PDA

View Full Version : I'm lost for words.

The Rat
2002-Feb-14, 02:36 PM
There is really no cheesy comment I could think of that would do justice to this;

http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/features/aliens.cfm

Have fun.

2002-Feb-14, 02:48 PM
<a name="20020214.8:16"> page 20020214.8:16 aka Hu?
On 2002-02-14 09:36, The Rat wrote: To: HUb'
There is really no cheesy comment I could think of that would do justice to this;

Have fun.

http://www.dailyemerald.com/pages/archive/
[/quote]

Wiley
2002-Feb-14, 03:48 PM
On 2002-02-14 09:36, The Rat wrote:

Have fun.

Yeah, sometimes anything you could say would just be redundant.

Although the alien implant article explains alot. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Roy Batty
2002-Feb-14, 08:59 PM
New site to me.. think The Onion & Satire Wire are better though /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Kaptain K
2002-Feb-14, 09:09 PM
The Weekly World News is a tabloid like (and published by the same outfit as) The National Enquirer. It is not presented as satire. It is presented as being true and factual. Believe it or not, there are people over here who think that every word and picture is the gospel truth! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kaptain K on 2002-02-14 16:10 ]</font>

Simon
2002-Feb-14, 09:36 PM
On 2002-02-14 16:09, Kaptain K wrote:
It is not presented as satire.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kaptain K on 2002-02-14 16:10 ]</font>

...Are you sure? I mean, when it gives lines like:
"And the maverick Swiss scientist, Dr. Henrik Schenkel, vows to take a backseat to no one in getting straight to the bottom of the mystery."

And that's not the half of it. I wouldn't pass judgement on the satire just yet.

Roy Batty
2002-Feb-14, 09:59 PM
If its not satire of some sort the mind boggles. Then again, some people believe The Onion http://www.snopes.com/humor/iftrue/potter.htm
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Jigsaw
2002-Feb-15, 02:04 AM
Er, the Weekly World News is quite well-known as a tabloid (THE tabloid) that quite cheerfully makes everything up. Read I Watched A Wild Hog Eat My Baby!, for a marvelous inside look at the tabloids. In it, the current WWN publisher quite happily admits, "Yeah, 100% of what's in there is totally made up."

And the scary thing is, there are still people who believe it.

Sign me,

A SATISFIED SUBSCRIBER

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously. It comes in the mail once a week, so I don't have to worry about missing an issue at the grocery store. And hey, we FIGHT over it, when it comes. "Three-Legged Skater Banned from Olympics! Hey, I wanna read that!" "Wait your turn!"

Faaaaabulous stuff...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jigsaw on 2002-02-14 21:05 ]</font>

ChallegedChimp
2002-Feb-15, 12:22 PM
Sheesh... I thought I was a dumb monkey...but people actually believe that stuff? Let me guess, The Weekly World News orignated the moon hoax theory right?

Great for a laugh though.
And I guess Harry Potter is the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons for the new generation.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChallegedChimp on 2002-02-15 07:23 ]</font>

The Rat
2002-Feb-15, 12:37 PM
I got a kick out of this bit in the ‘article’ headlined ‘Space alien was ignored 6 hours’;

"We've missed a wonderful opportunity to learn more about our neighbors in space - it's impossible to overstate just how tragic this really is," declared a source at the National Science Foundation, which has launched a hush-hush probe into the incident.
"It may be 1,000 years before another extraterrestrial lands on Earth, comes right out into the open and announces he's here."

A thousand years?!?!?! This guy obviously doesn’t read the papers, at least not the Weekly World News. According to them they’re dropping in daily.

Huh! Some ‘scientist’ this clown is!

Valiant Dancer
2002-Feb-15, 12:38 PM
On 2002-02-14 21:04, Jigsaw wrote:
Er, the Weekly World News is quite well-known as a tabloid (THE tabloid) that quite cheerfully makes everything up. Read I Watched A Wild Hog Eat My Baby!, for a marvelous inside look at the tabloids. In it, the current WWN publisher quite happily admits, "Yeah, 100% of what's in there is totally made up."

And the scary thing is, there are still people who believe it.

Sign me,

A SATISFIED SUBSCRIBER

Seriously. It comes in the mail once a week, so I don't have to worry about missing an issue at the grocery store. And hey, we FIGHT over it, when it comes. "Three-Legged Skater Banned from Olympics! Hey, I wanna read that!" "Wait your turn!"

Faaaaabulous stuff...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jigsaw on 2002-02-14 21:05 ]</font>

I used to read it on a regular basis for the laughs. Past titles were

"Neckties make men stupid"
"My space-alien hubby left me for another woman"
And a rash of posting here was triggered by
"Looking at hooters makes men live longer"

As professional wrestling is "Sports entertainment", the WWN is "News entertainment".

The Rat
2002-Feb-15, 12:48 PM
On 2002-02-15 07:38, Valiant Dancer wrote:"Looking at hooters makes men live longer"

Just a second. The other day I was looking at some and my wife told me that if I continued I wouldn't live much longer.

So who's right?
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Valiant Dancer
2002-Feb-15, 02:09 PM
On 2002-02-15 07:48, The Rat wrote:

On 2002-02-15 07:38, Valiant Dancer wrote:"Looking at hooters makes men live longer"

Just a second. The other day I was looking at some and my wife told me that if I continued I wouldn't live much longer.

So who's right?

We're both married, Rat. Do you really need to ask.

Men's rules of marrige.

1) The man is ALWAYS wrong.

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Feb-15, 02:13 PM
So who's right?
If a man posts to the internet, is he still wrong?

Kaptain K
2002-Feb-15, 02:40 PM
If a man posts to the internet, is he still wrong?
Only if he's married! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Rule 2: When in doubt - see rule 1

Pi Man
2002-May-11, 02:22 AM
You gotta admit: it's funny! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

P.S. I think I just might have believed that alien that wandered L.A. for six hours trying to convince people he was an alien.

Ad Hominid
2002-May-11, 12:49 PM
On 2002-02-15 07:22, ChallegedChimp wrote:
Let me guess, The Weekly World News orignated the moon hoax theory right?

The WWN crew takes the same "relaxed" approach to consistency as they do to factuality. They didn't actually originate the moon hoax, but they have run a couple of pro-HB articles over the years. They have cheerfully contradicted these with articles endorsing the reality of the moon landings, like the one about astronauts finding an alien grave on the moon.
My favorite WWN story reported that a UFO with a Confederate flag painted on the bottom had overflown a bull fight in Mexico, and played "Dixie" as it zoomed past. That one should be good for a whole series of conspiracy books: General Lee and the Tau Cetans or Gettysburg and Area 51: 139 years of deception.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ad Hominid on 2002-05-11 09:09 ]</font>

Pi Man
2002-Jul-09, 09:25 PM
What's this about the Bat Boy?

Ignatius
2002-Aug-02, 10:42 PM

So who's right?

Bad news, Rat. The wife is right:-o

Behave, or else... http://www.thegeek.nu/Media/Movies/Mouse_final.mpeg

Good Luck! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Your Undisclosed Recipient /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif