PDA

View Full Version : What is your dream job?

Monoxide Child
2007-Apr-14, 11:31 PM
1) If you could have any job, regardless of pay/compensation, what would it be?

2) How does this differ from when you were a kid?

3) Optional: What do you currently do or are currently pursuing to do?

This should be fun.

trinitree88
2007-Apr-15, 01:13 AM

This should be fun.

Monoxide Child.
1.I'll bite. First man on Mars...been tellin the chilluns for twenty odd yars....I always wanted that. Now that my munchkins are growed up. I'm ready. I can grow most anything (farm,greenhouse experience and garden centers)....and... I can build a flying saucer for transport.;)
2. When I was a child I wanted to fly jets.
3. I teach secondary school, physics, chemistry, and photography...work outdoors in the summer, landscaping, garden centers. Pete.

EvilEye
2007-Apr-15, 02:27 AM

To own and manage my own recording studio. And on top of that to do voice work for cartoons, & voiceover work for radio and the like.

I wanted to be a surgeon because Of Dr. Duncan (Sandy Duncan's father) who operated on my parents and he was so cool.

I manage a widow's estate. I am the groundskeeper, mechanic, lawn/poolman, call taker, dog walker, stable-boy, security, rodent/pest/alligator trapper ....you name it... I do it by myself here. The only thing I don't do is inside plumbing.

Maksutov
2007-Apr-15, 06:14 AM
Composer.

djellison
2007-Apr-15, 08:23 AM
Outreach for an Mars mission - that's what I want to do.

When I was a kid, I always thought I'd grow up to be a GP :)

And now...I'm a multimedia producer for a Medical E-Learning firm. I do animations and video editing - at the moment on a subject that is just grossing me out too much.

Hopefully doing lots of little things - guest blogging for TPS and writing for their mag, giving lectures at various Astronomical assoc's in the UK, and setting up and running UMSF.com - eventually it'll open me a door out of Medical E-Learning.

Doug

Jeff Root
2007-Apr-15, 08:41 AM
Filmmaker. Or nowadays, perhaps, video, but I prefer film. I might
make videos to go with some of Maksutov's compositions. In general
I'd like to make movies to occupy the visual part of the brain while
listening to music such as a suite of waltzes from Der Rosenkavalier,
The Planets, or Claire de Lune. Basically I want to do "Fantasia" but
not necessarily animated. Waltzes from Der Rosenkavalier would be
all live action. The Planets would be mostly animated.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Damien Evans
2007-Apr-15, 02:22 PM
1. Professional Angler
2. Racing Car Driver
3. Studying to become either an Archaeologist or Historian, not sure which yet but i've got until the end of the year to decide

Doodler
2007-Apr-15, 02:38 PM
Ironworker in space station construction.

Ironworker is a kinda generic term for guys in the industry that work on metal structural fabrication and assembly. Even though structures are steel these days, and in 20 years likely to be some kind of carbon composite materials, the term has its roots in the first generation of industrial age construction workers who worked with iron. For me, I look at some of the truss assemblies that have gone into the ISS and my first thought when they had issues with things not lining up right was "stop grousing, get a three pound hammer and a spud wrench and whack the damned thing into place". Obviously, the amount of electrical work involved in those things makes some of the brute force tactics a little dangerous, but as station design evolves, and orbital facilities become more common, I see room up there for guys who walk untethered amongst the trusses two hundred miles up the way guys used to walk unsecured to steel beams a hundred stories up.

EvilEye
2007-Apr-15, 03:08 PM
Filmmaker. Or nowadays, perhaps, video, but I prefer film. I might
make videos to go with some of Maksutov's compositions. In general
I'd like to make movies to occupy the visual part of the brain while
listening to music such as a suite of waltzes from Der Rosenkavalier,
The Planets, or Claire de Lune. Basically I want to do "Fantasia" but
not necessarily animated. Waltzes from Der Rosenkavalier would be
all live action. The Planets would be mostly animated.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

They already did one of Holst's "The Planets" in 2000. Music by Isao Tomita and narrated by Patrick Stewart.

It's beautiful.

I'd like to see yours too!

mugaliens
2007-Apr-15, 08:37 PM

This should be fun.

1. Flying.

2. No difference.

3. The same.

Ilya
2007-Apr-16, 01:46 AM
1. Teaching scuba in the Bahamas to vacationing college girls

2. Research biologist

3. Ferreting out computer fraud

snarkophilus
2007-Apr-16, 06:21 AM
I thought I had a good dream job, but now I'm going to have to echo the teaching scuba one. Oh yes. I've often thought of being the first man on Mars, too, but I wouldn't consider that a job....

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a pathologist (I was a weird kid). I gave that up when I realised I'd need to be in school until I was 30 to do it.

Now I'm a grad student, doing interstellar chemistry. I teach labs for money. I'll probably be in school until I'm 30. Oh, the irony.

Melusine
2007-Apr-16, 06:34 AM
I wish I could be David Attenborough.

mickal555
2007-Apr-16, 01:19 PM
A bottle.

Fazor
2007-Apr-16, 02:29 PM
1) Wish I knew, although I was reflecting on how fun it would be to be a professional baseball player (or fisherman, or golfer, etc etc depending on my mood).

2) Hmm, well lets see. I always wanted to make video games as a kid. Then when I was about 14 i decided that I didn't like spending all day staring at lines of code. But independant modding/game design carried me into the world of CG graphics. Ended up doing that throughout highschool and then went to college for it. Eventually decided that I liked CG more as a hobby than as a career. Went to school for law enforcement. Got a job offer but then was declined when it was descovered that I only have about 20% of my hearing in my left ear. So I've been all over the place.

3) Now I'm selling insurance, trying to figure out what I would actually enjoy doing. An unearned associates in animation and an associates in law enforcement seem fairly limiting right now though.

John Mendenhall
2007-Apr-16, 02:44 PM
Ironworker in space station construction.

Ironworker is a kinda generic term for guys in the industry that work on metal structural fabrication and assembly. Even though structures are steel these days, and in 20 years likely to be some kind of carbon composite materials, the term has its roots in the first generation of industrial age construction workers who worked with iron. For me, I look at some of the truss assemblies that have gone into the ISS and my first thought when they had issues with things not lining up right was "stop grousing, get a three pound hammer and a spud wrench and whack the damned thing into place". Obviously, the amount of electrical work involved in those things makes some of the brute force tactics a little dangerous, but as station design evolves, and orbital facilities become more common, I see room up there for guys who walk untethered amongst the trusses two hundred miles up the way guys used to walk unsecured to steel beams a hundred stories up.

You know, the idea of a 10 mile high steel structure to anchor the space elevator (notice that I'm assuming that the space elevator will be built) has been booted around. 10 miles could be done with present day technology; 30 to 50 miles might be better, then you could get out of thunderstorm and hurricane reach.

Whirlpool
2007-Apr-16, 03:29 PM

A Doctor, actually a Surgeon. I always wanted to be one , but since I cannot afford to take the expensive course, If I have given a chance , I'll still choose it until now.

When I was a kid , I've always dreamed of being a doctor. I am fascinated and amazed on how the doctors saved lives,. It all started when my mother got sick when I was 8 and the doctors saved my moms life.
I think, the only difference now , is I didnt became a Doctor but took an opposite course far from science but more on numbers.

I am practicing as Industrial Engineer in a Manufacturing Company of Data Servers and UPS . I'm currently pursuing to do. hmmmm....transfer to another country for good...me and my son.. pursue my career there with the new environment .

;)

pumpkinpie
2007-Apr-16, 05:05 PM

This should be fun.
1)Working in a planetarium, producing and presenting shows.
2)Science and education were always the paths I knew I would follow. Astronomy specifically didn't come into play until college.
3)As of May 1, See #1 :)

Fazor
2007-Apr-16, 05:45 PM
2)Science and education were always the paths I knew I would follow. Astronomy specifically didn't come into play until college.

Well congradulations. It's a great thing to get into a job that you actually enjoy doing.

mike alexander
2007-Apr-16, 06:22 PM
Writer. Although storyteller is really more accurate. When I was a kid I wanted to be either a writer or a scientist. I ended up pursuing the latter, although lately I'm trying to snoogle back into writing.

Jeff Root
2007-Apr-16, 11:02 PM
2)Science and education were always the paths I knew I would follow.
Astronomy specifically didn't come into play until college.
!!!!! WHERE????? !!!!!

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Lianachan
2007-Apr-16, 11:43 PM
I'd like to turn my main hobby into a job - visiting and photographing archeaological sites. I already have photographs in museums, but I've donated them all.

I wanted to be a biochemist, until I was told I couldn't study chemistry and biology at high school and was made to do chemistry and physics (it was a small school). I always secretly wanted to be an astronaut though.

Secretive government type.

Moose
2007-Apr-16, 11:54 PM

Philanthropist. I'd settle for comfortable-rich, retired, and sailing.

You say that like I didn't have a million ideas of what I wanted to do when I was a kid.

Software developper. It's steadily losing it's charm.

WillC.
2007-Apr-17, 01:00 AM
Racing cars, more specifically Formula 1, even more specifically for Ferrari

I still am a kid :)

Currently I work at a car dealership, and on the weekends i race 125cc go karts (dont let the gokart name fool ya, they go 120mph)

Monoxide Child
2007-Apr-17, 01:36 AM
1) Professional sand volleyball player.

2) I wanted to be an astronomer.

3) But now I work part time as a medical billing clerk. Next year I will be attending either U of Iowa or Stanford, however, and am hoping to end up in med school after my undergrad years.

lpgeorge123
2007-Apr-17, 02:01 AM
1.) Astronomer, though I don't have anything more specific in mind yet. I like learning about the Sun and stars. Cosmology, dark matter, and dark energy are all really cool too.

2.) First I wanted to be a paleontologist and dig up dinosaur bones (I think I use to bury stuff in the sandbox and carefully dig it up again). Then I started playing with some old blueprints and I wanted to be an architect, which later transfered to architect and interior designer. Then I wanted to be an astronomer.

3.) Currently a student working towards #1.

Maksutov
2007-Apr-17, 04:32 AM
Philanthropist. I'd settle for comfortable-rich, retired, and sailing....You know, having a hand on that main sheet would be nice.

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/4879/iconbiggrin1kg.gif

Noclevername
2007-Apr-19, 02:47 AM
Millionaire playboy by day, crimefighter by night! How does this differ from my childhood dreams? Well, it's more realistic...