PDA

View Full Version : Show Suggestion: Planet Formation

Chase
2007-Apr-16, 10:19 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, but a keen listener of Astronomy cast. I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me out with the puzzle of planet formation. I've spent much time trying to understand it, and have come to the conclusion that the topic could do with the Fraser and Pamela treatment :think:

So how do planets really form? Where did the planets we see in the night sky come from?

I understand that there are different theories and models for planet formation and the most widely accepted of these is called core acceleration. However, is it not the case that many of these models cannot account for the existance of Neptune or Uranus? And in addition, if there is a standard accepted model whereby gaseous planets form further away then the inner rocky planets then how do we account for the existance of hot jupiters in other solar systems and their proximity to parent stars? Does their existance not in effect throw out our common understandings of planet formation, or at least challenge them?

If anyone could help clear up this mystery I'd be very greatful! :yes:

Thanks alot for your time! I look forward to hearing some much more detailed answers then my ramblings LOL

Cheers!

Chase

Fraser
2007-Apr-17, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. We've covered this as a side topic in a few episodes, such as Episodes 2, 3, and 12. But we'll queue this up for a later show.

Here's the full archive:
http://www.astronomycast.com/archive/

clint
2007-Apr-27, 01:11 PM
Maybe you could 'enrich' this subject by including
what we have learned about planet formation and 'star system mechanics'
by the discovery of all those exoplanets in recent years.

After that new 'superearth' discovery this week the timing for this subject would be perfect!!

Fraser
2007-Apr-28, 12:07 AM
Our latest show covers the superearth discovery, so good timing. :-)