PDA

View Full Version : Kryptonite found in Serbia

ToSeek
2007-Apr-24, 02:48 PM
'Kryptonite' discovered in mine (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6584229.stm)

Kryptonite is no longer just the stuff of fiction feared by caped superheroes.

A new mineral matching its unique chemistry - as described in the film Superman Returns - has been identified in a mine in Serbia.

As one blogger noted, no wonder Superman couldn't do anything about the former Yugoslavia.

NEOWatcher
2007-Apr-24, 02:55 PM
As one blogger noted, no wonder Superman couldn't do anything about the former Yugoslavia.
:clap:

Anyway; It consists of some of the elements referenced in the movie... Let's see the other similarities:
Color: no
All the elements (flourine): no
Glows: no
Harmful: no

I would say this is a very long stretch...

Moose
2007-Apr-24, 03:01 PM
:eh:

Not even Superman himself could leap over that gap in a single bound. (Two, at least.)

It's a bit like saying water is just like hydrochloric acid... Except for one element and... pretty much every other property. :shhh:

peter eldergill
2007-Apr-25, 01:33 PM
It's like saying the reason I'm not in the NHL is my bad knee...and talent... and if I could shoot....skate well...handle the puck...

Honest, it's my bad knee

Pete

NEOWatcher
2007-Apr-25, 01:44 PM
It's like saying the reason I'm not in the NHL is my bad knee...and talent... and if I could shoot....skate well...handle the puck...
But; do you have a Jersey? If you do, then you'll be just like an NHL player. :D

peter eldergill
2007-Apr-25, 09:17 PM
I do have a jersey! But it doesn't have my name on it :(

Pete

Damburger
2007-Apr-25, 09:19 PM
Anyone find it disturbing that this discovery should coincide so closely with the discovery of a habitable planet orbiting a red sun?

LurchGS
2007-Apr-26, 05:35 AM
Anyone find it disturbing that this discovery should coincide so closely with the discovery of a habitable planet orbiting a red sun?

LOL

NEO - I think the match is closer.. flourine was added in the movie - but the graphic.. oh, heck with it - the comic books were a more accurate match.
Kryptonite is harmless to humans, in theSuperman world - it's only dangerous to him, and we can't test that.

it does flourece.. I'd give this stuff half a point for that.. so the only realy miss is the color. Let's just chalk that up to hollywood :)

Ronald Brak
2007-Apr-26, 07:50 AM
Maybe it turns green in the presence of superman?

HenrikOlsen
2007-Apr-26, 09:37 AM
But how can it be Kryptonite? It's not radioactive.

Ronald Brak
2007-Apr-26, 11:02 AM
But how can it be Kryptonite? It's not radioactive.

It only registers as radioactive on geiger counters constructed under the light of a red sun.

Doodler
2007-Apr-26, 12:25 PM

Not only that, a planet who's local gravity would produce pretty strong inhabitants...

mugaliens
2007-Apr-26, 04:13 PM
Well, Krypton is a noble gas, atomic number of 36...