PDA

View Full Version : ummm....d'oh....maybe it's the internet?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2007-May-09, 02:11 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/05/09/tv.missingviewers.ap/index.html

NEOWatcher
2007-May-09, 02:21 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/05/09/tv.missingviewers.ap/index.html
Nope; I don't agree with your assesment and do agree with the article (mostly). Opinion only, of course, but I base this on people that I know.
Habits have changed, TV is garbage, taping shows is more common. I think Internet is more of a "where do I go" rather than a "what did I replace".

ToSeek
2007-May-09, 02:45 PM
I don't think TV is any worse than it used to be - there are just many more options for what to watch and how to watch it.

Tog
2007-May-09, 02:49 PM
My shows are
Monday Heroes and 24
Tuesday
Wednesday CSI New York
Thursday CSI
Friday Numb3rs, Monk & Psych when available. Of these, only 24 HAS to be watched from the TV. NBC.com airs Heroes starting at about 3 AM my time the day after it airs. That means I can record it when it's on, then go to work and watch it in the middle of the night before I could come home and see the recording of it. Everything else on my list is available through the On Demand Service I have with my cable.

I did manage to find the first 4 episodes of 24 on the net when I found out I missed the start of the season. I also had to watch another ep from the local Fox affiliate website when the airing was interrupted by a news event.

With the way they are tracking the numbers, I'm not surprised that they see viewership is down. The article says the recorded program has to be seen within 24 hours to count. It's not unusual for me to wait until the weekend to watch the stuff from Wednesday on. Poor data collection does not a crisis make.

The think that sort of bothers me though it the thought that eventually all TV programs may be pay per view services. Broadcast TV will end up News, infomercials, and talk shows, everything else has to go on the bill. Not that I've seen talk of that anyplace, but it seems pretty plausible to me.

Matherly
2007-May-09, 03:05 PM
The think that sort of bothers me though it the thought that eventually all TV programs may be pay per view services.

Doesn't bother me. I will be overjoyed when I can directly support the shows I love and ignore the [pick an unflattering word] I don't.

NEOWatcher
2007-May-09, 03:08 PM
I don't think TV is any worse than it used to be - there are just many more options for what to watch and how to watch it.
I guess they're just a lot harder to find among all the "noise".

Kind of like when the shot of whiskey tastes better as a shot, rather than watered down. There's more drink, it doesn't taste as well, but it's still a shot of whiskey.

Gillianren
2007-May-09, 08:16 PM
I've said before that I don't want pay-per-view TV. I think a vast majority of people in my income bracket agree, and probably a few in a higher income bracket as well. I don't want to pay for a show until I know it's good.

Fazor
2007-May-09, 08:29 PM
I just found the headline comical when I saw it this morning (I'm finding a lot of things that would normally be classified as "annoying" as "comical". must be in a good mood).

Basically, they've spent the last who-knows-how-many years saying "people watch too much tv!" "Tv rots your brain!" "people need to get out and live life instead of watching it on tv" etc etc., but now it's "OMG!!! TV VIEWERSHIP DOWN?! WHAT CAN NETWORKS DO?!?!!" Okay so they're not *that* alarmist, but still the article is written as though this is a problem, and not perhaps a good thing.

Oh, and to add to your comment TooSeek, there's also more choice of WHEN to watch something. You no longer have to watch, say, whatever crappy show they put between Simpsons and Family Guy, you can just Tivo them and watch them at your leisure.

mr obvious
2007-May-09, 10:36 PM
Doesn't bother me. I will be overjoyed when I can directly support the shows I love and ignore the [pick an unflattering word] I don't.

A nice thought, until they get wise and pack stuff together. Want your favorite show X? Sure, but it comes with A, B, R, and W, which you may or may not want. Plus, you pay for all of them.

PhantomWolf
2007-May-09, 10:37 PM
Well we don't have a choice of DVO or On Demand, and though we supposedly get the best of British, US, Aust and NZ TV programmes, it's to, be blunt, crap. My weekly programme veiwing currently consists of Myth Busters, Bones, Heroes, House, CSI:NY, Lost, Rove (an Australian talkshow thing), The Simpsons, CSI, and Jericho. The rest of the time I either spend on the Internet, playing SWG, my own MUX, or surfing, or watch DVDs. The last Series of 24 we had was boring, and I don't even watch SG-1 anymore (it's on at 1pm on a Saturday and I have series 9 on DVD anyway.) The rest of the programming we have seems to be either stupid "comedies" or reality shows (which I am soooooooooooo sick to death of.) TV just isn't worth watching anymore, it's full of trash.

novaderrik
2007-May-09, 11:19 PM
recording tv shows to watch later isn't a new thing that came along only after Tivo was invented- am i the only person who's ever bothered to set the VCR to record something while i was at work so i could watch it when i got home?
right now, the only thing keeping me from getting a Tivo or something similar is the fact that you have to not only pay for the service, but they get to keep track of what you record and when you watch it. if the government would have just let us keep using our PC's with a tv tuner card to record stuff without having to pay a fee, i'd be all over it. but nope, they couldn't have that. they decided they wanted to allow some big multinational company get paid when you want to record reruns of Hogan's Heroes or Silver Spoons.

Gillianren
2007-May-09, 11:44 PM
recording tv shows to watch later isn't a new thing that came along only after Tivo was invented- am i the only person who's ever bothered to set the VCR to record something while i was at work so i could watch it when i got home?

Nope. It's why I've got tapes and tapes full of Remington Steele (gradually getting taped over, since I've got it on DVD now), Iron Chef, Good Eats, and MST3K.

Noclevername
2007-May-14, 01:37 AM
The multitude of channels that must be constantly refilled with material has, IMHO, made the networks (cable and broadcast) less discriminating about what they air, so long as they air something. It's especially evident on the 24-hour "newstainment" channels, that's why there's so many jabbering pundits bloating the airwaves; the stations need to stay on the air, whether anything newsworthy is happening or not. And three MTVs, six ESPNs, twenty HBOs*, etc? Wasted airtime. I call for the All Mythbusters Channel.

*...and a partridge in a pear tree!

Doodler
2007-May-16, 03:20 PM

Even better when shows live or die based on actual popularity, not some executive's strings being pulled by some advertising agency's marketing geek.