PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Harry Potter...

Moose
2007-Apr-24, 03:38 PM
... weren't we?

We aren't? Oh well.

In any case, just in the off chance there's anybody left who still cares about this series even a little, they released the movie trailer for Order of the Phoenix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14KlsramMHg).

If you've never heard of Harry Potter, you're a bit curious and have two minutes and twelve seconds out from under the rock to waste utterly on crap like this, feel free to clicky.

I'll be off watching paint dry. :eh: So compelling.

Laguna
2007-Apr-24, 07:22 PM
If you don't like the crappy YouTube quality, get the Trailer here...

Normal:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/harrypotterandtheorderofthephoenix/

High Definition:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/harrypotterandtheorderofthephoenix/hd/

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Apr-24, 10:15 PM
I will not watch it because it encourages satan worship.:p

Gillianren
2007-Apr-24, 10:26 PM
That's okay--by the standards of the people saying that, I already worship Satan.

Hey, this movie's going to have--should have--Helena Bonham Carter, Gary Oldman, and Ralph Fiennes. I'd watch it no matter what it was.

Dragon Star
2007-Apr-24, 10:35 PM
If you've never heard of Harry Potter, you're a bit curious and have two minutes and twelve seconds out from under the rock to waste utterly on crap like this, feel free to clicky.

I'll be off watching paint dry. :eh: So compelling.

What's the beef with HP? I think it's a wonderful series of movies/books.

Moose
2007-Apr-25, 12:03 AM
What's the beef with HP? I think it's a wonderful series of movies/books.

Sorry about that, I was wondering if my tongue was sufficiently visible in my cheek or not. :liar: {- See? There it is. It's been a rough enough day that it doesn't surprise me a bit that my sense of humor suffered a partial-failure along with everything else.

I'm actually a fan of the series and books. Me and the other twelve fans.

When I spotted the advisory/thread on Fark earlier today, I leaped on the trailer like a lioness on a wounded gazelle.

Moose
2007-Apr-25, 12:06 AM
I will not watch it because it encourages satan worship.:p

Yeah, see, I've been telling them for ages somebody typoed that passage. They've been worried over the wrong thing for millenia. It's Stan. Stan worship is what they were supposed to avoid all this time.

It just goes to show why proof-readers are so important.

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Apr-25, 12:12 AM
I have seen movies and actually have no idea why people think it is going to lead to Stan worship.

Moose
2007-Apr-25, 12:19 AM
I have seen movies and actually have no idea why people think it is going to lead to Stan worship.

Well, see, the Stan they were supposed to avoid worshipping became an ex-Stan in due course, human lifespans being what they are.

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Apr-25, 12:35 AM
So Stan is not immortal after all.

Van Rijn
2007-Apr-25, 12:46 AM

Horrors, I've seen movies too! And, no, I can't imagine why they would cause anyone to worship somebody named "Stan."

MrClean
2007-Apr-25, 12:47 AM
Well, the only thing I really know about HP other than I've seen the movies on the tube is that the lastest stinkin book kept Scott Siglers new release Ancestor available on Amazon.com from climbing any higher than 7th place on opening day. It did take 1st in Sci/fi and 1st in Horror that day though and helped bring his previous book Earthcore up from where it was sitting although I forget what place it was that day. Yup, that's Sigler on Amazon.com OR at his website and podio books where you can listen to it in podcast form, if you read slow like I do. You'd probably want a copy or two of the books though, I bought some to donate to my local public library.

But other than the Rowlings novel keeping Scott Sigler from climbing higher in the lists, I don't know nothing about no Harry.

He doesn't mix American Football with Aliens and organzied crime does he? Like Scott Sigler in the award winning podcast The Rookie avaiilable at http://scottsigler.podshow.com/ does he?

Just wondering.

Matherly
2007-Apr-25, 02:46 AM
I for one doubt the divinity of Stan
:shifty:

hawaii50girl
2007-Apr-25, 03:28 PM
I can't wait until the fifth movie and the last book comes out. I am counting down the downs on my calendar until both of them are out.

vonmazur
2007-Apr-25, 08:00 PM
The one where they are all in the Rest Home Extended Care Facility??

"Harry and Chamber Pot of Horrors"???

Dale in Ala

Irishman
2007-Apr-26, 09:20 PM
davidlpf, the standard ultra-conservative-christian reasoning is that Harry Potter promotes witchcraft, ergo it promotes Satan worship. Of course, even fairly conservative Christians who actually read the books or watch the movies tend to be okay with them.

Gillianren
2007-Apr-26, 10:53 PM
davidlpf, the standard ultra-conservative-christian reasoning is that Harry Potter promotes witchcraft, ergo it promotes Satan worship. Of course, even fairly conservative Christians who actually read the books or watch the movies tend to be okay with them.

And those of us who actually practice "the religion of witchcraft" know that Harry Potter is nothing like our religion anyway!

soylentgreen
2007-Apr-27, 02:40 AM
Of course, even fairly conservative Christians who actually read the books or watch the movies tend to be okay with them.

That has less to do with harmless alchemy and more to do with cherry-picking hypocrisy...and naturally, not a topic for this forum. ;)

Besides, they wasted no time in appropriating it for their own ends (http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/04/harry-granger.htm).

VPCCD
2007-Apr-27, 03:11 AM
I wonder how actual wicans feel about harry potter?

Gillianren
2007-Apr-27, 06:21 AM
I wonder how actual wicans feel about harry potter?

There's no one way, of course; we can't be lumped together as a group like that. However, most of the ones of my personal acquaintance are quite fond of the books and irritated about the things the movies get wrong, just like a lot of non-Wiccans. However, we do get awfully tired of pointing out that our religion is nothing like that.

torque of the town
2007-Apr-27, 08:11 AM
I for one doubt the divinity of Stan
:shifty:

:eek: :eek: :eek:.......... heresy

Gerrsun
2007-Apr-27, 10:42 AM
Seen on a study cubicle at my college's library...

"Give in to the power of Satin"

Satin is nice, so soft and comfortable, great to sleep on, so I was really tempted.

Dr Nigel
2007-Apr-27, 08:35 PM
And those of us who actually practice "the religion of witchcraft" know that Harry Potter is nothing like our religion anyway!

That's right. For a start, you don't deify Stan.

Moose
2007-Apr-27, 09:19 PM
That's right. For a start, you don't deify Stan.

Thank Stan for that. :)

Brad_Smith
2007-Apr-29, 10:35 PM
No. Not Stan Deyo. All-time wackiness with that guy . . . .

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Apr-30, 02:41 AM
Irishman, I was just making light of another thread and the issue in general.

nomuse
2007-May-01, 01:01 AM
Obviously the "Stan" meant is Stan "The Man" Lee -- 'nuff said? Excelsior!