PDA

View Full Version : 1900 mpg

NEOWatcher
2007-Apr-24, 07:08 PM
I ran across this, and thought that there had to be a catch, but I can't find any. (although the conditions are ultra-unrealistic)

Gas-sipping vehicle gets 1,900 mpg (http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-garagebriefs21apr21,1,5317797.story?track=rss)

A team from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo won the $10,000 grand prize by achieving the equivalent of 1,902.7 miles per gallon on regular gasoline in a student-built vehicle.

Larry Jacks
2007-Apr-24, 07:19 PM
These competitions are fun but wake me when they actually make a practical, street-legal vehicle. One that can work in bad weather would be a plus, too. If the Automotive X-Prize happens, there's big money to be won ($25 million for a practical, produceable, street legal car that gets over 100 MPG).

Van Rijn
2007-Apr-24, 09:33 PM
Yup, the catch is that it is a purpose built vehicle that isn't practical for general use. It isn't hard to build a small vehicle that can get over 1000 MPG, though I'm sure they worked for this prize at nearly 2000 MPG.

Pinemarten
2007-Apr-26, 05:19 AM
I used have a moped with a 49cc motor that weighed 125lbs. I was getting about 140-145 mpg. I think that one is probably geared so high they took a lap or two to reach the max 15mph.

Reminds me of the Pogue carburetor. Some students at U of Calgary built on for a 1968 Ford 289 V8 and got 240mpg on a track. I have plans for that carb somewhere but it is too dangerous too ever run in public.
It has a heat exchanger the size of two medicine balls. The gas is heated and evaporated with the exhaust to about 200F and blown into the manifold at about 12psi.
Basically a bomb waiting for a fuse. One intake backfire and boom.

mugaliens
2007-Apr-26, 04:24 PM
I can't fathom how they managed to eek more than 300 mph from a 50 cc engine - even on scooters they get no better gas milage than around 90.

One of the factors of gas milage is simply the raw size of the engine!

There are diesel, 4-stroke model airplane engines with about 1/10th the displacement that I'm sure would have been a much better contender.

NEOWatcher
2007-Apr-26, 04:37 PM
I can't fathom how they managed to eek more than 300 mph from a 50 cc engine - even on scooters they get no better gas milage than around 90.
A lot can be tweeked between Horsepower, Torque, and RMP curves. In a real-life engine, there has to be a peak Torque to get any kind of acceleration. In this engine, it only has to run as hard as flat level friction is being imparted on the vehicle, so you can tune just about all the torque out of it.