PDA

View Full Version : What If The Earth Had No Moon?

TheGalaxyTrio
2003-Jun-09, 07:33 PM
A one hour show on the Science Channel. Narrated by Patrick Stewart.

Decent show depicting current theories of the moon's origins (or the Gigantic Space Kablooey impact as Calvin might have called it) and how things on Earth might be different without it.

Sadly, they took time to perpetuate the myth that the full moon brings with it increased crimes rates and generally weird human behavior.

Over one hundred studies have failed to show a significant correlation (greater than chance or random clustering) between the phase of the moon and crime rates.

Was is generally believed to happen is that the police officers at a crime scene simply notice the moon more when it is full, and thus develop a classic self-decpetion and confirmation bias.

dgruss23
2003-Jun-09, 09:17 PM
Neil F. Comins wrote a great book titled "What if the Moon didn't exist?". We got into a debate about the role of the Moon in supporting life on Earth in the Venus and Creationism thread in the Against the Mainstream Forum.

tracer
2003-Jun-11, 07:56 PM
One theory is that, without the moon's tidal kneading, the solid surface of the Earth would not be as bumpy as it is today -- meaning that no land masses would stick out above sea level and the oceans would cover everything. This would obviously prevent the evolution of land-dwelling organisms, and without dry land you can't make fire, and without fire you can't make refined metals and printing presses and radio telescopes. So our very existence is entirely the moon's fault.

Geo3gh
2003-Jun-12, 01:17 AM
So our very existence is entirely the moon's fault.

I knew there was a reason I didn't like the moon. Darn shifty-eyed satellite.

:lol:

freddo
2003-Jun-12, 01:29 AM
I knew there was a reason I didn't like the moon. Darn shifty-eyed satellite.

Yeah - it's always hiding [close to] half of itself from us - what's it got behind it's back?!?!?!?!?

BigJim
2003-Jun-12, 01:31 AM
One theory is that, without the moon's tidal kneading, the solid surface of the Earth would not be as bumpy as it is today -- meaning that no land masses would stick out above sea level and the oceans would cover everything. This would obviously prevent the evolution of land-dwelling organisms, and without dry land you can't make fire, and without fire you can't make refined metals and printing presses and radio telescopes. So our very existence is entirely the moon's fault.

I don't support that theory. Try to explain Mars with it.

freddo
2003-Jun-12, 01:38 AM
I don't support that theory. Try to explain Mars with it.

You're right, that's a big hole... I think the moon does play a crucial role, but I don't think it's absence would have left Earth a watery billiard ball....

Mars is definitely a classic example of the hole in that theory....

dgruss23
2003-Jun-12, 02:51 AM
One of the most interesting effects of the Moon is the stabilizing effect it is thought to have on the axial tilt. Some have argued (such as Ward&Brownlee in their book Rare Earth) that without the Moon's influence the Earth's axis would wobble significantly which could potentially destabilize the climate.

Ba Witda
2003-Jun-12, 04:32 AM
Ba recently travelled to an alternate reality where the wolf-like squid roaming the surface of this world howled at the sun.

So that's what would have happened if Zeus hadn't played snooker with Ba with the planetoids that night...

ToSeek
2003-Jun-12, 04:38 PM
Ba recently travelled to an alternate reality where the wolf-like squid roaming the surface of this world howled at the sun.

Land squid?

g99
2003-Jun-12, 05:06 PM

Land squid?

I think he saw the Animal Planet special about going 200 m.y. in the future. They had a obsession with Squid.

dgruss23
2003-Jun-12, 05:10 PM

Land squid?

I think he saw the Animal Planet special about going 200 m.y. in the future. They had a obsession with Squid.

That was a pretty neat special. Although they made sure to put us in our place by having the last species of primate eaten by giant birds. And that whole thing about the spiders stockpiling seeds to attract small mammals that they would then eat was a little wierd.

g99
2003-Jun-12, 05:24 PM
See i thought the Spider idea was one of the few ideas that was very possible. It happens now with other animals (ants farm fungus), so why not spiders in a few million years?

wedgebert
2003-Jun-12, 07:51 PM
See i thought the Spider idea was one of the few ideas that was very possible. It happens now with other animals (ants farm fungus), so why not spiders in a few million years?

Because spiders are evil, and if my plan suceeds, I'll rid the earth of every last one of them.

tracer
2003-Jun-12, 10:19 PM
Well ... squid and octopus, anyway.

PUDAK
2003-Jun-13, 05:00 AM
Neil F. Comins wrote a great book titled "What if the Moon didn't exist?". We got into a debate about the role of the Moon in supporting life on Earth in the Venus and Creationism thread in the Against the Mainstream Forum.

I remember reading that book back when I was in middle school... I had all but forgotten about it. If I recall correctly, Comins also discusses some other interesting scenarios, like what could happen if a massive star system passed through ours, or a possible result of a nearby star going supernova.

eburacum45
2003-Jun-17, 06:34 AM
One thing that the formation of the Moon might have affected is the density of the earth;
because of some kind of sorting process during the collision and afterward,
the Moon is mostly lighter material, while the Earth is more dense than it should be, and therefore has a higher gravity;

For this reason, it seems likely that the density of many earth-type planets in other solar systems would be somewhat lower, which means they would either have lower surface gravity or have larger diameters for the same gravity.
Some, or many, Earth type planets are likely to be larger than Earth for the same surface gravity, assuming that the composition of the primordial dust cloud is anything like that of the solar sytem.

in reality, I suppose, every solar system will have a different ratio of heavy metals.

rst
2003-Jun-17, 12:17 PM
i am ashamed that none of you have even stopped to consider the effect on werewolves. The amount of money they'd be able to save on shaving cream.....

mutant
2003-Jun-17, 02:33 PM
TheGalaxyTrio said

Sadly, they took time to perpetuate the myth that the full moon brings with it increased crimes rates and generally weird human behavior.

I realize that it isnt scientifically verifiable, but after having worked in ER's for 20 years most of us working there did come to believe that there may be a connection. A night with a full moon did often bring in more patients and unusual circumstances.
I am sure that talking about it just made the night more interesting for us but if you ask most people in law enforcement, medical or emergency services they will tend to agree that it is a busier time.

TheGalaxyTrio
2003-Jun-17, 02:45 PM
I am sure that talking about it just made the night more interesting for us but if you ask most people in law enforcement, medical or emergency services they will tend to agree that it is a busier time.

http://skepdic.com/confirmbias.html

There was one study that seemed to show more ER admissions on full moons. When someone went back and looked at the data, they found the data sample had a bias in the number of full moons that fell on weekends, and there are more ER admissions on weekends for a bevy of very mundane reasons.

mutant
2003-Jun-18, 01:41 AM
THeGalaxyTrio said:

and there are more ER admissions on weekends for a bevy of very mundane reasons.

Maybe it was just a bevy of very "moondane" reasons. Nyuk nyuk nyuk. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Pyrogenesis
2003-Jun-18, 04:05 AM
If there were no moon, there would be no Moon River, and thus, no Moon River Brewing Company, home of the famous Moon Pecan Pie, which is the best Pecan Pie in the WORLD. This would be TRAGIC I tell you; much more tragic than supposed "strange occurances" attributable to a full moon.

:D

tjm220
2003-Jun-18, 04:18 PM
What would all the crazy people do? Live normal, healthy and productive lives? :D

Karthesios
2003-Jun-19, 07:51 AM

I remember reading that book back when I was in middle school... I had all but forgotten about it. If I recall correctly, Comins also discusses some other interesting scenarios, like what could happen if a massive star system passed through ours, or a possible result of a nearby star going supernova.

Most interesting, I thought, was the scenario of a black hole passing through the solar system (namely Earth)...either a "primordial" black hole or a stellar remnant black hole...

dgruss23
2003-Jun-20, 02:15 AM

Most interesting, I thought, was the scenario of a black hole passing through the solar system (namely Earth)...either a "primordial" black hole or a stellar remnant black hole...

All the scenarios were interesting. I also liked the chapter about what the Earth would be like if it rotated on its side like uranus.

I always thought it would be interesting to consider what things would be like if the solar system was located halfway between the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies - just from the cultural point of view.

BigJim
2003-Jun-20, 01:23 PM
I had a chance to browse that book at a library about a year ago. I'm going to get it from my library today. They also had the case of Earth with a larger Moon.