PDA

View Full Version : NHL Playoffs '07

Parrothead
2007-Apr-11, 10:45 PM
Puck drops this evening in the run for the Cup.

For me the two match-ups to watch in the first round are Ottawa-Pittsburgh and Vancouver-Dallas. I believe these are going to be hard fought, close battles.

East matchups:

(1)Buffalo vs (8)NYI - Buffalo in 6. Isles will steal 2.
(2) Atlanta vs (7)NYR - Thrashers in 7.
(3)NJ vs (6)Tampa Bay - Jersey in 5.
(4)Ottawa vs (5)Pittsburgh - Hate going against a Canadian team, but Pens in 7.

West matchups:

(1)Detroit vs (8)Calgary - Calgary in 6. Hasek vs Kiprusoff, a battle of goalies.
(2)Anaheim vs (7)Minnesota - Minnesota had a heck of a finish to the season. Wild in 7.
(3)Dallas vs (6)Vancouver - Should be a heck of a battle, Vancouver in 7.
(4)Nashville vs (5)San Jose - I should pick Nashville, as they have collected much of the revenue sharing funds, which the Leafs paid into ;) Another hard fought battle, San Jose in 6.

Decisions, decisions, the playoff television schedules for Round 1:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stanleycup2007/tvschedule-rd1.html

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=684

I see channel hopping in my future. ;) :D

Parrothead
2007-Apr-12, 01:44 PM
Ok, replying to self, here. There'e got to be more hockey fans around, c'mon. What a start to the playoffs!

Pittsburgh @ Ottawa: Ottawa out played Pittsburgh in all aspects and won easily 6-3. It ended with many hard hits and a chippy attitude. Should make for a good game 2, Saturday afternoon. (Why does NBC think Sat. afternoon is a good time, to air a hockey game?)

SJ @ Nashville: A great matchup which was settled almost midway through 2 OT. Sharks lost Cheechoo through an unintentional knee-on-knee hit in the 2nd period of play. Sharks' Rissmiller scores at 8:14, 2OT.

Minnesota @ Anaheim: A close game, Anaheim scores with just under 5 minutes left and hangs on to win it, 2-1.

Dallas @ Vancouver: A marathon match. Tied at 4 at the end of regulation, these two teams play until 18:06 of 4OT, to settle it. Being in the eastern time zone, I was fighting to stay awake watching this. By 2OT, I was drifting off, waking from time to time. The game ended shortly after 3:30 am EDT, Henrik Sedin scoring with 1:54, remaining in 4OT. Canucks win the game 5-4. Luongo in his first playoff start, stops 72 of 76 shots for the win.

What a start to the playoffs! :) :) :)

Islanders @ Buffalo, Tampa Bay @ NJ, NYR @ Atlanta and Calgary @ Detroit go tonight.

teddyv
2007-Apr-12, 02:20 PM
Nucks fan here. That indeed was a marathon last night.

Dallas definitely played a better game and probably deserved the win, but we'll take. It looked like everyone was skating in concrete by the third OT.

I've got tickets to game 2 on Friday. Maybe I'll bring a pillow.

Fazor
2007-Apr-12, 02:38 PM
Ok, replying to self, here. There'e got to be more hockey fans around, c'mon. What a start to the playoffs!

Well, I live in Columbus. Our professional hockey season ends within a month of the season opener. :wall:

I love going to hockey games but can't afford to on the professional level. When the Jackets came in our AA (or was it AAA?) club moved out. And as for watching the games on tv; hockey just isn't the same televised. I can't stand watching it on tv. But it's probably my favore sport to watch in person (perhaps tied with baseball, which I also don't like watching on tv. go figure).

Maksutov
2007-Apr-23, 06:44 AM
How ironically appropriate that the Flames coach's name is "Playfair"!

http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/sportlich/b030.gif

Meanwhile, how 'bout them Rangers?

LurchGS
2007-Apr-24, 03:58 AM
Well, since (as usual) the Blackhawks have gone home, and even their substitute in my affections (the Avs) have chose to sit out this year, I'm pretty much out of the loop.

peter eldergill
2007-Apr-24, 12:46 PM
Too much beer during hockey playoffs makes me forget that I can post! Go Sens! (You were a bit off on that one...also the Rangers!)

Pete

Parrothead
2007-Apr-24, 06:05 PM
Second round match-ups:

Buffalo vs. NYR: Go Sabres!

Ottawa vs. NJ: Go Sens!

Anaheim vs Vancover: Go 'Nucks!

Detroit vs San Jose: Go Sharks!

Hmmm, thinking ahead, how upset would Bettman be with a Vancouver vs Ottawa Cup final? (I have probably jinxed the Canadian teams now) ;)

Click Ticker
2007-Apr-24, 06:57 PM
Second round match-ups:

Buffalo vs. NYR: Go Sabres!

Ottawa vs. NJ: Go Sens!

Anaheim vs Vancover: Go 'Nucks!

Detroit vs San Jose: Go Sharks!

Hmmm, thinking ahead, how upset would Bettman be with a Vancouver vs Ottawa Cup final? (I have probably jinxed the Canadian teams now) ;)

Come on, man! This is the second straight series you've picked against the Wings. Where's the love for the 'D'?

I know they're the Yankees of the NHL - but there's a cap in place now and they still win. So they blew it against Edmonton last year - this is a new year and we've got The Dominator between the pipes! I didn't know they could use walkers on ice, but whatever it takes.

jrkeller
2007-Apr-24, 09:57 PM
Come on, man! This is the second straight series you've picked against the Wings. Where's the love for the 'D'?

I know they're the Yankees of the NHL

You obviously didn't live through the Dead Wing Years, mid 60s through mid 80s. They were almost always at the bottom.

Pinemarten
2007-Apr-24, 10:14 PM
Edmonton fan, now Canadian for the finals.

Vancouver.
Ottawa.

Vancouver!
Ottawa!

Vancouver!!!!
Ottawa!!!!

VANCOUVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OTTAWA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This post has degenerated into a heated pointless argument, that may have political and religious undertones and therefore is now closed.

Click Ticker
2007-Apr-25, 01:26 PM
You obviously didn't live through the Dead Wing Years, mid 60s through mid 80s. They were almost always at the bottom.

I did. Mostly 80's - but at least at that time we had Yzerman and there was hope.

I also survived the "Teal" era of the Pistons and the previous 14 years or so of the Tigers. Then there are the Lions for which there is no hope, but at least we were able to enjoy Barry for a while.

Parrothead
2007-Apr-25, 06:44 PM
I did. Mostly 80's - but at least at that time we had Yzerman and there was hope.

I also survived the "Teal" era of the Pistons and the previous 14 years or so of the Tigers. Then there are the Lions for which there is no hope, but at least we were able to enjoy Barry for a while.

A die-hard Leafs fan here. They had a nice celebration in March honouring the '67 Leafs. Nice ceremony, nice to see many of the players from that team, but it also came across as celebrating 40 years of futility. ;)

Fazor
2007-Apr-25, 08:18 PM

Being a Cleveland fan, I can definately identify with anyone that's had to spend time watching the Lions and the Tigers (and the Bears? Oh my, it's time to rename you're BBall or Hockey team ;)). Cleveland doesn't have a hockey team, but Columbus does. And it would sure fit in in Cleveland.

At least the Indians are doing good (even after an embarrasing series in NY). And apparently the Cav's are still in it, tho I don't follow NBA.

Click Ticker
2007-May-07, 05:12 PM
I am posting this with the full knowledge that they could just as easily lose the next two.

How's that Wings prediction looking? Up 3 - 2 with two chances to close it out. Not bad. My teams all thrive when the expectations are the lowest.

For Fazor: The Detroit Pistons name dates back to when they were the Ft. Wayne Zollner Pistons owned by Fred Zollner. They obviously played int Ft. Wayne, Indiana at the time. Fred moved the team to Detroit in the 1950's - but the Pistons name still fit (automotive capital and all). The reason they were first named the Pistons was because Zollner owned a Piston manufacturing company.

Don't ask me how the name "Jazz" survived the franchise move from New Orleans to Salt Lake City, Utah.

Pinemarten
2007-May-07, 09:22 PM
I have settled down since this post:

http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=974610&postcount=11

Ottawa vs the Ducks.
The team that beats Vancouver usually makes the final series.

Maksutov
2007-May-08, 01:49 AM
Devils: GONE!

Rangers: GONE!

Neidermeyer: GONE!

Dean Wormer: GONE!

(sorry, I was on a roll...)

Go Red Wings!

Maksutov
2007-May-08, 01:51 AM
[edit]Don't ask me how the name "Jazz" survived the franchise move from New Orleans to Salt Lake City, Utah.That's no problem. They play Utah "Jazz" every time you take an elevator.

peter eldergill
2007-May-08, 01:30 PM
Go Sens GO!

This'll be a great series: Ottawa/Buffalo

My 100 % accurate prediction (satisfaction "guaranteed"!): Ottawa in 7

Pete

Click Ticker
2007-May-08, 04:49 PM
Red Wings completed their second consecutive upset in the minds of many. Not bad for the winners of the Presidents cup.

Next!

Parrothead
2007-May-08, 06:20 PM
Yeah, but Buffalo won the President's Cup this year. ;)

Detroit is a talented team, no doubt. My problem, from what little I've seen of them the past number of years (after the Leafs moved back into the Eastern Conference), is their style of play is boring to watch.

Buffalo-Ottawa should be a great series, I'd like to see the winner of that series win the Stanley Cup. :)

Click Ticker
2007-May-17, 12:54 PM
Just wanted to bump the thread.

I believe Buffulo and Detroit had the same number of points this year. Buffulo got the tie breaker by virtue of total wins.

Either way - Detroit appears to be sitting quite well in this series. Up two games to one with arguably the most important player for Anaheim suspended for game 4.

Detroit vs. Ottawa for the cup.

Parrothead
2007-May-17, 02:55 PM
I was reading an article yesterday, which pointed out from 1927 (when the NHL started officially playing for the Stanley Cup) through 1997, each time the year ended with a 7, either a Canadian team or Detroit has won the Cup.

Buffalo avoided a series sweep last night, Miller has been the star of the series. Next game is in Buffalo, Saturday afternoon (I still find it ridiculous scheduling games on a Sat. afternoon). Ottawa will take the series, I don't see Buffalo winning three straight the way they've been playing.

peter eldergill
2007-May-17, 07:50 PM
It ain't over...two crossbars by Ottawa...stress city!

Pete

peter eldergill
2007-May-20, 03:26 PM
Go Sens go! Hop on that bandwagon!

A whole week off, though...could be good or bad

Pete

The Supreme Canuck
2007-May-20, 04:41 PM
*Cough* *Cough*

Ha!

Pinemarten
2007-May-23, 05:13 AM
I have settled down since this post:

http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=974610&postcount=11

Ottawa vs the Ducks.
The team that beats Vancouver usually makes the final series.

Did anyone else call it right?

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-May-23, 05:25 AM
a team name for a bunch bird brains vs a team named for a type of bird.
edited to add, I guess it is all for the birds, now.

Click Ticker
2007-May-24, 12:42 PM
Good thing I'm primarily an NBA fan. GO PISTONS!!!!

DEEEEE - TROIT BASKETBALL!!!

I typically pick up Hockey once the playoffs start and drop it once the Red Wings are eliminated.

Parrothead
2007-May-24, 06:49 PM
It should be a good Stanley Cup Final. I feel sorry for NBC viewers as one can't help but wonder, when else they may pre-empt playoff OT. ;)

How long before the Kitchener-Waterloo Blackberries appear as an NHL team, now that Balsille has agreed to purchase the Predators? A couple of years?

Damien Evans
2007-May-25, 02:40 PM
so whos in the final?

Parrothead
2007-May-25, 03:01 PM
Anaheim and Ottawa.

I was having a good laugh this morning. A radio station in Toronto ran an "anyone but Ottawa" talk segment (in jest), a couple of weekends ago. They have now been told Ottawa Senators staff or players, will not be made available for comments/interviews to that station. The station has a 2 hour hockey talk show, every weekday.

Does Disney still have a stake in the Ducks? Just wondering, if the Ducks win the Stanley Cup, will it become a part of "Disneyland on Parade" ? ;)

Pinemarten
2007-May-28, 11:26 PM
Bump.

Puck drops in 35min.
I'll call the Sens 2-1 in first OT

Edit: Sorry I meant the Sens 3-2 in OT

LurchGS
2007-May-29, 12:23 AM
I've not been following the playoffs this year... do I understand that NBC pre-empted an OT?

Not quite shades of the Heidi Bowl, but close enough to spit on from there. That should cause fans to rise up in protest from all over.

Pinemarten
2007-May-29, 12:33 AM
I heard that. Luckily my taxes heavily subsidize the CBC, so I saw the whole game.

Parrothead
2007-May-29, 10:25 PM
The long layoff definately hurt the Sens. I'm figuring it won't be long before Chris Neil drops the gloves with either Brad May or Rob Neidemeyer.

Please don't ask Stephen Stills to sing the anthem again.

Bettman going on about how the NHL is in sound shape, before the game. Uhm, yeah sure. His contract runs for another 6 years? Yikes!

As much as this hurts to say, Go Sens! (As a Leafs fan it is very hard to say) Anaheim, has a bunch of Canadian players on their team too, but the thought of the Stanley Cup getting paraded down Main St, Disneyland is scarier than the abuse, Sens fans will throw at Leafs fans, if Ottawa wins the Cup. ;)

peter eldergill
2007-May-30, 04:26 PM
Please don't ask Stephen Stills to sing the anthem again.

Yegads...how can such an accomplished singer do such a crappy job??? It was painful to say the least! It was a good game, though, even though Ottawa got outplayed

Pete

Pinemarten
2007-May-30, 09:30 PM
Have you heard Joni Mitchell or Gordon Lightfoot sing lately. Voice + Age = ?

jumbo
2007-May-31, 12:09 AM
I couldnt bear to watch the anthems. Tonight i dont think ill be able to watch the game. Don Cherrys outfit has just blinded me!

Though the prospect of Disney sorry the Ducks winning the cup may be horrifying as a Leafs fan i just cant bring myself to root for the senators.

jumbo
2007-May-31, 02:50 AM
Great game. Right result IMO too. Both goalies really played well tonight. Not sure which was better. Giguere did the business on the 5 on 3 but Emery did justas well underpressure.

Slightly surreal moment in the 3rd i dont think its my eyes playing tricks on me (despite the time) but im sure that was Snoop Dogg in a hockey jersey!

Musashi
2007-May-31, 05:19 AM
Yeah, that was Snoop.

LurchGS
2007-May-31, 05:21 AM
he's a big fan

Maksutov
2007-May-31, 06:26 AM
he's a big fanHe better be, to keep all that smoke dispersed.

Meanwhile that was a nice game-winning goal by Pahlsson right through Corvo's reverse wickets.

snowcelt
2007-May-31, 11:45 AM
After I committed suicide I was all right. Sens in six! Alright. Who woke me up?

V-GER
2007-Jun-01, 01:00 PM
I'd like to see a Canadian team win for a change, even though it's an expansion one, but then again I'd like to see Selšnne finally win something aside from -92 Finnish Championship. Sigh, can't decide...

Parrothead
2007-Jun-01, 02:06 PM
A Canadian team wins, either way. ;) Ottawa is Canadian by location, Anaheim is Canadian by player make-up. Anaheim has something like 14 Canadian players on its roster. Just a tad more than Ottawa. ;)

jumbo
2007-Jun-01, 03:52 PM
I think there are 19 canadians on the Ducks roster and 5 Americans 1 Finn 1 Swede and 1 Russian player.

The Senators have 14 Canadians, 3 Americans,1 Swede,2 Russians,1 German and 1 Slovakian player.

IIRC its the most North American final for several years.

Pinemarten
2007-Jun-05, 03:19 AM
The anthems were nice tonight.

Maksutov
2007-Jun-05, 06:32 AM
The anthems were nice tonight.So were the more unusual icing calls.

Parrothead
2007-Jun-06, 12:20 AM
Looks like the Ducks will wrap up a Stanley Cup Championship in Anaheim, tomorrow night. The Sens played impressively throughout the playoffs, but have met their match. I'm not sure what Alfredsson was thinking when he fired the puck at Scott Niedemeyer, at the end of the second period last night. He must of realized that bonehead move, would only make sure the Ducks stayed focused on winning. He's lucky he didn't get an "unsportsmanlike" penalty or worse an "intent to injure" call.

Grapes spared the US audience one of his "loud" jackets last night. Must of been easy fro Hull to keep saying "Me too!" throughout the segment, except for the foot in the crease part. LOL! Cherry could have mentioned Hull's Cup winning goal off of a high stick. ;)

peter eldergill
2007-Jun-06, 01:21 AM
Uggh...my brain hurts from watching the Sens lose (and those extra beers...)

Pete

LurchGS
2007-Jun-06, 01:26 AM
I stopped watching midway through the second inning.. just not a good sight

Maksutov
2007-Jun-06, 09:37 AM
If they're the Senators, why is the logo a legionnaire?

Seems to me that it should be some dude in a toga carrying a knife.

Meanwhile it appears a fourth sweater will now be necessary.

Maybe they could merge with the Broadway Bullies?

Go Ducks! Mighty good hockey they be playin'.

Ayuh.

Eh?

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Jun-06, 08:06 PM
inning

Agh! Agh! Agh Agh Agh Agh!

LurchGS
2007-Jun-07, 01:46 AM
Agh! Agh! Agh Agh Agh Agh!

yes?

---------------

Where's the kaboom? There's supposed to be an earth shattering ka-boom! - M. Martian

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Jun-07, 01:49 AM
They are called periods.

LurchGS
2007-Jun-07, 02:03 AM
sorry - showing my age. The periods *used* to be officially known as 'innings'. I grew up with it.

snowcelt
2007-Jun-07, 03:17 PM
sorry - showing my age. The periods *used* to be officially known as 'innings'. I grew up with it.

You must be old! I have been watching hockey for forty years and all I remember is periods. Next year the finalists will be the Phoenix Coyotes and the Toronto Maple Leafs, in which the Desert Dogs will sweep in four. D'oh!

hhEb09'1
2007-Jun-07, 03:52 PM
sorry - showing my age. The periods *used* to be officially known as 'innings'. I grew up with it.Maybe games on the river were known as "outings"?

Parrothead
2007-Jun-07, 05:32 PM

Perhaps you're thinking "a game of shinny", informal pond, rink or street hockey?

Anaheim won the Cup, Scott Neidermayer won the Conn Smythe Award. Some bad calls to start the game. Seeing as Disney sold the Ducks, a couple of years ago, does this mean the Stanley Cup Parade will go through Knott's Berry Farm instead? ;) LOL! During the post game interviews they were talking with one of the Ducks, who may take the Cup to his hometown Kanata (home of the Sens) for his day with the Cup.

Awards show is June 14th, 8 pm (CBC in Canada) from Toronto's Elgin and Wintergarden Theatre.

Entry Draft is in Columbus, June 22nd and 23rd.

The future of the Predators will be clearer at the end of the month, upon approval of Balsillie's $220m offer. Speculation is the team will, eventually, end up in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ont. via Hamilton. I see the Hamilton part being problematic, as it falls within the 80km (50 mile) radius of both Toronto and Buffalo.

From there comes the wait for the 2007-2008 season and the Leafs winning the Cup again. :) ;)