PDA

View Full Version : Imus in the Mourning

Maksutov
2007-Apr-11, 10:08 PM
For two weeks, at least. (http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSN1128303020070411)

It strikes me that what he said is mild compared to what one hears from rap "artists",; in fact what I was just subjected to at a local strip mall by a couple idiots with their 120dB brain blender in a customized SUV would make what old Don said seem like an excerpt from a nursery rhyme.

On a side note, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's getting tired of audio assaults when visiting public places.

Matherly
2007-Apr-11, 10:24 PM
It strikes me that what he said is mild compared to what one hears from rap "artists",;

Which, of course, doesn't make what Imus said any more acceptable.

As for "audio assaults", I have long been a proponent of the used of rocket propelled grenades upon anyone who radio is turn too loud :)

Nowhere Man
2007-Apr-11, 10:51 PM
Ah, but he's a white male, so he can't be allowed to get away with it.

But, all else being equal, were he black, what might have happened?

Fred

mike alexander
2007-Apr-11, 10:56 PM
I'm pretty sure the Law of Conservation of Dudgeon is operating here.

Maksutov
2007-Apr-11, 10:57 PM
Which, of course, doesn't make what Imus said any more acceptable.True, but you don't see various corporate sponsors pulling their contracts from the various rap "artists", so all things being equal that shouldn't be happening to Imus either.
As for "audio assaults", I have long been a proponent of the used of rocket propelled grenades upon anyone who radio is turn too loud :)Brother, can you spare a grenade?

http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/boese/e065.gif

Lord Jubjub
2007-Apr-11, 11:44 PM
Imus has been insulting just about everyone for many years. I think what really set people off this time was that the target was a women's basketball team, not politicians or celebrities.

sarongsong
2007-Apr-11, 11:55 PM
MSNBC just announced no more TV coverage of his radio show, due to fleeing sponsors. Hooray!

EvilEye
2007-Apr-12, 12:07 AM
The validity of how bad what Imus said is in the fact that it created a topic.

Today on the radio station I usually listen to, the white host and black co-host got into it because it was the topic. Regardless of their positions on it.. the fact that they both walked out on the show is proof enough that it is a valid problem that needs to be addressed.

It will never be solved until both sides of any two races, or religions or anything else, learn that no one is ever going to feel what they feel, accept it and move on.

This same argument works with men and women too... but the argument doesn't get as heated.

I may ONLY be percieved as racist or bigoted, when in fact I was trying to understand... but the question alone was hurtful to the other person.

Celestial Mechanic
2007-Apr-12, 04:55 AM
Imus's biggest mistake was seeking absolution from Al Sharpton. He should have gone to Jesse Jackson, someone who has been there and done that! :doh:

Jay Leno said it best last night: "Al Sharpton has a radio show?"

Doodler
2007-Apr-12, 04:03 PM
Ah, but he's a white male, so he can't be allowed to get away with it.

But, all else being equal, were he black, what might have happened?

Fred

Heh, CNN carried a video of interviews with black women who use the term "ho" amongst themselves who said Imus was out of line.

If Imus were black, not a damned thing. Hypocracy at its finest.

Doodler
2007-Apr-12, 04:05 PM
Imus's biggest mistake was seeking absolution from Al Sharpton. He should have gone to Jesse Jackson, someone who has been there and done that! :doh:

Jay Leno said it best last night: "Al Sharpton has a radio show?"

Jesse Jackson is somewhere in Al Sharpton's realm of worthless rabblerousing hack after his remark about a triage center in New Orleans during the Katrina aftermath resembled a slave ship.

Not one of them is out for equality, they're looking to get ahead on white guilt. The time has come to cut off the funding for guilt trips.

farmerjumperdon
2007-Apr-12, 04:10 PM
Imus has been insulting just about everyone for many years. I think what really set people off this time was that the target was a women's basketball team, not politicians or celebrities.

Agreed. Such a disparaging comment about a group of young women playing for a national chamionship. It would be different if he was giving the business to a bunch of hookers turning tricks on the corner. That is what it is. But to aim it at a premier group of college athletes is absurd.

I will be the first to call a loser a loser. That is not what he did. His comments were baseless, crass, rascist, sexist, etc.

The real shame is that he has a following. The rules of supply and demand would indicate there are a lot of ignorant people in this world.

publius
2007-Apr-12, 04:12 PM
Speaking of Al Sharpton, and also of false rape charges with strong racial motivations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawana_Brawley

People need to be reminded of that when Sharpton starts morally pontificating.

-Richard

Fazor
2007-Apr-12, 04:14 PM
Hmm... To steer away from the racial issue inherent with this conversation, I'll just say how tired I am of hearing about this. Imus was wrong to say what he said, but he has the right to say it. As a professional he should have known the implications. [edit: poor choice of words, should be "ramifications".]

Thing is, I think he did. Now everyone is talking about him. He doesn't care if they hate him or love him, but everyone knows his name. As for the Rutger's women; I think it's pretty obvious they're playing the whole thing up, and not to see "justice" but for the publicity. I mean, it's Women's basketball. I'm an average sports fan; I can talk about baseball, college mens Ball, college or pro football, whatever. But I didn't even know who made it to the women's championship because frankly I don't care. Now I know, but only because of this Imus thing.

Again I think it's just another example of the media choosing what to sensationalize, and the ridiculous but sadly effective way the public is fooled into thinking these advertising campaigns are actual news.

Peter Wilson
2007-Apr-12, 06:03 PM
Most of what I know about talk radio comes from overhearing Tom Likus (sp) on the radios at work...he has quite a following "'mongst the men."

In the snippets I hear, all Tom does is put-down and insult women. :clap: That's it. Entiely 1-dimensional. That's where his show begins and ends: puttin' down women so the men in the audience with frail egos will feel better about themselves. He's got a gift for it, and he's apparently doing quite well for himself, Thank you, doing nothing but providing this vital service for the community.

Never heard Imus' show, but I'm tempted to admit I'm a little unclear on just what "line" it was he crossed in insulting the ladies BB team. Nonetheless, I don't want anyone accusing me of "just not getting it," so I'll go with crowd and say,

Imus was way off-base and deserves to be fired!

:shifty:

GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter
2007-Apr-12, 07:47 PM
Most of what I know about talk radio comes from overhearing Tom Likus (sp) on the radios at work...he has quite a following "'mongst the men."

You have my sympathy. Being forced to listen to "Combover Boy" is a fate not worth contemplating.

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Apr-12, 08:12 PM
Er, I'm actually having difficulty seeing how this could even be construed as racist at all. I can see sexist (though I don't agree that it is), but why racist?

Now, I agree that Imus was crass, rude, and boorish, but how was he racist? I'm genuinely curious.

Fazor
2007-Apr-12, 08:18 PM
Er, I'm actually having difficulty seeing how this could even be construed as racist at all. I can see sexist (though I don't agree that it is), but why racist?

Now, I agree that Imus was crass, rude, and boorish, but how was he racist? I'm genuinely curious.

Well, the first part of his statement is a stereotype of blacks, the second (and IMHO worse part) is the part that's sexest. But you don't see the women's right's people up in arms. But, as i stated earlier, I think it's fairly obvious that this is all just one big publicity stunt for both sides involved.

To get recognized you can do one of two things: 1) do your job soo well that everyone looks to you as a pillar in your respective field (lots of hard work, and talent needed) or 2) do something so outlandish/outragous that everyone talks about you for it (easy to do)

I have no respect for those who take the second option.

Doodler
2007-Apr-12, 08:27 PM
Well, the first part of his statement is a stereotype of blacks, the second (and IMHO worse part) is the part that's sexest. But you don't see the women's right's people up in arms. But, as i stated earlier, I think it's fairly obvious that this is all just one big publicity stunt for both sides involved.

To get recognized you can do one of two things: 1) do your job soo well that everyone looks to you as a pillar in your respective field (lots of hard work, and talent needed) or 2) do something so outlandish/outragous that everyone talks about you for it (easy to do)

I have no respect for those who take the second option.

Boring world you live in.

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Apr-12, 08:50 PM
Well, the first part of his statement is a stereotype of blacks, the second (and IMHO worse part) is the part that's sexest.

Oh. I wasn't aware that the first half of the comment had any racial undertones at all. I thought he was just insulting the way that these specific women's hair looked.

:wall:

Thank you kindly.

2007-Apr-12, 09:14 PM
CBS Radio Network: Mr. Imus, your services are no longer required.

CBS News Public Eye blog (http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2007/04/12/publiceye/entry2678036.shtml):

CBS today announced its decision to cease broadcasting the Imus in the Morning radio program, effective immediately, on a permanent basis.

Gillianren
2007-Apr-12, 09:15 PM
Oh. I wasn't aware that the first half of the comment had any racial undertones at all. I thought he was just insulting the way that these specific women's hair looked.

:wall:

Thank you kindly.

The second part's kind of racist by implication, too--a white woman is seldom a "ho"; she's a hooker or a whore, but "ho" tends to imply black.

From a female perspective, I have a real problem with calling any woman who isn't one a prostitute, regardless of what word you use. There's an implication behind it that selling one's body is a woman's only route to power and money. And while, frankly, being a professional athlete, male or female, is selling your body, albeit for different services, that's also not how most people think of it.

Celestial Mechanic
2007-Apr-12, 09:21 PM
A purely rhetorical question:

As a society, we pay certain people (Imus, Howard Stern, Mancow, et al) to shock and titillate us. Why do we act surprised when they succeed? :think:

Doodler
2007-Apr-12, 09:26 PM

As a society, we pay certain people (Imus, Howard Stern, Mancow, et al) to shock and titillate us. Why do we act surprised when they succeed? :think:

Because they're really not supposed to do what we pay them to do, that's too mean...:lol:

Peter Wilson
2007-Apr-12, 09:48 PM

That's kinda my point, perhaps expressed a little more clearly...

SeanF
2007-Apr-12, 10:04 PM
Ah, no, I think it's only those bourgeois prudes who are supposed to be shocked. Imus, et al, are paid to shock "them," not "us." :)

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Apr-12, 10:52 PM
From a female perspective, I have a real problem with calling any woman who isn't one a prostitute, regardless of what word you use. There's an implication behind it that selling one's body is a woman's only route to power and money. And while, frankly, being a professional athlete, male or female, is selling your body, albeit for different services, that's also not how most people think of it.

Oh, I agree. Bad form. It's as vulgar as you could believe. I still don't see it as sexist (but I do see how it could be construed that way).

mugaliens
2007-Apr-12, 11:04 PM
For two weeks, at least. (http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSN1128303020070411)

It strikes me that what he said is mild compared to what one hears from rap "artists",; in fact what I was just subjected to at a local strip mall by a couple idiots with their 120dB brain blender in a customized SUV would make what old Don said seem like an excerpt from a nursery rhyme.

On a side note, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's getting tired of audio assaults when visiting public places.

Definately! That's why earbuds were developed... In other words, TTSO...

As for getting tired of hearing the slips of tongue, I'm perhaps more tired of the self-appointed leaders of various races, faiths, and other distinguishing criteria, who demand repeated apologies, step-downs, public humiliation, etc., for those who carelessly disparaged their own or another group.

I've actually noticed a backlash among members of some of these communities, particular the ones in their late teens and throughout their twenties. Many have crossed the line and are actually parodying and laughing at both the slips of tongue and the self-righteous indignation of the responses of those self-appointed community leaders.

I find that rather interesting at how much many people from various groups are distancing themselves from the over-reactions of the most indignent and outspoken of those groups. It's almost as if people are thinking, "dude, we're there. Who cares if someone says the wrong thing once in a while? People see those people for who they are."

sarongsong
2007-Apr-12, 11:21 PM
CBS Radio Network: Mr. Imus, your services are no longer required...Gee, wonder what the weekly Unemployment Insurance payout is on a $10M annual salary?

Gillianren
2007-Apr-13, 12:13 AM
Gee, wonder what the weekly Unemployment Insurance payout is on a $10M annual salary?

In Washington State, he wouldn't qualify, since this would be considered "firing for cause" as far as I know.

Trebuchet
2007-Apr-13, 04:18 AM
He's old enough for Social Security! Perhaps he'll try to live on it.

Maksutov
2007-Apr-15, 06:21 AM
At least he has an attack by Condi (http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/04/14/rice-imus.ap/index.html)to add to his resume.

Back to the ranch for a while it seems.

mugaliens
2007-Apr-15, 08:38 PM

Nothing a bullet couldn't cure...

Of course, there's usually some jail time associate with such extreme actions...

Doodler
2007-Apr-17, 02:08 PM
Nothing a bullet couldn't cure...

Of course, there's usually some jail time associate with such extreme actions...

Personally, I look at idiots in those ghetto rigs and shake my head a bit. Most of them probably spend more on that retardmobile than they do their own place of residence. Driving down the streets of some of the rougher neighborhoods, you see places that look like downtown Beirut with these endless lines of utterly pristine tricked out vehicles.

I'm never sure whether I should laugh or cry.

Noclevername
2007-Apr-19, 02:55 AM
The rules of supply and demand would indicate there are a lot of ignorant people in this world.

I could have told you that years ago. If ignorance could be burned, we'd have an endless fuel supply.

What really gets me is how many people are proud of there ignorance, want to hold on to it with both hands, and want to pass it on to their kids (or, if they had their way, everyone's kids). One loudmouth on the radio is not the real problem, the thousands of learning-proof listeners are.

publius
2007-May-03, 11:41 PM
Imus may get the last laugh. He's going to sue CBS for breech of contract. It seems there was a clause in that contract where CBS acknowledged that the Imus show had controversial content, and furthermore that they *desired* that controversial content.

-Richard

Maksutov
2007-May-04, 10:27 AM
Imus may get the last laugh. He's going to sue CBS for breech of contract....Sounds like he has a leg to stand on then...

Doodler
2007-May-04, 01:40 PM
Imus may get the last laugh. He's going to sue CBS for breech of contract. It seems there was a clause in that contract where CBS acknowledged that the Imus show had controversial content, and furthermore that they *desired* that controversial content.

-Richard

breach

Definitely a leg to stand on while firmly planting the other leg right up against CBS's kiester.

Should be rather amusing.

SeanF
2007-May-04, 01:56 PM

-Richard
It's more than that.

Apparently, there was a clause in his contract that guaranteed him a warning before being fired. I think - assuming it's true, and assuming CBS can't show that a previous warning was issued - that this clause will cause CBS even more trouble than the "controversial content" clause, since it's a little less open to interpretation.

Gmann
2007-May-04, 02:45 PM
All one has to do is to Google Al Sharpton and read the "Wikipedia" page, and try not to shake your head too hard. This guy is amazing. He must be made of teflon, considering the number of causes he has jumped on, and later slid off when it was discovered that; Tawana Brawley was not raped, the Duke Univ. LaCrosse players were acquited, the loan Co. he was hawking was ripping off Black customers, etc.. Read for yourself. I would still like to know which Church he actually preaches at these days? Anything else I would have to say about this "man", would get me banned not only from here, but probably from any "KKK" board on the 'net. They would claim that I was being too hard on him. This guy is a "poverty pimp", who plays to a certain audience, and not the mainstream "I work for what I have" Black population, whose main concern is "will my lawn green up after this late season freeze we just had? how about the the other flowering plants, will they make it?"

Many of my Black friends and neighbors hate him with a passion. They say that he, and others like him are what is holding the Black community back.

farmerjumperdon
2007-May-04, 05:39 PM
Imus and Sharpton are 2 shades of the same scum. Imus makes a living thru insulting people and the propogation of ignorance; Sharpton makes a living being a phony superhero to people who either 1) really need a bonafide hero or 2) need to get off their keister and help themselves.

They are both bottom feeders that prey on people who are either too ignorant, or too lazy, or truly unable to help themselves.

They deserve each other, and the fact that either one took the other down bothers me not one bit. To me it is not about freedoms or liberty or anything else so grand, it is one scumbag beating up another. I'm OK with that. In fact, I like it and want more of the same.

I think in taking down Imus, Sharpton has earned a shot at the title and we should have a big Main Event where we get to see him and Limbaugh in a cage match for all the marbles.