PDA

View Full Version : Canon 400D mirror lockup using RemoteCapture?

clop
2007-Apr-08, 12:35 AM
Hi everyone,

I own a Canon 300D (Digital Rebel), which I use for astrophotography. My usual technique is to use the bundled RemoteCapture software to automatically take a whole bunch of 30 second exposures, and then use IRIS to stack them.

Mirror slap can cause terrible vibration when shooting at prime focus, so I installed the "Russian" firmware hack that allows mirror lockup, and also allows you to set the delay. Everything is so easy. I acquire a target, focus, then leave RemoteCapture running for an hour.

Recently I have been thinking of upgrading my camera, and I have my eye on the 400D. The resolution is better, the CMOS sensor is better, the screen is better, the download speed is 8 times faster, and it has mirror lockup facility included in the firmware.

I tried it out in the shop and noticed that the mirror lockup mode is different to that on my 300D. For a start it doesn't seem possible to set the delay on the 400D. Also, with the 300D you only need to press the shutter button once, whereas with the 400D you need to press the shutter button twice - once to lock the mirror, and again to release the shutter. This makes me worry about whether it will be possible to use the mirror lockup facility when shooting with RemoteCapture. The guy in the shop couldn't tell me.

Does anyone own a 400D? Can you use the mirror lockup facility with RemoteCapture like you can with the 300D? If not, how do you prevent mirror slap vibration? Is there a 400D hack?

Many thanks,

clop

Ingo
2007-Apr-08, 06:17 PM
The 400D should be the same exact software as the 300D and 350D with some little tweaks like the dust removal that doesn't actually work.

Mirror slap isn't really that bad, I put my Nikons on my crappy tripod and take shots, there's no vibrations and the mirror slapping on the Nikons are far worse than on my 350D. You probably shouldn't even have to worry about it. If it is a worry on the 400D, i'm almost 100% certian it works the same, if not better than the 300D, or 350D.

I was looking at buying a 400D, but having no ISO3200 disappointed me, and the dust removal tests showed that after 22 tests, it didn't do anything but move 3 pieces of dust around. All camera manufacturers dust removal doesn't actually work.

The 300D, there's a hack to use ISO3200.

Sorry I couldn't help a lot, but I tried :razz:

clop
2007-Apr-09, 12:28 AM
The 400D should be the same exact software as the 300D and 350D with some little tweaks like the dust removal that doesn't actually work.

Mirror slap isn't really that bad, I put my Nikons on my crappy tripod and take shots, there's no vibrations and the mirror slapping on the Nikons are far worse than on my 350D. You probably shouldn't even have to worry about it. If it is a worry on the 400D, i'm almost 100% certian it works the same, if not better than the 300D, or 350D.

I was looking at buying a 400D, but having no ISO3200 disappointed me, and the dust removal tests showed that after 22 tests, it didn't do anything but move 3 pieces of dust around. All camera manufacturers dust removal doesn't actually work.

The 300D, there's a hack to use ISO3200.

Sorry I couldn't help a lot, but I tried :razz:

Thanks Ingo. I agree with you that mirror slap won't affect normal tripod shots where you're using a 50-200mm lens, but when you've got the camera mounted at the prime focus of a telescope with a focal length of two metres things get a bit more sensitive.

Does anyone own a 400D?

clop

Ingo
2007-Apr-09, 02:14 AM
Thanks Ingo. I agree with you that mirror slap won't affect normal tripod shots where you're using a 50-200mm lens, but when you've got the camera mounted at the prime focus of a telescope with a focal length of two metres things get a bit more sensitive.

Does anyone own a 400D?

clop

Ahh yeah, mounting it to a telescope could very well change things a bit :D

I know when just looking at the moon in my scope, if the wind blows the slightest, it moves and shakes like crazy. Mounting it on a huge scope shouldn't do anything though.

I can't really help you with the mirror lockup anymore, I've asked people who are very big photographers and use 5D's and 1Ds's and they couldn't help me.

Sorry :doh: