PDA

View Full Version : Li'l nitpick in Toy Story 2

Joel Clifton
2001-Oct-27, 02:32 PM
I'll get right to it: Woody says, "Why did they cancel the show?" Stinky Pete says, "Two words: Sput Nik. [that's not the nitpick]. Once the astronauts went up, kids just wanted to play with space toys."

Sputnik didn't have any passengers. Those came years later. And the first astronaut was called a cosmonaut.

As I said, it's a minor nitpick.

David Hall
2001-Oct-28, 04:09 AM
Yeah, I'd say very minor. I don't think anyone would consider Sputnik as being manned. The idea was more that it was the beginning of the Space Race, and as such captured peoples' imaginations.

I think Pete was referring to the entire era, not just the first satellite. He was just saying it was the defining event that started the change.

(I can't believe I'm defending an imaginary cartoon character from a children's movie here. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif)

Mr. X
2001-Oct-28, 05:23 AM
Very x 10^100 small nitpick.

I agree to leave a margin for plays on words(I think, even if I don't get it).

Why does he say "Sput nik"? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

I don't understand. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif
Oh well, I'm not ashamed, those movies for young people have been getting increasingly complicated up to the point where I don't understand any of that humor anymore.

Hale_Bopp
2001-Oct-28, 02:40 PM
I believe that you also see the stars moving past Buzz Lightyear when he is flying through space in the opening sequence. Also,what good do those wings of his do inspace? Maybe when he gets close to the planet (although it looked like a small asteroid that might not have an atmosphere).

Rob

Wiley
2001-Oct-28, 08:29 PM
On 2001-10-28 01:23, Mr. X wrote:
Very x 10^100 small nitpick.

This should be 10^(-100). 10^100 is a very very large small nitpick. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I agree to leave a margin for plays on words(I think, even if I don't get it).

Why does he say "Sput nik"? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

I don't understand. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Sputnik is one word. When he says, "two words: Sput Nik", this is verbal irony and very funny. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Azpod
2001-Oct-30, 07:40 PM
On 2001-10-28 09:40, Hale_Bopp wrote:
I believe that you also see the stars moving past Buzz Lightyear when he is flying through space in the opening sequence. Also,what good do those wings of his do inspace? Maybe when he gets close to the planet (although it looked like a small asteroid that might not have an atmosphere).

Rob

I think that would qualify as BA in a fictional video game that only exists in a children's movie.

Man, do we have to stretch that far to find BA...?! Hope so, but I don't think that's the case.

Heck you should see some of the BA that exists in REAL video games...! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Mr. X
2001-Oct-30, 08:50 PM
On 2001-10-28 15:29, Wiley wrote:
This should be 10^(-100). 10^100 is a very very large small nitpick. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

No! 10^100 meant the amount of times the word VERY was repeated! So that makes it a very very very ... small nitpick. Catch my drift? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

On 2001-10-28 15:29, Wiley wrote:
Sputnik is one word. When he says, "two words: Sput Nik", this is verbal irony and very funny. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

I still don't get it! What is verbal irony, and why is it funny! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Matherly
2001-Oct-31, 12:32 PM
O.K., it works like this...

One of the most basic forms of humor is to set up an expectation and then break it.

In the scene, Stinky Pete set up an expectation that he is going to say two words, and then says one word (a word that almost every one in the audience knows is one word). Additionally, he breaks the syllables in his one word appartand emphasises both of them, makeing the it sound like two words.

That is the nature of the humor.

If you do not find that funny, more power to you. Some people do, some don't.

Mr. X
2001-Oct-31, 07:15 PM
Ok, so it isn't funny to me.

I think I might be damaged.

Or maybe I lack a sense of humor.

Back to thinking about the lifter.

Mr. X
2001-Oct-31, 07:18 PM
On 2001-10-30 14:40, Azpod wrote:
Heck you should see some of the BA that exists in REAL video games...! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

And which one in particular are you referring to, Azpod? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Sorry for two consecutive replies, but they aren't related at all. Hope I don't get flak for this.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr. X on 2001-10-31 14:19 ]</font>

Wally
2001-Nov-02, 12:02 PM
On 2001-10-31 07:32, Matherly wrote:
O.K., it works like this...

One of the most basic forms of humor is to set up an expectation and then break it.

In the scene, Stinky Pete set up an expectation that he is going to say two words, and then says one word (a word that almost every one in the audience knows is one word). Additionally, he breaks the syllables in his one word appartand emphasises both of them, makeing the it sound like two words.

That is the nature of the humor.

If you do not find that funny, more power to you. Some people do, some don't.

Reminds me of that joke with the educationally challenged mother scolding her son at the store. "I've got 2 words to say to you! BE-HAVE" /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Iain Lambert
2001-Nov-02, 02:27 PM
Surely you're not suggesting that the way the eponymous Asteroids go off one side of the screen and come back on the other is Bad Astronomy are you? I thought they really did that! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif