PDA

View Full Version : Matter Should Dominate the Universe Forever

Fraser
2007-Apr-25, 09:12 PM
Thanks to Einstein, we know that matter and energy are just different versions of one another. E=mc2 tells you how much energy you'd get if you converted mass into energy. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/04/25/matter-should-dominate-the-universe-forever/)

StarLab
2007-Apr-26, 04:28 AM
Meh. I don't mean to bring faith into this, but I always had a feeling that we wouldn't be ripped apart or folded back into a singularity in some quadrillion years. And frankly, these results do not surprise me. This coupled with the discovery of the habitable-zone planet (possibly with water) that you covered as well convinces me that there is a Great Force looking out for us, out there, somewhere...

BlackKnight
2007-Apr-26, 07:50 AM
Meh. I don't mean to bring faith into this, but I always had a feeling that we wouldn't be ripped apart or folded back into a singularity in some quadrillion years. And frankly, these results do not surprise me. This coupled with the discovery of the habitable-zone planet (possibly with water) that you covered as well convinces me that there is a Great Force looking out for us, out there, somewhere...

None of us are going to live forever, but it's unsettling to think that all we knew could be destroyed regardless of how many trillions of years it my be after we are gone. That is why I've never liked the catastrophic ending ideas regarding our universe.

It's a dangerous universe no doubt. Asteroids, gamma-ray burst, blackholes, our own sun and such. There are more than enough horrid ways the universe can kill you, but at least an advanced race could avoid the ones I mentioned. Yet, so many scientist seam obsessed with coming up with ideas that suggest that one way or another we're (as in the entire universe, not just us) all going to die.

It won't matter how advanced we get or how far we go. It's like "you're going to die one way or another, so lets talk about all the gruesome ways it could happen. Do you want to be crunched together in an infinitely small space? How about torn apart at the seams, atom by atom? How about instant death on a cosmic scale when our universe crashes into some unseen brane?"

I know this is off topic, but all this talk makes me remember something from a Star Trek book. In it there was this bit about a world Q had visited that had built a machine to simulate how their world would end. It was such an popular thing that the worlds entire economy was based on the gruesome fantasy. Then just for the fun of it Q made it happen to them for real and the people weren’t amused anymore so Q stopped and put their world back together.

Anywho... I hope this version of things is true. It might mean that at some point you won't be able to explore galaxies far, far, away... let alone see them. Yet, we'll still have our home galaxy.

Darrrius
2007-Apr-27, 02:49 PM
Hiya - I know the picture is a computer simulatiion of dark energy's influence - but this doesnt mean much to me! Could someone explain in more details what the image is all about?

Many Thanks

Darrrius
2007-May-01, 09:29 AM
Anyone?

Nick4
2007-Jun-07, 02:14 AM
Thanks to Einstein, we know that matter and energy are just different versions of one another. E=mc2 tells you how much energy you'd get if you converted mass into energy. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/04/25/matter-should-dominate-the-universe-forever/)

I like that little coment in the description "dont try its hard".

Just had to say it

Nick4
2007-Jun-07, 02:16 AM
Hiya - I know the picture is a computer simulatiion of dark energy's influence - but this doesnt mean much to me! Could someone explain in more details what the image is all about?

Many Thanks

Im just as confused as you but i think that the pic is just a chart like thing in where all the red is matter and the black is dark matter...its just like a "this:that" type thing...hope i helped.