PDA

View Full Version : I Sooooo Hurt Myself!

BigDon
2007-Apr-07, 11:20 PM
Thursday evening, for some unfathomable reason, I ended up drinking a whole quart of vodka. I had a small beer buzz going which is as much as I normally like to drink at any one time, considering I'm epileptic and all, when a young friend of mine showed up with said libation.

It's Saturday and I'm still hungover. But I didn't black out, barf, or get in trouble with the law. I did run my mouth though and I fear I have betrayed a confidence. Which could have serious social ramifications for me.

I don't do this but once every three or four years. And as usual, I remember why now. Ooooh somebody please shoot me.

A very queasy BD

Doodler
2007-Apr-07, 11:24 PM
I did run my mouth though and I fear I have betrayed a confidence. Which could have serious social ramifications for me.

The OTHER reason I quit drinking...

Donnie B.
2007-Apr-08, 12:39 AM
I generally don't react well to alcohol. A glass or two of wine with a meal is about all I can handle physiologically, and even that can have some unpleasant side effects.

If I drank that much hard liquor at one time I'd be dead.

Gillianren
2007-Apr-08, 02:16 AM
How do you "end up" drinking that much of anything without realizing it? Especially something taken in such relatively small doses?

I hope your betrayed confidence doesn't come back to hurt you too badly, Don.

Musashi
2007-Apr-08, 02:19 AM
Booze can sneak up on you. It is one of the reasons I cut back my drinking as well.

LucasVB
2007-Apr-08, 02:29 AM
I never really understood how people could find inebriation so thrilling.

danscope
2007-Apr-08, 02:58 AM
There is a number line when considering the consumption of alcohol.
The number two figures prominently ....as in two beers....two glasses of wine,
two martinis.....two margueritas.....one large maitai...One GIQ...
and well, the rest is experimentation of potentially the worst kind.
******************* The Five Stages of Drunkeness (Oh...Brother )
LEVEL 1:
It's 11:00 on a weeknight, you've had a few beers. You get up to leave because you have work the next day and one of your friends buys another round. One of your UNEMPLOYED friends. Here at level one you think to yourself, "Oh come on, this is silly, why as long as I get seven hours of sleep (snap fingers), I'm cool."
LEVEL 2:
It's midnight. You've had a few more beers. You've just spent 20 minutes arguing against artificial turf. You get up to leave again, but at level two, a little devil appears on your shoulder(POP) And now you're thinking, "Hey! I'm out with my friends! What am I working for anyway? These are the good times! Besides, as long as I get five hours sleep (snaps fingers) I'm cool."
LEVEL 3:
One in the morning. You've abandoned beer for tequila. You've just spent 20 minutes arguing FOR artificial turf. And now you're thinking, "Our waitress is the most beautiful woman I've ever seen!" At level three, you love the world. On the way to the bathroom you buy a drink for the stranger at the end of the bar just because you like his face. You get drinking fantasies. (like,"Hey fellas, if we bought our own bar, we could live together forever. We could do it. Tommy, you could cook.") But at level three, that devil is a little bit bigger....and he's buying. And you're thinking "Oh, come on, come on now. As long as I get three hours sleep...and a complete change of blood (snaps fingers), I'm cool."
LEVEL 4:
Two in the morning. And the devil is bartending. For last call, you ordered a bottle of rum and a Coke. You ARE artificial turf! This time on your way to the bathroom, you punch the stranger at the end of the bar. Just because you don't like his face! And now you're thinking, "Our busboy is the best looking man I've ever seen." You and your friends decide to leave, right after you get thrown out, and one of you knows an ...after hours bar. And here, at level four, you actually think to yourself, "Well....as long as I'm only going to get a few hours sleep anyway, I may as well....STAY UP ALL NIGHT!!!! Yeah! That'd be good for me. I don't mind going to that board meeting looking like Keith Richards. Yeah, I'll turn that around, make it work for me. And besides, as long as I get 31 hours sleep tomorrow ....cool."
LEVEL 5:
Five in the morning. after unsuccessfully trying to get your money back at the tattoo parlor ("But I don't even know anybody named Ruby!!!"), you and your friends wind up across the state line in a bar with guys who have been in prison as recently as...that morning. It's the kind of place where even the devil is going, "Uh, I gotta turn in. I gotta be in Hell- at nine. I've got that brunch with Hitler, I can't miss that." At this point, you're all drinking some kind of thick blue liquor, like something from a Klingon wedding. A waitress with fresh stitches comes over, and you think to yourself, "Someday I'm gonna marry that girl!!" One of your friends stands up and screams, "WE'RE DRIVIN' TO FLORIDA!!!!!"- and passes out. You crawl outside for air , and then you hit the worst part of level five- the sun. You weren't expecting that were you? You never do. You walk out of a bar in daylight, and you see people on their way to work, or jogging. And they look at you-and they know. And they say..."Who's Ruby?" Let's be honest, if you're 19 and you stay up all night, it's like a victory like you've beat the night, but if you're over 30, then that sun is like God's flashlight. We all say the same prayer then, and you can say it together with me now....."I swear, I will never do this again (how long?) as long as I live!" And some of us have that little addition, "......and this time, I mean it!" From a wise man named Larry Miller.
Best regards, Dan

Maksutov
2007-Apr-08, 07:47 AM
Well, queasy BD, at least that was only one night. You didn't wind up doing a Spencer Tracy (http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=270251), which is the stuff of legends (http://theater2.nytimes.com/mem/theater/treview.html?html_title=&tols_title=LAKE%20HOLLYWOOD%20%28PLAY%29&pdate=19990430&byline=By%20BEN%20BRANTLEY&id=1077011430532).

Keep it up and soon you'll praying the lord to de-liver you. Or a doctor to re-liver you, if you're lucky...

Gillianren
2007-Apr-08, 08:33 AM

For me, keeping control is a vital day-to-day issue, a struggle I constantly fight in. Spending money to lose the fight bewilders me.

Count Zero
2007-Apr-08, 08:54 AM
Hangovers (like sea-sickness) have two stages:

Stage 1 - You're afraid you're gonna die.

Stage 2 - You're afraid you won't.

papageno
2007-Apr-08, 09:04 AM
How do you "end up" drinking that much of anything without realizing it? Especially something taken in such relatively small doses?

As far as I understand, even relatively small doses of alcohol can impair judgment. So, after having drunk enough of it, you can no longer tell how much it affected you.

That's one of the problems about drinking and driving: at some point the driver thinks he can still drive safely, when it is not true.

Vermonter
2007-Apr-08, 06:25 PM
I don't like to drink to get drunk. I'll usually have one, maybe two bottles of beer and call it a night. Or, if I decide to have a glass rum and coke, I use a lot of coke, and not that much rum. Strong stuff, it is. Unfortunately one of my friends up here tends to drink too much in one sitting, one time I had to make sure he stayed up until he became more sober. The lad doesn't know control.

Doodler
2007-Apr-08, 07:50 PM

Its a fun ride down, the landing is hell. Kinda like skydiving with an anvil on your back.

Van Rijn
2007-Apr-09, 08:59 AM
Its a fun ride down, the landing is hell. Kinda like skydiving with an anvil on your back.

I had one time I really enjoyed the time when I was drinking and even then, I suspect I would have had a great time without it. That was over twenty years ago. Usually, I quickly get headaches from alcohol, but if I don't, it still doesn't do much for or to me that I would call "fun." People definitely react differently to alcohol.

Tog
2007-Apr-09, 09:03 AM
Hangovers (like sea-sickness) have two stages:

Stage 1 - You're afraid you're gonna die.

Stage 2 - You're afraid you won't.

Having spent 7.5 hours of an 8 hour fishing trip curled up on floor in the center of the boat, I can relate to the second half of tat in a big way.

As for drinking, I don't. Mainly because I can't stand the taste of anything with alcohol in it, but also because drunk people really annoy me. They are no where as funny/attractive/good at singing as they think they are. That, naturally, makes me the dedicated driver whenever we go out anywhere with certain friends.

The GF got really sick on tequila and will now vomit if she even smells it. Event the Martguerita Jelly Belly beans are borderline.

One day, my martial arts instructor called me up to see if I could pick up on the way to class. He'd had a bout of "tequila fever" the night before and came out that afternoon to find that he had completely dismantled the steering column on his truck. He had a vague memory of something about screwdrivers, and no clue what he may have been trying to fix.:lol:

clop
2007-Apr-09, 09:24 AM
I feel for you BigDon. The trouble with alcohol is that it is more mind-altering than many people are prone to admit. Once the squiffiness creeps up on you it "gets" you and you drink more without realising what the consequences will be. I hope you don't get into too much trouble.

clop

Fazor
2007-Apr-09, 02:22 PM
Musta been something in the air BD; I had a few too many that night too. Well, actually I didn't drink that much (relatively). Had a half of a glass of beer at dinner (My g/f finished it off, I wasn't really in the drinking mood at that point). Went to the store to pick up some dog food and ended up getting a new beer to try (some import from "across the pond", more likely made in Canada just so they could put 'imported' on the label). Anyway the cans came in pints, so had a pint of beer. Then had a glass of wine. All while watching a movie or something. So that works out to about a pint and a half of beer and a glass (or maybe two) of wine. Really not much, considering I had about 8 beers during the OSU/Florida fiasco and felt fine. But when I woke up in the morning I had one of the worst hangover's I've had in a long time. Musta just been the particular mixture of alcohols. *shrugs*

Sticks
2007-Apr-09, 03:11 PM
For metabolic reasons I can not touch alcohol

However, I suspect you are dehydrated, so you need to drink lots of water.

Roy Batty
2007-Apr-09, 04:01 PM
I read the OP & thought, How much is a quart? doesn't sound too bad.
So I google calc'ed & it says 1 US quart = ~0.95 Litres, is that right?!

I used to drink Vodka a lot (hardly touched it or any other spirit in 3 years now) & a standard bottle size over here (UK) is 0.75 Lt, a large being 1 Lt & I don't think they come any bigger than 1.5 Lt. This at a percentage by volume strength (I think you double to get 'proof' in the US?) of usually 37.5% & sometimes 40% or stronger depending on brand.

If that's how much you drank in one long evening Big Don, then I'm gob smacked!:eek:

Btw Vodka is one of the spirits that give you the least hangovers (especially if you drink it with plenty of mixer orange juice/vit C), since it generally contains far less additives than Brandy, Whiskey, Rum etc .... this, of course, is not necessarily a good thing! ;)

BigDon
2007-Apr-09, 04:10 PM
Roy, killed it in straight shots in about 3 hours. I'm still calling myself a horse's patoot. Like I said I don't do that but once every three or four years.

Roy Batty
2007-Apr-09, 04:18 PM
In that case, I reckon you must have the constitution of a horse (or your avatar :))!
Oh & I sympathise, it's hardly ever the physical after effects that cause the most angst afterwards. Hope it all works out.

farmerjumperdon
2007-Apr-09, 05:04 PM
I feel for you BigDon. The trouble with alcohol is that it is more mind-altering than many people are prone to admit. Once the squiffiness creeps up on you it "gets" you and you drink more without realising what the consequences will be. I hope you don't get into too much trouble.

clop

Yep, some people keep drinking when they should not, for the same reason they think they are funny when they are not. A little bit can settle the nerves and loosen inhibitions (could be a good or bad thing), a little more can impair judgement - including the inability to know you should stop.

Of course this does not apply to the person that genuinely wants to be drunk and is willing to pay the price with a hangover.

Either way, they are not nearly as funny, to a sober person, as they think they are. I'll get there 3 or 4 times a year when the setting and crowd seem to be right. It can be very fun with the right crowd. I try to make sure I will not be a burden to sober people.

farmerjumperdon
2007-Apr-09, 05:08 PM
I read the OP & thought, How much is a quart? doesn't sound too bad.
So I google calc'ed & it says 1 US quart = ~0.95 Litres, is that right?!

I used to drink Vodka a lot (hardly touched it or any other spirit in 3 years now) & a standard bottle size over here (UK) is 0.75 Lt, a large being 1 Lt & I don't think they come any bigger than 1.5 Lt. This at a percentage by volume strength (I think you double to get 'proof' in the US?) of usually 37.5% & sometimes 40% or stronger depending on brand.

If that's how much you drank in one long evening Big Don, then I'm gob smacked!:eek:

Not hard to do, especially once you get used to it.

A certain family member of mine used to drink a quart of Brandy a day, at the minimum. Did it for about 12 years. Then died. Big surprise heh?

DyerWolf
2007-Apr-09, 05:15 PM
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

I'm just waiting for Big Bad Boo's reaction. Nothing like having to listen to your kid say, "I told you so..."

farmerjumperdon
2007-Apr-09, 05:43 PM
OK, once in a while a drunk can be funny:

NEVER QUESTION A DRUNK - I was shopping at the local supermarket where I selected: a 1/2 gallon of milk, a carton of eggs, a quart of orange juice, a head of romaine lettuce, 2 lbs. of coffee, and 1 lb. of bacon.

As I was unloading my items on the conveyor belt to check out, a drunk standing behind me watched as I placed the items in front of the cashier. While the cashier was ringing up the purchases, the drunk calmly stated, "You must be single." I was a bit startled by this proclamation, but I was intrigued by the derelict's intuition, since I was indeed single. I looked at the 6 items on the belt and saw nothing particularly unusual about my selections that could have tipped off the drunk to my marital status. Curiosity getting the better of me, I said: "Well, you know what, you're absolutely right. But how on earth did you know that?"

The drunk replied, "Cause you're ugly."

mugaliens
2007-Apr-09, 06:03 PM
Having passed mid-life, I realized drinking wasn't doing anything for me, anymore, and quit about 7 months ago.

korjik
2007-Apr-09, 09:14 PM
Last time I did anything like that was about 3 or 4 years ago. I invited everyone from school over to the bar on rice university (85 cent Shiner, yum). Unfortunately, everyone came. While it is nice to have friends, when that many people are buying you beer, you can lose track. I lost track at 14, and I am pretty sure I was only about 60% done at that point.

Lucky for me, unlucky for the couple of friends still around (my ride and a couple others), and very unlucky for the stairs, my body did what it always does when I get that drunk.....

I didnt get hung over too bad tho. I have alot of experiance keeping hydrated (desert storm) so I made sure I drank enough water. Well, I drank the water once my apartment stopped spinning enough to get to the sink. :)

I couldnt touch beer for a few months after, but I dont have any problem drinking the stuff now.

Lord Jubjub
2007-Apr-10, 12:52 AM
Well, one time I bought a fifth of Everclear (95%--essentially pure alcohol). I experimented with mixing it with various drinks and even tried a straight shot. I think I ended up consuming a third of the bottle that night.

I woke up on the carpet at 2 in the morning wishing that I hadn't. I spent the next two weeks getting rid of the stuff and have never bought it again.

Gillianren
2007-Apr-10, 01:23 AM
As for drinking, I don't. Mainly because I can't stand the taste of anything with alcohol in it, but also because drunk people really annoy me. They are no where as funny/attractive/good at singing as they think they are.

Amen and right on.

Once, Sting was out walking at night, and he was accosted by a particularly fragrant drunk demanding, "How beautiful is the Moon? How beautiful is the Moon?"

Now, people may not realize this, but before he was a musician, Sting was an English teacher. So he did what English teachers do in a situation like that: he quoted Shakespeare, to wit, "My mistress's eyes are nothing like the Sun."

"A good answer," said the drunk, "a good answer," and he stumbled away. Sting said in the liner notes of his . . . Nothing like the Sun album that Shakespeare is useful in situations like that, if for no other reason than because it convinces the drunk that you're crazier than they are.

HenrikOlsen
2007-Apr-10, 01:33 AM
That doesn't help with people who start quoting Shakespeare (or Monty Python) when drunk, though.
I vaguely remember having entire conversations consisting of nothing but badly remembered quotes picked to fit what was meant, I doubt the tactic would have worked in that situation.

farmerjumperdon
2007-Apr-10, 01:00 PM
Last time I did anything like that was about 3 or 4 years ago. I invited everyone from school over to the bar on rice university (85 cent Shiner, yum). Unfortunately, everyone came. While it is nice to have friends, when that many people are buying you beer, you can lose track. I lost track at 14, and I am pretty sure I was only about 60% done at that point.

Lucky for me, unlucky for the couple of friends still around (my ride and a couple others), and very unlucky for the stairs, my body did what it always does when I get that drunk.....

I didnt get hung over too bad tho. I have alot of experiance keeping hydrated (desert storm) so I made sure I drank enough water. Well, I drank the water once my apartment stopped spinning enough to get to the sink. :)

I couldnt touch beer for a few months after, but I dont have any problem drinking the stuff now.

Did that with Southern Comfort once. Used to be my drink of choice. Got so sick I didn't touch the stuff for . . . days.

Kidding. Didn't drink at all for a while, and never drank that stuff in volume again. I do still have it on the rocks after dinner on occassional nights out (very infrequent with current lifestyle).

hhEb09'1
2007-Apr-10, 01:22 PM
Pitchers of Hairy Red Dog at the Buckhorn in Laramie, WY, after lunch

shudder

closetgeek
2007-Apr-10, 03:37 PM
I remember the good old days where I could keep up but it seems these days my stomach has gotten weaker. I don't mind catching a good buzz and occassionally, I break out of my shell, become quite the life of the party, but for the most part, a coke, a good set of music, and a nice pool table makes for a fun evening for me.

I generally don't react well to alcohol. A glass or two of wine with a meal is about all I can handle physiologically, and even that can have some unpleasant side effects.

If I drank that much hard liquor at one time I'd be dead.

Fazor
2007-Apr-10, 03:42 PM
I remember the good old days where I could keep up but it seems these days my stomach has gotten weaker. I don't mind catching a good buzz and occassionally, I break out of my shell, become quite the life of the party, but for the most part, a coke, a good set of music, and a nice pool table makes for a fun evening for me.

Yeah, back in my college days (okay so two years ago) I could put down a twelve pack and chase it with a bottle of vodka. (not exaggerating by much). I'll have a beer or two every night (if not beer a glass of wine) but now if I open a bottle of beer it'll be about 40 minutes before that bottle is empty. Use to take me 20-30 seconds :-P Just can't drink like that anymore. Of course, I don't want to drink like that any more either so it works out.

danscope
2007-Apr-10, 06:02 PM
Yep.....well if you sip it, you enjoy it more, and feed the bears less, and save on asprin as well.
When I go golfing, I bring WATER!!!! Not Beer. At least not for the first 7 holes.
Sometimes, I have a beer bottle filled with cold water, (and it's not against the Geneva Convention). My competition is on their third beer by the second hole. Ya get dehydrated, and the BRAIN goes first. They start making bad golf decisions. By the seventh hole, I'm beating then by 4 holes and 5 strokes. I'm well hydrated, and now I'm ready for my victory ale,
.....Sierra Nevada Pale, or some such, and I'll sip it for an hour. Quality score and a quality brew well enjoyed.
When you're an A player, you need every advantage to stay ahead. :D
Drink reasonably and prosper.
Dan
PS: " Thumper: What has your Father told you to do?"
"............If you can't drink reasonably,.........Don't drink at all.."
From the cutting room floor.

Gillianren
2007-Apr-10, 06:24 PM
That doesn't help with people who start quoting Shakespeare (or Monty Python) when drunk, though.
I vaguely remember having entire conversations consisting of nothing but badly remembered quotes picked to fit what was meant, I doubt the tactic would have worked in that situation.

No, I guess not. But I doubt your average street-wandering drunk is a Shakespeare (or Monty Python) afficionado.

Am I the only person without any "when I was in college" drinking stories aside from those too young to have gotten to college yet?

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Apr-10, 06:27 PM
Well, I really don't have any stories, and I am in university. Here's all I have:

When I was in university, I would occasionally drink with some friends. Then we'd go home after going to the party/bar.

Boring, eh?

danscope
2007-Apr-11, 01:45 AM
There is nothing boring about a good night's sleep , for all of your friends, and
your Parents , and much to be said for a sheepskin safely in your hands.
Drinking is not a competition. It should be a respected social libation.
And......you don't need to drink ....to do things.
Best regards, Dan

farmerjumperdon
2007-Apr-11, 03:31 AM
Did I mention my drinking club has a skydiving problem. Had to throw it out there. Saw it on a T-shirt.

Tobin Dax
2007-Apr-11, 05:30 AM
No, I guess not. But I doubt your average street-wandering drunk is a Shakespeare (or Monty Python) afficionado.

Am I the only person without any "when I was in college" drinking stories aside from those too young to have gotten to college yet?

No. I never really drank in college. Had a few beers or hard lemonades or some such over the year-and-a-half that I was legal (literally a few). I didn't really start drinking until grad school, but that has been mostly socially and I've really had no more than 3-4 drinks in a night. That's tapered off a bit since I went on epilepsy meds over a year ago, but I'll still have the very occasional drink or two.

Dr Nigel
2007-Apr-11, 07:49 AM
Btw Vodka is one of the spirits that give you the least hangovers (especially if you drink it with plenty of mixer orange juice/vit C), since it generally contains far less additives than Brandy, Whiskey, Rum etc .... this, of course, is not necessarily a good thing! ;)

It's not additives, Roy, it's natural by-products of the distillation / maturation processes. For example, whisky is widely acknowledged as having the highest methanol content of any beverage. It is therefore vitally important that you do not overindulge in whisky. Especially one of the strongly-flavoured scotch whiskies.

I once drank about half a bottle of Laphroaig in about 2-3 hours (nothing compared to Big Don's feat, but that's a lot for me). My friends persuaded me not to cycle home (I was a student at the time, and the bottle had been a birthday present), which was probably a good thing. I got home about midnight and felt a little bit queasy. The next thing I knew it was 4 am and I was sat in the bathroom next to the toilet.

The worst thing, though, was the next day. I stank, and the smell made me feel nauseous again.

That was nearly 20 years ago, and I did indeed learn my lesson. I have never got drunk on whisky since (although I have developed a taste for fine single-malt scotch whisky).

Dr Nigel
2007-Apr-11, 07:58 AM

It's entirely possible.

Judging from the erudite nature of many of your posts in BAUTforum, I assume you went to college. Were you the one that always did the tutorial work and never missed a lecture, by any chance? :)

With the benefit of hindsight, I realise I made a choice when I was a student: I chose socialising over getting the best degree I could. Had I worked harder, I think I could have got a first-class honours degree, rather than just scraping a 2(i). Of course, after I got the PhD, it all became a little bit academic.

Hah! Academic, geddit? :lol: :lol:

Sorry. I can't resist a punning opportunity.

Tog
2007-Apr-11, 08:22 AM

I'm old enough to have gone, but never did. There was not enough money to go and too much to qualify for assistance. Even if I had gone, I doubt I'd have any drinking stories. We house sit for some people that drink a lot. At the parties they throw, I'm always offered a drink, but never pressured into it. When they play drinking games, I can stick with "Nerd Beer" (Mountain Dew), but it's not really the same. I've never really been one to give in to perr pressure, but if there was a group that could do it, it would be them.

Roy Batty
2007-Apr-11, 01:36 PM
It's not additives, Roy, it's natural by-products of the distillation / maturation processes.
Yes, bad wording on my part. I meant anything other than ethanol :D I used to find Brandy bad for hangovers.
The other good (or bad) thing about Vodka of course is that it lends itself very easily to mixing, ie fresh orange juice, which of course helps with potential hangovers. I never could understand/get the hang of downing 'shots' (of anything).
Btw I remember Laphroaig being nice but my fave 'heavy, peaty' malt tipple was Lagavulin. I still treat myself to a bottle of a single malt over each xmas/newyear - so much more easier to savour & enjoy in moderation :)

Moose
2007-Apr-11, 02:15 PM

Nope. I stopped drinking almost as soon as I'd started at 17. Many reasons, but one that's sort of relevant now is that I'm an extremely cheap drunk (I once nearly fell out of my pew from disorientation after a mere sip of sacremental wine in college), and I become a massive jerk (more than usual :) ) when I'm not in full control of my faculties. I also giggle like a pre-teen school girl. I found all that a bit too hard on my dignity.

This decision was somewhat reinforced when an old friend of mine, without any exaggeration on my part whatsoever, very nearly died from alcohol poisoning. She later told me what she'd had to drink that night, and I'm pretty sure I can still accurately recite what she told me to this day. Keep in mind this woman is about 4' 10" tall, if that. She told me she'd had seven vodka coolers, two beer, two glasses of wine, a vodka-orange juice, a vodka-something-else, and a rum and coke.

With those and my other reasons, it wasn't hard for me to give it up outright before college, without any regrets whatsoever.

I still had my vices throughout college (what's the college experience without some experience with excess, right? :D ), but they were all non-chemical in nature.

Dr Nigel
2007-Apr-11, 03:27 PM
Btw I remember Laphroaig being nice but my fave 'heavy, peaty' malt tipple was Lagavulin. I still treat myself to a bottle of a single malt over each xmas/newyear - so much more easier to savour & enjoy in moderation :)

Mmmmm. Oh, yes, the 16-yo double-matured Lagavulin is very nice.

Oh, and I consider it imperative to take my time with a good whisky: it deserves respect (especially when about half of my whiskies are bottled at cask strength and are around 55 - 64% a.b.v.). One of my current faves is a 1975 St. Magdalene (distilled in Linlithgow, where I lived for two-and-a-half years*), bottled in 2006 from a second-fill sherry cask (it was a single-cask bottling). Oh, it is soooooo smooth. [drifts off into remembered savouring of favourite whisky]...

*I lived in the town, not in the distillery**.

** Which has been turned into flats, so I could have.

Roy Batty
2007-Apr-11, 05:34 PM
Stop it Dr Nigel... it's still far too long till xmas! :)

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Apr-11, 05:55 PM
Mmm... Islay Malts...

Gillianren
2007-Apr-11, 07:16 PM
Judging from the erudite nature of many of your posts in BAUTforum, I assume you went to college. Were you the one that always did the tutorial work and never missed a lecture, by any chance? :)

[Gillian falls over giggling, points the post out to her college friends, and watches while they fall over giggling.]

Yeah, I did go to college. However, while I was quite good at attending lectures, I've always been very bad at getting the work done. It's probably the mental illness; it makes me very unreliable. My professor thought I'd done all the reading most of the time; he was often wrong. Still, I did learn a lot, even when I didn't do the reading or write the essays.

With the benefit of hindsight, I realise I made a choice when I was a student: I chose socialising over getting the best degree I could. Had I worked harder, I think I could have got a first-class honours degree, rather than just scraping a 2(i). Of course, after I got the PhD, it all became a little bit academic.

If I were more focussed, I could have a PhD. However, I've never had the concentration to apply to grad school--or the wherewithal for application fees. Besides, I'm not sure I'd be able to use it, given that I'm not really able to work at all.

DyerWolf
2007-Apr-11, 07:54 PM
Mmm... Islay Malts...

Ah yes... So unbelievably good you'd like to share with your friends when they come over...

- except when you visit, the cheap SOBs only ever have lite beer...

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Apr-11, 08:08 PM
But I'm blessed with a friend who shares my tastes... and my preference for quality over quantity. Makes all the difference.

crosscountry
2007-Apr-11, 09:41 PM
well I had a beer tonight and shared a bottle of wine last night with a pretty girl.

I might drink a few (as in 3) nights per week, but usually just one drink.

recently I made a big purchase that severely limits my buying power for a while, and I'll be buying much LESS alcohol. I do have a full bottle of Tequila waiting for the right moment. I have to be careful though, for me 1 shot of tequila means I'll finish 1 bottle of it. I love that stuff.

so, moral, I've had points where I drank a lot more and some where I drank less. Now, except for beer it will become cost prohibitive to drink. Here in Germany good beer can be had for much less than coca cola.

Noclevername
2007-Apr-11, 10:00 PM
My last such experience was way back in college; I was partying with the contents of three dorms, filled and refilled my rather large Spuds McKenzie mug with a mix of Southern Discomfort, pink Champagne, Fosters laager and something clear which I never Identified. In the middle of watching a movie, I suddenly woke up in the hospital with my parents (who lived three states away) standing over me. I never did see the second half of the movie until years later.

That basically ended my drinking days.

I have a similar story about quitting smoking (double pneumonia). I did learn something in college: moderation!

Dr Nigel
2007-Apr-12, 08:29 AM
Stop it Dr Nigel... it's still far too long till xmas! :)

Oh, I had a drop of that St. Magdalene last night. Mmmmm.

If I were to only ever drink whisky at Christmastime, I would have ... er ... about 35 bottles on the shelf. So I do let myself savour them as and when the mood takes me.

Sorry to be such a tease, Roy. :)

Dr Nigel
2007-Apr-12, 08:31 AM
Mmm... Islay Malts...

Oooh, and have you tried the port-finished Bowmore? That's very interesting. It starts off being far more fruity than you would ever expect an Islay malt to be, then the finish just screams at you with the full Bowmore character (smoky / peaty, with a touch of phenolics and the caramel from the first cask).

Dr Nigel
2007-Apr-12, 08:34 AM
[Gillian falls over giggling, points the post out to her college friends, and watches while they fall over giggling.]

I am so pleased to be able to bring a little happiness into your life. :)

Yeah, I did go to college. However, while I was quite good at attending lectures, I've always been very bad at getting the work done. It's probably the mental illness; it makes me very unreliable. My professor thought I'd done all the reading most of the time; he was often wrong. Still, I did learn a lot, even when I didn't do the reading or write the essays...

Yes, but if you could fool the professor into thinking you'd done the reading, how is anyone else going to know? :shifty:

Dr Nigel
2007-Apr-12, 08:38 AM
But I'm blessed with a friend who shares my tastes... and my preference for quality over quantity. Makes all the difference.

Me, too. Last September, I took my friend (who lives near Montpellier, in the south of France) to an event in Glasgow called WhiskyLive. He got the train from Montpellier to my nearest station (best part of 1500 miles in about 13 hours), stayed one night with us, then I drove us up to Glasgow.

And for this he gave me a bottle of wine. I say wine, it was a St. Emilion Grand Cru Classé. Lovely.

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Apr-12, 05:55 PM
Oooh, and have you tried the port-finished Bowmore? That's very interesting. It starts off being far more fruity than you would ever expect an Islay malt to be, then the finish just screams at you with the full Bowmore character (smoky / peaty, with a touch of phenolics and the caramel from the first cask).

No, I haven't. The whisky selection in Ontario is somewhat... limited. I'm going to have to find a way to get some shipped, methinks.

And travelling 13 hours for some good scotch? Sounds about right.

EvilEye
2007-Apr-12, 11:44 PM
Let me first admit to some things.

I am a real alcoholic. But a functional alcoholic.

I am not a physicist, psychologist, or psychiatrist.

OK... that aside....

I drink approximately 24-36 beers a day. No kidding. They are like water to me (and don't be afraid people... I'm not driving... I live where I work, and I work alone... I'm not hiding my drinking from anyone)

The first time I had a shot of Jagermeister, I fell in love with it. And got sick as hell.

Now I can drink a 5th of Jager as well as my normal beer intake in a week and never have a hangover.

I'm not bragging about this. It's really sad.

I just drink because I can, and like coffee for some and a Snickers Bar for others... I just want it and since I can have it, I do it.

I haven't been to a doctor since 1986.

Am I killing myself? Maybe. But we're all dying... some slower than others.

As far as the hangover goes.... If you aren't like me... and drink heavily one night and feel it, then your hangover isn't from alcohol. It is from fatty acids that build up in your brain, and you feel the pressure.

I guess I don't feel it because I have become tolerant of it and don't notice any change.

I have gone days without a beer and as long as I eat and drink my coffee and water sufficiently, I feel no effects.

My motor skills are surely reduced, but not noticeably when I am drinking, because of something called "motor (or Muscle) memory" My body has "learned" how to compensate for the imparement. I can pass every roadside sobriety test with no problem except vertical/horizontal Nystagmus and if they bring it out... the breathalyzer.

This is not a good thing.

In anwser to your original question about why you were still drunk or hung-over days later... it's simple. You had alcohol poisoning, and you haven't flushed it yet.

My body never flushes. It has learned to accept it as a normal part of everyday.

I should be dead. But I stay alive because I have to.... because I love those that hate me drinking.

(P.S. I wrote this during my 22nd beer of the day... just so you can see how alcohol makes you ramble.)

Much love, and good luck,
EE

(edited part) - I started drinking at 15. I will be 40 this December.

Dr Nigel
2007-Apr-13, 11:13 PM
Hmmm ... this evening, after having 3 pints of Bombardier and about 4 or 5 bottles of Asahi, I'm feeling under the inflience, as it were.

But it was to celebrate tyhe successful end of a project at work, and work will be paying for the meal.

So plase excue thje errartic tyoing.

EvilEye
2007-Apr-14, 12:04 AM
I will be remembered by my family as a good man who loved his beer.

I have never raised a hand to anyone, let alone a woman.

I am a "lone" drinker. And much like a pothead (without the laziness), I love everyone.

I'm easy.

I work my tail off... sometimes over 15 hours in a day - alone. I just have learned to make sure I eat, and drink (fluids) to compensate for my addiction.

I weigh 180 lbs at 6 feet tall, eat whatever I like, and walk about 15 miles a day. (more on mowing/trimming days)

I have no idea what kind of cholesteral levels I have and I don't care.

I haven't had the flu, a cold, a broken bone, or any other typical ailment since 1986.

I have no idea why this is.

I can say this. I never ever do any other drugs..... including down to aspirin.

I think that they lower your tolerance to things, including pain.

I believe in trudging on through things, and that the more you do that, the stronger you become.

My mother used to take aspirin every day back in the 70's and 80's claiming a headache.

But every day she had a headache.

I have NEVER had a headache. (not the kind she was talking about)

I think that pills hide symptoms, and don't CURE anything.

But when you hide a symptom, you feel better and are more likely to go back to what you were doing and get sicker.

You are tricking your body.

My body is so pickled that it has been tricked into believing that it is well.

Works for me.

EvilEye
2007-Apr-14, 12:11 AM
Sorry. This member just realized how "I"-centric that last post seems.

How does one talk about themself without seeming like they are being "I"centric?

BigDon
2007-Apr-14, 12:12 AM
Pssh, you're all good Evil, no problem.

Whirlpool
2007-Apr-14, 03:57 AM
I remember my first encounter with liquor, back in our dormitory years back.

I drank only 2 short glass of brandy and my friends panicked because I'm all soo Red that they think that my skin will burst and spit blood if prick.

I felt hot all over and decided to leave them and sleep, because thats the effect on me ... I fell asleep.

The next morning , Boy , I got allergies all over my body ....

After that , I swear to myself I will never drink "Brandy" :lol: again...

:p

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Apr-14, 04:32 AM
A long time ago in a galaxy far away (12 years ago), a few days after my 18th birthday I was at UNB Fredericton and there were a couple of people of the opposite sex from my high school t challenged me a few days before to get drunk for the first time. It started with some having to purchase a bottle of whiskey, got that but the people who get for me kept it and gave shots (rather quickly), then after the whisKey there was vodka. After all that was done with I walked to the girls dorm. Well I was living in a off-campus dorm and they lived on campus up a rather steep hill. When I got there I was so dizzy, they actually wanted me to go to a party but I couldn't so I made back down to my place (some of my supper didn't make it). After I got back I headed to the TV room and two hours later I came out of black out in the same room with a garbage can on my lap and my arms around the garbage can. I then made 3 sets of stairs to my room were they made sure I was laying in a way I wouldn't choke on my vomit. In the mouring everyone was telling all kinds of stories of what happened.

some lessons

1)drink at your own pace
2)eat light
3)do not trust anything, anybody tells you what happened after you pass out

Whirlpool
2007-Apr-14, 05:01 AM
At least you still remember what you did while you're drunk. :lol:

Me?
I pass out and never really knew what will happen , IF my friends will do some silly things on me. :neutral:

So I make sure when drink (not brandy) , I make sure who's with me and where we are, and I don't let myself get drunk hard.

;)

HenrikOlsen
2007-Apr-14, 05:24 AM
1)drink at your own pace
2)eat light
3)do not trust anything, anybody tells you what happened after you pass out
I'd challenge no. 2. Eat well, the alcohol won't hit so hard.

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Apr-14, 05:26 AM
I'd challenge no. 2. Eat well, the alcohol won't hit so hard.
It probably on what you eat not how much, eat light is just in case you have a bad reaction.

EvilEye
2007-Apr-14, 05:37 AM
The first time I got drunk, and passed out, my cousin tried to get me to eat and I would have none of it.

When he finally convinced me to eat, I felt better within MINUTES.

Since then I just make sure I balnace my drinking hard with eating and drinking other liquids, and it seems to work.

Whirlpool
2007-Apr-14, 05:44 AM
Funny.. I remember myself vomitting years back (again).

When my friend and I got stucked in traffic , one late night because of a Storm and decided to eat some burgers and since we can't still go home we decided to go in a nearby bar at stayed there until the Traffic is gone and have some drink.

I remember , I am full at that time , so the effect of the liquor made me vomit all what I've eaten and afterwards , I felt So Awful. :neutral:

Made me swear not drink liquor again. :doh:

I guess I'm stubborn.

:evil:

sarongsong
2007-Apr-14, 06:21 AM
I remember my first encounter with liquor...I drank only 2 short glass of brandy...Sound familiar? http://bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
brandy
n.
A cordial composed of one part thunder-and-lightning, one part remorse, two parts bloody murder, one part death-hell-and-the-grave and four parts clarified Satan. Dose, a headful all the time. Brandy is said by Dr. Johnson to be the drink of heroes. Only a hero will venture to drink it.
---Devil's Dictionary answers.com (http://www.answers.com/topic/brandy)

Whirlpool
2007-Apr-14, 09:01 AM
Sound familiar? http://bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

:lol:

EvilEye
2007-Apr-14, 03:24 PM
"He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Samuel Johnson

I swear that sounds like the beginning of a really cool song.... ;)

HenrikOlsen
2007-Apr-14, 03:46 PM
My preferred quote on a slightly similar theme, and unfortunately oh so relevant these days is Nietzsche's "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster." as it's translated, there's a multitude of versions of it. I picked a random.

EvilEye
2007-Apr-14, 10:50 PM
Here's a good question.

I already admitted to being an alcoholic.. but what is the definition that counts?

I don't have any monetary, health, or family problems. Everything is cool, but I drink that much (see my first post in this thread). Is it alcoholism or just binge drinking?

Or is American beer just too weak? (Bud Light is my preference)

crosscountry
2007-Apr-15, 08:19 AM
Here's a good question.

I already admitted to being an alcoholic.. but what is the definition that counts?

I don't have any monetary, health, or family problems. Everything is cool, but I drink that much (see my first post in this thread). Is it alcoholism or just binge drinking?

Or is American beer just too weak? (Bud Light is my preference)

EvilEye, I wanted to reply to your thread.

My father is like you. He drinks all day. When we was self employed it could be as many as 24 beers in a day. I have a lot of feelings about that that I probably shouldn't share. But I want to tell you how it was for me as a child with a parent like that.

Now that I'm older I can express into words what I only could see as a child. My father would drink all day from morning till night. He was functional, very functional. So much in fact that he believed there was nothing wrong. He could drive without accidents and did for many years. He still does I believe even though I'm thousands of kilometers away now. He was self employed and worked as a carpenter / woodworker. He build doors, cabinets, houses, anything you would want out of wood. He worked with power tools all day and never had a accident that took him off of work. He was renowned in his county for making fantastic wood work, and people came to him from all around to have his work in their houses.

I didn't see my dad sober for most of my childhood. On top of the beer and occasional harder drink he smoked marijuana every day. And like I said, he functioned normally. He did get drunk too, not every day, but was still able drive and work with heavy equipment. As I was young and learning about the effects of alcohol and drugs and how they can impair judgement, motor skills, I also had to see my dad prove those books wrong.

It certainly set a bad example for me, and I started to follow in his footsteps. Of course now I know better and have changed my path. I'm only 26, drink a couple times per week (almost expected living in Germany) and don't do drugs. I'm finishing my masters degree in Physics and hope to have employment in my field soon. One day I'll go back for the P.h.D, but that's later. My dad never finished college.

So, my perspective was complicated about my dad. I loved him of course. But what I found was that he was very selfish. He could handle the beer and driving and other things. But he couldn't handle a family. I suppose that he didn't want to put up with the normal daily activities that made a family and preferred to ignore them and used(s) beer as his substitute. He was selfish also because beer became more important than food; and with 2 young children plus a wife nothing should take food from the table. He was by far more important than any of us, and while he claimed to love us, his actions betrayed him.

Well, I realize your situation is different. No two are alike. I just saw a little of my father in your post and wanted to comment. There is much more that I could have said, but it's best not put in public. So, I'm sure you're a fine guy and take care of your responsibilities. You may not even drink to escape. But consider that when people have an affliction like you do, it may be covering up something else. You may perceive no problems, but take it from me they could be there.

Like you said about snickers and the other stuff, those are problems too. At least you realize there is something. I'm not sure to this day my dad realizes what he's done to himself. Currently he lives alone with no significant other drinks himself more every day into solitude.

EvilEye
2007-Apr-15, 03:22 PM
Crosscounty:

Thank you.

I was just being honest on a board where it seems most people are open minded, and you have shown it to be true.

I will assure you that I am only bad to myself. I love my children and would never put them in harm's way.

I am a divorced father (had nothing to do with drinking) of 2 and have a stepdaughter now as well, and they would all tell you how much they love me.

I instilled (not distilled - just kidding) in them the proper values to make sure they don't repeat my original mistakes.

I am there for them when they need me, and they know how much I love them. They DO see it, and I don't hide it. But they've never been subject to any effects of it. Maybe one day they will will my liver or kidneys give up, and for that I am sorry.

I'm not defending what I do. I just do it.

Everyone handles it differently.

You have shown love in your post to me (this wasn't my thread by the way), and it is acknowleged and appreciated.

I am sorry it hurt you to see your father like that. My children have never seen me "blitzed" or do anything out of the ordinary, because I don't.

My only side effect is that I may die early because of it. I'm not really in any hurry to live longer than it takes to see my kids grow up anyway. Sad? possibly, but that's just how I feel.

I'm a very very hard worker, and I do everything I can for everyone else... I just enjoy my beer. Simple as that. I don't ask for anything else.

Gillianren
2007-Apr-15, 09:49 PM
My only side effect is that I may die early because of it. I'm not really in any hurry to live longer than it takes to see my kids grow up anyway. Sad? possibly, but that's just how I feel.

Your kids may feel differently about it.

And I don't just mean--though it's certainly true--that they may see effects that you don't. I would be surprised if they didn't. However, that's not the point.

The point is, my dad died when I was six, when he was 44. It devastated me, and I'm still feeling the psychological effects. My best friend from high school had his father die when he was fifteen (I don't remember how old his father was), and it seriously messed up his emotional state, causing him to make choices that he never would have considered had his father not died.

Your kids may--if you aren't horribly unlucky, do--want you to live longer. Heck, my grandmother just died about a year and a half ago, and my mother was pretty sad about it even though it meant Grandma was out of pain and no longer having her brain slowly deteriorate.

Whirlpool
2007-Apr-16, 01:31 AM
I swear that sounds like the beginning of a really cool song.... ;)

I got that from Lonewulf. I'm not sure if this came from a song. I'm not familiar with it, BUT I like the thought, its True to me.

:p

EvilEye
2007-Apr-16, 02:44 AM
Your kids may feel differently about it.

And I don't just mean--though it's certainly true--that they may see effects that you don't. I would be surprised if they didn't. However, that's not the point.

The point is, my dad died when I was six, when he was 44. It devastated me, and I'm still feeling the psychological effects. My best friend from high school had his father die when he was fifteen (I don't remember how old his father was), and it seriously messed up his emotional state, causing him to make choices that he never would have considered had his father not died.

Your kids may--if you aren't horribly unlucky, do--want you to live longer. Heck, my grandmother just died about a year and a half ago, and my mother was pretty sad about it even though it meant Grandma was out of pain and no longer having her brain slowly deteriorate.

I just got done watching "American History X" for about the 33rd time, and although it really has nothing to do with this subject, it does have to do with seeing yourself in a different light.

I think I'm going to try to change so my kids don't become Edward Furlong's character (in the context of this thread).

It's not too late.

Thank you so much.

Gillianren
2007-Apr-16, 03:06 AM
I just got done watching "American History X" for about the 33rd time, and although it really has nothing to do with this subject, it does have to do with seeing yourself in a different light.

I think I'm going to try to change so my kids don't become Edward Furlong's character (in the context of this thread).

It's not too late.

Thank you so much.

You're very welcome; it makes me very happy when the benefit of my experience is actually useful. (And it could be worse; your kids could just turn out to be Edward Furlong--with whom I went to junior high.)

foreignkid
2007-Apr-16, 03:22 AM
It's not too late.
Thank you so much.

Wow! This is what Forums should be used for. So much of these, however are dedicated to throwing insults, talking down to other people, and just being a mean community (to put it in the mildest terms). It gives me hope to see that this kind of interaction is still possible. Thank you, BAUT!!

Maksutov
2007-Apr-16, 07:02 AM
I recall a Saturday night out when I was a freshman. No luck with the townies, so we found ourselves in a bar with some farmers who were choosing between the 15¢ beer and the preztel barrel.

When time was called we all headed back to the dorm, which was up a rather steep hill. At one point I asked Bob "Where's Kremer?" To which Bob didn't know, so we turned around and saw Kremer trying to stay on his feet while kaputzing down the hill. He then found a telephone pole.

At the entrance to the dorm, as we carried Kremer in, I announced "All four reported sir, plus one wounded."