub
2007-May-03, 10:26 PM
I was wondering whether Wargames would get nominated. It's been too long since I've seen that movie to recall what kind of computer was in charge.

Forskern
2007-May-04, 01:09 PM
The wargames computer doesn't seem sentient to me, merely extremely advanced and hollywoodesque. I'm assuming we're talking about the "Hello, Joshua."-thingy? :)

parallaxicality
2007-May-04, 05:57 PM
"Greetings Professor Falken".

"A strange game; the only winning move is not to play."

I think Joshua was a rudimentary intelligence; certainly farther along than anything we have now, but not capable of outgrowing its programming.

Can I use this opportunity to make a belated addition to the Dystopia list?

Flying philosophers' hell Laputa from Gulliver's Travels.

mr obvious
2007-May-05, 07:19 PM
I see that HK-47 had been suggested by Phantomwolf, so I apologize for the duplicate.

By the way, even if you don't want entire species of AIs to be included, how about members of AI species, if they have independent personalities? I'm referring to the Transformers, who could also be arguably non-constructs (I'm not up on their origin) but perhaps people like individual members and would like to nominate them?

PhantomWolf
2007-May-07, 03:55 AM
I see that HK-47 had been suggested by Phantomwolf, so I apologize for the duplicate.

That's alright Meatba... ah I mean fellow human.:shifty: Hmmm, now where as those architects who obviously did not install any blasters on this computer...

SkepticJ
2007-May-07, 02:19 PM
Professor James Moriarty, holodeck version, on Star Trek: TNG.

Mellow
2007-May-08, 10:27 AM
I go with Roy's "Bomb 20 from Dark Star"

Maksutov
2007-May-08, 10:42 AM
Bruce Willis.

Gillianren
2007-May-08, 07:57 PM
Bruce Willis.

No, Mak, intelligence.

Maksutov
2007-May-09, 02:02 AM
No, Mak, intelligence.Sorry, somehow when reading the thread title I just skipped from the fourth word to the sixth.

selden
2007-May-09, 02:37 PM
Vox -- the library in the 2002 movie version of "The Time Machine"

Mellow
2007-May-09, 04:12 PM
Did anyone mention "The Lawnmower Man"? No? Of course not!

Gillianren
2007-May-09, 08:12 PM
Poor Stephen King. He gets such a bad rap on that one, and it's not even his story. (So he sued to have his name taken off.)

Lord Jubjub
2007-May-12, 03:38 PM
OK, I'll put this meandering thread to bed. I'll do a little more research and possibly some pruning. Oh, and one last nomination. . .The Iron Giant from the movie.

I somehow missed the originating works for Dahak.

parallaxicality
2007-May-12, 04:12 PM
Colossus:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus:_The_Forbin_Project

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cTubVz6vYM

A transcript of his final speech; why they didn't just record the voice is beyond me.

SHODAN (I think that's what you mean)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID2BEXJ4IKc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOFZ5fv_pb8&mode=related&search=

Lord Jubjub
2007-May-12, 04:20 PM
Oops, I edited my post a little late. I realized later that I had entered Colossus and Shodun twice and the previous entries had the information I needed.

sorry

never mind about Dahak, either. Wikipedia can be surprisingly thorough in catalogueing literature.

R.A.F.
2007-May-12, 04:23 PM
What we have here does not look like a list of the Best Artificial Intelligence Characters (as stated in the subject line), but rather a list of every AI anyone could think of.

My thoughts exactly.

That being said, I "second" R. Daneel.

The creators of more recent AI characters obviously used R. Daneel as a template. (Data is a perfect example)

Tucson_Tim
2007-May-12, 04:36 PM
What we have here does not look like a list of the Best Artificial Intelligence Characters (as stated in the subject line), but rather a list of every AI anyone could think of.

I assume there will be a poll to determine which ones the folks here think are the "best"... ??

Lord Jubjub
2007-May-12, 04:47 PM
Of course, this is a list of nominations. The voting commences in the next few minutes.