PDA

View Full Version : Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT Telescope

buttersworth
2007-May-08, 07:25 PM
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and was curious if anyone has had any experience with this telescope. I am pretty set on it and am about to buy it. It seems a little more advanced then a beginner scope, but I want something good. Let me know what you people think.

http://www.telescopes.ca/telescopes/RENDER/5/1024/1047/11978.html

Thanks,

slotdrag
2007-May-09, 03:02 AM
I have the smae scope but its smaller. I have a 76gt. I love the little scope its easy to align and it puts the target in the eyepeice every time. When i take it out under really drak skys ive seen lots of things. Ive seen all the planets except pluto. but if pluto is not a planet then ive seen them all. In my opinion it has good quality its very portable. Has good optics and is easy to use. I would do a day time run through just to learn your way around the scope.

buttersworth
2007-May-12, 11:46 PM
Thank You,

With this scope I can just punch in a code and it goes to it by itself? Is it motorized? That's what I'm looking for.

slotdrag
2007-May-12, 11:57 PM
To start you level and point it north. The you hit align and it slews to a bright star and to center it in the eye peice. Then hit the align button again and it slews to another bright star and you will center it. Hit the button angain and it will say sucess what do you want to see? It has many options or you can put in the catalog # and it will go. So yes its motorized. so it tracks the object also.

slotdrag
2007-May-13, 12:01 AM
Heres a picture of mt 76gt and my two youngest.

buttersworth
2007-May-13, 07:12 PM
Thanks Slotdrag. I want to view stars and whatever planets I can see. Anything. I'm new to Astronomy and just had a Tasco telescope, but it flew off the table and the scope you center stuff with went flying across the house! Also it now has a huge dent in the side and can't use it if I can't ceter on things. So after a brief minute of anger, I decided a newer better one is the answer. I'm really liking this one already.

slotdrag
2007-May-14, 12:07 AM
Heres some pictures Ive taken through mine. I just hold the digtail camera to the eyepeice.

buttersworth
2007-May-14, 01:04 AM
Very nice pics slotdrag. I hope I can get close to the moon with this one. The scope I showed the link for at that place is gonna be over 600 bucks after tax. I want to make sure it's worth it. I like that it's motorized and I can just punch it in and away it goes. A little bit of aligning is no big deal. Does it take batteries or?

slotdrag
2007-May-14, 02:12 AM
Yes 4 AA's or with a cig. lighter adpt. I have a portable jumper box for cars.