PDA

View Full Version : New Mission Could Find Star Trek's Planet Vulcan

Fraser
2007-May-11, 06:56 PM
All right, this article from NASA is totally pandering to my Star Trek geekiness. I know I'm being manipulated, but I just... can't... resist. According to NASA, their upcoming SIM PlanetQuest mission should be able to find Star Trek's planet Vulcan. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/05/11/new-mission-could-find-star-treks-planet-vulcan/)

vodyanoj
2007-May-12, 12:15 AM
...except for the fact that 40 Eri is <b>not</b> eps Eri, I agree with you completely...;)

Van Rijn
2007-May-12, 01:13 AM
Ah, that explains it. I was wondering about the one comment on Epsilon Eridani. Epsilon Eridani is about 10.5 light years away and not a triple star system. 40 Eridani A is.

Fraser
2007-May-12, 03:08 AM
I don't know what it is with me and Epsilon Eridani. I'm cursed by it.

RUF
2007-May-15, 02:10 AM
Epsilon Eridani is already known to have two planets (or at least one):

Epsilon Eridani (18 Eridani, HD 22049, Gliese 144, also: BD- 09 697)
Planet: b = Mj 1.00, a = 3.4 AU, e = 0.6
Planet(?) c = est. Mj 0.10, a = 40 AU, e = 0.3

Perhaps "b" is Vulcan ;)

i_u_younis@yahoo.india.co
2007-May-15, 07:25 AM
hi sir i am 19 years old wants to get some tips on my reasrch origin & living humans from cosmology.can i get that.

younis mustafa khan india

i_u_younis@yahoo.india.co
2007-May-15, 07:26 AM
:clap:

hi sir i am 19 years old wants to get some tips on my reasrch origin & living humans from cosmology.can i get that.

younis mustafa khan india

vodyanoj
2007-May-17, 04:57 AM
I don't know what it is with me and Epsilon Eridani. I'm cursed by it.

Eps Eri, Tau Cet and Eps Ind are the three stars that, years ago, were considered to be the most likely candidates for life. When I was a wee young pioneer in the USSR in the 70's, I read a great juvenile science fiction book--Project Alpha K-1-- that was all about an attempt to build a spaceship to go to one of those stars. I think I picked up my own addiction to Eps Eri then...

suitti
2007-May-31, 01:09 PM
Not only is Epsilon Eridani really close, it's getting closer. So, in a few million years, it may be close enough that we'd want to send probes or colony ships that way. It's also younger than the Sun, so it might be a reasonable direction to go to start human infection of the Galaxy. I personally would like to see the infection well under way before the Millkdromeda merger, if only so that at least bits of us will be part of the new mega-eliptical.

Nick4
2007-Jun-07, 01:15 AM
Star treak is comming to life...YES