PDA

View Full Version : Zodiacal Light & Milky Way

Palomar
2007-Apr-19, 10:24 PM
This is not my photo. Saw it at spaceweather.com

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f192/CMarek/zodiaclight.jpg

Physics professor Jimmy Westlake took this picture near Stagecoach, Colorado, on April 14th about an hour after sunset

"It was spectacular," he says. "The bright, yellowish zodiacal light crossed the blue band of the Milky Way forming a large X in the sky. Venus and the Pleiades were completely immersed in zodiacal glow."

Zodiacal light--sunlight reflected from dust littering the plane of the solar system--is very faint.

I don't believe I've ever seen Zodiacal Light in real life. What a terrific pic. :)

Even the slender crescent moon can interfere with it; so wait until the moon sets and allow your eyes time to fully adjust to the darkness.

Maybe we need to take a trip to Lake Roberts this weekend (extreme wilderness, no lights around for 10s of miles). :D

Or let your camera do the work

Amber Robot
2007-Apr-20, 03:59 AM
I don't believe I've ever seen Zodiacal Light in real life.

I saw it for the first time last year in South Africa. I was surprised at how bright it is. But you have to be somewhere very dark where it can't be confused with the light of a nearby city.

zenbudda
2007-Apr-24, 05:33 AM
i'm not sure which light you are referring to. the belt of stars going from bottom left to upper right? or the haze just above the horizon?

cjl
2007-Apr-26, 06:03 PM
It's the band of light going from the lower right to the upper left.