PDA

View Full Version : Bedbugs

sarongsong
2007-Apr-09, 05:33 PM
"Oh, no, Mr. Bill!"
April 8, 2007
...Nearly eradicated in the United States 50 years ago, resistant strains of "super" bedbugs are infesting mattresses at an alarming rate. In what's being touted as the biggest mystery in entomology, all 50 states are reporting outbreaks of the blood-sucking nocturnal critters... SF Gate (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/04/08/MNGIDP4V7K1.DTL)

Peter Wilson
2007-Apr-09, 06:22 PM
:eek:

Doodler
2007-Apr-09, 06:29 PM
Bed bugs were eradicated in the US years ago. Say what you will about DDT's health effects, the stuff worked as advertised. Illegal immigration's being fingered as the culprit for their major return.

mugaliens
2007-Apr-09, 06:43 PM
Great - as if I don't get enough sleep sleep already...

DDT was safe and effective, and the suppression of it's use is responsible for for the death of approximately 60 Million children since the 1950s.

Fortunately, rationality has slowly prevailed, and it's use is being phased back in where it's most needed.

tofu
2007-Apr-09, 07:27 PM
So, you would spray DDT in your house??

Kwalish Kid
2007-Apr-09, 07:33 PM

DDT was safe and effective, and the suppression of it's use is responsible for for the death of approximately 60 Million children since the 1950s.

Fortunately, rationality has slowly prevailed, and it's use is being phased back in where it's most needed.
I'd like to see a source for this.

Of course, one can look at, say, the claims on this matter from global warming denier and former tobacco company science lobbyist Milloy from junkscience.com. Even in the fine print of his site, however, he admits that numbers like these are exaggerated.

An actual study of something like malaria, which used to see an impact from DDT, will reveal that DDT has not been banned as a pesticide for such a use. DDT is only banned, where it is banned, from agricultural use. In many places, DDT resistant mosquitoes have evolved, making the use of DDT pointless.

korjik
2007-Apr-09, 07:36 PM
So, you would spray DDT in your house??

I've seen films of DDT being sprayed on kids in a pool. Short of drinking the stuff, it is harmless.

Please also recall that DDT was banned for the supossed effects on animals, not humans.

tofu
2007-Apr-09, 09:13 PM
the supossed effects on animals, not humans.

good thing humans aren't animals! ;)

I'd like to see a source for this.

http://www.reason.com/news/show/34823.html

sarongsong
2007-Apr-09, 10:12 PM
Might not matter:
...Bedbugs are resistant to DDT, but are irritated by it, making them more active... Fighting Malaria (http://www.fightingmalaria.org/faq.aspx)

..samples taken of the bugs in North America and Europe show that the bug that is spreading is the common temperate bed bug, and thus not an import brought to our pristine shores by unsanitary immigrants (the exception here is Australia, where infestations of tropical bed bugs have been discovered)... Portland Independent Media (http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2006/12/350785.shtml)

Doodler
2007-Apr-09, 10:13 PM
Yummy...

Antice
2007-Apr-09, 10:23 PM
those critter's are gross.
I'd burn the bed and get me a new one rater quick.

korjik
2007-Apr-09, 10:31 PM
good thing humans aren't animals! ;)

The main arguement was eggshell thinning in birds. Last I checked, that wasnt a problem for people

HenrikOlsen
2007-Apr-10, 12:41 AM
Except for those of us who rather like birds.

Ronald Brak
2007-Apr-10, 02:31 AM
DDT is banned/suppressed? When did this happen? In most countries DDT is reserved for public health measures and not agricultural use so that insects won't develop resistance to it. This is so disease carring insects can be more easily erradicated or controlled. In parts of Asia where DDT was used for agriculture over an extended period there have been problems with resistant mosquitoes. So perhaps one could say that some countries have banned DDT use for agricultural use, but there has never been a straight ban on DDT that I'm aware of.

Damien Evans
2007-Apr-10, 04:25 AM

tell that to the peregrine falcon, which was almost wiped out by DDT

Doodler
2007-Apr-10, 12:46 PM
tell that to the peregrine falcon, which was almost wiped out by DDT

Humans > birds

Welcome to Earth.

One Skunk Todd
2007-Apr-10, 01:09 PM
Humans > birds

Until the wing falls off your airplane. :P

Damien Evans
2007-Apr-10, 02:14 PM

LOL

Damien Evans
2007-Apr-10, 02:16 PM
Humans > birds

Welcome to Earth.

i'm not trying to say otherwise, i'm just pointing out that DDT is not good for everything and it does have some pretty major problems

torque of the town
2007-Apr-11, 09:16 AM

Bed Bugs to metal fatigue.....

How many forums can make that leap:think: