PDA

View Full Version : Sea surge threaten 1 billion

NEOWatcher
2007-Apr-20, 08:33 PM
Talk about inducing fear...
Study: Sudden sea level surges threaten 1 billion (http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/04/20/sea.levels.reut/index.html)
:eek:

New mapping techniques show potential impact of rapidly rising sea levels
A sudden surge in sea level could impact 1 billion people, study finds
A sea level rise of just 16 feet would affect 669 million people
A 100-foot rise in sea level would cover 3.7 million square miles of land worldwide

Sudden surge? They are talking about hundreds of years (as admitted in the article)
Do they think everyone living on the coast is anchored there?

And, they also include storm surges. Do they think it's possible for a storm surge to affect everyone at the same time?

Yes; its a problem, but not the way they present it. :wall:

Fazor
2007-Apr-20, 08:57 PM
You can't use logic when reporting about facts and science. There's where you're missing the connection NEO.

Dragon Star
2007-Apr-20, 09:06 PM
Study: Sudden sea level surges threaten 1 billion (http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/04/20/sea.levels.reut/index.html)

Sudden surge? They are talking about hundreds of years (as admitted in the article)

And, they also include storm surges. Do they think it's possible for a storm surge to affect everyone at the same time?

Heh, I made this exact point in the global warming thread.

"Millons will have to move away from the rising waters!"

Er...yea, and they have their entire lives to do it. I think they can manage without it turning into a worldwide crisis.

Doodler
2007-Apr-20, 09:10 PM

SEE: New Orleans

Maksutov
2007-Apr-20, 09:20 PM
BILLIONS THREATENED WITH DEATH BY FREEZING
Prominent scientists have reported that billions of people face imminent death by freezing. The anticipated drop in global temperatures to near absolute zero is expected to occur when the Sun burns out approximately 5 billion years from now. Scientists also adopted a conciliatory tone, noting that humanity will have probably already been wiped out by heat when the Sun entered its red giant stage a few million years earlier.

Swift
2007-Apr-20, 09:52 PM
BILLIONS THREATENED WITH DEATH BY FREEZING
Prominent scientists have reported that billions of people face imminent death by freezing. The anticipated drop in global temperatures to near absolute zero is expected to occur when the Sun burns out approximately 5 billion years from now. Scientists also adopted a conciliatory tone, noting that humanity will have probably already been wiped out by heat when the Sun entered its red giant stage a few million years earlier.
I know Mak is making a joke, but actually, there is some serious stuff here.

Yes, we have (let's say) a hundred years to deal with global coastal flooding. But how quickly do you think we can permanently move 100 million or a billion people? I think you would need a serious effort to do it sooner than a few decades.

Look at Doodler's comment about New Orleans; for the tens of thousands that have been displaced, how long did it take till they were settled in to their new locations (I'm not even sure this is complete)? How long till New Orleans is back to previous conditions? Now multiply that effort by a factor of 100 or 1000.

So, back to Mak, if we are going to evacuate the entire Earth, we have a lot of work to do (finding a suitable new home, developing the technology to get there, setting up the new home planet, moving the people). I suspect we will need to get started within the new few million years (I am only half-joking).

Doodler
2007-Apr-20, 09:59 PM
First off, you've got to convince a lot of very stubborn and stupid people to give up what they believe is their deity granted right to live wherever they want, until the deity reminds them that all leases are renegotiable without prior notice, then they whine and expect to be rescued as they drown, starve, or suffer some disease that pops up in the aftermath of civilization's collapse.

I find it rather amusing. It'll be like the Christmas Eve tsunami of '04 when it finally starts happening.

History repeats itself because taken as a whole, humanity is a rather slow child...

Swift
2007-Apr-20, 10:01 PM
First off, you've got to convince a lot of very stubborn and stupid people to give up what they believe is their deity granted right to live wherever they want, until the deity reminds them that all leases are renegotiable without prior notice, then they whine and expect to be rescued as they drown, starve, or suffer some disease that pops up in the aftermath of civilization's collapse.
And you know most of them won't believe a problem is coming till the water is at their ankles, and some won't believe it till it reaches their nose.

Doodler
2007-Apr-20, 10:04 PM
A few will just think its a developed world conspiracy as bodies float by in water most civilized nations would categorize as sewage.

korjik
2007-Apr-20, 10:10 PM

SEE: Houston, a month later.

Was a refugee for a few days. No biggie. There are two types of people who live in a coastal zone. Those who are smart enough to get out before hand, and the ones who feed the wildlife the hard way.

Pretty much any time a hurricane reached the gulf, I usually have a plan, a backup plan, and a backup backup plan.

It is very simple. Climate change takes decades. Those who can migrate will, those who cant or wont die. Same way that nature has done it for half a billion years.

korjik
2007-Apr-20, 10:11 PM
A few will just think its a developed world conspiracy as bodies float by in water most civilized nations would categorize as sewage.

Yep. I am sure the dutch are in on it :)

mugaliens
2007-Apr-21, 08:26 PM

Way to call it, NEOWatcher!

Yet another example of media "be scared so you'll read and we'll reap the advertising dollars!" hype.

cbacba
2007-Apr-21, 09:05 PM

Yet another example of media "be scared so you'll read and we'll reap the advertising dollars!" hype.

The really scary part is when the totally dellusional, completely brainwashed younger generation reaches materity with the belief that us old fogies screwed them out of the garden of edan.

Maksutov
2007-Apr-21, 09:12 PM

Yet another example of media "be scared so you'll read and we'll reap the advertising dollars!" hype.Yup, more fearmongering by the media, best illustrated by the cover (and a large part of the content) of this edition of Newsweek:

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/936/newsweek200110081ps8.th.jpg (http://img235.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newsweek200110081ps8.jpg)

cbacba
2007-Apr-21, 10:35 PM
Yup, more fearmongering by the media, best illustrated by the cover (and a large part of the content) of this edition of Newsweek:

Major 'news' magazines of today

Newspeak
Slime
US Muse and World Distort

mugaliens
2007-Apr-22, 01:37 PM
Yup, more fearmongering by the media, best illustrated by the cover (and a large part of the content) of this edition of Newsweek:

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/936/newsweek200110081ps8.th.jpg (http://img235.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newsweek200110081ps8.jpg)

Excellent example, Maksutov.

Of course, the question should read: "How Prepared Should You Be?"

I wish the media would leave the fear factor out of it.

LurchGS
2007-Apr-22, 07:55 PM
Excellent example, Maksutov.

Of course, the question should read: "How Prepared Should You Be?"

I wish the media would leave the fear factor out of it.

If they did that , the population as a whole might not spend the $1.50 to learn that, generally speaking, there ain't Jack that can be done. Not to mention that it's not worth worrying about in the first place.

As for New Orleans - I applaud those who left before I arrived. I'd *really* rather not have gone - but for some reason, it was decided to rescue those morons. (No, I don't know why I volunteered... I think I was broken that day - but it was fun after I got there.). And, well... I just have to question the sanity of anybody who willingly lives on a hurricane coast. And REALLY wonder about those who do so *below* sea level, and further opt to play osterich when knowlegeable people suggest in strong terms that it would be a *good thing* to build bigger walls to keep the water out.

You will note that I live nowhere near any coast. I don't live in an avalanche zone (unless you count NHL teams). The area is as tectonically stable as can reasonably be found. Tornados are few and far between, and rarely above an F1. I'm on a hill so the nearby "river" can't flood me out.
The worst nature around here is the occasional blizzard. Like you can't see THAT coming!

Of course, when I retire, I'll probably move to the coast of Oregon or Washington. But when was the last time we had a national disaster occure there? Aside from the politics, that is.

Gillianren
2007-Apr-22, 09:14 PM
Of course, when I retire, I'll probably move to the coast of Oregon or Washington. But when was the last time we had a national disaster occure there? Aside from the politics, that is.

February, 2001; thanks for asking. No one died in that earthquake, but we got lucky; it was very deep and centered in the Nisqually Valley, which translates to "middle of bloody nowhere," or at least as middle of bloody nowhere as you get on the I-5 corridor between Olympia and the border.

As to why people didn't leave, not all of them could afford to. As to why they didn't build better levees, the people who were responsible for it didn't want to spend the money and the people who lived there didn't have the money or the authority.

HenrikOlsen
2007-Apr-22, 09:47 PM
As to why people didn't leave, not all of them could afford to. As to why they didn't build better levees, the people who were responsible for it didn't want to spend the money and the people who lived there didn't have the money or the authority.
As I remember, the people responsible decided that the money assigned for the levees where better spent on the highway out.

NEOWatcher
2007-Apr-23, 02:13 PM
Yes; But as I was hoping to point out, is that not everyone will be affected at the same time. Millions-yes, Billion-no.

We will still have our coastal disasters. Over time, some will get fed up and move higher. Some will think it was a rare occurance and not budge. Some will know it's a problem, and find technical solutions to preserve what exists. (I wonder how many below sea-level leveed cities we will see in hundreds of years.)

I think, if there is an increase of people in danger, it will be because of the 3rd thing I pointed out. But, there will also be a point where we keep having N.O. type disasters because of the increase in N.O. type situations, that the increases will diminish.

mugaliens
2007-Apr-23, 05:13 PM
You will note that I live nowhere near any coast. I don't live in an avalanche zone (unless you count NHL teams). The area is as tectonically stable as can reasonably be found. Tornados are few and far between, and rarely above an F1. I'm on a hill so the nearby "river" can't flood me out. The worst nature around here is the occasional blizzard. Like you can't see THAT coming!

So. You're at the South Pole? Just guessing...

Oh, in the early 1900s, when a Tsunami wiped Canon Beach, OR, off the face of the map.

While vacationing there in the early 1990s, my wife and I were woken by the Tsunami Warning System around 5 am. We joined the other residents fleeing up the mountain until passing the fire engine with a guy holding a sign, "Remain Above This Point."

The cause was unknown during the first few minutes, but it turned out to be the Earthquake which shook Seattle. It was strong enough to partially empty our toilet in the hotel, and if the epicenter had been out to sea, due to a landslide or earthquake, it's doubtful as to whether or not our five minute exodous would have outrun the three to five minutes the experts say it would take a tsunami to hit Cannon Beach.

Have you tried Kansas? Oh, that's right - tornados.

How about Colorado? Sorry - twice the solar radiation of those living at sea level.

Florida? Whoops! Nope, too many large rotating cyclonic masses.

Vermont? Well, the North Eastern storm that just hit them...

California! The Earthquake state not appeal to you? Hmm...

VEGAS!!! Unfortunately, too much natural lighting, and the dust something to the lungs of those who live there...

There are problems no matter where you go. If I'd pick a spot, it'd be Colorado, but that's only because my family lives there.

cbacba
2007-Apr-23, 07:03 PM
Not to mention that 10-100 ft dia. rock from the outer solar system doesn't care a whole bunch just where it decides to hit.

Besides - you fergot texas - choose right and you can potentially have virtually the full variety all of the aforementioned bennies.

Gillianren
2007-Apr-23, 08:28 PM
Oh, I forgot--we also had a severe windstorm this winter that kept the power off for days in places (though we never lost ours!). Again, I don't know if anyone died, but we do get our share of natural disasters--and when Mount Rainier goes, that'll probably make up for all of the little disasters with no deaths that we tend to get.

cbacba
2007-Apr-23, 09:25 PM
Oh, I forgot--we also had a severe windstorm this winter that kept the power off for days in places (though we never lost ours!). Again, I don't know if anyone died, but we do get our share of natural disasters--and when Mount Rainier goes, that'll probably make up for all of the little disasters with no deaths that we tend to get.

When Mt Rainier goes, it's going to evidently be one heck of a snow melt. Probably best to think of the Ventures and their hit song with the great drum solo called Wipeout. Don't bother buying a surfboard to keep inside a glass case with a little hammer and a label that says "break in case of emergency"

Trebuchet
2007-Apr-24, 01:41 AM

At least four people died that I recall. All due to CO poisoning from their generators.

The Mt Rainier thing is going to be interesting some day. They keep building houses in Orting, where there's lots of nice flat land from the previous mudflows. As I've mentioned here before, they had a false alarm from the lahar warning system a couple of years ago. The schools responded instantly and correctly, walking the kids to high ground. Many of the kids would have been orphans because virtually none of the adults left their jobs or soap operas.

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to my vacation home (1/2 mile from the sea, 200 feet elevation) gaining value by being waterfron property!

Maksutov
2007-Apr-24, 08:18 AM
[edit]And REALLY wonder about those who do so *below* sea level, and further opt to play osterich when knowlegeable people suggest in strong terms that it would be a *good thing* to build bigger walls to keep the water out....Why do I get this mental image of thousands of Austrians with their heads buried in the sand?

Meanwhile, it appears the BAUT BB has its own version of Lex Luthor: Trebuchet (http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=974027&postcount=25).

Trebuchet
2007-Apr-24, 07:05 PM
Why do I get this mental image of thousands of Austrians with their heads buried in the sand?

Meanwhile, it appears the BAUT BB has its own version of Lex Luthor: Trebuchet (http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=974027&postcount=25).

Now where's that smiley for the evil grin? This one :evil: isn't quite it!

korjik
2007-Apr-24, 07:39 PM
Not to mention that 10-100 ft dia. rock from the outer solar system doesn't care a whole bunch just where it decides to hit.

Besides - you fergot texas - choose right and you can potentially have virtually the full variety all of the aforementioned bennies.

Hey! We almost never get earthquakes! :)